HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canes Board Lounge VI: Tennessee needs a hug

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2012, 04:02 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Callahan View Post
Do not want?

Wat.

As disappointing as the MLS's decisions are regarding americanization of the sport, it would still be great for the area to have a professional sports option during the Hurricanes offseason.

Well hey, what do you know, the Bulls schedule runs from April 5, 2012 to September 3, 2012 and the Mudcats schedule runs from April 6 to September 3. Add in playoff runs for either team and you stretch into late September, pretty close to when hockey starts back up.

Old
04-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Quacktastic
Whoopsie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post

Well hey, what do you know, the Bulls schedule runs from April 5, 2012 to September 3, 2012 and the Mudcats schedule runs from April 6 to September 3. Add in playoff runs for either team and you stretch into late September, pretty close to when hockey starts back up.
Too bad its just plain painful to sit through an entire baseball game.

Que the argument on why soccer isn't any better...

Old
04-09-2012, 04:33 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacktastic View Post
Too bad its just plain painful to sit through an entire baseball game.

Que the argument on why soccer isn't any better...
That would be "queue the argument" and I never quite understand why people whine and moan about how "painful" it is to sit through an entire baseball game. Maybe our culture is becoming an increasingly ADD one that can't be bothered to sit down to a baseball game any more. Maybe we've lost touch with what makes baseball a good sport and rather than try to regain that we're content to use it as an excuse to sit around and gab with friends while I'm trying to score a game (it never fails...there's always some parents with poorly behaved kids or hipsters talking about braiding their armpit hair or yuppies jabbering in my ear while I'm trying to watch the game).

As for soccer, I understand it's a low-scoring game but it just does nothing for me, really. It was fun to be in a big crowd watching the Eurocup while I was in the Czech Republic but the appeal to me was the big crowd (and the cheap Staropramen). It seems to me the main reason people point to soccer as a sport that needs to be watched is because it's the most popular sport in the world - by that logic, McDonald's is easily the best restaurant in the world. Quantity does not equate to quality. I'll take a nice spring or summer, or even autumn day with the smell of fresh cut grass in the air, the sound of a pitcher throwing warm-up tosses to the catcher, bats knocking in hits and RBIs, hecklers booing the opposition, and the interminable suspense followed by the punctuated resolution of a full count to "the beautiful game. "

Old
04-09-2012, 04:53 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Quote:

I'd rather rip my eyes out with my bare hands. I also meant a MAJOR professional league.

EDIT: Oh, right. The reason I came to this thread in the first place:

If you create a savecity.com account on your smart phone or download the app on iOS, you can get a free 10" one topping pizza at any of the 4 Mellow Mushrooms in the area through Thursday.

I think each location is only giving out 100 each day, but it definitely works. The girlfriend and I picked up two earlier.

Last edited by halleJOKEL: 04-09-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old
04-09-2012, 05:00 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Callahan View Post
I'd rather rip my eyes out with my bare hands. I also meant a MAJOR professional league.
Funny, that's how I feel about soccer.

You also originally said "pro." Not major pro, just pro. I'd also argue that even though the Bulls are a minor league team they're more internationally known than FC Real United Galaxy or whatever the hell those teams are named.

Old
04-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Clint Dempsey is on fire.

Old
04-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Quacktastic
Whoopsie!

Quote:
That would be "queue the argument" and I never quite understand why people whine and moan about how "painful" it is to sit through an entire baseball game. Maybe our culture is becoming an increasingly ADD one that can't be bothered to sit down to a baseball game any more. Maybe we've lost touch with what makes baseball a good sport and rather than try to regain that we're content to use it as an excuse to sit around and gab with friends while I'm trying to score a game (it never fails...there's always some parents with poorly behaved kids or hipsters talking about braiding their armpit hair or yuppies jabbering in my ear while I'm trying to watch the game).

As for soccer, I understand it's a low-scoring game but it just does nothing for me, really. It was fun to be in a big crowd watching the Eurocup while I was in the Czech Republic but the appeal to me was the big crowd (and the cheap Staropramen). It seems to me the main reason people point to soccer as a sport that needs to be watched is because it's the most popular sport in the world - by that logic, McDonald's is easily the best restaurant in the world. Quantity does not equate to quality. I'll take a nice spring or summer, or even autumn day with the smell of fresh cut grass in the air, the sound of a pitcher throwing warm-up tosses to the catcher, bats knocking in hits and RBIs, hecklers booing the opposition, and the interminable suspense followed by the punctuated resolution of a full count to "the beautiful game. "
I understand why a lot of people don't like soccer too. It's never been popular in America, its generally low scoring and slow paced, and there are hardly ever any Americans to cheer for. Not to mention the way their leagues and tournaments work are unlike anything we have here in America (though I do really like their system). Personally, I know several people who do and several people who don't like soccer and there's always one key difference. They have actually played the game. I've found that about 90% of people who have played organized soccer at some point in their life can enjoy watching it. I've played it, and can therefore appreciate even the slow, boring games.

Now to me, baseball is not just not satisfying to watch in almost any way. First off, there's no time limit so there's no telling how long a game could last. Secondly, I feel like there's hardly ever any new strategies that can be evolved. Look at what Cam Newton has done this year in the NFL (different sport I know, but the point gets across), he's shown that you can get the option to work well, and that you can have a QB who is both a good passer and excellent rusher. I could argue out a few of my other opinions, but then this would be getting rather long. Although if I'm being fair, I have never played organized baseball or softball at any level, so maybe that's why I can't appreciate it.

Old
04-09-2012, 06:53 PM
normalpsychology

vCash: 511
yes the triangle needs an MLS team that would be awesome!!! anyone know when this will be happening?

Old
04-09-2012, 07:23 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

I've never played organized soccer, and I have played organized baseball.

Soccer is so much more interesting on every level.

Also, yes, I realize I just said pro. I just assumed everyone would realize I was talking about major sports leagues instead of trying to shoehorn minor league baseball into the conversation again.

Old
04-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
While I do think the change in society argument has some merit, I think the problem is, what makes baseball a good sport to you might not make it good for others. Everyone is different.

I grew up a Cubs fan and every summer was spent playing baseball in the morning then retiring to a friends house to put on WGN and watching a Cubs game, then back on the field after the game was over until our Moms called us for dinner. I played the sport and loved watching it as a kid. I still watch it occasionally, but don't enjoy it as much as football and hockey (part of that is the Cubs really suck )

On the flipside, my kids couldn't care less about baseball. They didn't want to play it so I didn't force them, but they played Lacrosse, soccer, hockey, Tae Kwon Do, etc.. To them, a minor league game is a "social night out" and they enjoy that for the overall experience, but don't get into the game like I did as a kid (so they are more likely to be in the sit around and gab with friends crowd). Other sports are now becoming more popular. When I was a kid, it was football, baseball, basketball and hockey (I grew up in the north). Sports like Soccer, Lacrosse, etc.. were almost non-existent. I think that has some part in why Baseball's popularity is waning.

Old
04-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll

The Mud Cats are sick

Old
04-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
yeeeeee

I'm not going to get into it, but yeah, for me, soccer's WAY better than baseball. I DO play soccer, as in right now, so I'll agree that it helps, but the only one of my friends that likes MLB baseball is going to play D-I baseball next year. Meanwhile, I have SEVERAL friends that have never played soccer before that know more about the professional game than I do.

TBH, it sounds silly, but I think among the high school crowd, and particularly with the crowd that I hang with, soccer's rise in popularity has coincided with the rise in popularity of the FIFA games.

I also read through garnetpalmetto's argument, comparing soccer to McDonald's, and you ALMOST passed that off for real logic, so well done . But, what you failed to do, in comparing saying soccer is the best sport in the world to saying that McDonald's is the best restaurant in the world, is actually address baseball as a comparison. You almost seem to be saying that being the most popular sport in the world is a point AGAINST soccer, which it's obviously not.

It's funny, to me at least, that people hate soccer for being so slow paced, then love baseball, which stops the game for 30 seconds every 4 seconds. I get the nostalgia, I get the "fresh-cut grass" factor, but soccer's got both of those while still being a game that can keep your attention. Calling soccer "boring," then chiding those without the attention span for baseball? Seems like the logic is off there.

But does it really matter? We all like our respective sports for different reasons. I'm sure if my parents took me to a couple of baseball games in a row when I was 6 instead of Canes games, I'd be a diehard baseball fan right now. But, as someone who grew up a fan of neither sport, and currently knows about the same about each sport (players/rosters-wise, not strategy obviously, as I play soccer), I can say that I absolutely would rather sit down and watch a soccer game vs. a baseball game. An hour and a half vs. three hours, with about five times the total interesting action smashed into that hour and a half, PLUS no commercials except for halftime and no delays in the game of over 15 seconds or so.

Old
04-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Both are fun to watch live. I'm not a particular fan of either.

But if we got an MLS team, I would certainly go to several games during the summer.

Both are boring as hell to watch on TV unless I am rooting for one of the teams. But then, most sports are boring on TV when you aren't rooting for either of the teams.

Old
04-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
yeeeeee

And, addressing the ACTUAL issue, I'd go to several games.

I'll actually be going to a couple Railhawks games this year anyway. My former coach/sort of friend just got signed for a season before he's gonna join the Chicago Fire next year (he was projected to be a first-round pick out of Clemson but tore his ACL the day before the combine).

So yeah, if we get a team in the Triangle, I'd definitely go to a couple of games in the summers.

Old
04-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tripps View Post

But if we got an MLS team, I would certainly go to several games during the summer.
I agree. I'm not a fan of Soccer, but would go to some games if we had an MLS team.

Old
04-09-2012, 10:30 PM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

So my wife won this thing from the Carolina Ale House, thanks to attending 4 Canes Cool Bars and also spending at least $10 per visit. (My bar tab is usually in multiples of $50, so it wasn't a high bar to clear.) I was out when she got the phone call, but got an IM composed almost entirely in ALLCAPS and finished off with a "!!!11!!!1!1"

We trucked out to Cary today, and pick this bad boy up. I strapped the thing in the bed of my truck as best as I could, and thought it would be total win for the ride home (North Raleigh, basically). I jump on 440, and sort of forget about it. I hit speed, cruise for a bit, then I look back and it's literally standing on two legs in the truck bed, stretching the straps to the breaking point. My wife had a bit of an emotional episode at this (and I about **** myself thinking about potential liability issues if that ****er takes flight and lands on someone's hood at 60 or 70 mpg). Those stick blades sticking up caught enough air to almost take the thing airborne, tie-downs or no.

So I slow down, jump off on exit 3, and tool over to the PNC Arena. After I slowed down and got off 440, it sat back down on all four legs, but I wanted to be sure that it would be fine for the rest of the way up Creedmoor to Milbrook, etc. (No more 440 for this guy today.)

I went ahead and just pulled into the PNC Parking lot, not really thinking about what day it was today, and that there would be quite a few people around. Hello, exit interview day. I was about ready to lose my **** at this point, and just wanted someplace quiet and out of the way. As I'm in the back of the truck, several of the PNC workers wandered over and admired it, and caught quite a bit of my sailor talk as I'm working the straps over good.

I look up, and there's JR pulling out of the parking lot right in front of us. He's staring right at me as I'm trying to get this thing secured. The look on his face was pure "lol wat?" I gave him sort of a half-assed wave, but he looked the other way and took off. He should have at least offered to jump up there or help me before getting out of there. I can't imagine what he thought about me and that stupid chair.

So after I got the tie-downs worked out, here comes Ron Francis. My wife would probably leave me for Ron if he were available, him being her most favoritest hockey player of all time and childhood hero. He did give us a very friendly wave. In my own private fantasy he pulled over, lept into the bed of the truck, and signed his own name on there in Sharpie.

What a freaking day. So after hauling this damn thing upstairs and camping it out in our bedroom (literally the only floor space we have available), we're now just sort of "OMG WHAT DO WE DO WITH THIS???")

Savor it, I guess. Good memories, and now I've got a sore shoulder from packing it up the stairs to go along.

Old
04-09-2012, 10:35 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
yeeeeee

That's awesome.

Old
04-09-2012, 11:00 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

I made a shelf out of a lot of my broken sticks that I used to store my hockey equipment on at home, but that chair is pretty damn awesome. Nice haul.

Old
04-09-2012, 11:09 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
ok that thing is badass.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:19 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

That is awesome.

04-10-2012, 12:24 AM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

Holy cow... Paul won it! My girlfriend thought that chair was awesome, but we couldn't win it since we typically only go to the Cool Bars here. Well done, sir!

I didn't know there was an Ale House table, too... that is total legitimacy.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:27 AM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll

That chair is pretty epic

Old
04-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Guy

Steve Smith extension signed with Panthers - http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...year-extension

Old
04-10-2012, 10:25 AM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

I've finally come to the conclusion that the chair and table are pretty boss. When I rolled out of bed this morning it was the first thing I saw, inspiring yet another, "Wow, WTF!"

I haven't sat in it, but the cat seems to love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocanes88 View Post
Holy cow... Paul won it! My girlfriend thought that chair was awesome, but we couldn't win it since we typically only go to the Cool Bars here. Well done, sir!

I didn't know there was an Ale House table, too... that is total legitimacy.
The Ale House table was a total surprise to me as well. It really tied the room together.

Old
04-10-2012, 10:52 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulProteus View Post
I've finally come to the conclusion that the chair and table are pretty boss. When I rolled out of bed this morning it was the first thing I saw, inspiring yet another, "Wow, WTF!"

I haven't sat in it, but the cat seems to love it.

The Ale House table was a total surprise to me as well. It really tied the room together.
Both of those are things of beauty that I'm woefully jealous of.

Closed Thread