HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Bobrovsky Sophomore Slump

Old
04-09-2012, 05:22 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
And Price, beside being a 5th overall pick, has definitely been equipped with more natural talent than Bob from the beginning.

Way to go for Bob. Very unlikely he will still wear the O&B when he finally hits his peak if he ever becomes a fulltime starting goaltender in this league.
Errr... What?

They both come from different countries
Different 'resources'

I think Bob has more talent than Price and is a much better reflex goalie than Price. Bob hasn't played as much and at the same level as Price has at all b/c of the competition levels. I think if Bob would have been 'developed' over here he would be better than he has shown recently (which is still not bad).

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 08:14 PM
DrHamburg

I feel the Flyers can get either a late first or maybe 2, 2nd rounders. I like bob, but lets be honest....he is an athletic goalie but seems to be quite slim up top. He goes down way too quick and gets beat high a ton. Plus he lets in softies. At this point, the money he is making for a backup and bryz's strong play the 2nd half of the season, if you can get a Varlamov deal you take it.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Kaktus*

Would be nice if we could move him to Columbus, Tampa, SJ maybe Leafs or some other team that needs young potential. Bobrovsky needs playing time, doubt he will play 30 games next season.

Between Bernier, Schneider there is not much else out there.

NJD will be in play for golatender too. Maybe there is a market for Bob.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:11 PM
flyingsouth

It's funny how Bob's play fell off just as Bryz started playing well... Perhaps he lost confidence as he knows he won't get a shot at being number one here if Bryz keeps it up? As much as I like him and I'd hate to see him go, I think he'd be far more likely to flourish at a new team where he has a shot at being the bona fide number one, as opposed to just marking time behind a guy with 8 years left on his contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Would be nice if we could move him to Columbus, Tampa, SJ maybe Leafs or some other team that needs young potential. Bobrovsky needs playing time, doubt he will play 30 games next season.

Between Bernier, Schneider there is not much else out there.

NJD will be in play for golatender too. Maybe there is a market for Bob.
SJ? Nah, they've got Griess behind Niemi and he seems pretty good. The other options though, I could see that working. However, I think the Leafs will go for an older head to start as they try to develop Reimer (meaning I think they will let Gus go).

I think the best fits for Bob would be NJ or TB. If either of them can't get Schneider or Bernier, Bob has got to be one of the best experienced young guys who is available. Heck, even if Tampa get one of them, they're still a possible destination considering their situation (Roli = probably retiring, Garon = crap, Tokarski = uninspiring).

Last edited by flyingsouth: 04-09-2012 at 11:21 PM.
flyingsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:14 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsouth View Post
It's funny how Bob's play fell off just as Bryz started playing well... Perhaps he lost confidence as he knows he won't get a shot at being number one here if Bryz keeps it up? As much as I like him and I'd hate to see him go, I think he'd be far more likely to flourish at a new team where he has a shot at being the bona fide number one, as opposed to just marking time behind a guy with 8 years left on his contract.
Eh, I don't think so. His play was falling off before Bryz got it together. Either he doesn't have the physical or mental stamina to put up with the grind of an entire season. Considering how hard he seems to work, it could be either...possibly both.

04-09-2012, 11:23 PM
flyingsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Eh, I don't think so. His play was falling off before Bryz got it together. Either he doesn't have the physical or mental stamina to put up with the grind of an entire season. Considering how hard he seems to work, it could be either...possibly both.
Could be. From what I have heard from him in interviews he seems like the type who pushes himself so hard that he could be prone to burning himself out by mid year.

flyingsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:31 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Could be. From what I have heard from him in interviews he seems like the type who pushes himself so hard that he could be prone to burning himself out by mid year.
I get the same vibe.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:01 AM
captainpaxil

overpressured as a rokkie underplayed as a sophmore bobrovski is a solid leson in why philly has never been able to develop a goalie prospect. i cant help but think how much better hed be had he been able to play 60+ game with the phantoms. im not itching to throw him on the scrapheap of busted prospects just yet but he definitely strikes me as a guy who graduated too soon.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 06:49 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
SJ? Nah, they've got Griess behind Niemi and he seems pretty good. The other options though, I could see that working. However, I think the Leafs will go for an older head to start as they try to develop Reimer (meaning I think they will let Gus go).

I think the best fits for Bob would be NJ or TB. If either of them can't get Schneider or Bernier, Bob has got to be one of the best experienced young guys who is available. Heck, even if Tampa get one of them, they're still a possible destination considering their situation (Roli = probably retiring, Garon = crap, Tokarski = uninspiring).
I think Bobrovsky is better than Griess but that's just my opinion. Whatever the case might be SJ or some other team.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 04-11-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
And Price . . . has definitely been equipped with more natural talent than Bob from the beginning.
Carey Price was a technical artist before he ever entered the league. Even now, he is definitely an above average athlete in net, even at the NHL level, but I wouldn't say he's any more athletic than Bob. Price just has picture perfect technique, always, and great anticipation most of the time.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:09 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Errr... What?

They both come from different countries
Different 'resources'

I think Bob has more talent than Price and is a much better reflex goalie than Price. Bob hasn't played as much and at the same level as Price has at all b/c of the competition levels. I think if Bob would have been 'developed' over here he would be better than he has shown recently (which is still not bad).

Russia is a big hockey market and the KHL is one of the best (if not the best) league behind the NHL and he spent 2 full pro-seasons there.

Not a single team in the NHL wanted to draft him.
He is about the same age as Semyon Varlamov who was growing up in the middle of no man's land as well (even the same province, if I remember it correctly) but who got recognition from the scouts and got drafted in the first round for a reason.

It's probably true that he (Bob) was not developed properly, didn't have access to a personal goaltending coach,... but it's not like the Flyers organization can compensate for those lost years of his development.
I'm pretty sure there may even be more serious talent hidden somewhere in the Caucasian deserts, but we don't have access to those resources.

Anyway, they can either waive him and give him an opportunity to mature with the Phantoms (but most likely he would be claimed and gone for nothing) or trade him to get something in return. He won't beat Bryz for the #1 spot.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:49 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Russia is a big hockey market and the KHL is one of the best (if not the best) league behind the NHL and he spent 2 full pro-seasons there.

Not a single team in the NHL wanted to draft him.
He is about the same age as Semyon Varlamov who was growing up in the middle of no man's land as well (even the same province, if I remember it correctly) but who got recognition from the scouts and got drafted in the first round for a reason.

It's probably true that he (Bob) was not developed properly, didn't have access to a personal goaltending coach,... but it's not like the Flyers organization can compensate for those lost years of his development.
I'm pretty sure there may even be more serious talent hidden somewhere in the Caucasian deserts, but we don't have access to those resources.

Anyway, they can either waive him and give him an opportunity to mature with the Phantoms (but most likely he would be claimed and gone for nothing) or trade him to get something in return. He won't beat Bryz for the #1 spot.
Not debating this. It was about PRICE not Varly. Bob played on the worse team in the KHL put up fantastic numbers. Varly and Bob lived almost 3000km away... but I digress. You don't need to be an ass about your "Caucasian" deserts remark....

So you aren't talking about Price now? or you are?

Bob won't beat out Bryz for the number 1 spot nor his contract. He is a great backup, but needs more looks in net. That doesn't seem likely b/c of the load Bryz wants/needs. Whatever happens with Bob I wish him the best. He is a hard worker and his attitude is great.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:36 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
he also needs more consistent playing time. We should trade him somewhere for a young D or something. CBJ maybe?

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 05:05 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Not debating this. It was about PRICE not Varly. Bob played on the worse team in the KHL put up fantastic numbers. Varly and Bob lived almost 3000km away... but I digress. You don't need to be an ass about your "Caucasian" deserts remark....

So you aren't talking about Price now? or you are?

Bob won't beat out Bryz for the number 1 spot nor his contract. He is a great backup, but needs more looks in net. That doesn't seem likely b/c of the load Bryz wants/needs. Whatever happens with Bob I wish him the best. He is a hard worker and his attitude is great.

I agree with you that Bob needs to play more.

I disagree when you put him on the same level as Carey Price. Bob has great lateral movement and reflexes but he is not top notch talent. This is why I did not even try to dig in your Bob vs. Price comparison.

I mentioned Varlamov because he has a similar background but shows a more polished style of play paired with more consistency. In my opinion Bob has a similar upside as Varly.

We'll see in a few years...

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote