HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Same cast produces same failure

Old
04-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Same cast produces same failure

Bucky on his soapbox:

Quote:
Well, what a surprise. We're back here again. A few faces changed, but the result was still basically the same along with my opinion about what needs to be done. My long-standing belief that Darcy Regier should be fired never wavered while the Sabres made their miraculous march into ninth place.

You should know that it's just as tiresome for me to write about his job status as it is for you to read about it year after year. Why does it continue, you ask? Funny, but I've asked myself the same question. Why do the Sabres continue to employ a general manager after years of failure? My opinion isn't changing until I hear the answer.

Respected hockey minds for years wondered how Regier kept his job when so many others have been fired for less. I'm not talking about three or four people. It's more like three or four dozen on all levels: current and former executives, current and former scouts, current and former players, current and former Sabres.
Quote:
Shame on them for not wanting their names used, but you can understand why they don't need the aggravation. It's been years since someone I trusted told me Regier should stay. Most are stunned he's still here, and a growing list are saying the same about Lindy Ruff. Just last week, one of them suggested I write a column saying Regier should be retained with the idea the Sabres would fire him.

It's ludicrous, right?
Quote:
Pegula, if he's true to his word, needs to find the answers for himself. That's the hard part. He's not likely to get the truth from other GMs who want Regier in charge of the Sabres for as long as possible because he's not viewed as a major threat. Someone needs to give Pegula a cold, informed, unfiltered opinion rather than polite gibberish.

Even good general managers get fired every year, sometimes simply because a change is needed. Craig Patrick served as GM for 17 years in Pittsburgh in a front office that included Sabres top executives Ken Sawyer and Ted Black. The Pens replaced him with Ray Shero, whose fresh perspective helped him finish the job in two years.
Quote:
This notion Pegula removed handcuffs from Regier was a myth. Tom Golisano acknowledged when he sold the team that he cared mostly about the bottom line, but Regier wasn't tied down. The Sabres were 15th, the top half, in payroll the previous two seasons.
Quote:
Buffalo lost 12 straight road games without making a trade when almost any move would have worked to shake up a stale but comfortable group. Black suggested in January that Regier was shopping his players, but nothing was done until minutes before the deadline.
Quote:
Several GMs and scouts, in town for world juniors, were baffled that Regier was traveling with the Sabres rather than watching the tournament in his own town. And people wonder why we're back here again, in a familiar place with a familiar story about a man whose teams produce results that are all too familiar.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/co...icle802221.ece

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

vCash: 50
sorry but pinning this on Darcy is ****ing stupid. He finally got the ok to spend and do whatever he wants and pulled off some awesome trades, got the best UFA Dman, one of the better UFA forwards (turned out not good but oh well).

this is the offseason they'll get rid of parts of the core, he tried to finally really ADD to his core but it failed. They'll move on from it.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:10 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

One could also say 'Same cast writes the same articles' .

Ho hum.

SackTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:11 AM
keithLGA

He's on his soap box but he's right. Regier has made some good moves and some lucky moves but he's not well thought of in the world of hockey and has ultimately failed with the Sabres.

keithLGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:12 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

"He's not likely to get the truth from other GMs who want Regier in charge of the Sabres for as long as possible because he's not viewed as a major threat."

That's quite possibly the dumbest thing he's ever written, which is saying a lot.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:13 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithLGA View Post
He's on his soap box but he's right. Regier has made some good moves and some lucky moves but he's not well thought of in the world of hockey and has ultimately failed with the Sabres.

Is this your opinion, or do you have any proof of this?

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
"He's not likely to get the truth from other GMs who want Regier in charge of the Sabres for as long as possible because he's not viewed as a major threat."

That's quite possibly the dumbest thing he's ever written, which is saying a lot.
Take my first for this rental faceoff man! No, Really! It's a steal!

Hodgson for Kassian? What a buffoon this guy is!

Ehrhoff for 4 million per year? Insanity! Get me the Wiz!

Robyn Regehr for two tweeners? Past his prime.

Connor McDavid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:19 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

If GMs conspired to keep other bad GMs in place to keep teamss down, Milbury would never have been allowed to leave the Islanders.

Old
04-09-2012, 10:41 AM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
If GMs conspired to keep other bad GMs in place to keep teamss down, Milbury would never have been allowed to leave the Islanders.
I'm placing a massive LOL here until I get home to my computer and put an appropriate image in it's place

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post

i laughed when i read that too

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 04:26 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Respected hockey minds for years wondered how Regier kept his job when so many others have been fired for less. I'm not talking about three or four people. It's more like three or four dozen on all levels: current and former executives, current and former scouts, current and former players, current and former Sabres.
And of course he gets to hide behind "anonymity" and not actually have to name anyone. Now if this was a respected journalist (Jim Kelley) writing that, I would be more inclined to take it at face value instead of likely exaggeration or straight up ********.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 04:52 PM
Royisgone

So then the concensus among posters here is that actually, well informed NHL insiders would give an honest opinion of Regier as a GM, right?

If that's true, how about this passage from the article:

"Respected hockey minds for years wondered how Regier kept his job when so many others have been fired for less. I'm not talking about three or four people. It's more like three or four dozen on all levels: current and former executives, current and former scouts, current and former players, current and former Sabres."

I guess those are just the random insiders who actually are lying to keep Darcy in Buffalo. Right?

I don't read this guy's columns, nor the Buffalo News. I think his comment about GMs conspiring to keep a bad GM in Buffalo is kind of stupid.

But I am quite sure a lot of insiders wonder how Darcy keeps his job.

I think the collective NHL world was astounded when nothing happened in January when we hit rock bottom, at least for a little while.

After that I'm sure they just rationalized it as "more small time weirdness from a small time organization. Let's move on to something more interesting."

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 04:58 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roymustgo View Post
So then the concensus among posters here is that actually, well informed NHL insiders would give an honest opinion of Regier as a GM, right?

If that's true, how about this passage from the article:

"Respected hockey minds for years wondered how Regier kept his job when so many others have been fired for less. I'm not talking about three or four people. It's more like three or four dozen on all levels: current and former executives, current and former scouts, current and former players, current and former Sabres."

I guess those are just the random insiders who actually are lying to keep Darcy in Buffalo. Right?

I don't read this guy's columns, nor the Buffalo News. I think his comment about GMs conspiring to keep a bad GM in Buffalo is kind of stupid.

But I am quite sure a lot of insiders wonder how Darcy keeps his job.

I think the collective NHL world was astounded when nothing happened in January when we hit rock bottom, at least for a little while.

After that I'm sure they just rationalized it as "more small time weirdness from a small time organization. Let's move on to something more interesting."
Find any other journalist besides Bucky Gleason saying these things.

The guy has had a clear agenda for years.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Beerz

I wonder how many Mighty Taco crumbs are in the cracks of this guys keyboard.

I understand these guys are "opinion" writers.... but.... for once... can't we have an opinion article backed up by facts... and not by just the writer telling us they are facts. "No really..trust me.. it's true".

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 05:10 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
I wonder how many Mighty Taco crumbs are in the cracks of this guys keyboard.

I understand these guys are "opinion" writers.... but.... for once... can't we have an opinion article backed up by facts... and not by just the writer telling us they are facts. "No really..trust me.. it's true".
It's the buffalo news...does that answer your question?

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 05:14 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
GM, coach, players... there is a lot of fault to be found with all of them.

04-09-2012, 05:24 PM
SoFFacet

My favorite part is when he criticizes Regier for not executing the Nashville trade sooner, as if the value wasn't directly driven by the immediacy of the deadline. And as if the pick would have done us more good if we had gotten it sooner... somehow. At that point you could just tell that the guy has lost all sense of reason and is just furiously mashing his keyboard while foaming at the mouth.

SoFFacet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 05:25 PM
aceface33

ctrl + f "Ruff"

Appears 3 times in the article. Only mention of note "Ruff also has been here since 1997 and had plenty of say, so he shouldn't be excused, either."

Once sentence in a 25 paragraph article (yes 25 paragraphs). This is why I don't take Gleason seriously.

I also like how he calls the Sulzer acquisition "blind luck." Don't ever change Bucky.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Clock

As the internets would say:

So brave.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 05:44 PM
gallagt01

It was a myth that Pegula removed the handcuffs from Regier?

Had Regier not been handcuffed by former management, the Drury and Briere fiascoes wouldn't have ended so poorly. One, or both, would still be here (Drury's career may not be over - things could be entirely different).

The current leaders of the team wouldn't have been prematurely thrust into their current roles. They'd still be grooming.

The Sabres would still be a good team. These articles wouldn't exist, nor would criticisms for Regier.

I like how Bucky doesn't even acknowledge how far back the franchise was set because of how the Drury and Briere situations played out.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

If they don't make changes, they wont change.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Dreakon

Oh how nice it must be to make a living by writing the same article every couple of days.

Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 06:05 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

I've always enjoyed Gleason's method of not giving credit for good moves.

It's always, "Well, it was a good move, but he should have done it SOONER."

Really?

Old
04-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

I wish so much that they would fire that guy.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 06:41 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Same staff produces same article. The lines mentioned earlier in this thread are mind-blowing.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote