HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Fight Announcements & Rumors - Part 5

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2012, 06:52 PM
BGDDYKWL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
Complete change of topic: how far away from a title shot is Rousimar Palhares? 3 fight win streak, 7-2 in the UFC (one by Hendo-beatdown and one under strange / controversial circumstances to Marquardt). He's scheduled to fight Alan Belcher at Fox 3 (that's going to be a sick card BTW), and if he wins it convincingly, is he close? I only see Sonnen, Bisping and Weidman in line ahead of him. Okami and Belfort are probably there too but I don't see either having any rematch value.
Stylistically I think Palhares has a good a chance of beating Silva as anyone. I want anyone to beat Anderson, so because of that I feel like he should be in the mix. The problem is you also have Bisping (unless Boetsch beats him), Munoz, and Weidman who are also right there. I think if Palhares beats Belcher and then one of Weidman, Munoz, Bisping he'd be next in line for a title shot. I think you could make a case for him if he dominates Belcher, but I don't think that'll put him ahead of the other three. I don't see any way Belfort or Okami get a rematch.

Old
04-10-2012, 06:06 PM
DeathFromAbove

MMAFighting is reporting that Akiyama will face Thiago Alves in July. Tough fight for Akiyama who struggled with Shields' standup.

Old
04-10-2012, 06:28 PM
I Am Beat You

Akiyama gets shafted again. Give the guy a break, holy ****.

Old
04-10-2012, 06:35 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

A guy who I've never seen properly check a leg kick vs Thiago Alves. That should end well.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:06 PM
ck26
7,709 miles & runnin

vCash: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
I have a question - do you pay for the PPV fights? Because I cannot understand this mentality for someone who is actually paying their own 60 bucks to watch a fight. I can't fathom a situation where I would rather see a title fight scrapped just so the #1 contender fight is a bit better.

Besides, then just do the Mir vs JDS fight and match up Cain with virtually anyone else at HW. Cain gets an easier fight and the fans get to see JDS defend his belt vs a worthy challenger.

Canceling JDS off the card is virtually the only way they could botch this all, and since the UFC isn't run by an idiot that's not going to happen.
I've never bought a PPV; I go to bars to watch live and buy a lot of the DVD's when they come out 2 months later so that I can re-watch the fights carefully / stare at Shandella's assets in slow-mo.

I am almost certainly the exception, but I am thrilled for most every card the UFC puts together. Everybody the UFC has under contract is a killer ... I'm 6'3" 200 and train my hands a lot, but would be absolute fodder for any bantamweight on the roster. I feel the same away about a spare Oilers / Flyers game, a 3rd division pro soccer game or some anonymous Wednesday night ESPN boxing card--every one of these guys are professionals and will do stuff I'll never be able to.

I want to see the best fights possible. I've never fought MMA, but the 8-10 weeks most fighters spend in camp suggests that's roughly the optimal time for most folks; I would rather see JDS rescheduled for June against [whoever], rather than switching opponents and throwing someone into the fire underprepared. If 6 weeks is enough, OK, fine (it probably is), but either way, UFC needs to siht or get off the pot on this; don't drag it out 3 more weeks so that the new #1 contender only has 3 weeks to prepare.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
....stare at Shandella's assets in slow-mo.

I am almost certainly the exception....
I'd say so, didn't think anyone liked her.

Quote:
but either way, UFC needs to siht or get off the pot on this; don't drag it out 3 more weeks so that the new #1 contender only has 3 weeks to prepare.
I would imagine the UFC has developed their "plan B" or is currently working on it, should Overreem not be licensed April 24th. I'd bet my house that the UFC isn't going to be scrambling to find an opponent for JDS, in fact I'd say they probably already have someone picked out. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Werdum is the guy that steps in to face JDS.

Old
04-11-2012, 03:32 AM
ck26
7,709 miles & runnin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I'd say so, didn't think anyone liked her.
... touché.

Found this delicious little gem on youtube; still not convinced that it's legit (odd choice of editing cuts) but it's worth throwing out there in a thread called "rumors"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkQ4s9DSYV0

Fedor wearing a pair of UFC-branded MMA gloves while grappling at a gym in Holland.

Old
04-11-2012, 04:17 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Just read online that apparently Overeem is going to use the TRT excuse. He has an exemption to use it and if you inject recently, then your testosterone levels are very high.

FWIW, Bas Rutten on twitter.....

Quote:
I hear we still might c the JDS/Overeem fight? Haha, awesome. Let me get more info
Quote:
I think it's BS also, but we have heard crazier things. I thought the NSAC was simply gonna deny his fight permit maybe they still can, I Just inform you guys of news that I heard, wanna keep you "in the loop". We will see

Old
04-11-2012, 05:00 AM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Found this delicious little gem on youtube; still not convinced that it's legit (odd choice of editing cuts) but it's worth throwing out there in a thread called "rumors"
Pretty sure I saw a pic of this on one of the mainstream MMA sites. My guess is it's legit. Probably easy enough to get those (gloves) though, so I don't know if it means he's any closer to the UFC than he has been in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Just read online that apparently Overeem is going to use the TRT excuse. He has an exemption to use it and if you inject recently, then your testosterone levels are very high..
It's an oversimplification, but typically the average person's T/E is 1:1. The range for testosterone is somewhere around 250-1200. If someone has low T, their testosterone may be 150, meaning their E is (typically) around 150 as well. Well once they get on TRT and get their T to say 750, their T/E ratio is 5. Well I believe the body's natural production of T drops when you're getting it from an outside source. Over time this could put someone's natural T down to say 50 (meaning their E would also be 50). If they are still taking T to get those levels normal (750), well now their T/E ratio is 15:1. Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt Overeem has been on serious stuff for quite some time, but the commission can't really refute this defense.

Old
04-11-2012, 05:34 AM
ck26
7,709 miles & runnin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
It's an oversimplification, but typically the average person's T/E is 1:1. The range for testosterone is somewhere around 250-1200. If someone has low T, their testosterone may be 150, meaning their E is (typically) around 150 as well. Well once they get on TRT and get their T to say 750, their T/E ratio is 5. Well I believe the body's natural production of T drops when you're getting it from an outside source. Over time this could put someone's natural T down to say 50 (meaning their E would also be 50). If they are still taking T to get those levels normal (750), well now their T/E ratio is 15:1. Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt Overeem has been on serious stuff for quite some time, but the commission can't really refute this defense.
Maybe I'm being racist here, but when I look at Chael Sonnen and read about testosterone therapy, I reach one conclusion. When I look at Alistair Overeem and read about testosterone therapy and I reach an entirely different one.

Old
04-11-2012, 08:41 AM
m9

Quote:
I've never bought a PPV; I go to bars to watch live and buy a lot of the DVD's when they come out 2 months later so that I can re-watch the fights carefully / stare at Shandella's assets in slow-mo.

I am almost certainly the exception, but I am thrilled for most every card the UFC puts together. Everybody the UFC has under contract is a killer ... I'm 6'3" 200 and train my hands a lot, but would be absolute fodder for any bantamweight on the roster. I feel the same away about a spare Oilers / Flyers game, a 3rd division pro soccer game or some anonymous Wednesday night ESPN boxing card--every one of these guys are professionals and will do stuff I'll never be able to.

I want to see the best fights possible. I've never fought MMA, but the 8-10 weeks most fighters spend in camp suggests that's roughly the optimal time for most folks; I would rather see JDS rescheduled for June against [whoever], rather than switching opponents and throwing someone into the fire underprepared. If 6 weeks is enough, OK, fine (it probably is), but either way, UFC needs to siht or get off the pot on this; don't drag it out 3 more weeks so that the new #1 contender only has 3 weeks to prepare.
Moving it 6 weeks doesn't really change anything though, its not like the challenger has a minor injury. And has been stated, I'm sure whatever the backup plan is has already been mentioned to the fighters involved.

Anyways hopefully Overeem can just go, and its no big deal.

Old
04-11-2012, 08:44 AM
m9

Also for those Chandella fans out there, if you do a bit of searching you can see a whole lot more of her assets from her earlier career. I'm not personally a fan, but they aren't a bad find.

Old
04-11-2012, 08:46 AM
m9

Quote:
Maybe I'm being racist here, but when I look at Chael Sonnen and read about testosterone therapy, I reach one conclusion. When I look at Alistair Overeem and read about testosterone therapy and I reach an entirely different one.
Obviously he's not as cut as Overeem, but Sonnen is an absolutely massive dude in person. TV doesn't do it justice. Its hard to figure how he even makes 185, but I guess he has some help.

Old
04-12-2012, 10:22 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Holy ****....NicktheFace knocks it out off the park again. #RallyforMarkHunt

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
04-13-2012, 11:26 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Just read online that apparently Overeem is going to use the TRT excuse. He has an exemption to use it and if you inject recently, then your testosterone levels are very high.

FWIW, Bas Rutten on twitter.....
Still don't believe it's a TRT issue.

Old
04-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Boston Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan MD View Post
Holy ****....NicktheFace knocks it out off the park again. #RallyforMarkHunt

That is great work.

I back this. Give hunt a shot. Why not!
He paid his dues. Its a Balboa story waiting to happen..

Old
04-13-2012, 09:53 PM
kurt
the last emperor

When do you think this HW title fight situation will be resolved? When does Overeem go in to face the music?

Old
04-13-2012, 10:35 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
When do you think this HW title fight situation will be resolved? When does Overeem go in to face the music?
April 24th.

This must really suck for JDS. His first title defense and he'll only have a month to prepare for his opponent if Overeem doesn't get licensed.

Old
04-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Reporter: "Have you seen the rallying for Mark Hunt on twitter"?

Dana: "Yeah, they can keep rallying for him but it's not going to happen."

Old
04-14-2012, 06:33 PM
m9

Quote:
Reporter: "Have you seen the rallying for Mark Hunt on twitter"?

Dana: "Yeah, they can keep rallying for him but it's not going to happen."
Good. Add that with Dana saying JDS will still fight on that card 100%, and I think we will be in for a good HW title fight that night.

Old
04-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Good. Add that with Dana saying JDS will still fight on that card 100%, and I think we will be in for a good HW title fight that night.
Dana also said the Cain/Mir fight will happen. So if Overeem can't fight, who do they go with?

Werdum seems like the only other option but he just lost to Overeem before the Nelson fight and also got KO'd by JDS in the 1st round in their first fight. I think JDS easily wins if they fight again.

I just hope Overeem can fight because IMO we won't see a good fight for the HW title if he can't go. Other than Overeem, Mir is the only one who actually deserves a title shot.

Old
04-14-2012, 08:08 PM
m9

I'm ok with Werdum or Henderson. Or even Miocic or Travis Browne. Someone winning fights that can present a challenge to JDS.

Old
04-14-2012, 08:51 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
I'm ok with Werdum or Henderson. Or even Miocic or Travis Browne. Someone winning fights that can present a challenge to JDS.
You'd rather see Miocic or Browne over Hunt?

Old
04-14-2012, 09:02 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
You'd rather see Miocic or Browne over Hunt?
Although it won't come to that, yes. JDS would take Hunt down and tap him in 2 minutes IMO.

I think Overeem will fight anyway.

Old
04-15-2012, 08:23 AM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Although it won't come to that, yes. JDS would take Hunt down and tap him in 2 minutes IMO.
Based off of what? I can't remember JDS even attempting a takedown in a fight.

Out of all the guys being discussed as a replacement for Overeem, I think Hunt is the most interesting matchup stylistically. Mir get's KO'd in the first, Werdum was already KO'd in the first and Hendo is too small.

Closed Thread