HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW John Gaudreau - Boston College, HE (2011, 104th overall, Calgary)

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Roughneck

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
I wont be sold on the kid until he skates in between a defenders legs to score.

Old
04-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Garyboy

You guys are getting another great undersized forward in Robert Pollasello. Gaudreau looks fantastic. Nice to see him thriving.

Old
04-08-2012, 11:20 PM
NinthSpoke06

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblack View Post
He doesn't look as noticeable small out there as he used to. It used to be "that really small kid out there has a ton of skill." now watching him this year, he's blending in as far as size with the rest of the players. He's definitely grown over the last year.

That being said, genetics aren't on his side. He's going to play most of his life at 5'8" 165 lbs. Not big, but there's a handful of successful pros that have played at that size.

Also, I can't see him playing more then 2 years in college. Next year, barring injury, he will be on the US WJC team, and likely rip up Hockey East. With that progression, he should be an AHL player at 20-21.
His brother is committed to BC for the 2014 year. I have no doubt Johnny will be around to play with him for at least one year.

Old
04-09-2012, 06:00 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanSeguin View Post
His brother is committed to BC for the 2014 year. I have no doubt Johnny will be around to play with him for at least one year.
That's good news for the Flames to be honest, with the lighter college sked Johnny will be able to get more gym time in and work on his core strength to be more effective as a pro

Old
04-09-2012, 12:12 PM
NinthSpoke06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
That's good news for the Flames to be honest, with the lighter college sked Johnny will be able to get more gym time in and work on his core strength to be more effective as a pro
Don't let anyone fool you either, Nathan Gerbe looked almost exactly the same way that Johnny Gaudreau does now.

He is "built like a tank now" because of the amount of off ice work he was able to do at BC.

Old
04-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanSeguin View Post
Don't let anyone fool you either, Nathan Gerbe looked almost exactly the same way that Johnny Gaudreau does now.

He is "built like a tank now" because of the amount of off ice work he was able to do at BC.
Yeah he is a good comparable due to size and the fact it is the same college program.

But I really (and I mean alot) like the fact Gaudreau's freshman season saw him put up a point per game and finish only 1 point behind Kreider for the team lead. Finishing 2nd in team scoring never happened with Gerbe until his sophomore season.

I also wonder how many point per game freshmen there have been in the past decade or so, I imagine its a short list.

Old
04-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
Quote:
Yeah he is a good comparable due to size and the fact it is the same college program.

But I really (and I mean alot) like the fact Gaudreau's freshman season saw him put up a point per game and finish only 1 point behind Kreider for the team lead. Finishing 2nd in team scoring never happened with Gerbe until his sophomore season.

I also wonder how many point per game freshmen there have been in the past decade or so, I imagine its a short list.
it never happened until literally the next year...?

Old
04-09-2012, 06:24 PM
john g

Quote:

more than you'd think

this year

Points Per Game: GP G- A- P P/GM
28 Kyle Rau (FLA) Minnesota FR F 40 18-25-43 1.07
41 Scott Wilson (PIT) UMass Lowell FR F 37 16-22-38 1.03
46 Johnny Gaudreau (CGY) Boston College FR F 44 21-23-44 1.00
Matthew Peca (TBL) Quinnipiac FR F 39 8-31-39 1.00

last year

22 T. J. Tynan Notre Dame FR F 44 23-31-54 1.23
32 Jason Zucker (MIN) Denver FR F 40 23-22-45 1.12
45 Andrew Calof Princeton FR F 32 9-24-33 1.03
49 Greg Carey St. Lawrence FR F 40 23-17-40 1.00

two years ago

7 Stephane Da Costa Merrimack FR F 34 16-29-45 1.32
43 Brandon Pirri (CHI) Rensselaer FR F 39 11-32-43 1.10
47 Andy Taranto Alaska FR RW 39 18-24-42 1.08
64 Eric Delong Sacred Heart FR F 35 15-20-35 1.00
Andrew Miller Yale FR F 34 5-29-34 1.00

it does dispell the fantasy that was portrayed here in excess though, that BC & York do not play Freshman

Old
04-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Noori

All of those freshmen (except for Tynan, Zucker, and Pirri) were a year, two years, or three years older than Gaudreau when they posted PPG numbers.

And those three guys are pretty good company for Gaudreau to be keeping so I'm happy with his progress so far.

Old
04-09-2012, 07:12 PM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
All of those freshmen (except for Tynan, Zucker, and Pirri) were a year, two years, or three years older than Gaudreau when they posted PPG numbers.

And those three guys are pretty good company for Gaudreau to be keeping so I'm happy with his progress so far.
One of the reasons the Flames took Gaudreau was that he was pretty much as young as he could be in his draft year and had more room to grow (literally and figuratively) than most players.

Old
04-09-2012, 07:44 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post

You also have to take into account that a guy like Scott Wilson was playing on a team like Mass-Lowell who finished with 5 wins last year and not a powerhouse team like BC.

Old
04-09-2012, 09:13 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
You also have to take into account that a guy like Scott Wilson was playing on a team like Mass-Lowell who finished with 5 wins last year and not a powerhouse team like BC.
You could say that, but it's all about ones perspective.

On the same token you could argue that Gaudreau is the most offensively skilled player on that "powerhouse" BC team, and for that matter the most skilled freshmen in the country.

Scott Wilson is 16months older then John Gaudreau, and was probably given more of an opportunity to produce offensive results based on the lesser depth on UMass-Lowell. I say "probably" because quite frankly i am not all that familiar with their program, I could certainly be wrong, but that's the conclusion I personally draw from the circumstances.

Old
04-09-2012, 09:21 PM
DropIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
One of the reasons the Flames took Gaudreau was that he was pretty much as young as he could be in his draft year and had more room to grow (literally and figuratively) than most players.

not really. I dont think it makes sense for a team to take a player because he is 4 months younger then his draft class. They took him because he was widely known as being one of the most pure, talent players in the '11 draft, but dropped due to his size

Old
04-09-2012, 10:08 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
not really. I dont think it makes sense for a team to take a player because he is 4 months younger then his draft class. They took him because he was widely known as being one of the most pure, talent players in the '11 draft, but dropped due to his size
I recall Feaster bringing his age into account after drafting him. So it does play into it

Old
04-10-2012, 08:10 AM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
Skill was part of it obviously, but the Flames used a formula that took age into account. They were specifically looking for highly skilled players who were right on the border of their draft year.

Old
04-10-2012, 10:52 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
You could say that, but it's all about ones perspective.

On the same token you could argue that Gaudreau is the most offensively skilled player on that "powerhouse" BC team, and for that matter the most skilled freshmen in the country.

Scott Wilson is 16months older then John Gaudreau, and was probably given more of an opportunity to produce offensive results based on the lesser depth on UMass-Lowell. I say "probably" because quite frankly i am not all that familiar with their program, I could certainly be wrong, but that's the conclusion I personally draw from the circumstances.
There is definitely a number of factors at play so to dismiss any of the guys who scored at a PPG as rookies because of age (or any other one factor) is naive. Either way what Gaudreau and the others have done is very impressive.

Old
10-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Rolen
sick

Great start to the 2012-2013 season with 3 goals and 4 assists in 5 games. IIRC 2 of those goals are game winners. Really like this guy.

Old
10-29-2012, 12:39 AM
Beerfest*

Old
10-29-2012, 01:03 AM
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny B. Goode

Kid looks like a player. Excited to see him in the WJC.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny B. Goode

Johnny Gaudreau has 12 points in 9 games this season for BC. 1st in goals in the NCAA, 5 GWG and an assist on another GW. Kid is single handily willing his way into the top prospects in the world discussion.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:09 PM
old time hockey4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthroughforest View Post
Johnny Gaudreau has 12 points in 9 games this season for BC. 1st in goals in the NCAA, 5 GWG and an assist on another GW. Kid is single handily willing his way into the top prospects in the world discussion.
I'm still going to wait to see what he can do at the World Juniors before I really get excited about him, but so far he's done everything in his power to give himself a shot at the NHL. 5GWG in 9 games is incredible, he has what, 27 more games to beat the NCAA record of 10GWG? Right now he's sure making a case for the Hobey Baker.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Gary83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthroughforest View Post
I think he'll need to have a solid show at the WJC's to start getting any recognition, he is currently putting up better numbers then Kreider did last year (albeit, not by much)

No doubt you'll get alot of sarcastic comments, but Gaudreau has the most upside out of all Flames prospects, imo. Would be very exciting if he can translate his style to the NHL.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
I think he'll need to have a solid show at the WJC's to start getting any recognition, he is currently putting up better numbers then Kreider did last year (albeit, not by much)

No doubt you'll get alot of sarcastic comments, but Gaudreau has the most upside out of all Flames prospects, imo. Would be very exciting if he can translate his style to the NHL.
He put up almost identical numbers to Kreider last year...

Chris Kreider 44: 23G - 22A - 45pts

Johnny Gaudreau 44: 21G - 23A - 44pts

Old
11-12-2012, 02:30 PM
HOCKEY_GURU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post

I really Like Gaudreau, but I would say Bartschi has more upside...no?

Old
11-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by old time hockey4 View Post
I'm still going to wait to see what he can do at the World Juniors before I really get excited about him, but so far he's done everything in his power to give himself a shot at the NHL. 5GWG in 9 games is incredible, he has what, 27 more games to beat the NCAA record of 10GWG? Right now he's sure making a case for the Hobey Baker.
BC Eagles fans are already calling it the "Gaudreaby Baker"

Closed Thread