HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

Jim Robson Divisional Quarterfinals: Pittsburgh vs. Winnipeg

Old
04-09-2012, 06:19 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Mixed up your accounts?

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Stevens and McCrimmon can handle your top line since Svehla and Smith (with help of my forwards) neutralizes your second line.
I understand Svehla had success before with LOD, and Smith is another big body capable of playing along the boards, but I don't think your forwards match up that well. You mentioned we sort of rely on all four lines and Lindros could definitely pose favorable matchups with home ice in this series.

Quote:
I obviously disagree with Blake being better than Svedberg. Blake is more physical and probably had a better shot. Svedberg however is the perfect playmaking defensemen who could make outlet passes aswell as rushing the puck and make an offensive zone pass. He will benefit greatly from having Shanahan and Robitaille on the ice. When Svedberg is playing I can let most of my two-way forwards do the shadowing and defensive work IF we dont control the puck.
I understand Svedberg does those things excellently, but does that really say anything about him being better than Blake? You'd have to say Blake is also better defensively even if he has his deficiencies, and certainly won't struggle with larger forwards which Svedberg will. I just think Svedberg compares much more guys like Alexander Ragulin and Jan Suchy than Rob Blake.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 05:56 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Mixed up your accounts?
Seems like it.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 06:06 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
I understand Svehla had success before with LOD, and Smith is another big body capable of playing along the boards, but I don't think your forwards match up that well. You mentioned we sort of rely on all four lines and Lindros could definitely pose favorable matchups with home ice in this series.

I understand Svedberg does those things excellently, but does that really say anything about him being better than Blake? You'd have to say Blake is also better defensively even if he has his deficiencies, and certainly won't struggle with larger forwards which Svedberg will. I just think Svedberg compares much more guys like Alexander Ragulin and Jan Suchy than Rob Blake.
He could but I dont see a line where Lindros will have the advantage. Actually I dont see Lindros as that big of a threat. He isnt exactly a playoff monster once you when he scored most of his goals. Usually Lindros was reduced to nothing once it came to the big games (Devils '95, Panthers '96 and Red Wings '97). All my lines has a forward that can match Lindros physically, we have two guys who is noted for getting him off his game (Stevens and Svehla), we have a great goalie.

Old
04-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
He could but I dont see a line where Lindros will have the advantage. Actually I dont see Lindros as that big of a threat. He isnt exactly a playoff monster once you when he scored most of his goals. Usually Lindros was reduced to nothing once it came to the big games (Devils '95, Panthers '96 and Red Wings '97). All my lines has a forward that can match Lindros physically, we have two guys who is noted for getting him off his game (Stevens and Svehla), we have a great goalie.
He still led his team in scoring each postseason. He was the leader of those teams and the key focus of opposition, but that won't be the case in the context of my team. You may have some wingers that have size but I wouldn't suggest they can match Lindros necessarily. I can buy Lepine's chances as he was described as being tall and rangy for his day, and sure Delvecchio has some size how but will Datsyuk or Steen hold up when matched with Lindros?

Again if you want to match Stevens with Lindros then that's really going to open things up for Orr. I understand everyone will see each other over the course of the series so they'll have some time to reacquaint themselves, but I really don't think you'd want to see Sawchuk have to deal with Orr's unit with Svedberg caught up ice or Svehla and Smith out there.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:11 AM
jkrx

Quote:
He still led his team in scoring each postseason. He was the leader of those teams and the key focus of opposition, but that won't be the case in the context of my team. You may have some wingers that have size but I wouldn't suggest they can match Lindros necessarily. I can buy Lepine's chances as he was described as being tall and rangy for his day, and sure Delvecchio has some size how but will Datsyuk or Steen hold up when matched with Lindros?

Again if you want to match Stevens with Lindros then that's really going to open things up for Orr. I understand everyone will see each other over the course of the series so they'll have some time to reacquaint themselves, but I really don't think you'd want to see Sawchuk have to deal with Orr's unit with Svedberg caught up ice or Svehla and Smith out there.
Leading your team in scoring each post season for three years is not very impressive when you were dominant vs. the lesser teams and completely broke down vs. stronger teams. Steen is a tough customer, I don't know how old you are or how much you saw of him but he is probably our toughest center. He's feisty and could probably deal with Lindros in the same manner that Svehla did.

Here we have what it all comes down too. Orr. He will not be covered by my defensemen he will be shadowed by Datsyuk.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Hawkman
RIP Jean Beliveau

Quote:
... Here we have what it all comes down too. Orr. He will not be covered by my defensemen he will be shadowed by Datsyuk.
That's a bold move. It may affect your offense.

Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:35 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
These are Lindros' only healthy playoffs:

First two rounds: 9 points +6 in 6 games played (9 team GP)
VS New Jersey: 5 points +1 in 6 games

First round: 6 points -1 in 6 games
VS Florida: 6 points EV in 6 games

First 3 rounds: 23 points +11 in 15 games
VS Detroit: 3 points -4 in 4 games

VS Buffalo: 3 points -3 in 5 games

Old
04-10-2012, 11:48 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
These are Lindros' only healthy playoffs:

First two rounds: 9 points +6 in 6 games played (9 team GP)
VS New Jersey: 5 points +1 in 6 games

First round: 6 points -1 in 6 games
VS Florida: 6 points EV in 6 games

First 3 rounds: 23 points +11 in 15 games
VS Detroit: 3 points -4 in 4 games

VS Buffalo: 3 points -3 in 5 games
I dont remember the exact spread of those points except that against florida its 3pts over 5 games and 3 points in a excellent effort from Lindros in a 4-1 win.

I think it was about the same vs. Devils wasnt it? I remember he was being held scoreless on home ice at least.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Leading your team in scoring each post season for three years is not very impressive when you were dominant vs. the lesser teams and completely broke down vs. stronger teams. Steen is a tough customer, I don't know how old you are or how much you saw of him but he is probably our toughest center. He's feisty and could probably deal with Lindros in the same manner that Svehla did.

Here we have what it all comes down too. Orr. He will not be covered by my defensemen he will be shadowed by Datsyuk.
See I had no idea about Steen being feisty. I figured he was a brainy two-way guy from what I read, as I've only seen his son.

I've given you my thoughts about Orr and Datsyuk/your defensemen so I won't repeat them. It's probably time I give you my ideal matchups so you can respond too.

But before I do, the only things we haven't really touched on are coaching and goaltending. Sawchuk clearly outclasses Worsley and is capable of stealing a series in the ATD. The question is whether he's capable of stealing one against a team with as much firepower as I have.

I think the differences between coaches is pretty one-sided too, thought not nearly as steep of course. Day is a fine coach who's style will limit Winnipeg's scoring chances and in that way help prop up the Gumper. I don't know which way Pilous leans and his record isn't the longest at the NHL level, but he did get a cup win out of it. I think having Day and Pilous's replacement in Reay on my staff gives me the upper-hand in the nebulous coaching category.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:24 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
I dont remember the exact spread of those points except that against florida its 3pts over 5 games and 3 points in a excellent effort from Lindros in a 4-1 win.

I think it was about the same vs. Devils wasnt it? I remember he was being held scoreless on home ice at least.
I don't want to nitpick Lindros' record too much because you can do this for a lot of players. Against NJ, he was shut out in game 1 in Philly, then had a goal and an assist in game 2 (his only multi-point game of the series) in a 5-2 Flyers loss. Scored the OT winner in game 3. Then had 2 points over the final 3 games. Overall it was considered a disappointing series for the Legion of Doom.

Against Florida, 3 of Lindros' 6 points were in the victory in Game 2.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
See I had no idea about Steen being feisty. I figured he was a brainy two-way guy from what I read, as I've only seen his son.
Yeah, Steen was a tough customer. One of the most underrated players of the 80's, and a beloved figure in Winnipeg. I think he tends to be underrated here in the ATD. His line played a lot like the Ramsay - Poulin line of the previous generation, and Steen proved himself to be a very good two-way player without a whole lot of scoring help from his linemates.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Rob Scuderi

I don't think Day will need to do a lot of hard-matching in this series. The two things that stick out to me are Winnipeg's second pair and just Svedberg in general. I'm going to do my best to get either of my top two lines out there when Winnipeg's second pair is on the ice. I think this is just a favorable matchup for either of my groups to generate some scoring chances against Sawchuk. I definitely also want to try to have either Orr or Blake and Mortson out there when Svedberg's on the ice. He was a dynamic player and I'm more concerned with containing him than trying to match line for line with our two particular compositions. Orr can be deployed for obvious reasons and I think Blake and Mortson would really stifle Svedberg's ability to rush the puck into the attacking zone. I think getting Svedberg familiar with those two could really be beneficial for my team over the course of the series.

Old
04-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
I don't think Day will need to do a lot of hard-matching in this series. The two things that stick out to me are Winnipeg's second pair and just Svedberg in general. I'm going to do my best to get either of my top two lines out there when Winnipeg's second pair is on the ice. I think this is just a favorable matchup for either of my groups to generate some scoring chances against Sawchuk. I definitely also want to try to have either Orr or Blake and Mortson out there when Svedberg's on the ice. He was a dynamic player and I'm more concerned with containing him than trying to match line for line with our two particular compositions. Orr can be deployed for obvious reasons and I think Blake and Mortson would really stifle Svedberg's ability to rush the puck into the attacking zone. I think getting Svedberg familiar with those two could really be beneficial for my team over the course of the series.
My offense isn't based on Svedberg alone. It's based on controlling the puck so even if you keep Svedberg from rushing into the offensive zone it'll be hard for you still. You lack defense on your left side except for Mortson and Tremblay so it wont be hard for Svedberg to gain the neutral zone. I have atleast one defenseman on each pair who can make an outlet pass to the forwards up ice too. Besides we are talking about a player that even soviets best had a hard time handling, I doubt Mortson will do a better job than Vasiliev and Ragulin.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

I dont see why people underrate Rudy Pilous either. The man won a Stanley Cup and three Avco cups (aswell as Memorial cup, PCHL and USHL).

I believe Hap Day is a better coach but not Reay.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
My offense isn't based on Svedberg alone. It's based on controlling the puck so even if you keep Svedberg from rushing into the offensive zone it'll be hard for you still. You lack defense on your left side except for Mortson and Tremblay so it wont be hard for Svedberg to gain the neutral zone. I have atleast one defenseman on each pair who can make an outlet pass to the forwards up ice too. Besides we are talking about a player that even soviets best had a hard time handling, I doubt Mortson will do a better job than Vasiliev and Ragulin.
I understand Svedberg isn't the catalyst to your team or anything like that, I just think he and Magnuson could really sputter if Svedberg can't play his game. Hitchman's a good stay at home guy on the left side as well, and I have some pretty physical guys on that left wing that won't make life easy for Svedberg in the corners even if they can't keep up as well as Tremblay could.

Old
04-10-2012, 04:04 PM
jkrx

For some reason, which I cannot explain, this browser seems to always be logged into my grandsons account which is starting to get on my nerves.

Old
04-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Clear your cookies.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:46 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Steen is a tough customer, I don't know how old you are or how much you saw of him but he is probably our toughest center.
I agree, don't underestimate this guy. His toughness seemed to get brushed under the table by history somehow, but the scouting report books just love him. Also, Bengt Gustafsson and Patrik Sundstrom.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:35 PM
seventieslord

Pittsburgh wins in 5.

stars of the series:

Orr
Sawchuk
Geoffrion
Richard
Stevens

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:38 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Pittsburgh wins in 5.

stars of the series:

Orr
Sawchuk
Geoffrion
Richard
Stevens
wow, surprised this wasn't closer...

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:50 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
You are? I was sure we were getting swept. Not because my team was bad though but I will quote myself.

Quote:
Plus it's Bobby Orr, like last year, GMs wont let Bobby Orr dissapear in the first round.

Old
04-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Same

Quote:
You are? I was sure we were getting swept. Not because my team was bad though but I will quote myself.
Even with Orr, your team had two pairs to contain Lindros and then Sawchuk in net. This was definitely a good series and you got some bad luck running into Orr two years in a row.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:45 AM
Hawkman
RIP Jean Beliveau

Quote:
Same. Even with Orr, your team had two pairs to contain Lindros and then Sawchuk in net. This was definitely a good series and you got some bad luck running into Orr two years in a row.
Agreed. I liked your team and gave you a 3 seed in the regular season, jkrx. I think building with Orr and #64 is tough, but I have no preconceptions about your next match and haven't even looked at the Round 2 match ups, BBS.

Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:14 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

I think Winnipeg could have pulled it off with a better defensive anchor on the second pairing. I think Svedberg is a fantastic second pairing offensive defenseman, but his defense is questionable - he was a converted forward and it showed (at both ends of the ice). And I dont think Magnuson has the credentials to carry the D for his pairing.

I though Winnipeg was very well suited to shutting down the Lindros line, and with it the majority of Phillie's secondary scoring. But I saw the Orr-Richard-Geoffrion trio just ripping apart Magnuson and even Sawchuk can't stop everything. Datsyuk would help a ton against Orr but cant do everything.

I did have this series going 7 and it wasn't one of the easier ones for me to decide - for every weakness in one of these teams, another strength emerged. But jkrx, I do think lack of a strong #2 defenseman was your one major weakness.