HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

April 9 & 10 lines and D posted: Grossmann (knee) and Briere (back) both practiced

Old
04-09-2012, 09:18 PM
TheKingPin

vCash: 500
Anyone else think that if bryz plays like did for over a month we win this in under 7?

Not really sure how it why these experts are not going with that logic even as a counter point.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:37 PM
laundryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Anyone else think that if bryz plays like did for over a month we win this in under 7?

Not really sure how it why these experts are not going with that logic even as a counter point.
I think most experts are getting caught up on Bryz's past playoff experience. He was great in March, but this is the playoffs and he has a history of letting in some deflating goals. I'm confident that it will be different, but he hasn't done anything to make anyone think otherwise yet.

laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:40 AM
flyingsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by laundryman View Post
I think most experts are getting caught up on Bryz's past playoff experience. He was great in March, but this is the playoffs and he has a history of letting in some deflating goals. I'm confident that it will be different, but he hasn't done anything to make anyone think otherwise yet.
You can say the exactly same thing about Fleury, yet people seem to be superhigh on him despite the fact that he is simply not as good a goalie as Bryz. I know Fleury has won a cup, but he did it on a team that was more stacked than the current Pens unit, and he also had a pretty ordinary March...

flyingsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:25 AM
Pick87your71Poison

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsouth View Post
You can say the exactly same thing about Fleury, yet people seem to be superhigh on him despite the fact that he is simply not as good a goalie as Bryz. I know Fleury has won a cup, but he did it on a team that was more stacked than the current Pens unit, and he also had a pretty ordinary March...
Not to troll, but don't really see how the last Pens team was more stacked than this one on paper. Maybe in reality it won't come to fruition, but that team had Talbot and Fedetenko in the top 6, did not have James Neal. Take into the account the improvements in a guy like Staal and Letang to take the spot of Gonchar and this team on paper should definitely be better.

Pick87your71Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick87your71Poison View Post
Not to troll, but don't really see how the last Pens team was more stacked than this one on paper. Maybe in reality it won't come to fruition, but that team had Talbot and Fedetenko in the top 6, did not have James Neal. Take into the account the improvements in a guy like Staal and Letang to take the spot of Gonchar and this team on paper should definitely be better.
Biggest difference is your D imo. Gill and Scuderi were instrumental at shutting down lines, playing physical and blockiing shots. Same goes for Orpik who is having an off season this year in terms of overall play imo. We need Jagr to outplay Orpik. No one else can shut down Jagr on your team with exception of Orpik.

I am not sure why you think Staal is improved. Staal's stats stay the same. He is a lot smarter on D I am sure but pointwise he is the same player he was 3 years ago.

Michalek, Martin, Niskanen, Letang are all good puck moving d-men but soft. Can Engelland and Orpik bring that solid mean game?

If Bryzgalov holds up Flyers will be a tough cookie. All eyes on Bryzgalov, play of our D and our discipline.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 04-10-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:05 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Biggest difference is your D imo. Gill and Scuderi were instrumental at shutting down lines, playing physical and blockiing shots. Same goes for Orpik who is having an off season this year in terms of overall play imo. We need Jagr to outplay Orpik. No one else can shut down Jagr on your team with exception of Orpik.

I am not sure why you think Staal is improved. Staal's stats stay the same. He is a lot smarter on D I am sure but pointwise he is the same player he was 3 years ago.

Michalek, Martin, Niskanen, Letang are all good puck moving d-men but soft. Can Engelland and Orpik bring that solid mean game?

If Bryzgalov holds up Flyers will be a tough cookie. All eyes on Bryzgalov, play of our D and our discipline.
Jordan Staal is the most over rated player in the NHL. I loved that thread asking which team he would be a #1 center on and people actually beleived he would be on a few teams. This guy had a chance to step-up in the absence of Crosby this past season and he couldnt do it. He's a solid player for sure, but he's nothing more than a 3rd liner who can fill in on the 2nd line every now and then.

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Pick87your71Poison

Quote:

I agree the question mark is the fact that Orpik, Martin, and Michalek have all been more inconsistent than they should be this year, but on paper there is no reason there should be a drop off in D with Martin and Michalek, but it may play out that way if they don't play up to their level.

As for Staal he is much improved offensively this year, even just looking at the #'s. I think maybe people forget he missed 20 games this season. He had 22g and 49 pts that year and had 25g and 50pts this year in just 62 games. That's a 33g and 66pt pace. He's not a stud offensively, but those are definitely much improved #'s with basically the exact same role and PP situation.

And that still doesn't account for hte biggest difference in that Neal is far and away better than any winger we had on that team.

Pick87your71Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:07 AM
MASE THE ACE

this is probally already posted but link

to Grossman/Briere playing Wed.

MASE THE ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:14 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by backburner View Post
this is probally already posted but link

to Grossman/Briere playing Wed.
good stuff, although I wish Mez was also ready for game 1

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:49 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1040
Briere is now on a line with Schenn and Simmonds.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:54 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

APRIL 10:
Lines:
Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr
Schenn-Briere-Simmonds
Wellwood-Read-Voracek
Talbot-Couturier-Rinaldo

Defense:
Coburn-Grossmann
Timonen-Carle
Bourdon-Lilja

Extras:
Kubina
Shelley

Old
04-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
APRIL 10:
Lines:
Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr
Schenn-Briere-Simmonds
Wellwood-Read-Voracek
Talbot-Couturier-Rinaldo

Defense:
Coburn-Grossmann
Timonen-Carle
Bourdon-Lilja

Extras:
Kubina
Shelley

That 3rd line of ours is gonna cause them Penguins some fits. Real speedy bunch.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
That 3rd line of ours is gonna cause them Penguins some fits. Real speedy bunch.
I agree, some of our success will be determined by our depth out at the wing matching up against theirs, and beating it. That third line may drawl the most penalties for the Flyers because of their pure speed if they are matched up against guys like Orpik, Martin, ect.

On the defensive side, I need to see Coburn go from Bruce Banner to the Hulk in this series. He needs to get angry, physical, and nasty, because him and Grossmann doing just that is going to really make Pitt think twice about getting a free skate to the crease.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:10 PM
MASE THE ACE

Quote:
APRIL 10:
Lines:
Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr
Schenn-Briere-Simmonds
Wellwood-Read-Voracek
Talbot-Couturier-Rinaldo

Defense:
Coburn-Grossmann
Timonen-Carle
Bourdon-Lilja

Extras:
Kubina
Shelley

wow i really must not have paid attention this season to miss the fact read plays c, always thought he was a solid winger

Old
04-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Go For It

Quote:
wow i really must not have paid attention this season to miss the fact read plays c, always thought he was a solid winger
No, you were right. The majority of the season he's been at wing, but the past 10-15 games or so he's flipped back and forth.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Codith

Wellwood-Read-Voracek

JESUS, that is going to be one fast line!

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:39 PM
MASE THE ACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
No, you were right. The majority of the season he's been at wing, but the past 10-15 games or so he's flipped back and forth.

do you know his f/o % I cannot seem to find a good hockey stats place that lists F/o % at all.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:51 PM
NewYorkFlyerFan

Quote:
do you know his f/o % I cannot seem to find a good hockey stats place that lists F/o % at all.
41%.

NewYorkFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
APRIL 10:
Lines:
Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr
Schenn-Briere-Simmonds
Wellwood-Read-Voracek
Talbot-Couturier-Rinaldo

Defense:
Coburn-Grossmann
Timonen-Carle
Bourdon-Lilja

Extras:
Kubina
Shelley
Still no Kubina.....

Old
04-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick87your71Poison View Post
I agree the question mark is the fact that Orpik, Martin, and Michalek have all been more inconsistent than they should be this year, but on paper there is no reason there should be a drop off in D with Martin and Michalek, but it may play out that way if they don't play up to their level.

As for Staal he is much improved offensively this year, even just looking at the #'s. I think maybe people forget he missed 20 games this season. He had 22g and 49 pts that year and had 25g and 50pts this year in just 62 games. That's a 33g and 66pt pace. He's not a stud offensively, but those are definitely much improved #'s with basically the exact same role and PP situation.

And that still doesn't account for hte biggest difference in that Neal is far and away better than any winger we had on that team.
You have a point about Staal. I did forget that he missed some time.

Not so fast. As far as Neal. You had Hossa who was a lot better two way player by far and pretty sure he could score 40 goals.

Old
04-10-2012, 04:33 PM
flyingsouth

Quote:

My thoughts exactly. They were a much better defensive unit when they won the cup. Their current defensive unit is pretty flimsy...

If the good Bryz and our defence show up, we should win the series pretty handily.

flyingsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 04:48 PM
shizno

Quote:
You have a point about Staal. I did forget that he missed some time.

Not so fast. As far as Neal. You had Hossa who was a lot better two way player by far and pretty sure he could score 40 goals.
Hossa was a Wing the year the Pens won the cup

shizno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 05:04 PM
kicksave27

Is hossa the only player to make it to the finals 3 straight years with 3 different teams?

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 05:20 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Is hossa the only player to make it to the finals 3 straight years with 3 different teams?
He was the first. I don't think anyone has done it since, covering the most recent Finals.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Briere / Grossmann both in lineup for game 1

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote