HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bourdon was playing through a concussion..

Old
04-09-2012, 12:32 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
The main difference is leighton hid it to get a contract and basically defrauded the team. MAB kept it from the trainers to keep contributing to the team until guys came back and he was able to be sent down, then took his AHL salary not his NHL one. Not the smartest thing(since pronger is a big example), but MAB was trying to be a "team" player. I'm sure the players union is going to want to give him a stern talking to. But I also wouldn't be surprised if the flyers paid him his NHL money off the books. The flyers, by and large, take care of their own.

And with his good showing, he's certainly going to get a contract
Oh I agree...that's why I said it was Leighton-like but not totally on par. Leighton was by far more duplicitous ....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:35 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
The main difference is leighton hid it to get a contract and basically defrauded the team. MAB kept it from the trainers to keep contributing to the team until guys came back and he was able to be sent down, then took his AHL salary not his NHL one. Not the smartest thing(since pronger is a big example), but MAB was trying to be a "team" player. I'm sure the players union is going to want to give him a stern talking to. But I also wouldn't be surprised if the flyers paid him his NHL money off the books. The flyers, by and large, take care of their own.

What exactly went on with the Leighton back injury thing? I remember when it happened but don't remember the facts (I was pretty deeply entrenched in my defense of Homer and Leighton mindset throughout that whole ordeal). Did he lie about it or did he just not tell them about it?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:35 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Cons:
-Played through a freakin' concussion

Pros:
-Trying anything he can to make this team
-Trying to NOT take advantage of the system

Can anyone read this article and say this guy didn't go up a notch or two in your book? Yea, it's dumb, but this kind of passion coupled with decency is rare and exactly what we need. I've loved this dude ever since he hung out with me and my friends at a preseason game for a half an hour after wishing him a happy birthday at training camp. He's a really down to earth, blue collar guy, I hope we keep him up.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:38 PM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Well, leighton's situation was a bit different.. he signed.. THEN said he had a back issue.

MAB just tried to play through a concussion, he didn't hide, sign, then say oh I have a concussion.
Let me put it that way:

Can you trust a player who apparently hid an injury?
Probably yes. No harm done to the team - he just risked his own health. Tried to be tough.

Can you deliberately offer him the same contract as before the injury?
Not sure about that. He may be one hit away from LTIR .
That's were the trouble starts...

dats81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:48 PM
kicksave27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
What exactly went on with the Leighton back injury thing? I remember when it happened but don't remember the facts (I was pretty deeply entrenched in my defense of Homer and Leighton mindset throughout that whole ordeal). Did he lie about it or did he just not tell them about it?
He hurt his back working out in the offseason, exactly when is unknown. As far as the flyers were concerned he was healthy when the season ended, and they assumed as much when they signed him. He shows up to camp hurt, tries to play through it. They flyers really lucked out with Bob playing so well, leighton really put the team in a bad spot. Although we never will know, if leighton was hurt before he signed that deal, he wasn't negotiating in good faith and been stealing money the last 2 years.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:51 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
He hurt his back working out in the offseason, exactly when is unknown. As far as the flyers were concerned he was healthy when the season ended, and they assumed as much when they signed him. He shows up to camp hurt, tries to play through it. They flyers really lucked out with Bob playing so well, leighton really put the team in a bad spot. Although we never will know, if leighton was hurt before he signed that deal, he wasn't negotiating in good faith and been stealing money the last 2 years.
If I recall correctly the injury actually occurred in the playoffs per his own words...how bad it was no one knows but considering his performance in the finals one can only deduce that it might have played a part in his "stiff" performance and the Flyers being cupless since technicolor was the latest technology.

Edit: Here is some background from the time. However, again I remember him mentioning it started in the playoffs and then he actually hurt it again at home in the summer but not by exercising but moving stuff in his house or something. Might want to search the threads for a better chronology

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-philadelphia/

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 04-09-2012 at 12:59 PM.
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Xegiie

well to me its sign of good player, i also think he really ment it well and didn't do it just for the money
he didn't give up sign of true warrior

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Victory5

Quote:
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/..._ailments.html

Wow... and he really wasn't that bad, with a concussion. Sad that he played through it because he was scared of losing his job.

i've played through concussions before.

Its actually not as hard as you think. The worst part about is that when your vision gets blurry, its hard to see the puck.

Then you get nausea and headaches...but it goes away after a few days. I would have done the same thing in bourdon's position

Victory5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:54 PM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha5 View Post

Its actually not as hard as you think. The worst part about is that when your vision gets blurry, its hard to see the puck.

Then you get nausea and headaches...but it goes away after a few days. I would have done the same thing in bourdon's position
Yea, understandable that you would have some turnovers if you are going through all of that.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:56 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:

Aye yi yi yi yi, Rangers. Lol are you seriously named after an MMPR character? I love you now.

Old
04-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Mosetter27

Johnny you just quoted alpha5 on friday lol

Mosetter27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:27 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
If I recall correctly the injury actually occurred in the playoffs per his own words...how bad it was no one knows but considering his performance in the finals one can only deduce that it might have played a part in his "stiff" performance and the Flyers being cupless since technicolor was the latest technology.

Edit: Here is some background from the time. However, again I remember him mentioning it started in the playoffs and then he actually hurt it again at home in the summer but not by exercising but moving stuff in his house or something. Might want to search the threads for a better chronology

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-philadelphia/
Oh yeah, I remember now. I think my position on this is the same. Equally on Leighton and the organization. It was in Leighton's best interest to keep his mouth shut, it was Flyers best interest to make him go through a physical. If he passes the physical there isn't too much you can do. It's a ****** situation, but there is no one out there who is going to just come out and say, hey look I have this injury, you might not want to pay me millions of dollars. Whoever your favorite player is, he would do the same thing.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:32 PM
mirimon

Quote:

I would have done the same as well. I've aggravated more than one injury by attempting to play through it. I can be very, very stupid at times...

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:40 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:40 PM
StandingCow

haha, touche.... look at what he did with the whole lindros thing.

Old
04-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Victory5

Quote:
Yea, understandable that you would have some turnovers if you are going through all of that.
Yeah its annoying. Thing is, my left eye was the only one that was blurry. Not blurry like fog, but wavy so everything was thrown off. I still managed to score in that game though

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
Aye yi yi yi yi, Rangers. Lol are you seriously named after an MMPR character? I love you now.
Whats MMPR? It's just always been my username/gamertag, etc

Old
04-09-2012, 03:21 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Whats MMPR? It's just always been my username/gamertag, etc

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Victory5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post

Really? Wow..i might change my username now

Old
04-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Appleyard

Quote:

I did the same with a mild concussion, as was in contention for a youth national team place (albeit not in ice hockey!) Had no real trouble playing, as so focussed, it was just once I was on the coach or car home after i started to feel like death... and the worst was always lying in bed in the pitch black, feeling like hell but unable to sleep, with every crack of lights burning.

If anything, playing sport was a release! But I must say this was a pretty mild one!

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
Bourdons intentions were good. Nice to see him want to earn his spot and be a team player. But playing through a concussion was a big mistake. Bad play on his part. It is nice to see that he is healthy again. Before he got the concussion he looked good out there. Hope to see more of Bourdon in the future.
Just read the article. His intentions were understandable, and stupid. He only got sent down because of the two deadline acquisitions.

What if Homer had said, 'we'll settle for just Grossmann' only to find out Bourdon, his depth, was hurt? The team should be ticked at that, he could have cost the team dearly in trying to look out for himself.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:37 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory5 View Post
Really? Wow..i might change my username now
You, sir, have just demoted yourself to the party pooper list.

Old
04-09-2012, 09:47 PM
fism

Quote:

Ah, cap circumvention 101?

fism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:33 PM
JABEE

I don't understand telling the media now. The pressure to play through concussions to avoid losing your job is immense for fringe NHLers. This example could be used against the NHL and the Flyers on their effectiveness to detect concussions and create a culture where players don't have to face the choice of losing your job or taking care of your brain.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:06 AM
ilovetheflyers8

On a somewhat unrelated note does anyone watch The Daily Show a lot? A relative of mine said Bourdon was on it for 5 or so minutes, but I can't find a clip of it, or mention of him or even the Flyers on The Daily Show website. Did this actually happen or did I mishear? Maybe they meant some daily Philadelphia sports show?

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 03:17 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
On a somewhat unrelated note does anyone watch The Daily Show a lot? A relative of mine said Bourdon was on it for 5 or so minutes, but I can't find a clip of it, or mention of him or even the Flyers on The Daily Show website. Did this actually happen or did I mishear? Maybe they meant some daily Philadelphia sports show?
I watch it all the time and never saw him...