HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The Official 2012 Draft Thread: Part VII | OILERS WIN THE LOTTERY!

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2012, 12:26 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

vCash: 500
Stauffer floated this idea a few week ago...would you guys do a Johansen for 2nd overall trade with CBJ?

I would

Old
04-10-2012, 12:29 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
Stauffer floated this idea a few week ago...would you guys do a Johansen for 2nd overall trade with CBJ?

I would
I would consider it. I take it in this scenario Columbus would probably eye Yakupov + Galchenyuk.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:31 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post

I would
I thought he then said that CBJ would not.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:50 AM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boco View Post
I find it kind of interesting that he didn't really comment on Grigorenko's skillsets.
We don't know he didn't. Often in journalism several quotes are left out of the final articles. They may have talked for half an hour for all we know. The article makes it sound like a quick 5 minute chat.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:59 AM
Yeah15
2nd Tier Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
I thought he then said that CBJ would not.
Yakupov/Grigorenko or Yakupov/Galchenyuk combo would be pretty intriguing for Columbus, I'm sure.
In his 19 year old rookie season in the NHL, Johansen was 67GP 9-12-21.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:00 AM
Lowe in Oil

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Yakupov - Gagner - Hemsky
Smyth - Horcoff - Hartikainen
Jones - Belanger - Eager

Suter - Whitney
Shultz - Smid
Petry - Sutton

Dubnik
Bulin

18.8% chance.... Go Oilers Go!

Why would Suter NOT wana come here with those sets of forwards!!!

Old
04-10-2012, 01:03 AM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Hey guys, when do you think they actually reveal the order? I know they do their usual build up and everything, so I'm thinking 6:20 ish?

Old
04-10-2012, 01:05 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
We don't know he didn't. Often in journalism several quotes are left out of the final articles. They may have talked for half an hour for all we know. The article makes it sound like a quick 5 minute chat.
Well, it doesn't make much sense in leaving out comments on a player ranked right where the Oilers are picking. Seems to me that Stu's leaning towards Murray.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:06 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post
Hall - RNH - Eberle
Yakupov - Gagner - Hemsky
Smyth - Horcoff - Hartikainen
Jones - Belanger - Eager

Suter - Whitney
Shultz - Smid
Petry - Sutton

Dubnik
Bulin

18.8% chance.... Go Oilers Go!

Why would Suter NOT wana come here with those sets of forwards!!!
Because he's already told his agent he does not want to play in Canada (something Stauffer said a while back).

BTW, if they draft Yakupov I'd play him at 2RW. Trade hemsky for a top 4 D.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:07 AM
Yeah15
2nd Tier Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
Hey guys, when do you think they actually reveal the order? I know they do their usual build up and everything, so I'm thinking 6:20 ish?
Yep. Usual ********, they'll show the 5 GM's for a few minutes, talk to one about their unbelievably brutal season, and then show some highlights of prospects that every person that will be watching this show has already seen.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:17 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Well, it doesn't make much sense in leaving out comments on a player ranked right where the Oilers are picking. Seems to me that Stu's leaning towards Murray.
Or the journalist believes they're favoring a defenseman this draft hence why he brought up Dumba and Reinhart. Probably doesn't see the point in going in depth on a player he feels the Oilers won't take. Stu does say the the Oilers have scouts at every game Grigorenko is playing so if he has a good playoffs I'm sure he'd be in the conversation for the #2 pick.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:20 AM
battlegoon

Quote:
Really? What I thought when I read it he didn't give any hints. To me it looks like he might want us to move up and grab Yakupov, seems to love him. He said he's had a scout at every game Grigs and Yakupov have been a part of and only the last few weeks and playoff games for Murray.

Also sounded like he knew what Grigorenko brings to the table so he wants to know if he can keep that up in pressure situations, I didn't see any indication that he likes Murray more, just listing his skill set is all...

Old
04-10-2012, 01:21 AM
Asher

I know a few days ago Stauffer casually mentioned that the Oilers liked Grigorenko. Take that for what you will, as it was said as a very off the cuff remark.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:52 AM
pocketful
"We'll see"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I know a few days ago Stauffer casually mentioned that the Oilers liked Grigorenko. Take that for what you will, as it was said as a very off the cuff remark.
Please don't get my hopes up.

I will trust Stu. Any of the players in the top 10 will be good picks.

Old
04-10-2012, 02:21 AM
Qrispy

I forgot that the draft is still a long ways away but I really hope they can get another pick in the first round. Walking away with Grigorenko and Rielly or Murray and Faksa would be amazing. Gagner + Whitney + 2nd round pick could get us a fairly good pick I think.

Trading Gagner and Whitney for picks might set us back a little but they aren't exactly lighting the world on fire and besides, I believe Lander will be ready for the NHL full-time next season and he can fill that #2 center spot if the center we draft isn't ready. As for Whitney, we got some good dmen coming up who could impress in training camp and don't forget Fedun.

Old
04-10-2012, 03:08 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

As far as the CSS lists go... I've always viewed them as a generalized list of the top prospects available from NA and Europe. I've never taken their actual rankings seriously.

I doubt anyone actually considers those rankings as gospel. Each team has their own scouts and ranks. I don't even know what the point of those central ranking lists are beyond getting a list of names to invite to the combine. The top 100 prospects are certainly in there somewhere... but definitely not in the order they have them listed.

Old
04-10-2012, 04:42 AM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Again with this?

Roy, who plays on Grigorenko's line, has a higher ppg than Grigorenko.

Of course you know this, because weve done this dance before.

And there is the little matter of Grigorenko being fifth in scoring on his team in the playoffs.
I think you need to push your analysis a bit further, you know, look at the context. This isn't like Seguin who had been completely shut down. If you look at the Remparts games, they've completely dominated their opponents in the first 3 games, 9-3, 10-2 and 5-2 (Quebec had a 4-0 after the 1st period, then 5-0 lead early in the 3rd, their opponent was never really in that game). Under those circumstances most coaches will give their best player(s) some rest and save them for later in the playoffs.

Old
04-10-2012, 07:07 AM
Uindicator

Oilers select Grigs even with the first. Yakupov would be nice but we have that in Hallsy already, and I don't see him meshing in with the team honestly. Grigs seems more humble and more of a team player and his skillset ala Thornton/Malkin doesn't grow on trees. You look at the Championship teams now they have the 1-2 elite center combo and I think with RNH-Grigs you have that for years to come.
We just need a competent GM and Coach

Old
04-10-2012, 08:00 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by enthropi View Post
I think you need to push your analysis a bit further, you know, look at the context. This isn't like Seguin who had been completely shut down. If you look at the Remparts games, they've completely dominated their opponents in the first 3 games, 9-3, 10-2 and 5-2 (Quebec had a 4-0 after the 1st period, then 5-0 lead early in the 3rd, their opponent was never really in that game). Under those circumstances most coaches will give their best player(s) some rest and save them for later in the playoffs.
You mean like how St. John is resting Coyle and Phillips?

I dont think so.

Old
04-10-2012, 08:05 AM
GDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorchang View Post
I find it frustrating how people seem to think that Grigorenko is going anywhere in the draft except top 3. No other team would pass on the talent that is Mikhail Grigorenko simply because hes russian. Russians can successful in this league look at ovi malkin kovy khabi, even prospects like kuznetsov.

If Yakupov goes 1st then bpa available to the oilers at #2 will be Mikhail Grigorenko. With a draft pick this high its bpa>needs.
this x1000

if we dont take grigs, years from now when we are complaining about not having a big centre you can look back to this draft, guys like him dont come around very often...

Old
04-10-2012, 08:59 AM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

Quote:
You mean like how St. John is resting Coyle and Phillips?

I dont think so.
Well, the Q's mobile website sucks, so I can't check right now, but I'll assume Huberdeau isn't their leading scorer, so yeah, good example...

Old
04-10-2012, 09:02 AM
Temaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDU View Post
this x1000

if we dont take grigs, years from now when we are complaining about not having a big centre you can look back to this draft, guys like him dont come around very often...

That's why I'm almost hoping we pick 3rd, so we don't have to see Tambo screwing up with the 2nd.

Old
04-10-2012, 09:04 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthropi View Post
Well, the Q's mobile website sucks, so I can't check right now, but I'll assume Huberdeau isn't their leading scorer, so yeah, good example...
One would think they would be resting Phillips and Coyle too.

Apparently only Huberdeau gets rested. And Grigorenko of course.

Im going to go out on a limb and say that Grigorenko will probably be resting when the Remparts meet up with the Sea Dogs.

Wont that be interesting.

Old
04-10-2012, 09:04 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
They also have Ashton Sautner ranked about twenty or thirty spots ahead of Cody Corbett.

Anyone who watches the Oil Kings knows that is a farce.

The list is a joke.

Pay zero attention to it.
I gotta ask you then..... Why do you call Button's list (which is always out there) a good list?
Come on man, you know if this list had Dumba and Reinhart over Murray and Grigorenko that you wouldn't be trashing it like this.

Old
04-10-2012, 09:09 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I gotta ask you then..... Why do you call Button's list (which is always out there) a good list?
Come on man, you know if this list had Dumba and Reinhart over Murray and Grigorenko that you wouldn't be trashing it like this.
Not at all. It is garbage for the reasons I stated. Moroz over Samuelsson. Sautner over Corbett.

Lets wait and see where they are drafted.

Closed Thread