HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Jacob Trouba - US NTDP, USHL (2012, 9th overall, Winnipeg)

Old
02-03-2012, 10:59 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
13 GP, 3-7-10, 22 pim
Thats just his USHL stats. His overall stats (USHL, college games, international games) combined are 31 games 5 goals, 13 assists, 38 pims

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:22 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Jacob Trouba - The Next Ones: 2012 Draft Prospect Profile

http://thehockeywriters.com/jacob-tr...spect-profile/

What are your thoughts on Trouba?

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 05:54 PM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
I do not think you can compare him to Jack Johnson when you give him at 8 on D and 6 on O. Johnson would be closer to 8 on O, 6 on D.

I like what I have seen from him, but to be honest I always reserve judgement on players not playing CHL because they are not playing the best at their level in the world. To me he has played 13 league games this year at a level I consider below CHL. Quite simply, he is not ready yet for the rigors of an NHL schedule.

I truly believe he should be in the CHL next year to prepare. These are big years in his development. When you take a look of two recent past comparables, you can see how a lot of potential has not yet been met. Erik Johnson was probably the worst #1 pick since Stefan in 1999 (arguably DePietro, but I believe if not for injuries he would have been a great goalie), and Jack Johnson, while a good player, is already on his third NHL team, and at 25 may have tapped out on his potential. I really believe both of those players would have benefited significantly from the CHL in their major years of development. Hopefully Trouba takes that route.

You can see the talent, but you can also see the rawness. The next two years are extraordinarily important for his development. He'll be taken very high on potential, lets hope he can reach it.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 08:27 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawah View Post
I do not think you can compare him to Jack Johnson when you give him at 8 on D and 6 on O. Johnson would be closer to 8 on O, 6 on D.

I like what I have seen from him, but to be honest I always reserve judgement on players not playing CHL because they are not playing the best at their level in the world. To me he has played 13 league games this year at a level I consider below CHL. Quite simply, he is not ready yet for the rigors of an NHL schedule.

I truly believe he should be in the CHL next year to prepare. These are big years in his development. When you take a look of two recent past comparables, you can see how a lot of potential has not yet been met. Erik Johnson was probably the worst #1 pick since Stefan in 1999 (arguably DePietro, but I believe if not for injuries he would have been a great goalie), and Jack Johnson, while a good player, is already on his third NHL team, and at 25 may have tapped out on his potential. I really believe both of those players would have benefited significantly from the CHL in their major years of development. Hopefully Trouba takes that route.

You can see the talent, but you can also see the rawness. The next two years are extraordinarily important for his development. He'll be taken very high on potential, lets hope he can reach it.
And he may very not go to the CHL and play for Michigan. Who knows? I personally think he will jump ship to play with Kitchener but he could prove us all wrong by going to the Wolverines.

I also agree that the next couple years will be crucial in terms of where he needs to be to play at the NHL level. That is one of the reasons I made his ETA 2-3 years.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:53 AM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
And he may very not go to the CHL and play for Michigan. Who knows? I personally think he will jump ship to play with Kitchener but he could prove us all wrong by going to the Wolverines.

I also agree that the next couple years will be crucial in terms of where he needs to be to play at the NHL level. That is one of the reasons I made his ETA 2-3 years.
I personally think he will go to Michigan, but I do not think its the best choice for him in terms of NHL development.

As for two - three years, that can be said about just about any NHL d man, they take a while to mature, its a hard position. I'd be very surprised (and impressed) if Trouba was able to play in two years (at least in any useful capacity).

Old
04-09-2012, 11:52 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Wouldn't be surprised to see the Wild draft this kid. Just one more "Minnesota connection" to have.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:55 AM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Wouldn't be surprised to see the Wild draft this kid. Just one more "Minnesota connection" to have.
Me neither. If Anaheim doesn't take him, I see Minny taking him.

Also, don't see the Jack Johnson comparison at all. Don't know who pulled that one out of their ass.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:23 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
He's from Michigan.

04-10-2012, 02:02 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

That Jack Johnson comparison makes no sense at all

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 02:05 AM
Jean Ralphio

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
He's from Michigan.
He was born in Rochester, MN.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/jacob_trouba

Jean Ralphio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 02:09 AM
Sad Leafs fan

vCash: 1807
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Me neither. If Anaheim doesn't take him, I see Minny taking him.

Also, don't see the Jack Johnson comparison at all. Don't know who pulled that one out of their ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
That Jack Johnson comparison makes no sense at all
I don't get it either but here it is...

http://thehockeywriters.com/jacob-tr...spect-profile/

NHL Player Comparison:

- Jack Johnson

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 02:18 AM
Chrisd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Ralphio View Post

That site is wrong.

He's from Michigan.

Chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 03:56 AM
puckfan13

If anything, Dumba is a lot more like Jack Johnson. Trouba is like Ryan Suter.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:45 AM
WeissFC
@WeissFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Ralphio View Post
EliteProspects and that link both have it wrong. He's from Rochester, Michigan.

WeissFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:00 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Second fourth and sixteenth all the fine folks and can confirm he's from Michigan...

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Mustangs

Send a message via MSN to Mustangs
I am a NJ fan and I would kill for an opportunity for NJ to pick this kid. Just from a few times that I watched him on tv (WJC) I thought he played as one of there better defencemen. Personally I think he is better then a bunch of the "more talked" about defencemen in the draft.

Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 02:40 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
If anything, Dumba is a lot more like Jack Johnson. Trouba is like Ryan Suter.
A bit closer, I see him more as a undersized Shea Weber. That's just me.

But Jack Johnson? Nahhhhhhhhh.

Old
04-10-2012, 02:42 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangs View Post
I am a NJ fan and I would kill for an opportunity for NJ to pick this kid. Just from a few times that I watched him on tv (WJC) I thought he played as one of there better defencemen. Personally I think he is better then a bunch of the "more talked" about defencemen in the draft.
Easily USA's best. no contest. Best player even.

Old
04-10-2012, 07:51 PM
WeissFC
@WeissFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
A bit closer, I see him more as a undersized Shea Weber. That's just me.

But Jack Johnson? Nahhhhhhhhh.
He has said he likes the way Weber plays and that their games are similar as well. I'd say it's a pretty good NHL skillset comparison

WeissFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:55 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I hope one of Trouba or Dumba are available at #9.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:00 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
I hope one of Trouba or Dumba are available at #9.
Almost a sure thing that one of those two or Rielly will be there then.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:26 PM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Almost a sure thing that one of those two or Rielly will be there then.
Heck, add in Ceci and Reinhart into the mix as two players of pretty good caliber who will be drafted someplace around 9th overall. Even to a lesser extent I like Poulliot not far off this position.

To me this draft has no obvious great D man, but the number of D men who will make a top 4 pairing in the NHL is very high.

Old
04-10-2012, 09:08 PM
biturbo19

Am i the only one who sees a strong Bogosian-ness to Trouba? They seem like very similar players to me watching them, and considering their strengths/weaknesses and how they project as a pro.

I see Jack Johnson and Cam Fowler comparisons thrown around a lot and it makes zero sense to me. Trouba isn't really that sort of pure offensive guy, and there's a more physical dimension to his game. To me, he looks like more of a smooth puckmoving all-around guy with a lower offensive ceiling a la what Bogosian has started to turn into.

I think a lot of teams would love to add a player like this, but i have a suspicion that like Bogosian, Trouba is going to take a bit of time to really warm up to the NHL.

biturbo19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:01 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangs View Post
He is going to Michigan too. Could you imagine a Merrill-Trouba pairing in the NHL? Absolute domination.

I've heard people call him a physical version of Cam Fowler which is just false. His game revolves around defense and the offense comes as a result of that.

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:47 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post
He is going to Michigan too. Could you imagine a Merrill-Trouba pairing in the NHL? Absolute domination.

I've heard people call him a physical version of Cam Fowler which is just false. His game revolves around defense and the offense comes as a result of that.
Trouba has some solid wheels, and he can shoot like a cannon and move the puck. I dont mind the Jack Johnson comparisons, I have seen a lot worse. To be honest I like the Bogosian comparison as Trouba is going to be more of a hard nosed/hard hitting defender then a puck rusher....but dont underestimate Trouba's offensive talents. I have watched the kid play probably 20 times over the past 3 plus years...the kid has skill.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote