HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Panthers Praised in ESPN article: predicted to beat Devils.

Old
04-09-2012, 10:23 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

vCash: 500
Panthers Praised in ESPN article: predicted to beat Devils.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2012...-jersey-devils

Quote:
Know this: Virtually no one picked the Florida Panthers to make the playoffs for the first time since 2000, let alone win their first Southeast Division title. But that didn't stop GM Dale Tallon's scrappy bunch from doing just that. And know this: Almost no one will pick the Panthers to make a dent in a very good New Jersey team that ended up the sixth seed but actually collected eight more points than the Panthers (thanks, NHL, for that misbegotten playoff setup).

But having spent time in Florida during training camp and then late in the season, and having been among the few who thought this team had a shot at a postseason berth, we're not convinced this series is as lopsided as many assume. The Panthers nearly gave away this shot at the postseason by managing to win just twice in their last 10 games, although, if you're a Cats fan, you point out they did manage to collect points in seven of those 10 games and they are truly a team with nothing to lose at this stage.

Last edited by Acadmus: 04-10-2012 at 04:47 AM. Reason: posted a full article
adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Beezeral

well written

Beezeral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:01 AM
PanthersRule96

Though we matched up well against jersey in the regular season, they have some guys who are big-time players on offense. Guys like Clarkson will play a key role especially. Elias has been there, Sykora as well, Kovalchuk is a terrific player, Parise is also a big time guy. Marty's the biggest factor for them though IMO.

With the way their team is put together, it wouldn't be a shock to me if they were able to go to the east final. They'd be my "underdog" pick out of the east if I had a gun to my head and had to choose.

That said, I think we have some guys who will be very amped up and motivated to do what they can under the lights of playoff hockey. We need our goalie to be hot and we have to make sure we take advantage when we can.

The trio of Goc, Kopecky, and Bergenheim IMO can have a big impact on how we perform. All 3 are experienced and especially Goc and Bergie have a tendency to show up when we need them. Hopefully the first line goes out and scores some goals, but if Goc or Bergie are on the ice and we need an OT or late goal in a 0-0 or 1-1 type of game, they would be the guys I'd pick to get them.

I am a little worried that when it's a tight checking game, Versteeg is going to be smothered. I'd love for him to prove me wrong and fight through it, as he can be fiery and gritty, but I also think that if you hit him hard and consistently, you can take him out of the play easily. If they're physical against us and really take the body on Weiss, Flash, and Steeg, I don't see that line scoring much. The physicality is the biggest difference between the regular season and the playoffs, so how we respond to that will really dictate how far we go. Even guys like Matthias will have a big role, since he's the type of guy who is strong enough to go out there and play well off the cycle and grind it out. We're going to have to do a lot of that to win.

I think we have a shot, no doubt, but I'm perfectly content being the underdogs going into this series and having the talking heads pick Jersey. It's decided on the ice, not in the TV studios.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:31 AM
CatWoman34
Fool on the Hill

I love the tidbit about our vets - we do have the more "experienced" squad on our team... interesting...

Thought this was a great article though - actually well thought-out and researched. Thanks for passing this along, I don't usually read ESPN!

CatWoman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:21 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I wasn't expecting much when opening this thread since I don't pretty much ever favor ESPN, but this was actually very well written and researched. I'm not expecting many analysts and writers to choose us to win the series, and we certainly are underdogs despite having a 2-1-1 record against the Devils this season. On paper, they do have the advantage. I realized whatever happens, I'm just so proud of what this team has accomplished this season and how it's only the beginning on better ones to come.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

vCash: 50
http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2012.../experts-picks

I looked a bit around and found what the experts think of all the series..

3 out of 12 experts picked us. That are 25 %

I though we were the underdog no one picked..

But you just have to look at the Caps

0 %

Boothinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:16 PM
nhlfan9191

I'm expecting a true Panther Cinderella story this spring.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:18 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothinator View Post

0 %
for what its worth i think we have a better shot at beating the devils than the caps do. But the caps would lose to any team in the first round so thats a moot point.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersflames1 View Post
for what its worth i think we have a better shot at beating the devils than the caps do. But the caps would lose to any team in the first round so thats a moot point.
Yeah. They can be glad that they are even playing in the postseason.

Boothinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 03:16 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothinator View Post

0 %
I wouldn't even look at ESPN, they predicted them last year and got like none of them right.

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 03:31 PM
p9ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersflames1 View Post
I wouldn't count them out, Holtby could be a very good surprise.

p9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 04:27 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by p9ers View Post
I wouldn't count them out, Holtby could be a very good surprise.
I agree, I think the Caps could beat anyone on any given night. If any team has a group of guys you'd call 'gamers,' it'd be the caps. They may not show up every night during the regular season, but when the heat gets turned up, any one of Green, Semin, Backstrom, or Ovie can score that much needed goal just off of skill alone. Plus they have some grinders as well capable of putting pucks in.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:56 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

I will be happy if the Panthers are in every game and win at least two. I think this year is mostly about experience for our young guys who will become our core guys like kulikov, gudbranson, garrison(hopefully), ellerby, matthias, bergenheim, etc.

I will be upset if Brodeur stones us.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 05:14 AM
Acadmus

There's some parallels between this year's team and the 1996 team, for what it's worth.

1) Both teams were made up of castoffs from other teams

2) both teams won fewer than half their games (the '96 team had a lot of ties) and hated to lose more than they wanted to win.

3) both teams were known more for keeping pucks out of the net than for putting pucks in it.

maybe there's more parallels, but that's all I got for now

04-10-2012, 05:37 AM
hockeypig

the cats will go very far!

Last edited by hockeypig: 04-10-2012 at 06:22 AM.
hockeypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 05:38 AM
hockeypig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
There's some parallels between this year's team and the 1996 team, for what it's worth.

1) Both teams were made up of castoffs from other teams

2) both teams won fewer than half their games (the '96 team had a lot of ties) and hated to lose more than they wanted to win.

3) both teams were known more for keeping pucks out of the net than for putting pucks in it.

maybe there's more parallels, but that's all I got for now
Both had jovo, or a stud rookie defenseman.

hockeypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 05:46 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeypig View Post
Both had jovo, or a stud rookie defenseman.
That should be "Both had Jovocop AND a stud rookie defenseman.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Clare

Cats fans, peace be with you!

I just wanted to stop in and say that I hope the best for your team and its fanbase. I'm pulling for a Pens-Cats ECF, F the haters. My team is pretty much the most hated right now and your's is the most severly underrated (as well as dismissed). I don't think your season was a fluke nor believe that you'll simply get swept by New Jersey like many predict. Play'em like its 1996

Clare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:13 AM
LUUUUUIS
Bandwagoneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post

I just wanted to stop in and say that I hope the best for your team and its fanbase. I'm pulling for a Pens-Cats ECF, F the haters. My team is pretty much the most hated right now and your's is the most severly underrated (as well as dismissed). I don't think your season was a fluke nor believe that you'll simply get swept by New Jersey like many predict. Play'em like its 1996
Very much appreciated! My coworker is from Pittsburgh, big Pens fan. I have to admit it's rubbing off on me a bit. I don't think the Cats will make it, but I'm thinking PIT in the ECF for sure.

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 06:27 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post

Careful what you wish for. The '96 Pens team was pretty stacked too!

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:39 PM
jakethesnake23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
I agree, I think the Caps could beat anyone on any given night. If any team has a group of guys you'd call 'gamers,' it'd be the caps. They may not show up every night during the regular season, but when the heat gets turned up, any one of Green, Semin, Backstrom, or Ovie can score that much needed goal just off of skill alone. Plus they have some grinders as well capable of putting pucks in.
I don't know if you forgot but these "gamers" have been bundled out of the playoffs early each of the last 4 years and have been labelled the biggest playoff chokers in recent history.

jakethesnake23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Clare

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever View Post
Careful what you wish for. The '96 Pens team was pretty stacked too!
I know, I know. I kinda wanted to mention 1996 and expected someone to retort in such a way. That was my favorite Pens team until 2008, but I had a soft spot for the Panthers and John Vanbiesbrouck. I won't say that history would repeat itself, but I wouldn't mind having a rematch of the 1996 ECF.

Hey someone could bean Malkin with a rubber rat >>> poking the bear >>> Malkin goes into 2009 ECF God Mode.

Clare is offline   Reply With Quote