HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexander Radulov to CSKA Moscow, KHL. 4-Year Deal.

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2012, 12:48 AM
asmeus

vCash: 500
Poile: Radulov will be traded or return to KHL

Hello, I didn't see it here, so...

Russian hockey portal, which is dedicated to hockey,
is reporting that Radulov has been offered 36 mil for 4 years.

http://allhockey.ru/news/120648/

The article is about, that the sources have given the details of contract, and that Radulov will decide, where he will play - nhl or khl, after the season.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:56 AM
ChesterCopperpot1

Well I certainly doubt he will get 9mil a yr from us. Not sure which NHL team would sign him to that sort of contract. I could see an 8 yr 60million contract

Old
04-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

The KHL will always have the NHL (or, Preds) by the nuggets in terms of financial offers. Sure we could offer him that kind of money, but it would likely be irresponsible to do so. We could likely offer him 7 to 8 mil a year but over here, in the world's best league, we have to spend our money wisely. If the KHL is truly determined to always offer Rads more than his NHL market value, all we can do is hope he'll stay here for other reasons.

Old
04-10-2012, 02:38 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I seriously doubt we offered him 9 million per over 4 years. He can't just walk in and be paid way higher than anyone else. I don't believe it.

Old
04-10-2012, 02:39 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyfan84 View Post
Well I certainly doubt he will get 9mil a yr from us. Not sure which NHL team would sign him to that sort of contract. I could see an 8 yr 60million contract
The aritcle is saying that the Preds have already offered this. I'm not counting on that.

Old
04-10-2012, 03:36 AM
alexmanu

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we offered him that. He has shown the ability to be an elite forward in this league.

Old
04-10-2012, 05:12 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

One player in the league has a cap hit that big ... Ovechkin. Doubtful that the Preds have made that type of offer .

Old
04-10-2012, 07:30 AM
RaiderDoug

I'm on the "sign Rads at all costs" bandwagon, but 4yrs@9mil for an RFA with limited NHL time and a history of character questions? Not happening.

Sidney Crosby is only at 8.7.

What happens after 4 years? 4 more at 18 mil?

I don't see it. I could see a 6@6 or 6@7 though, and would be happy with that.

I don't think, with cap restrictions, we could outbid the KHL though. Nor would that be smart team building either.

Old
04-10-2012, 07:34 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
I just can't imagine the Preds offering Rads a $9m/yr contract.

Old
04-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Reportedly this rumored deal was started by rads russian agent

Old
04-10-2012, 08:05 AM
ChesterCopperpot1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
The aritcle is saying that the Preds have already offered this. I'm not counting on that.
I must've mosunderstood what the guy was saying. I thought he said a team from te KHL offered this bit I just saw on twitter that it was us.

Old
04-10-2012, 08:33 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
Reportedly this rumored deal was started by rads russian agent
and if so, it reeks of desperation.

Old
04-10-2012, 08:52 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

I don't believe this to be true. That said, IF it was true, Poile would have already gotten word from Suter that he's out.

Old
04-10-2012, 08:57 AM
wadesworld

I find it REALLY hard to believe that Poile and Rads are finding time to sit down and engage in contract talks at the current moment.

I firmly believe the situation is just what Poile said it was at the press conference: "Let's play hockey - no pressure. We'll work out the contract stuff after the playoffs are over."

Old
04-10-2012, 10:00 AM
token grinder

If any of you think that GMs are sitting by watching playoffs, you are mistaken. GMs and agents are in contact with one another. Poile knows what Radulov wants already. Whether or not he gets it is another story. He may be waiting on Suter, who knows? Suter is waiting on to see what the teams plans are going forward. He has agreed to money and years before Thanksgiving. It is a matter of him signing it. And I don't balme either for wanting to make sure we are going to continue to spend money.

Old
04-10-2012, 10:12 AM
dubgeek

I just don't believe this is a legit offer from Poile. It makes no sense to pay that out of the gate. It's bidding against yourself. I'm more inclined to believe this came from Radulov's agent as mentioned above.

IF it came out of the Preds office then it's a smoke screen to either drive the price up and ensure the Preds get a HUGE return in picks if they don't match or to scare other teams away from making any RFA offer at all. But I highly doubt this number came from the Preds.

Old
04-10-2012, 10:14 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

First, the player/agent and the GM do not necessarily have to be able to negotiate for the GM to offer a contract. Of course, why the hell would a GM offer a $9m/yr contract to a guy who, while he has looked outstanding, has played all of nine regular season games in the NHL since 2008? You would think the GM would at least try to low ball it a bit to begin negotiations. Also remember that Poile keeps a tight ship. When things get out it's probably because he wants them to get out. Maybe someone inside started the rumor to drive the price of a OS through the roof.

Second, if this truly was a rumor started by his Russian agent then it is clearly a move attempting to get a huge offer from a KHL team. I would like to once again state that Russia posters who would know better than us have already told us that KHL contracts are absolutely not tax-free.

FWIW, I quickly searched to see if I could compare tax rates in the United States to Russia. It looks like the high-end tax rates would be pretty similar in both countries. I don't really have time to try to teach myself anything about Russia Tax Code today, so I could be wrong.

I wouldn't be surprised if the $36m figure is accurate, but the 4yr figure is not.

Last edited by TMI: 04-10-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old
04-10-2012, 10:18 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubgeek View Post
I just don't believe this is a legit offer from Poile. It makes no sense to pay that out of the gate. It's bidding against yourself. I'm more inclined to believe this came from Radulov's agent as mentioned above.

IF it came out of the Preds office then it's a smoke screen to either drive the price up and ensure the Preds get a HUGE return in picks if they don't match or to scare other teams away from making any RFA offer at all. But I highly doubt this number came from the Preds.
You're not bidding against yourself. You're bidding against a league with no limit to what they can spend on a player, and in particular, a very rich team that's run by the PRESIDENT OF THE KHL.

Old
04-10-2012, 10:25 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
First, the player/agent and the GM do not necessarily have to be able to negotiate for the GM to offer a contract. Of course, why the hell would a GM offer a $9m/yr contract to a guy who, while he has looked outstanding, has played all of nine regular season games in the NHL since 2008?

Second, if this truly was a rumor started by his Russian agent then it is clearly a move attempting to get a huge offer from a KHL team. I would like to once again state that Russia posters who would know better than us have already told us that KHL contracts are absolutely not tax-free.

FWIW, I quickly searched to see if I could compare tax rates in the United States to Russia. It looks like the high-end tax rates would be pretty similar in both countries. I don't really have time to try to teach myself anything about Russia Tax Code today, so I could be wrong.

I wouldn't be surprised if the $36m figure is accurate, but the 4yr figure is not.
It's time that we stop being naive about things like "hometown discounts" and players not being willing\wanting to play elsewhere. When Rads returned, there was a lot of talk about signing him to a 3 year "prove it" contract for the area of 4 million per. That was NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. There's no incentive for him to sign such a contract, not when he could go back to the KHL and make 6 or 7 million per.

Radulov believes(rightly, IMO) that he's a top tier offensive player. Maybe not Malkin, but certainly at the level of a player like Kane, Nash, Getzlaf, etc. The going rate for a player like that is 6-7.5 million. That's likely his fair value. Does that involve rolling the dice that he'll be able to live up to that contract over a full season? Sure, but the Predators aren't in the drivers seat.

Just like signing Pekka meant giving him a deal that was about 2 years too long and a million dollars too much...it's what it took to get him to forego the open market. It'll take a similar gesture to get Radulov to forget going home, once and for all.

Old
04-10-2012, 10:40 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Agreed. I could see the $36m value being spot on with another year, maybe two, added to the term. $7.2m isn't a stretch. $6m would be perfect for us if he would sign it.

edit: btn, after you quoted me I clarified my comments a bit. My remark questioning why a GM would offer that amount to a guy who has only played nine games in four years was meant to come across as a TERRIBLE negotiation tactic and not an expectation of a discount. If the team, who happens to be the party interested in starting the negotiations off low, comes to the table with that deal then the agent absolutely has to start pushing for a cap max contract instead, even if he knows he won't get it. I mean, if I had an agent would failed to do that I would be livid. Not because I would expect the contract, but because I am paying him to do just that

Old
04-10-2012, 12:16 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Radulov believes(rightly, IMO) that he's a top tier offensive player. Maybe not Malkin, but certainly at the level of a player like Kane, Nash, Getzlaf, etc. The going rate for a player like that is 6-7.5 million. That's likely his fair value.
Sorry, but that's not at all his fair value.

He hasn't proven ANYTHING CLOSE to what those guys have in the NHL. Nash has won scoring titles. Kane has lead his team to the cup. Radulov had a 26 goal season and then bolted on his contract.

I'm excited that Radulov has the potential to be a game changer for us. But unless he leads up deep in the playoffs, he should get no where close to what elite players are getting.

He may hold Poile's feet the fire and threaten going back to the KHL, but that won't mean it's fair market value.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:55 PM
token grinder

he is a .75-1 PPG player. those guys get 6.5+ As a fan base, we may still be jaded bc we didn't get a full year out of him. There is no prove it year. We will offer 1st line money and he will either take it or leave it

Old
04-10-2012, 01:04 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
he is a .75-1 PPG player. those guys get 6.5+ As a fan base, we may still be jaded bc we didn't get a full year out of him. There is no prove it year.t
How do you figure he's a PPG player in the NHL? Based on his 7 pts in 9 games?

There should be a prove it year. No arbitrator would give him elite money for 58 point career high.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:13 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
How do you figure he's a PPG player in the NHL? Based on his 7 pts in 9 games?

There should be a prove it year. No arbitrator would give him elite money for 58 point career high.
In a normal situation, in a perfect world, you're right.

But this is a unique situation. Just like his coming back--this is all unprecedented. A standard NHL contract is formulated to be competitive against 29 other teams-- or less, if the player is an RFA. In Rads' case, he's a very valuable player that is coveted by not just the NHL, but by an entire other league and its president. We don't hold all the cards here...Radulov does. We need him worse than he needs us, especially if he truly can become a UFA after just one more year in the KHL.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:14 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

9 mil is high but not as bad as ppl may think.

Players like Hemsky getting 5 mil the next 2 years isnt gonna help.

The cap will go up (Rumored 3-8 mil)

Suter will probably leave freeing up some space.

Hes something we have been lacking and quite frankly never had. Sign him up at all costs.

Anyone who says he isnt a PPG player and he needs to prove himself... Come on hes already done so much for us in such little time in his return. Look what he did in the KHL, look what he did as a 20, 21 yr old in the NHL. Listen to what players overseas or Datsyuk, Hudler, have said about him. Hes elite, there is no question about it.

Closed Thread