HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Losing the Presidents Trophy is a major letdown

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-09-2012, 04:03 PM
  #126
TrueBlueNorwegian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Norway
Posts: 351
vCash: 500
Didnt go through the whole thread so frogive me if this has been mentioned already

Im actually glad we didnt win it. History shows that the team that wins the Presidents Trophy rarely win the Cup in the same season. That Trophy is jinxed!

TrueBlueNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 04:07 PM
  #127
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,781
vCash: 528
What a crazy thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueNorwegian View Post
Didnt go through the whole thread so frogive me if this has been mentioned already

Im actually glad we didnt win it. History shows that the team that wins the Presidents Trophy rarely win the Cup in the same season. That Trophy is jinxed!
I would also care less about winning it, but statistically, the Presiden't Trophy winner still has the highest probability for Stanley Cup Win than any other seed.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 04:41 PM
  #128
Scotty Hockey
Registered User
 
Scotty Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Commack, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Lundqvist blew the ****ing Presidents' Trophy and Vezina in one day. Well ****ing done. Well done by supposedly our best player.
Now I call the team out for their deficiencies on occasion (*cough*) but even I am utterly horrified by this comment.

Scotty Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 04:53 PM
  #129
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post


pretty much
If regular season was the same as spring training then there wouldn't be seeding based on regular season and the top 4 seeds wouldn't win every year but one.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 05:40 PM
  #130
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,418
vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Hockey View Post
Now I call the team out for their deficiencies on occasion (*cough*) but even I am utterly horrified by this comment.
I'm not as angry towards Lundqvist as him, but I agree with what he said.

__________________
++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<
-]>++++++.>+.+++++++++++++++.>+++++++++.<-.
>-------.<<-----.>----.>.<<+++++++++++.>-------------
-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." — -31-
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 05:47 PM
  #131
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
If regular season was the same as spring training then there wouldn't be seeding based on regular season and the top 4 seeds wouldn't win every year but one.
So, if the Rangers had finished with a couple more regular season points you think this would have helped their chances of winning a Cup?

Can you offer up some logic or evidence for that?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 04:55 AM
  #132
NHL94com*
 
NHL94com*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
So, if the Rangers had finished with a couple more regular season points you think this would have helped their chances of winning a Cup?

Can you offer up some logic or evidence for that?
Vancouver in the finals? Game 7 at home? Hello? Mcfly? Anybody home?

NHL94com* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 05:10 AM
  #133
ShutThePuckUp
Custom User Title
 
ShutThePuckUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL94com View Post
Vancouver in the finals? Game 7 at home? Hello? Mcfly? Anybody home?
Let's cross that bridge when we get there?

ShutThePuckUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 05:27 AM
  #134
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL94com View Post
Vancouver in the finals? Game 7 at home? Hello? Mcfly? Anybody home?
I remember it well. That was when the Rangers earned home ice and lost a couple of home games, including a chance to win at home in Game 5.

Does home ice advantage only work some times?

Much as I was happy to win in 7, a couple of goalposts were a bigger factor than home ice that night.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 06:23 AM
  #135
allstar3970
Registered User
 
allstar3970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
The president's trophy is more important than you guys think. It's something to take pride in and feel good about. It's not like the garden's ceiling is tight on banner space.
tell that to the players and coach, who couldn't care less about it.

So many people becoming drama queens over this

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 06:33 AM
  #136
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,418
vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
tell that to the players and coach, who couldn't care less about it.

So many people becoming drama queens over this
Really? Last time I checked, Tortorella said he wants to win it.

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 06:53 AM
  #137
JayQueensNY88*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Losing the Presidents Trophy is a major letdown

According to who? You?

It would have been an added bonus getting the Presidents trophy on top of a VERY successful season for a VERY inexpierienced team( with just a few solid vets and a couple proven winners).

people just need something complain about.this is there best reg season statss and record since the cup season..which is like 12 years..

So why dont ppl try n be happy and realize this team is progressing actually quickly and is going to be something special!!!

STOP *****ING PEOPLE,damn this board is full of way to many crybabies.....

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 06:54 AM
  #138
JayQueensNY88*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
ooppps,I mean since the cup is 18 seasons or whatever...

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:01 AM
  #139
mhurley
Registered User
 
mhurley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Long Island
Country: Jamaica
Posts: 485
vCash: 500
I was in the Garden for the last two games where the President's Trophy was on the line. Two effing points and it would have been ours.

After the Rangers lost both game in such a decisive fashion, the crowd was really deflated. To lose to mutts like the Caps and an "AHL" goaltender is really a disgrace.

The commenter above was right. It isn't exactly like the Garden lacks the space for another banner.

Losing the President' Trophy is significant because it is an indicator of the lack of mental toughness and the desire to win needed to succeed in the playoffs.

As far as Henrik goes, I think he must be more injured then they are letting on. He played himself out of the Vezina. That's a damn shame.

Not to be a doom and gloomer, but I have little confidence in the Rangers getting past Ottawa, a team that they do not match up well against and who have owned them for more years then I care to remember.

At least without Neuvirth or Vokoun I thought they had a chance. Notice how the Caps had Backstrom, Green and Semin on the ice for the last game. Same crew the swept the Rangers before.

Better the Rangers had dropped to fourth to play the Flyers, who they owned all season. In hindsight, it looks like the Islanders really didn't do us any favors.

mhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:24 AM
  #140
Chimp
Registered User
 
Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In my food garden.
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,476
vCash: 500
The moaning in here is absurd and some of you come off as nothing but spoiled brats (especially those who have done nothing but whined for the last couple of months, but they are conveniently ignored). Who cares that we clinched the 1st and had an unbelievable season, despite bad injuries? Who cares Lundqvist was the team MVP yet again? We didn't win the last game of the season!

The team did barely put out their skates on the ice against the Caps, because they had a hard time motivating themselves 100% for a game that was virtually meaningless to them. They had moved on onto the preparation of the playoffs. They were even quoted on admitting it. They suffered some untimely goals and didn't have the motivation to put up the effort to make a comeback. Games are decided by little things and things were against us that night.

So what happens? 1st goal is through a screen of players, on a clean faceoff loss that you cannot lose in your own zone. 2nd goal is off a deflection right in front, by a completely uncontested opponent. 3rd goal is off a screen by our own shot blockers and deflected (twice(!), according to some Caps fans who watched their feed) right into the top corner. 4th is a great shot by Bäckström, just by the short post, right over the pad, where he used the D-man as a screen. School example how you score goals.

So, 2 goals Hank couldn't even see, one goal was partially screened on a great shot and one was a deflection. And you say Hank was terrible, because his stats were bad? Are you for real? Is it even imaginable for you to comprehend that some games are just a nightmare for a goalie and that it doesn't have much to do with his form or focus? If you lose three poker hands in a row with a 95% winning probability in each hand, does that mean you're a bad poker player? **** happens, deal with it and stop trying to come up with some half assed explanations that aren't even there.

Somehow, it's Lundqvist's fault because he let in 4 goals where we scored one, because he only faced 17 shots. Like that has anything to do with it. Way to ignore what those 17 shots looked like and what our 35 shots looked like. We played sloppy, unmotivated hockey and didn't do the work this team has to put in to win games. We half assed it offensively and defensively and weren't exactly lucky in key situations. Post out, while our opponents got their lucky bounces.

All in all, I can't take some opinions in here seriously at all, especially when it comes down to major *****ing and whining because the team lost the last frigging game of the season and failing to see why we lost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
... You can't just say oh well 20 out of 27 teams were not number one, therefore number one isn't the best seed to have to win the cup. All that proves is that you do not NEED to be number one to win the cup.

Edit: Clarifying, by seed I mean overall rank.
Exactly. By saying "oh, President's Trophy team only won 7 out of 27, that's bad", you fail to interpret simple probability numbers. No, that's not bad, when 15 other teams share the other 20 wins. But, no one can in a convincing manner mean that just because the Rangers lost to a climbing Caps team with their key injuries back, while the Canucks molested the crappy Oilers, their chances of winning the Cup improved, just because they won a trophy. Only if the Canucks and Rangers face eachother in the finals and even there, the Rangers are a solid road team.


Last edited by Chimp: 04-10-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:47 AM
  #141
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Its NOt a let down.

But winning it is NOT meaningless.
I came over to see what was posted and saw this thread.

This this this this this.

Being a fan of a team looking up at you guys in the standings, I'll gladly trade you if it's THAT much of a let down.

All you need is for Vancouver to flop in one of the first 3 rounds and you've got home ice advantage for the entire playoffs.

And with a road record of 24-12-5 for the Rangers, being on the road isn't necessarily a bad thing

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:02 AM
  #142
mug25
Registered User
 
mug25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 321
vCash: 500
Not disappointed at all. The Rangers played above expectations all season long. They dont get the credit they deserve for being first place in the Conference for most of the season.

mug25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:05 AM
  #143
Tawnos
Moderator
BoH Mod Only
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Only if the Canucks and Rangers face eachother in the finals and even there, the Rangers are a solid road team.
when it comes down to it, so are the Canucks. In terms of the home ice thing, this doesn't matter much.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:17 AM
  #144
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Really? Last time I checked, Tortorella said he wants to win it.
Eh, he only started saying that right before the last game.

Kel Varnsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:21 AM
  #145
JayQueensNY88*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mug25 View Post
Not disappointed at all. The Rangers played above expectations all season long. They dont get the credit they deserve for being first place in the Conference for most of the season.
I agree,only one with common sense.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:23 AM
  #146
Gr9vy
Registered User
 
Gr9vy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
hahahaha, wow
I dont know about you guys but I came into this season with not many expectations maybe a 5-6th seed.
Now lets go back to day 1 of the 2011-2012 season.
If I told you we could be in 2nd in the ENTIRE NHL and 1st in the ENTIRE eastern conf but we'll miss out on the President's Trophy.
would you tell me no I want the President's Trophy otherwise this season would be a let down?
I doubt it.
shut up
enjoy the fantastic season we had
and get ready for what looks like a fun playoff where we have a chance to make one of the best runs we've had in 18 years

Bunch o' whining babies if you ask me

Gr9vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:28 AM
  #147
JayQueensNY88*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr9vy View Post
Bunch o' whining babies if you ask me
WORD ,lol,I agree again

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:40 AM
  #148
dfine06
Registered User
 
dfine06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 51
vCash: 500
Sucks but wouldn't it be more of a letdown losing the 1st round. you play for the cup. lets revisit end of month.

dfine06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:07 AM
  #149
mug25
Registered User
 
mug25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 321
vCash: 500
We have to face it. The Rangers are not the Yankees of Hockey. They tried to be in the Gomez/Drury era and that failed. This team is homegrown with a little bit of free agent "punch".

I would be disappointed if we dont go deep into the playoffs. There is no reason why we should not.

mug25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:57 AM
  #150
JayQueensNY88*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfine06 View Post
a letdown losing the 1st round.
I agree 100%,thats a dissapointment

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.