HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Tortorella Fined $20,000 for Pittsburgh Comments

Old
04-10-2012, 07:50 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLinePass View Post
I'm glad we have coach that has the balls to speak his mind after a play like that.
Me too.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...004610001.html

---

Also, loved the Crosby-Bettman pic. Priceless.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:49 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Penguins fans: You have your own board, as well as a public forum to discuss this topic. Anyone else posting garbage in this thread will be infracted.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Baby Punisher

I don't know if this was posted earlier. I was thinking about Torts being fined again because he called out the Pens & there players. To all those who think that the Pens aren't favored you need not look further than the San Jose Joe Thornton incient when Tort's called Thornton out early in the season stating that he has never won anything & might have called him a whiner to.

There was no fine in this instance. The leauge really needs to take a step back & reliaze that while they kiss Marios ring at every twist & turn they are alienating 29 other teams, & the teams & fans are fed up with the BS.

Last edited by Baby Punisher: 04-10-2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:14 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Penguins fans: You have your own board, as well as a public forum to discuss this topic. Anyone else posting garbage in this thread will be infracted.
As long as Shanahan isn't the one in charge of handing them out.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:24 AM
mug25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
I don't know if this was posted earlier. I was thinking about Torts being finbed again because he called out the Pens & there players. To all those who think that the Pens aren't favored you need not look further than the San Jose Joe Thornton incient when Tort's called Thornton out early in the season stating that he has never won anything & might have called him a whiner to.

There was no fine in this instance. The leauge really needs to take a step back & reliaze that while they kiss Marios ring at every twist & turn they are alienating 29 other teams, & the teams & fans are fed up with the BS.
Here's to hoping the Golden Birds get knocked out in the first round.

mug25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:51 AM
DrZoidberg

On Thursday, Crosby was once again bearing the brunt of an attack, this one from New York Rangers coach John Tortorella following a game that saw Rangers forward Derek Stepan absorb a knee-to-knee hit from Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik.

"I wonder what would happen if we did it to their two whining stars? Wonder what would happen?" Tortorella said, referring to Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. "So I'm anxious to see what happens with the League. There's no respect amongst players. None."

Bettman said Tortorella's comments come with the territory of Crosby being one of the game's biggest stars.

"The level of passion, emotion and gamesmanship can never be overestimated," Bettman said. "I think people who follow the game closely understand it's just noise. My guess is, Sidney Crosby is still the most popular player and has legions of fans in all ages in multiple countries. The fact that somebody might take a potshot, I guess, is the price of greatness."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=627054

DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:04 AM
mug25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
On Thursday, Crosby was once again bearing the brunt of an attack, this one from New York Rangers coach John Tortorella following a game that saw Rangers forward Derek Stepan absorb a knee-to-knee hit from Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik.

"I wonder what would happen if we did it to their two whining stars? Wonder what would happen?" Tortorella said, referring to Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. "So I'm anxious to see what happens with the League. There's no respect amongst players. None."

Bettman said Tortorella's comments come with the territory of Crosby being one of the game's biggest stars.

"The level of passion, emotion and gamesmanship can never be overestimated," Bettman said. "I think people who follow the game closely understand it's just noise. My guess is, Sidney Crosby is still the most popular player and has legions of fans in all ages in multiple countries. The fact that somebody might take a potshot, I guess, is the price of greatness."

You're kidding me?! Bettman has permanently sewn his lips to Sid's ****.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:08 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post

Bettman still doesn't get it. I doubt somebody would have taken a potshot at Stamkos. People aren't criticizing Sid just because he is great, nor because he is "popular" (and if the NHL marketing department actually did some research, they would realize that Crosby is not so popular amongst legions of diehard fans).

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:15 AM
mug25

Notice NHL.com has commenting disabled for that article?

Old
04-10-2012, 11:45 AM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mug25 View Post
Notice NHL.com has commenting disabled for that article?
Yeah, what the ****? I've never seen them disable comments on an article before.

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
That's a bunch of made up ********. Torts has dropped f bombs in numerous interviews before and hasn't been fined. If he said the same about any other team, he'd be wrong in saying it, but he'd also have his 20K still with him.
I believe all the NHL said was the fine was levied because of "the language used" or something like that. Very vague. Could have been because of the F-bombs, or could've been because of his message.

As a Ranger fan, Im not afraid to admit Im a little put-off that my head coach has accused the NHL of fixing games twice in the last three months.

Hes led the team to a great season though, so it doesnt bother me too much. If you cant see how that would bother the NHL, then I dont know what to tell you.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I believe all the NHL said was the fine was levied because of "the language used" or something like that. Very vague. Could have been because of the F-bombs, or could've been because of his message.

As a Ranger fan, Im not afraid to admit Im a little put-off that my head coach has accused the NHL of fixing games twice in the last three months.

Hes led the team to a great season though, so it doesnt bother me too much. If you cant see how that would bother the NHL, then I dont know what to tell you.
He didn't say anything about the refs after the Orpik accident. Boo hoo. Torts said that Cindy's a whiner. That's why he got fined. And he was correct in calling the Penguins an arrogant organization. After the Isles game last year, Lemieux writes a letter to the NHL on the Pens site calling out the league for not taking those cheap shots out of the game, yet he employs the biggest cheapshotter of them all in Matt Cooke.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie460 View Post
Yeah, what the ****? I've never seen them disable comments on an article before.
They're making sure that their cover is protected. Its sickening, really.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:23 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

I think Torts is a whiner, but the Bettman quotes are unprofessional as ****.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:35 PM
TKG
Registered Excuser

Sorry,if I'm late to the party (vacation) with this one but to me the answer is clear as to why Torts was given a 20k fine.

Mario had to get his perm done, and Cyndi needed to get his nails done to look good for the playoffs. Since Pitt is broke why not have Johnnie T. finance this extravagant splurge before they are on their network Nothing But Crosby.

TKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Bettman: Torts fined because he cursed 4 times...

I thought this was big news and it would just get lost in pretty old thread about the fine. If mods want to put it there I get it, but I think a lot of people would miss it. And this is more about Bettman then the fine.

So Cindy's uncle Gary went on Francesa (I guess hoping to get a soft interview since Francesa knows nothing about hockey) and I'm trying to find the audio but snyrangersblog has a recap and they report that, "Gary Bettman says that he fined John Tortorella because he cursed four times. He wasn’t fined because of the comments he made about the Pens." And, "Bettman says that Torts is a great guy and professional coach and that when he is in a media setting like that he shouldn’t curse."

http://www.snyrangersblog.com/2012/0...mike-francesa/

So with that as the reason this looks even more absurd. What, is four the magic number or something? Torts often curses in these things. And how about you talk to the man first before taking 20,000 dollars from him about something so stupid.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Ice Hockey

i don't remember him cursing 4 times. either way, lol

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:27 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
I'm sure the next time Torts blows up he'll hold up on the curses just to test Bettman's word on this one.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
**** **** **** **** Bettman.

Fine me.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:40 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Hockey View Post
Torts? Cursing? Why I've never...!

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Torts should just trash the pens mercilessly after every nationally televised game and without cursing.

We would see very quickly how long Bettman's "reasoning" held up.

Tortorella swears in postgame constantly.

This is getting really, really embarrassing for the league. You're seeing it with more and more teams starting to figure out whats going on here.

04-10-2012, 07:48 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

I'd be embarrassed to be a fan of an organization that did this:

http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/04088...#ixzz1rYUEuuKK

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:53 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
This is getting really, really embarrassing for the league. You're seeing it with more and more teams starting to figure out whats going on here.
It's extremely embarrassing. When you factor in the disabled comments on the article (since when does nhl.com do that?) it is painfully obvious.

One of the rare times I wish the NHL was actually featured on espn. PTI and Around The Horn would have a FIELD DAY with this.

04-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
I'd be embarrassed to be a fan of an organization that did this:

http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/04088...#ixzz1rYUEuuKK
AT least someone has finally admitted it.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:55 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Hockey View Post
Probably because he only cursed once. Here it is

"It’s a cheap, dirty hit. I wonder what would happen if we did it to their two whining stars over there. I wonder what would happen,” Tortorella said, referring to Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. “I’m anxious to see what happens with the league with this. (There’s) just no respect amongst players. None. It’s sickening.”

“It was gutless and dirty,” he said.

"It's one of the most arrogant organizations in the league," Tortorella said. "They whine about this stuff all the time and look what happens."

“It’s ridiculous,” Tortorella said. “But they’ll whine about something else over there, won’t they? Starting with their two (expletive) stars."

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote