HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

McDonagh?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-09-2012, 12:16 AM
  #26
t3hg00se
Registered User
 
t3hg00se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
It's almost unfathomable to think he's only played 122 games

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:43 AM
  #27
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,480
vCash: 500
He has Norris potential. He was DOMINANT in the first half of the season.

Next season is going to be very telling- if he can keep up that play all year and not hit a drop off like this year, IMO he has the potential to be a Norris winner.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 07:52 AM
  #28
NYRKindms
Registered User
 
NYRKindms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 571
vCash: 500
Totally random but I think he gives a good interview as well. When they get him between periods you can tell he is thinking the game and he gives pretty good insight to whats happening on the ice.

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:59 AM
  #29
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Right now, yes. But when Staal's fully healthy he's as good or better than McDonagh at the defensive end. A healthy Staal should help McDonagh next year because it'll mean a lighter workload for McDonagh and possibly a big step up offensively.
That's an excellent point; it should help both of their games going forward.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:04 PM
  #30
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,298
vCash: 500
He's been doing things offensively at the NHL level that I never saw him even try at Wisconsin. It's really amazing how his game has evolved in just two years. At this point, it's damn near impossible to put a label on what his ceiling is.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:54 PM
  #31
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 9,920
vCash: 500
how did mcdonagh finish a +25 and danny boy was only a +13??

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:09 PM
  #32
coladin
Registered User
 
coladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,774
vCash: 1413
Hmmm, I am going to pay attention to him. I didn't realize he was that good. I wonder how he compares to our up and comer, Jared Cowen who is a little more raw with it being his first season.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:13 PM
  #33
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by useref15 View Post
The only thing I wish he could add to his game is physicality. Hes a bit soft in that department. I know he's not going to push people out of the crease like Bickel or Sauer, but I'd love to see it.
This is not really true. What you don't get from him is after the whistle decking guys to get them off Hank. But, he moves guys out of the crease and out of shooting lanes all night. He's physical just not nasty; which is a double edge sword. Nasty is good but nasty gets you into the box and we need him on the ice for 26 minutes a night.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:20 PM
  #34
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
Hmmm, I am going to pay attention to him. I didn't realize he was that good. I wonder how he compares to our up and comer, Jared Cowen who is a little more raw with it being his first season.
I like Cowen. Big difference is McD is an elite skater. Both very good young players; McD is a little more refined and the skating is going to surprise you; special laterally, on the turn and big time speed going up the ice. Enjoy.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:49 PM
  #35
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,055
vCash: 500
Did everyone forget about what Dan Girardi did this year?

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 03:06 PM
  #36
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Did everyone forget about what Dan Girardi did this year?
I fail to see the connection. Are we not allowed to praise McDonagh for having an awesome year because we have Dan Girardi?

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 03:11 PM
  #37
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: Germany
Posts: 33,100
vCash: 500
He's better than Cowen

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 03:13 PM
  #38
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I fail to see the connection. Are we not allowed to praise McDonagh for having an awesome year because we have Dan Girardi?
No, the point was everyone is saying McD is our best Dman by far. So to that idea I say, what about Girardi. See the connection now?

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 03:19 PM
  #39
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
No, the point was everyone is saying McD is our best Dman by far. So to that idea I say, what about Girardi. See the connection now?
Yeah, I still don't see the connection. McDonagh's better than Girardi. Girardi's very solid, but he lacks McDonagh's offensive abilities and tends to attempt bad outlet passes up the middle.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 03:32 PM
  #40
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,204
vCash: 500
Frankly, I think Girardi has just been around longer and was the Rangers' best D-man very early in the season, and thus went to the All Star game. All of those factor contribute to people thinking he's our best D-man.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 03:52 PM
  #41
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Yeah, I still don't see the connection. McDonagh's better than Girardi. Girardi's very solid, but he lacks McDonagh's offensive abilities and tends to attempt bad outlet passes up the middle.
Wow, I'll try to explain it one more time. I'll go slowly. Well you see, some people are saying that McD is our best dman by far. Now, I think girardi has been pretty good this year. So you see, unless McD is the best dman in the whole wide world, he can't be the best on the team by far unless girardi is bad. Since I don't think girardi is bad, I don't think McD is the best dman by far.

The offensive production difference between the two has been very small. McD was 2 goals better and 1 assist better. Big whoop. I'm not arguing he's not the better offensive player. But I value the defensive side more and not to say McD has been bad back there, but girardi has been perhaps the best in the league in that regard.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 04:21 PM
  #42
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Wow, I'll try to explain it one more time. I'll go slowly. Well you see, some people are saying that McD is our best dman by far. Now, I think girardi has been pretty good this year. So you see, unless McD is the best dman in the whole wide world, he can't be the best on the team by far unless girardi is bad. Since I don't think girardi is bad, I don't think McD is the best dman by far.

The offensive production difference between the two has been very small. McD was 2 goals better and 1 assist better. Big whoop. I'm not arguing he's not the better offensive player. But I value the defensive side more and not to say McD has been bad back there, but girardi has been perhaps the best in the league in that regard.
McDonagh is better than Girardi in all three zones. He's our best defensemen by a noticeable amount. Whether that amount is "by far" or some lesser distance amounts to semantics. It's not hating on Girardi to point out that McDonagh could contend for the Norris in future seasons.

You're clearly of the persuasion that Girardi is better than McDonagh. But it's more than a little dishonest to write off the offensive difference in their games to point totals. If you watch them at all you can see that McDonagh does and is capable of doing things with the puck that Girardi couldn't even try. I'm also not sure how you can contend that McDonagh is weaker defensively given how dominant he's been. Girardi's also just more mistake prone than McDonagh. Girardi had 61 giveaways while McDonagh only had 53. McDonagh also hade 46 takeaways to Girardi's 37.

Again I would wager that everybody here praising McDonagh also loves Girardi. The fact that McDonagh is a stud doesn't take away from that.


Last edited by Zil: 04-09-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 04:48 PM
  #43
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
McDonagh is better than Girardi in all three zones. He's our best defensemen by a noticeable amount. Whether that amount is "by far" or some lesser distance amounts to semantics. It's not hating on Girardi to point out that McDonagh has could contend for the Norris in future seasons.

You're clearly of the persuasion that Girardi is better than McDonagh. But it's more than a little dishonest to write off the offensive difference in their games to point totals. If you watch them at all you can see that McDonagh does and is capable of doing things with the puck that Girardi couldn't even try. I'm also not sure how you can contend that McDonagh is weaker defensively given how dominant he's been. Girardi's also just more mistake prone than McDonagh. Girardi had 61 giveaways while McDonagh only had 53. McDonagh also hade 46 takeaways to Girardi's 37.

Again I would wager that everybody here praising McDonagh also loves Girardi. The fact that McDonagh is a stud doesn't take away from that.
I took more issue with the idea that you didn't get why I would mention Girardi than the actual debate between which one is better. They're both really good. I still maintain Girardi is better right now but I don't think it's absurd for someone to see it differently.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 04:52 PM
  #44
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
I took more issue with the idea that you didn't get why I would mention Girardi than the actual debate between which one is better. They're both really good. I still maintain Girardi is better right now but I don't think it's absurd for someone to see it differently.
I was confused because this is essentially a McDonagh mancrush thread and nobody had said one bad thing about Girardi.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:27 AM
  #45
McSauer
Defense Wins Games
 
McSauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 340
vCash: 500
I wouldn't hesitate to give McD a monster contract, one of those 8 year deals to lock him up!

McSauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:39 AM
  #46
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,298
vCash: 500
While I'd agree that McDonagh is better in the offensive zone, as well as when transitioning up-ice through the neutral zone, Girardi is a better player in his own end. That may change in the near-future, but to say that McDonagh was the better defensive player is ridiculous.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:46 AM
  #47
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
While I'd agree that McDonagh is better in the offensive zone, as well as when transitioning up-ice through the neutral zone, Girardi is a better player in his own end. That may change in the near-future, but to say that McDonagh was the better defensive player is ridiculous.
Agreed, Girardi generally is much better with the puck in his own end, McDonagh is still learning in that department and still does a lot of "throw it around the boards" instead of making a play

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:52 AM
  #48
Zuccarello Awesome*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
McDonagh is our best dman and he is 22 years old.
Yeah it's also crazy how little attention his point total is getting. Everyone raved about DZ's 37 points as a rookie.

McD has 32 points in his first full season, and he got about 1/10th the PP time that DZ got.

And his strength is defense.

Unbelievable. The sky is really the limit for McDonagh. I know I've said it before, but he shows flashes of Neidermeyer more and more. He's one of the players I'm most excited about getting to see the evolution of his game unfold before our eyes. So lucky to have gotten McD and Stepan from UW. They really teach their kids the right way, huh?

Thanks Bob Gainey.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:01 AM
  #49
mug25
Registered User
 
mug25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 321
vCash: 500
McDonagh + Girardi are both underrated. At least G is getting some credit this season.

Girardi is still the Rangers best defenseman. McDonagh may provide more offensive output but he doesn't quite have the calmness with the puck that G has in his own zone. I feel as though I can count on one hand how many times Girardi has coughed up the puck in his own zone that lead to a goal.

To be honest, I think it's Staal that is overrated.

mug25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:04 AM
  #50
McDunna with Fries
Registered User
 
McDunna with Fries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mug25 View Post
McDonagh + Girardi are both underrated. At least G is getting some credit this season.

To be honest, I think it's Staal that is overrated.
re: Staal - not at all overrated. I just don't think he's been the same after the concussion.

McDunna with Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.