HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McDonagh?

Old
04-10-2012, 10:22 AM
mug25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDunna with Fries View Post
re: Staal - not at all overrated. I just don't think he's been the same after the concussion.

We shall agree to disagree on this one.

mug25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:22 AM
BroadwayHustle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mug25 View Post
McDonagh + Girardi are both underrated. At least G is getting some credit this season.

Girardi is still the Rangers best defenseman. McDonagh may provide more offensive output but he doesn't quite have the calmness with the puck that G has in his own zone. I feel as though I can count on one hand how many times Girardi has coughed up the puck in his own zone that lead to a goal.

To be honest, I think it's Staal that is overrated.
Staal is easily our most physical defenseman when he is right. He seems to have lapses though with the puck at times and I feel like hes always in terrible position to block shots, but if anything we need another physical crease-clearing defenseman.

BroadwayHustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Toastman

Can we have him back. Please? We'll give you Rene Bourque.

Toastman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayHustle View Post
Staal is easily our most physical defenseman when he is right. He seems to have lapses though with the puck at times and I feel like hes always in terrible position to block shots, but if anything we need another physical crease-clearing defenseman.
No, we don't. Take a look at our dmen right now. They're not a soft group. Compare it to other teams. This isn't 1992, it's 2012.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:27 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

He is primed to be a bona-fide stud in the league

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
No, we don't. Take a look at our dmen right now. They're not a soft group. Compare it to other teams. This isn't 1992, it's 2012.
I agree. In fact, I can't recall any majoring moments (if any!) this season where I was yelling at our d-men to get the opponents out of our crease.

If Sauer is back next season (knock on wood) and Bickle signs, those two will damn well make sure no one messes with Hank.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Girardi is more consistent, he has far fewer bad games than McD. but, imho, McD is the better defenseman. When he has a big game, you notice him. When Girardi has a big game, you dont notice him.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Girardi is more consistent, he has far fewer bad games than McD. but, imho, McD is the better defenseman. When he has a big game, you notice him. When Girardi has a big game, you dont notice him.
Well, potential to be better I think...Girardi has many years on McDonagh and has just settled down into being the consistent, steady defenseman that he is. It took him years to get to that point.

McDonagh isn't as consistent yet, he's still figuring out what he can do at the NHL level, but he's shown a higher upside in almost every area of the ice

He's not quite there to being better all around than Girardi, and I'm sure he's benefiting a great deal from playing with such a steady and solid defenseman, but he has tons of time to continue getting better. It's pretty exciting

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Well, potential to be better I think...Girardi has many years on McDonagh and has just settled down into being the consistent, steady defenseman that he is. It took him years to get to that point.

McDonagh isn't as consistent yet, he's still figuring out what he can do at the NHL level, but he's shown a higher upside in almost every area of the ice

He's not quite there to being better all around than Girardi, and I'm sure he's benefiting a great deal from playing with such a steady and solid defenseman, but he has tons of time to continue getting better. It's pretty exciting
well, i guess you could say that, on a nightly basis, McDonagh has the potential to be better, but, generally, Girardi is.

Basically, when McD plays a great game, its better than when Girardi plays a great game, but Girardi plays more great games than McD does..

consistency comes with experience.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Zil

Quote:
Agreed, Girardi generally is much better with the puck in his own end, McDonagh is still learning in that department and still does a lot of "throw it around the boards" instead of making a play
I disagree with this. Girardi tends to fall in love with making outlet passes up the middle at times and it has come back to bite us on quite a few occasions.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 02:58 PM
MESSY11

His game reminds so much of R. Borque... I am not putting him in the HOF but if his mental game can catch up to his physical ability once he starts to understand that he can be a force on the blue line the sky is the limit for him

MESSY11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I disagree with this. Girardi tends to fall in love with making outlet passes up the middle at times and it has come back to bite us on quite a few occasions.
And McDonagh tends to turn the puck over by just trying to slam it around the boards instead of taking the time to make a play. Does this much more often than Girardi turns the puck over trying to make a play

Old
04-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Zil

Quote:
And McDonagh tends to turn the puck over by just trying to slam it around the boards instead of taking the time to make a play. Does this much more often than Girardi turns the puck over trying to make a play
Does that count as a turnover in the stats? If it does, then Girardi should've finished with less turnovers than McDonagh.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Does that count as a turnover in the stats? If it does, then Girardi should've finished with less turnovers than McDonagh.
Probably doesn't.

I criticize McDonagh for this because I think he has the skill to make better plays with the puck in his own end, but he hasn't worked that part of his game out.

Slamming the puck around the boards isn't terribly ideal because it usually just results in the other team holding the puck in and getting even more possession time in the offensive zone.

For 90% of the season Girardi has been excellent at making plays with the puck in his own end. He's made a few screwups lately but I don't think that means he has a bad habit of doing it