HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQF: Rangers (1) vs Senators (8)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-09-2012, 10:21 PM
  #426
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
Just edited my post, they finally fixed it.

It said "Panthers-Rangers" before
Wow, just wow.

Clowes Line is offline  
Old
04-09-2012, 10:41 PM
  #427
HavlatMach9
Registered User
 
HavlatMach9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,230
vCash: 500
The Sens are a tough team and have two very high end players. The Rangers are consistent while Ottawa can be very inconsistent. Our defense is facepalm worthy at times so NYR will have plenty of chances to capitalize on them if they want to win. Karlsson I think will get Gaborik and that'll be a good matchup.

How do you guys feel about Brad Richards going into the playoffs? Is he expected to be clutch through the playoffs?

HavlatMach9 is online now  
Old
04-09-2012, 10:42 PM
  #428
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
The Sens are a tough team and have two very high end players. The Rangers are consistent while Ottawa can be very inconsistent. Our defense is facepalm worthy at times so NYR will have plenty of chances to capitalize on them if they want to win.

How do you guys feel about Brad Richards going into the playoffs? Is he expected to be clutch through the playoffs?
He was excellent in March... I think Malkin, Richards and Gaborik were top 3 in scoring in March.

He's going to be clutch, in my opinion.

Jabroni is offline  
Old
04-09-2012, 10:47 PM
  #429
Lerb
Registered User
 
Lerb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,413
vCash: 500
I was coming up with a thought but half way through I wasn't so sure any more so here's a mini-poll: Who has more pressure to perform from the rangers fan base's perspective, Henrik or Richie?

Lerb is offline  
Old
04-09-2012, 10:49 PM
  #430
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCrestno View Post
I was coming up with a thought but half way through I wasn't so sure any more so here's a mini-poll: Who has more pressure to perform from the rangers fan base's perspective, Henrik or Richie?
At this point?

Hank.

Blueshirt Believer is offline  
Old
04-09-2012, 10:58 PM
  #431
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCrestno View Post
I was coming up with a thought but half way through I wasn't so sure any more so here's a mini-poll: Who has more pressure to perform from the rangers fan base's perspective, Henrik or Richie?
Henrik. He's the backbone of this team. If he doesn't play to his standards, we're gone. Richards didn't show up for large stretches throughout the season, yet we still ended up being the first place team in the league.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
04-09-2012, 11:06 PM
  #432
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Henrik. He's the backbone of this team. If he doesn't play to his standards, we're gone. Richards didn't show up for large stretches throughout the season, yet we still ended up being the first place team in the league.
Yep, plus Richards has been a conn smythe winner. He has proven himself in the playoffs.

Hank still needs to demonstrate a playoff pedigree.

Blueshirt Believer is offline  
Old
04-09-2012, 11:08 PM
  #433
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
The Sens are a tough team and have two very high end players. The Rangers are consistent while Ottawa can be very inconsistent. Our defense is facepalm worthy at times so NYR will have plenty of chances to capitalize on them if they want to win. Karlsson I think will get Gaborik and that'll be a good matchup.

How do you guys feel about Brad Richards going into the playoffs? Is he expected to be clutch through the playoffs?
Is Karlsson your best defensive blueliner as well?

Florida Ranger is offline  
Old
04-09-2012, 11:14 PM
  #434
Zuccarello Awesome*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Yep, plus Richards has been a conn smythe winner. He has proven himself in the playoffs.

Hank still needs to demonstrate a playoff pedigree.
He demonstrated it the last two series against Washington while the rest of the team was sleeping.

If he gets some semblance of average support, he's going to carry us to at least the ECF. You think Henrik's been great this year? You ain't seen nothin yet. He's a gamer. His focus is unparalleled. He's going to redefine clutch. After this playoff year, the Conn Smythe is going to be called the Henke.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline  
Old
04-10-2012, 12:15 AM
  #435
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
He demonstrated it the last two series against Washington while the rest of the team was sleeping.

If he gets some semblance of average support, he's going to carry us to at least the ECF. You think Henrik's been great this year? You ain't seen nothin yet. He's a gamer. His focus is unparalleled. He's going to redefine clutch. After this playoff year, the Conn Smythe is going to be called the Henke.
He demonstrated it for one series against Washington or at least most of the series until it went deep and then he started to fall apart.

The other series he didn't make much of a difference.

He got out goaltended by Miller in the Buffalo series. Pitt so outclassed us it didn't make much of a difference who was between the pipes.

I don't count his first playoff series against the Devils.

He has two victories against Atlanta and New Jersey. Both teams we pretty much outclassed as a whole, and he didn't really have to steal any games.

I am not a Hank detractor. But he has no significant playoff pendigree. He has proven he is a gamer in the regular season, but he is still a question mark for the playoffs. I hope he proves me wrong.

Some Ranger fans, I feel, have given him a Patrick Roy level of reverence. Hank has never carried a team in any way like Roy did. He hasn't earned that yet in the playoffs.

Btw, that post has A TON of wishful thinking in it. Your already booking Hank for Conn Smyth when he hasn't even played a game yet this post season? What if his forearm is still a mess and he can't make any saves stick side?


Last edited by Blueshirt Believer: 04-10-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Blueshirt Believer is offline  
Old
04-10-2012, 12:49 AM
  #436
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow
 
Net Front Presence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 6,171
vCash: 50
I totally didn't realize that Del Zotto hasn't played in the playoffs yet.

Net Front Presence is online now  
Old
04-10-2012, 12:51 AM
  #437
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1SHOP View Post
I totally didn't realize that Del Zotto hasn't played in the playoffs yet.
Yep, I'm a bit concerned about his neutral zone passes up ice. To be fair, Girardi has been more to blame for those blunders as of late than Del Z.

I think he will probably be fine.

Blueshirt Believer is offline  
Old
04-10-2012, 02:42 AM
  #438
truebluegoalie
Registered User
 
truebluegoalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
He demonstrated it for one series against Washington or at least most of the series until it went deep and then he started to fall apart.

The other series he didn't make much of a difference.

He got out goaltended by Miller in the Buffalo series. Pitt so outclassed us it didn't make much of a difference who was between the pipes.

I don't count his first playoff series against the Devils.

He has two victories against Atlanta and New Jersey. Both teams we pretty much outclassed as a whole, and he didn't really have to steal any games.

I am not a Hank detractor. But he has no significant playoff pendigree. He has proven he is a gamer in the regular season, but he is still a question mark for the playoffs. I hope he proves me wrong.

Some Ranger fans, I feel, have given him a Patrick Roy level of reverence. Hank has never carried a team in any way like Roy did. He hasn't earned that yet in the playoffs.

Btw, that post has A TON of wishful thinking in it. Your already booking Hank for Conn Smyth when he hasn't even played a game yet this post season? What if his forearm is still a mess and he can't make any saves stick side?

yep. hasn't proven anything about playing with playoff type stress. (and yes I realize the olympics aren't the playoffs, but it shouldn't be discounted either)


The only reason those Washington series even went deep was because of him, so to then fault him for "falling apart" once they went deep is ridiculous. If he had some support they wouldn't have gone deep and he wouldn't have "fallen apart." He finally has support this year, has had a career year, is well rested, played well in the playoffs before, and has a gold olympic medal to boot.
I do agree with you about his arm possibly being a problem, but if he is healthy, and focused, he is the least of our problems. I would be more concerned about a potential lack of scoring and defensive mental lapses.

Thomas, Luongo
Theodore, Elliot/Halak
Flower, Smith
Bryz, Rinne
Brodeur, Howard
Holtby, Crawford/Emery
Anderson, Niemi
Quick

I'll take Lundqvist over any of them.


Last edited by truebluegoalie: 04-10-2012 at 02:50 AM.
truebluegoalie is offline  
Old
04-10-2012, 03:08 AM
  #439
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
yep. hasn't proven anything about playing with playoff type stress. (and yes I realize the olympics aren't the playoffs, but it shouldn't be discounted either)


The only reason those Washington series even went deep was because of him, so to then fault him for "falling apart" once they went deep is ridiculous. If he had some support they wouldn't have gone deep and he wouldn't have "fallen apart." He finally has support this year, has had a career year, is well rested, played well in the playoffs before, and has a gold olympic medal to boot.
I do agree with you about his arm possibly being a problem, but if he is healthy, and focused, he is the least of our problems. I would be more concerned about a potential lack of scoring and defensive mental lapses.

Thomas, Luongo
Theodore, Elliot/Halak
Flower, Smith
Bryz, Rinne
Brodeur, Howard
Holtby, Crawford/Emery
Anderson, Niemi
Quick

I'll take Lundqvist over any of them.
I didn't fault him for the loss against Washington the first time. I am merely stating he couldn't carry us to the end.

Also, this needs to be said Hank didn't carry that Sweden team either. He played very well but that Swedish Olympic team was very good with or without Hank.

I certainly won't argue the fact on whether or not Hank is capable of backstopping a stanley cup team. He most certainly can imo. My Argument is that I am not sure he can CARRY a team and will them to a championship.

Hank has NEVER demonstrated a Patrick Roy, Guiere, Ward, or Hasek like ability to take a mediocre team deep into the playoffs. Doesn't mean he doesn't have it in him, but he hasn't shown it.

I am not slighting Hank in the least. Even Martin Brodeur never had to single handedly carry a team to a stanley cup victory.

Blueshirt Believer is offline  
Old
04-10-2012, 03:19 AM
  #440
truebluegoalie
Registered User
 
truebluegoalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
I didn't fault him for the loss against Washington the first time. I am merely stating he couldn't carry us to the end.

Also, this needs to be said Hank didn't carry that Sweden team either. He played very well but that Swedish Olympic team was very good with or without Hank.

I certainly won't argue the fact on whether or not Hank is capable of backstopping a stanley cup team. He most certainly can imo. My Argument is that I am not sure he can CARRY a team and will them to a championship.

Hank has NEVER demonstrated a Patrick Roy, Guiere, Ward, or Hasek like ability to take a mediocre team deep into the playoffs. Doesn't mean he doesn't have it in him, but he hasn't shown it.

I am not slighting Hank in the least. Even Martin Brodeur never had to single handedly carry a team to a stanley cup victory.
I guess it just comes down to how much someone thinks a goalie can do. I think Lundqvist did about as much as he could in those series and simply had no help. Those other goalies you mention got key goals from their teamates to help them get as far as they did.
Lundqvist never seemed to get that support. An OT goal here or there (Buffalo and Washington specifically) and we aren't even having this conversation. That being said, as I already mentioned, I am comfortable with Lundqvist and as long as his arm is ok, he isn't one of my concerns.

truebluegoalie is offline  
Old
04-10-2012, 03:25 AM
  #441
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
I guess it just comes down to how much someone thinks a goalie can do. I think Lundqvist did about as much as he could in those series and simply had no help. Those other goalies you mention got key goals from their teamates to help them get as far as they did.
Lundqvist never seemed to get that support. An OT goal here or there (Buffalo and Washington specifically) and we aren't even having this conversation. That being said, as I already mentioned, I am comfortable with Lundqvist and as long as his arm is ok, he isn't one of my concerns.

Thats fine. But Hasek got pretty much no support on his run in 99. Roy backstopped two pretty marginal Canadians teams at the hight of the offensive era.

With that said, I do not expect that out of Hank. Those are superhuman performances. My issue is that he has crafted that reputation among certain fans when he hasn't done it himself.


Last edited by Blueshirt Believer: 04-10-2012 at 03:30 AM.
Blueshirt Believer is offline  
Old
04-10-2012, 03:39 AM
  #442
EssendonBombers
classless
 
EssendonBombers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Straya
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Is Karlsson your best defensive blueliner as well?
He can struggle when he's hugely outmatched physically but he's very good at striping the puck from speedy wingers, ie. Gaborik.

EssendonBombers is offline  
Old
04-10-2012, 07:42 AM
  #443
Flamingo
Registered User
 
Flamingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EssendonBombers View Post
He can struggle when he's hugely outmatched physically but he's very good at striping the puck from speedy wingers, ie. Gaborik.
He was assigned Ovechkin, and matched him pretty well each time, except for once where his poke check was lifted by another Captials player and Ovie walked him.

I think most of the complaints about his defensive game are born of ignorance, or are about his size. He isn't good at clearing the front of the net.

Flamingo is offline  
Old
04-10-2012, 08:25 AM
  #444
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 13,540
vCash: 500
Enough of this about the Rangers not matching up well against the Senators because of regular season play. Context is way more important in those games than people are allowing. Loss early in the year was right when we were finding our game. That game was an important one because it showed the Rangers what they needed to do in order to have success. They lost, but the game still built confidence for the next, which was the beginning of a 7 game winning streak. The second game they won in the middle of that 7 game winning streak. The third game they lost to break a 5 game winning streak. To me, after winning 4 in a row, I consider every game won to be a bonus. The parity in the league puts the law of averages on the side of your opponent every game. After 5 in a row, the Rangers were bound to have a down game. It just happened to be against Ottawa. The final game was in the midst of our worst stretch of the season. The offense was cold. The defense was cold. These stretches happen.

On the other hand, the first game for Ottawa was in the middle of a 6 game winning streak for them. The second game in the middle of a 5 game losing streak for them. The third game in the middle of a 4 game winning streak for them. The fourth game was in a bad stretch for them, but they were coming off a high of scoring 7 goals 2 nights earlier and were full of confidence.

My point is that you can't take the teams record against each other out of context and then apply them with meaning to a playoff series where you play them every game. It's just not logical.


Last edited by Tawnos: 04-10-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Tawnos is offline  
Old
04-10-2012, 09:05 AM
  #445
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Enough of this about the Rangers not matching up well against the Senators because of regular season play. Context is way more important in those games than people are allowing.

My point is that you can't take the teams record against each other out of context and then apply them with meaning to a playoff series where you play them every game. It's just not logical.
TOTALLY agree. Not saying the games themselves should be easy, but this should be a four to five game series at most. There is a reason Ottawa finished in eighth place....they're not very good compared to the other playoff teams.

The main thing is that Lundqvist CAN NOT get outplayed by Anderson. Lundqvist is arguably the best. If he plays that way the series will be short and sweet.

Jersey Girl is offline  
Old
04-10-2012, 09:13 AM
  #446
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Enough of this about the Rangers not matching up well against the Senators because of regular season play. Context is way more important in those games than people are allowing. Loss early in the year was right when we were finding our game. That game was an important one because it showed the Rangers what they needed to do in order to have success. They lost, but the game still built confidence for the next, which was the beginning of a 7 game winning streak. The second game they won in the middle of that 7 game winning streak. The third game they lost to break a 5 game winning streak. To me, after winning 4 in a row, I consider every game won to be a bonus. The parity in the league puts the law of averages on the side of your opponent every game. After 5 in a row, the Rangers were bound to have a down game. It just happened to be against Ottawa. The final game was in the midst of our worst stretch of the season. The offense was cold. The defense was cold. These stretches happen.

On the other hand, the first game for Ottawa was in the middle of a 6 game winning streak for them. The second game in the middle of a 5 game losing streak for them. The third game in the middle of a 4 game winning streak for them. The fourth game was in a bad stretch for them, but they were coming off a high of scoring 7 goals 2 nights earlier and were full of confidence.

My point is that you can't take the teams record against each other out of context and then apply them with meaning to a playoff series where you play them every game. It's just not logical.
Exactly why we shouldn't take philly lightly after they beat pissburgh

__________________
WIN NOW
Blueshirt Special is offline  
Old
04-10-2012, 09:31 AM
  #447
Tuna99
Registered User
 
Tuna99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
TOTALLY agree. Not saying the games themselves should be easy, but this should be a four to five game series at most. There is a reason Ottawa finished in eighth place....they're not very good compared to the other playoff teams.

The main thing is that Lundqvist CAN NOT get outplayed by Anderson. Lundqvist is arguably the best. If he plays that way the series will be short and sweet.
Sens fan here. I can guarantee this will not be a sweep. The Sens are as tough and as well coached as the NYR - we will be there every step of the way with you guys.

The weakness the Sens will try and exploit is your top 4 D will be playing almost the entire series, you have a marginally better top 4, but our top 6 overall is better and in a long series our plan is to wear your top 4 down, especially Del Zotto who is a young player and your puck mover and when the physical battles begins to take it's toll to take advantage of the mistakes your D will begin to make as the series pressure increases and your top D wear down.

The NYR plan is to attack Karlsson and Gonchar and wear our D down as well, but overall I think our D has more depth and is a bit more dynamic.

Tuna99 is offline  
Old
04-10-2012, 09:39 AM
  #448
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 24,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
Sens fan here. I can guarantee this will not be a sweep. The Sens are as tough and as well coached as the NYR - we will be there every step of the way with you guys.

The weakness the Sens will try and exploit is your top 4 D will be playing almost the entire series, you have a marginally better top 4, but our top 6 overall is better and in a long series our plan is to wear your top 4 down, especially Del Zotto who is a young player and your puck mover and when the physical battles begins to take it's toll to take advantage of the mistakes your D will begin to make as the series pressure increases and your top D wear down.

The NYR plan is to attack Karlsson and Gonchar and wear our D down as well, but overall I think our D has more depth and is a bit more dynamic.
Yeah....no. DZ finished the season with 156 hits. Karlsson had 60. For reference, Gaborik had 63. Sens fans keep on bringing up the weight factor of your D as if they know how to use their weight. If they did, they wouldn't have allowed the most goals out of any playoff team, now would they?

Rangers Fail is offline  
Old
04-10-2012, 09:47 AM
  #449
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
Sens fan here. I can guarantee this will not be a sweep. The Sens are as tough and as well coached as the NYR - we will be there every step of the way with you guys.

The weakness the Sens will try and exploit is your top 4 D will be playing almost the entire series, you have a marginally better top 4, but our top 6 overall is better and in a long series our plan is to wear your top 4 down, especially Del Zotto who is a young player and your puck mover and when the physical battles begins to take it's toll to take advantage of the mistakes your D will begin to make as the series pressure increases and your top D wear down.

The NYR plan is to attack Karlsson and Gonchar and wear our D down as well, but overall I think our D has more depth and is a bit more dynamic.
No you're not. You're not even close. You're the lowly 8 seed. We're the conference champs.

As well coached? We have a cup winning, jack adams award winning coach. You have a guy with a mustache.

As tough? We led the league in fighting majors. 12 more than you guys.

Don't talk about your teams strategy against us, because it's obvious you're not familiar with our team. You want to try exploit our top 4? Not happening. We have one of the best group of defensive dmen in the league. Girardi, McD, and Staal are all elite defensively. MDZ stepped it up big time in the back end this year.

Rangers in 4.

Kel Varnsen is offline  
Old
04-10-2012, 09:51 AM
  #450
Tuna99
Registered User
 
Tuna99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Yeah....no. DZ finished the season with 156 hits. Karlsson had 60. For reference, Gaborik had 63. Sens fans keep on bringing up the weight factor of your D as if they know how to use their weight. If they did, they wouldn't have allowed the most goals out of any playoff team, now would they?
Of course Karlsson will be and should be a target, he gets frustrated and takes penalties especially against players like Callahan and Dubinsky.

I don't think Ottawa has any real advantages over the NYR, but if there is one area the Sens can exploit as the series goes long is how much the top 4 D of the Rangers play - and hope they begin to wear out.

I actually think the teams are evenly matched, Lunqvist being the player that tilts the advantage to the NYR - but if the Rangers fall behind in the series and Torts starts to play Del Zotto, Staal and Girardi 30 minutes a game they will begin to wear down (espeically if there are long overtime games)

Tuna99 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.