HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Fairy Tale Ending for Staubitz

Old
04-10-2012, 09:10 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

vCash: 500
While Staubitz isn't the best fighter around, he can fight every heavyweight and not look stupid while winning agaisnt middleweight. Plus, he is far from being a liability on the ice. He keeps it simple and with a coach that knows how to match lines (ie not Cunneyworth) he can be very useful as he hits, fights and is a good forechecker.

bcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
There has to be a fighter out there that can also play some kind of hockey. For example, we could try to land a fighter that is able to make or receive a pass. If we can't find that player, then Staubitz can resign here I guess.
Yeah, that's the ultimate dream, a fighter that can also play. I guess I'd go into the summer trying to make sure I had 13 or 14 forwards who can play. And then if Staubitz was willing to sign as #14-15 for $550k too, fine. *Hopefully* my other forwards would go into camp and just be so damn good and healthy I couldn't help but waive Staubitz in October. But failing that, it certainly couldn't hurt much if we had to keep Staubitz around instead. I think some of his popularity will wear off a bit over the grind of a more meaningful season, but whatever.

It's like with Darche or Bureau or whoever might be the flavour of the day or the goat of the next, albeit totally different role, but nevertheless, none of them really matter if the rest of the team is good enough. And if the rest of the team is bad enough (like the tail end of this season), at least Staubitz adds some entertainment value and sets an example for the rest of the team to keep plugging away.

It feels to me like some people here are overrating his playing ability and maybe even his fighting ability, but it's not really a big deal to me either way. If the team makes the other moves I feel they should be trying to make to improve over the summer, than it's pretty much meaningless to me whether Staubitz is ultimately on the team or not.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:09 AM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
I personally love Stubbs. He's intelligent, funny and knows what he's doing out there. I have a feeling that you don't like him because his beliefs might go against yours too often. It happens. It doesn't make him wrong or bad for that reason though.

I've been disappointed by Hickey in the last couple of years especially. Not because of him particularly, but by the topics he chooses and the delivery.
Stubbs knows what he's doing - keeping his job nice and safe and getting buddy-buddy with the players. He's a terrible sports journalist because he doesn't have a shred of integrity left. He spends the better part of a year hitting at the GM, no directly or openly mind you, but by weasel-words and subtle jabs. Boone, that idiot, writes things like "well any passerby on Rue Des Canadiens would know better than the disgraced former GM - it's just a matter of being able to right those many wrongs" and Stubbs prefers to ask if a player is disappointed with how the season played out.

What insight does he offer - ever?

At least Mike Boone is kinda funny and attempts to fake some sort of hockey know-how. Stubbs just likes the "human" aspect of every column and how they feel and shoving asinine trivia in every bit he can "On this day in 1924 Newsy Lalonde and Auriel Joliat shared a Wilensky's sandwich on rye on St-Urbain street"

Why can't you write about the backroom, the player's play, the practices, the things that everyday people don't have the privilege of seeing and hearing. That's what a beat reporter is there for. Not to write some fluff piece about Staubitz when the GENERAL MANAGER OF THE MOST IMPORTANT TEAM IN HOCKEY HISTORY WAS FIRED AFTER A TERRIBLE SEASON. A GM, no matter how disgraced, should merit some sort of post-mortem, no?

If there's anything I actually liked about Gauthier it was the manner in which he treated the pigs in the media. Dave Stubbs and Francois Gagnon are first on my no-media-contact list when I'm VP-Communications of the Canadiens. Rats.

Last edited by WhiskeySeven: 04-10-2012 at 10:18 AM.
WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Bullsmith

Hard to believe a guy we picked up on re-entry waivers could have such a positive impact on the team. I hope he's back next year. Along with being genuinely tough and game, I thought he worked hard to be a responsible player (within his abilities) on his shifts. He didn't take stupid penalties and seemed to be able to play up to 10 minutes a game without getting exposed too badly. I would like to see someone bigger than him who can look after themselves on the roster too- not a 4th line fighter but rather a scary D.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
There has to be a fighter out there that can also play some kind of hockey. For example, we could try to land a fighter that is able to make or receive a pass. If we can't find that player, then Staubitz can resign here I guess.
Rupp and Eager were both free agents last summer, we definitely missed our chance..

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Rupp and Eager were both free agents last summer, we definitely missed our chance..
This. Gauther FTW!

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:31 AM
SmurfsFTW
DD for Masterton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Hard to believe a guy we picked up on re-entry waivers could have such a positive impact on the team. I hope he's back next year. Along with being genuinely tough and game, I thought he worked hard to be a responsible player (within his abilities) on his shifts. He didn't take stupid penalties and seemed to be able to play up to 10 minutes a game without getting exposed too badly. I would like to see someone bigger than him who can look after themselves on the roster too- not a 4th line fighter but rather a scary D.
I think his problem with his prior teams is that he was taking unecessary penalties and was a liability just because he was in the penalty box way too often. With the Habs I haven't seen any stupid penalties other than in his first game. I think on his first shift he took a stupid penalty, then I /facepalmed and he played decently well since for a tough guy.

SmurfsFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:49 AM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
This. Gauther FTW!
Oh come on, you monkeys. Jacques Martin was the coach this point last year, he didn't use goons, end of story.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:08 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
IMO he's everything Darche is and more. He's a fast skater for a tough guy, he skates hard, works hard, he hits and boy can he fight. He deserves the 600k or 700k we're gonna be giving to a bottom-line guy. Not to mention the chemistry he and White have!
While I like the guy he is not darche, two different players and I doubt he ever picks up more then 10 points in a season. For the right price, he would be great to keep around.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 06:14 PM
MathMan

Quote:
The fact that they're better than Staubitz doesn't mean that they can play hockey. Staubitz is a strong contender for "worst player in the NHL".

In general, fighters who can play hockey are rare, because players who can play hockey are more valuable playing hockey than fighting. There are very few exceptions, and generally, these exceptions are players who'd be better-served not going to the penalty box for five minutes on a regular basis. Which I guess doesn't make them exceptions, seeing as they are also more valuable playing hockey than fighting...

In a way, there's no such thing as "fighters who play hockey"; there are "hockey players who fight".

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 06:38 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
The fact that they're better than Staubitz doesn't mean that they can play hockey. Staubitz is a strong contender for "worst player in the NHL".

In general, fighters who can play hockey are rare, because players who can play hockey are more valuable playing hockey than fighting. There are very few exceptions, and generally, these exceptions are players who'd be better-served not going to the penalty box for five minutes on a regular basis. Which I guess doesn't make them exceptions, seeing as they are also more valuable playing hockey than fighting...

In a way, there's no such thing as "fighters who play hockey"; there are "hockey players who fight".
Still dont get it and probably never will..................

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:00 PM
bipolarhabfan

Sign him. He brought some much needed toughness on the fourth line and can actually play 6 to 8 minutes a night. Most importantly, he has the right attitude for the role.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Saopolo123

White - Dumont - Staubitz would be a great agressive 4th line for this team

Saopolo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:13 PM
McSorleyStick
CYBORK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
He plays his role well, him and and White on the 4th line are beauties.
This.

But can we fight?

Yes

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:26 AM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
IMO he's everything Darche is and more. He's a fast skater for a tough guy, he skates hard, works hard, he hits and boy can he fight. He deserves the 600k or 700k we're gonna be giving to a bottom-line guy. Not to mention the chemistry he and White have!
I totally agree, Darche puts up goon type stats but can't really hit or fight, I don't get it.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote