HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Anyone else feel like there will be all-talk and no action?

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2006, 12:24 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
Anyone else feel like there will be all-talk and no action?

Does anyone else feel like this year's trade deadline will be all-talk and no-action?

I was afraid that the trade deadline would be this way with a salary cap. This was the main reason for why I didn't want a salary cap since the trade deadline has always been a big bright point in a long (and sometimes monotonous/tedious/boring) NHL regular season.

As of right now, it looks like there will be no moves made, because it is only 6 days until the trade deadline and so far nothing has happening. In year's past, there have been at least some moves in the weeks leading up the trade deadlines. This year though there has been nothing.

Does anyone else feel that the trade deadline will come and go without anything interesting happening?

Old
03-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
problem is there are too many teams still in the play off hunt, they should have moved the deadline to March 22nd or something.

Old
03-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Hockey_Nut99

vCash:
Too many teams in the playoff hunt still. It's a lot tougher to make decision when the deadline is moved up 2 weeks. I think it's better though. The likelyhood of trades gets higher as everyday passes and teams realize their fate.

Old
03-03-2006, 12:34 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

40 days instead of 26 days

Old
03-03-2006, 12:35 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frea_K
problem is there are too many teams still in the play off hunt, they should have moved the deadline to March 22nd or something.
Mathematically there are still many teams in the playoff hunt. However, is it really realistic for some teams to think that they still have a chance?

I mean, teams like Florida, New York Islanders, Phoenix, and Minnesota aren't going to make the playoffs. They all have too many teams to pass in the standings, and too many points to make up in too little time.

These teams aren't the type of teams who can/will play at a 0.700 clip the rest of the way. They haven't demonstrated that ability in the past, and I doubt that they will all of the sudden start playing like an elite team now.

I remember the Buffalo Sabres in 2004 not wanting to dump guys like Satan, Zhitnik, and etc., at the trade deadline, because they were like 6-7 points away from a playoff spot. Any fool had to know, however, that they weren't going to make up those points. Thus, they stupidly held onto their guys, and then lost them for nothing at the end of the season, because they weren't being realistic.

So yes, while there a lot of teams still mathematically in the playoff hunt, let us be realistic here. They probably aren't going to make the playoffs, and thus they should dump their players.

Anyways, I agree with the fact that the trade deadline should have been moved closer to the end of the regular season.

The closer the trade deadline is to the NHL playoffs, the better!

Old
03-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I remember the Buffalo Sabres in 2004 not wanting to dump guys like Satan, Zhitnik, and etc., at the trade deadline, because they were like 6-7 points away from a playoff spot. Any fool had to know, however, that they weren't going to make up those points. Thus, they stupidly held onto their guys, and then lost them for nothing at the end of the season, because they weren't being realistic.
Tell the ticket buying public that -- that their hometown team is packing it in yet again and watch the final quarter season attendance figures drop into the toilet. As it was, they were right there at the end, getting eliminated on the final weekend of the season and the fans were gratified. Ultimately, they pay the freight.

As it was, they did make Zhitnik a decent offer and he got a $600K better deal in NY. Satan, well, they could have simply qualified him this summer and then dealt him. And at the same time it was looked on as a cathartic move to no longer have him in the 'room.

03-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Famous Flames

Players will move before the deadline. You can count on it. IMO, the Olympic break had more to do with this dead period than anything.

Old
03-03-2006, 01:50 PM
marmarsab
Formerly #13 & Schen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famous Flames
Players will move before the deadline. You can count on it. IMO, the Olympic break had more to do with this dead period than anything.
I agree

Old
03-03-2006, 01:53 PM
FlyersFanJS

i don't think we're going to see a ton of trades and a few HUGE trades like we've seen in the past...there will be a few, but i tend to think that there will be a bunch of minor/depth moves with maybe one or two large ones

Old
03-03-2006, 02:02 PM
macho232

This will be one of the most active deadlines.

Old
03-03-2006, 02:11 PM
jcrow

I think there will be several moves - I just think that because the deadline is so much earlier this year teams will wait as long as possible to pull off there deals.

Teams like Florida, Phoenix, NYI will start the sales pretty soon. I think they recognize they are now on the outside looking in and a lot of teams will have a very clear picture as to their playoff hopes by the end of this weekend.

Old
03-03-2006, 05:37 PM
power_x_play

Totally.

Closed Thread