HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Newark / Cory Booker Reducing Police Presence Around Arena

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Why must we play in such a ****hole. I cant even imagine a parade in Newark without someone dying
From Newark Penn to along Mulberry Street in either direction it's more than fine, in fact I think it's a fun area with the bars and places to hang out on game nights.

Booker is acting like a 3-yr old on a temper tantrum.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:25 AM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

How dare Mr. Vanderbeek allow murders to rise 70% since 2010, how dare he allow crime to rise 20%, how dare he allow arrests to drop 20%.

Booker is doing what every good mayor should, tweet every 30 seconds about poetry.

Old
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
I don't want to paint it as a completely rosy picture going to the Rock because I do know someone personally who had a situation happen in the general area, but this is just childish.

Old
Fayne Staley
NJ Senior Citizens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangib View Post
I really hope somebody buys this team.
ditto...i'm getting tired of the sideshow with vanderbeek. not blaming everything on him in this situation,booker is a jerk, but really annoyed with JVB..i think he needs to move on from this team.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:26 AM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItVeryMuch View Post
Thinking about this, exactly how much police have you seen around the arena so far this season anyway? I have been to plenty of games this year and have maybe seen 2 or 3 cops.

The area is safe anyway, just dont go west on Broad St and your fine.

All Booker does it tweet all day, its like a city being run by a 14 year old girl.
It depends on the game/night but overall I have seen a lot less police this season anyway.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:26 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
JVB isn't going anywhere, as per his message last Saturday at the STH event.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:27 AM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

Newark did lay off a bunch of officers not long ago. There are budget concerns in that regard. This is a decision that, when viewed through that lens, shouldn't be all that surprising.

The stadium was overstaffed police wise anyway. It's in a safer, clean area, and herd mentality is protection in its own way.

This decision to me reeks more of bad timing than malice, but it's hard to say with all the mess surrounding this issue.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
Let's win the Cup in Newark first before worrying about the parade.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:30 AM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
And FWIW, this is an INCREDIBLY STUPID move politically by Booker (who I've never regarded as a genius to begin with).

God forbid a patron of any event at The Rock gets harmed or worse, killed in some freak attack, Booker's toast.
The bolded is, unfortunately, very true.

And the former point is a good one. He's not a genius politician; Sharpe James was more so. Booker's fault is that he's a little too honest and idealistic. In a place like Newark, that's incredibly ineffective.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:33 AM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by None Shall Pass View Post
Newark did lay off a bunch of officers not long ago. There are budget concerns in that regard. This is a decision that, when viewed through that lens, shouldn't be all that surprising.

The stadium was overstaffed police wise anyway. It's in a safer, clean area, and herd mentality is protection in its own way.

This decision to me reeks more of bad timing than malice, but it's hard to say with all the mess surrounding this issue.
Also very true.

Again, I did not notice much police anyway. My usual routine before games was walk to the PNC ATM attached to the Arena, down Mulberry street and towards Hells Kitchen. I remember seeing maybe 1 or 2 cops.

I also tend to arrive to pregame a bit early than others.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Marv4Life
Worth billions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeurRULES View Post
It depends on the game/night but overall I have seen a lot less police this season anyway.
Especially since they added a police tower on Broad and Market and a mobile command unit on Broad and Branford with foot/horse patrols on that corridor. The few times I've been down there this season they still had that stupid mobile headquarters on Mulberry and some cops not doing anything. They probably withdrew the cops well before the announcement was made.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:34 AM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

Also, if we manage the cup this year, this has all the makings of a solid MSG docudrama in a few years. If that is any consolation to anybody. It'll air in between episodes of renovating the Garden, which must be enthralling, and I imagine the same 15-20 people who watch that will watch this as well.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:36 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog91730 View Post
I'd love to hear why, out of curiosity.
Rangers fan..

Old
04-10-2012, 11:36 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Let's win the Cup in Newark first before worrying about the parade.
Not disagreeing with you, but TG was the one who tweeted it. But if we can hold a parade in the CAA when McMullen was at war with the NJSEA, we can have one in Newark while Booker whines that we're not paying to clean the streets.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:37 AM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

The Shadowy GM, the High Falutin' Business Man, The Overzealous Mayor, The Free Agent Superstar, The Hall of Fame Goaltender in His Twilight, A City in Pain, The Intrigue, The Mystery

There's a million storylines here and they could all write themselves.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:43 AM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

Also I maintain that the most danger I've ever felt going to a game is lighting a cigarette after I walk out of Newark Penn, because at least 5 or 6 people immediately asked me for one. Like seagulls fighting over a french fry at the beach.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:43 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
The bolded is, unfortunately, very true.

And the former point is a good one. He's not a genius politician; Sharpe James was more so. Booker's fault is that he's a little too honest and idealistic. In a place like Newark, that's incredibly ineffective.
What he's trying to do politically is incredibly obvious.

Booker is trying to tap into his parties recent political narrative with an intentional attack on "the 1%" and this nouveau 2012 election year attempt to demonize "the evil rich", of which, JVDB is the target.

So Booker intentionally, AND VERY PUBLICLY attacks "the evil rich guy".

Those of the people in this thread that are "shocked" and think it's "dumb" to do this "in public" have missed that point entirely.

This is EXACTLY what Booker intentioned to do - he wants to come off as defending the helpless poor of Newark against the big, bad, powerful "Wall Street" guy, and these extremely public comments were not a passionate and frustrated slip of the tongue, but a quite intentional politically calculated attempt to tap into the Democrat's 2012 political narrative against the rich.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:47 AM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Quote:
Also I maintain that the most danger I've ever felt going to a game is lighting a cigarette after I walk out of Newark Penn, because at least 5 or 6 people immediately asked me for one. Like seagulls fighting over a french fry at the beach.
God yes.

Like lambs to the slaughter.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:59 AM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

Quote:
God yes.

Like lambs to the slaughter.
Seriously. And that's not a phenomenon unique to Newark Penn at all. Every major urban transportation hub has those types. New York Penn is worse actually. Union Station in DC has the most polite people about it, I've noticed.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

I remember a guy was struck by a car and killed on Paterson Plank Road after a Devils game about 10 years ago in the Meadowlands.
Near the once go-go bar turned into Redd's restaurant.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:06 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Quote:
Seriously. And that's not a phenomenon unique to Newark Penn at all. Every major urban transportation hub has those types. New York Penn is worse actually. Union Station in DC has the most polite people about it, I've noticed.
I had to lay over in Baltimore once on my way to DC, decided to go outside for a smoke.

The Wire is real.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

Quote:
I had to lay over in Baltimore once on my way to DC, decided to go outside for a smoke.

The Wire is real.
I attended school near Baltimore and hung in Fells Point many a night.
More homeless per capita (and angry compared to the laid back Newark or NYC) than any other city I have frequented along the East Coast.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:11 PM
MadDog172430
Sal Apologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsIn2010 View Post
I attended school near Baltimore and hung in Fells Point many a night.
More homeless per capita (and angry compared to the laid back Newark or NYC) than any other city I have frequented along the East Coast.
As did I, and there were certainly many areas to avoid in that city. However, the Harbor can be relatively nice at times and closer to Towson. Loyola's area is like a bubble compared to the surrounding areas.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:13 PM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
What he's trying to do politically is incredibly obvious.

Booker is trying to tap into his parties recent political narrative with an intentional attack on "the 1%" and this nouveau 2012 election year attempt to demonize "the evil rich", of which, JVDB is the target.

So Booker intentionally, AND VERY PUBLICLY attacks "the evil rich guy".

Those of the people in this thread that are "shocked" and think it's "dumb" to do this "in public" have missed that point entirely.

This is EXACTLY what Booker intentioned to do - he wants to come off as defending the helpless poor of Newark against the big, bad, powerful "Wall Street" guy, and these extremely public comments were not a passionate and frustrated slip of the tongue, but a quite intentional politically calculated attempt to tap into the Democrat's 2012 political narrative against the rich.
I don't think it's an overtly Democrat strategy to be that blunt though. Especially since Obama is so heavily "Wall Street" in his policy decisions. The Democratic strategy is more geared towards "evening up the playing field" (they claim) - something long overdue since the absolute failure of Reaganomics, which turned us from a creditor nation to a debtor nation to begin with, despite the best efforts of Bush Sr. to reverse it. But that's me whining more than anything.

They're trying very hard NOT to frame it as The Democrats vs. the Rich -- just as the Republicans are trying very hard to not frame it as Them Vs. The Middle Class, Women, etc. They're probably pretty miffed that Booker went that outlandish about it. New Jersey Democrats are a different animal though, so who knows. They soured me on the whole party. I can't vote for either group of imbeciles anymore. I just write myself in for president and call it a day.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Marv4Life
Worth billions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog91730 View Post
As did I, and there were certainly many areas to avoid in that city. However, the Harbor can be relatively nice at times and closer to Towson. Loyola's area is like a bubble compared to the surrounding areas.
At times yeah. There's crime there too. There were summer robberies that headlined the local news in recent years.

Closed Thread