HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A look back at our prospects from 3 years ago

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-07-2012, 01:20 PM
  #1
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 9,397
vCash: 500
A look back at our prospects from 3 years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq on August 22, 2009
After more than a month of voting, we finally have our list of prospects. With 50 prospects in total, about half of whom having a very good chance of cracking the NHL, this is probably the deepest prospect list that the Rangers had since HFboards began these rankings.

We can reasonably expect more than a dozen of these kids to play regularly in the NHL.

Take a look at our Summer 2009 Prospect poll: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=674430

The first time I ran a prospect poll on this forum. The results weren't perfectly on target because clearly Carl Hagelin, ranked #21, is superior to Evgeny Grachev, ranked #2. But it's interesting how many NHLers came out of that pool. That was an insanely deep pool. I remember people telling me there's no point in going beyond the top-20, but I felt there was a need to go to the top-30 at the time. And if you look at the players, Hagelin is #21, Dale Weise #23 and Roman Horak is #28. To have 3 NHLers who weren't even in the top-20 is something.


Take a look at how many players we got and how many of them are good:


CENTERS

1. Derek Stepan
2. Artem Anisimov
3. Brian Boyle

WINGERS

4. Carl Hagelin
5. Chris Kreider (almost definite to have an NHL career of some kind)
6. Roman Horak

DEFENSEMEN

7. Ryan McDonagh
8. Michael Del Zotto
9. Michael Sauer
10. Matt Gilroy
11. Corey Potter

* Other possible NHLers: Ryan Bourque, Ethan Werek, Pavel Valentenko, Tomas Kundratek, Bobby Sanguinetti, Evgeny Grachev. I would bet that 1-2 of these players will still make the NHL in some capacity in the future.

That's enough players to dress 2/3 of the skaters you would need for a game. Considering the quality as well as the quantity, we had the best prospect corps at the time.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 01:24 PM
  #2
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 19,348
vCash: 500
What a good group of d prospects.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 02:28 PM
  #3
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 9,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
What a good group of d prospects.
No kidding! You can fill the top-6 of an NHL team with strictly the prospects from that group, and it would be a more than competent bunch.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 03:17 PM
  #4
Giacomin
Registered User
 
Giacomin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,061
vCash: 500
Looks like we missed the boat with Stu Bickel

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 03:21 PM
  #5
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,513
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickel41 View Post
Looks like we missed the boat with Stu Bickel
Stu was in the Ducks system three years ago.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:11 AM
  #6
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Take a look at our Summer 2009 Prospect poll: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=674430

The first time I ran a prospect poll on this forum. The results weren't perfectly on target because clearly Carl Hagelin, ranked #21, is superior to Evgeny Grachev, ranked #2. But it's interesting how many NHLers came out of that pool. That was an insanely deep pool. I remember people telling me there's no point in going beyond the top-20, but I felt there was a need to go to the top-30 at the time. And if you look at the players, Hagelin is #21, Dale Weise #23 and Roman Horak is #28. To have 3 NHLers who weren't even in the top-20 is something.


Take a look at how many players we got and how many of them are good:


CENTERS

1. Derek Stepan
2. Artem Anisimov
3. Brian Boyle

WINGERS

4. Carl Hagelin
5. Chris Kreider (almost definite to have an NHL career of some kind)
6. Roman Horak

DEFENSEMEN

7. Ryan McDonagh
8. Michael Del Zotto
9. Michael Sauer
10. Matt Gilroy
11. Corey Potter

* Other possible NHLers: Ryan Bourque, Ethan Werek, Pavel Valentenko, Tomas Kundratek, Bobby Sanguinetti, Evgeny Grachev. I would bet that 1-2 of these players will still make the NHL in some capacity in the future.

That's enough players to dress 2/3 of the skaters you would need for a game. Considering the quality as well as the quantity, we had the best prospect corps at the time.
Good OP, thanks.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:42 AM
  #7
Leetch3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,434
vCash: 500
always interesting to look back a few years later and see how things turned out...and boyle was never really one of our prospects but thats a different story

but first thing that jumps out at me is how wrong we were about 'top prospects' like grachev and sanguinetti...but on the flipside were also wrong to the positive side about lower ranked guys like hagelin

it'll be interesting to see in a few years who from the current group that we think are locks end up bust, and which guys weren't high on that will make us look foolish and make it

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:47 AM
  #8
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,220
vCash: 500
I'll tell you right now if you look at this thread in 3-4 years that Fasth is going to be an impact player for us.

As for busts, well... I'm not really going to get into that. Let's just say that the spot that Dylan McIlrath was drafted at, for the skills he provides will be a "bust" per se. At that spot you're supposed to draft either really good offensive defensemen or great two way defensemen. Not tough guy d-men. I'm not saying that McIlrarh will be worthless but I don't like the spot we picked him at.

__________________
New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:19 PM
  #9
jaywills1020
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
No kidding! You can fill the top-6 of an NHL team with strictly the prospects from that group, and it would be a more than competent bunch.
i wouldnt go that far. stepan and hagelin maybe but not the rest. theyre 3-4 liners. still a nice group of players though.

jaywills1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:33 PM
  #10
Greg02
Registered User
 
Greg02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywills1020 View Post
i wouldnt go that far. stepan and hagelin maybe but not the rest. theyre 3-4 liners. still a nice group of players though.
Defense.

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.