HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Defense going forward

Old
04-10-2012, 12:20 AM
Talks to Goalposts

vCash: 500
One thing to keep in mind next year is that even if Markov is as good as he was he won't get the same kind of points as he used to. The reason for this is simple. League wide the amount of powerplays handed out has declined precipitously since he last as we appear to be entering a "swallow the whistle" era.

Markov got 39 powerplay points in his final full year when the top point getter got 46. 39 PP points is good for the best in the league this year (Giroux has 38) with number 6 getting 29. Defensemen don't get ~40 PP points anymore, highest in the past two years is 31.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 05:38 AM
onice

Georges Subban
Markov Emelin
Diaz *******

I would unload Kaberle & Campoli. By Xmas time I would also decide between Weber & Diaz. They're basically the same type of player and we need to diversify our defence. AS you can see I lean towards Diaz because I see more upside with him. And I would keep St Denis in Hamilton or let him go. With Diaz there's just no place for him on the team. Diaz has a higher upside and we have a similar player in Nash. And I would go out and get a bruising tough stay at home dman for that 6th spot. Some one like Wideman or Allen.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:57 AM
CGG

A lot of you are way too eager to get rid of Kaberle, Diaz and Weber with the all-powerful "too soft!" argument. Never mind that they're the 2nd, 3rd and 4th scorers on this team from the blue line, so you lose a significant chunk of offense from the blue line. Never mind that they're all capable of playing the PP, at least on the 2nd unit, so to remove them is a hit to our 28th place power play. Never mind that buying out Kaberle would affect the cap for the next 4 years. The real question is, who do you replace them with?

If nothing else, these guys represent depth, and 2 of the 3 are very cheap. We had to use Fredric St-Denis in 17 games this season. He was the # 11 defenseman on our depth chart at the start of the year. 11th! And he had to come in to play 17 games.

Losing those 3 guys (plus Campoli) gives us this:

1-Markov
2-Subban
3-Gorges
4-Emelin
5-St-Denis
6-Bunch of AHL rookies (Ellis, Beaulieu, Tinordi)

This would require getting at least 3 NHL calibre D-men from somewhere, presumably from free agency, unless someone is actually suggesting we trade from our anemic forward group, or trade futures (draft picks or prospects) for some present help. Going into UFA season desperate to pick up guys to fill out the roster worked wonders in the past, didn't it?

Keep these guys. All of them. (Except Campoli, get rid of him). Get Kaberle on a workout program all summer - it's easier to get a vet to return to form than it is to hope some random signing will be both cheaper and better. Keep both Weber and Diaz, pencil them in as # 7 and # 8 if need be. They're cheap depth who will likely be needed at some point due to injuries, and they're both decent puck movers, even if claims of their "Too Soft!"ness are remotely important. To get rid of them for nothing or lose them on waivers would be ridiculous, and 2 years from now all the complaints about losing Beauchemin and Hainsey for nothing would be repeated for Weber and Diaz.

And for everyone who thinks one of Weber or Diaz have to go, why is it automatically Weber? The two are remarkably similar in size and stats. Diaz is 26 years old and apparently has a "higher ceiling". Weber is 23 years old apparently is crap. I don't get it. Weber is younger. Both played roughly 60 games, both had 16-18 points, both are 5'11" and around 194 pounds, both were a -7, both had 30 minutes in penalties, both had season-ending injuries. But Weber gets a cool nickname (Woe-ber, yuck yuck, congrats on the genious who came up with that) and is basically treated like a leper by fans.

Boston can ice Corvo for regular minutes. Ottawa can play Gonchar for 22 minutes a game. The Rangers have The Anton on the ice for 17 minutes a night and finished first overall. Chicago went out and acquired Oduya. Jersey traded a pile of assets for Marek friggin' Zidlicky. Phoenix got decent mileage out of Roszival. All of these guys aren't exactly in the Scott Stevens mold, and would be ostracized by Habs fans for being "Soft!". All are significant pieces on playoff teams.

To impose some kind of moronic rule around "Soft!"ness is ridiculous. Getting rid of all puck movers for slow useless guys who take a lot of penalties and cost three times as much as a Weber or Diaz will not help us.

I'll repeat it - we need one guy, relatively cheap, defensively minded, solid penalty killer, around $3 to $3.5 million to round out the D going forward.

Gorges-Subban
Markov-UFA
Kaberle-Emelin
Weber-Diaz

In Hamilton:
St-Denis
Nash
Beaulieu, Ellis, Tinordi, etc.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:11 AM
yianik

Generally,every year we fans pencil in rookies into the bottom 1 or 2 spots on the D and every year the team fills up those spots with veterans. PK was an exception. Reason is easy, one guy gets injured and you have a rookie in the lineup and if 2 guys go down you have 2 rookies in and you are in trouble. So Tinordi and Nathan etc arent going to start in Montreal this year. I think we have a need for a big, physical guy who blocks shots and can play sound defensively. Number of UFA players like this available. If you want a guy who can generate some offence as well we have very few choices and will really have to pay up.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

One of the big challenges of the new GM is...1-to figure out what kind of production Markov will give the club next year 2-find a reliable top 4 d-man without breaking the bank.

I think a lot of people underrate guys like Diaz and Weber, if those guys are used properly they are solid #5-6 guys that outproduce their cap hit.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:35 AM
blueinmtl

You can't pair a kid like Emelin with a defensive zero like Kaberle. You need experience and mobility to cover for his ineptitude on D, like a healthy Markov. Emelin is a couple of years from being able to assume all defensive responsibility for his partner.

You also can't possibly have Weber and Diaz paired together for even a shift, that is insane. When your d-men cannot play in their own zone you get penned in and it is all hands on deck. The forwards have to play defense first. Offense becomes dumping it out and line changing. Campoli and Kaberle demonstrated this repeatedly.

Kaberle might have some value on another team with much more experience and defensive acumen at the back, not on ours though. Plus he really doesn't seem to have the attitude (yes conditioning in pro athletes is largely down to attitude) we want for a relatively young roster.

I don't get people trying to promote him as even a good fit for our team. Our pp still sucked, the only times it looked competent at the end of the year was with Markov and PK at the points, while Kaberle was at home with his newborn / upper-body injury (surely a brain cramp?).

Our garbage depth on D is directly connected to our awful offense. Must lose two of Kaberle, Diaz, Weber - pick 'em between the last two (though Diaz' willingness looked a lot better than Weber's cluelessness and nervousness; maybe a new coach can fix that). Get a Grossman / Jackman defensive type who can eat second pairing minutes & who could lead the second pairing with Emelin moving up if Markov goes down again and PK-JG becomes our de-facto first pairing; plus a well-rounded guy for the bottom pairing with St Denis.

Like to see:

Markov-Gorges
PK-[new guy]
Emelin-[new guy]
Diaz or Weber or St Denis 7th

I am guessing we cannot send either Diaz or Weber down to Hamilton without re-entry waiver?

blueinmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:42 AM
OneSharpMarble

Ideally we need a dman with a big shot from the point and another who is decent defensively.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:47 AM
lesHabitants514

believe it or not, there is some market for Kaberle, a lower end salary cap team might pick him up for his puck moving, passing skills.

trade kaberle.

Diaz can be sent down as he has an entry level contract.

Weber can be sent down but you can lose him on re-entry waivers as he has a 1-way contract.... I'm sure there's a team that would trade for him...(mid round pick, a player at the same development stage)

Sign Grossman- Big stay at home dman, blocks shots, helps Carey clear those rebounds.
Sign Kubina- Another big d, a good mix of offence and defence, more D to his game though, and has a rocket shot from the point.

Subban-Kubina
Markov-Grossman
Emelin-Gorges

** St-Denis and, my choice as a wildcard for the 7th spot, Brendan Nash

lesHabitants514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Roulin

Just a note that with the amount of injuries on D to every team, every year, IMO the way to go is 8D, 13F. Preferably 8D who all have real NHL experience. I'd have St Denis and Weber compete for that 8th spot, and ideally have 7 defencemen for more experience than either.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:19 AM
LeMAD

You guys are too easilly putting Diaz and St-Denis outside of the lineup. Both are better players than Emelin imo, possibly a legetimate third pairing, and singing 1 or 2 good UFA dmen won't be easy to say the least. We don't have much cap space, and if they have the choice, players would rather sign with a good team.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:40 PM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesHabitants514 View Post
Diaz can be sent down as he has an entry level contract.
Incorrect. He's an overaged European, he signed a one-year entry level deal and is currently an RFA. If he doesn't make the Habs next year he can be plucked on waivers. Same story with Emelin.

Quote:
Weber can be sent down but you can lose him on re-entry waivers as he has a 1-way contract.... I'm sure there's a team that would trade for him...(mid round pick, a player at the same development stage)
Incorrect again. Weber would have been on waivers if the Habs sent him down THIS season, he definitely will be waiver fodder on the way down if the Habs are that dumb NEXT season. One-way contracts have absolutely nothing to do with waivers. It's based on years of service and games played, plus the age a player was when he signed his first contract. Next season will be Weber's 5th in the NHL. He will get picked on waivers if he's sent to Hamilton.

Quote:
Sign Grossman- Big stay at home dman, blocks shots, helps Carey clear those rebounds.
Incorrect again. He is signed through the 2014-15 season with Philly. This goes for everyone else too - we can't sign Grossman. Stop suggesting this as an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueinmtl View Post
You also can't possibly have Weber and Diaz paired together for even a shift, that is insane. When your d-men cannot play in their own zone you get penned in and it is all hands on deck. The forwards have to play defense first. Offense becomes dumping it out and line changing. Campoli and Kaberle demonstrated this repeatedly.
Looks like this was directed at me. I had those guys as the # 7 and # 8 D going into the season, not an actual pairing. As you might have guessed, only 6 D get into the lineup each game, since RC will not be the coach next year. No one is suggesting Weber and Diaz play together on the same shift. I'm saying we keep both, even if they're only extras, to avoid the costly mistake of losing them for nothing.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:41 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
A lot of you are way too eager to get rid of Kaberle, Diaz and Weber with the all-powerful "too soft!" argument.

Keep these guys. All of them. (Except Campoli, get rid of him). Get Kaberle on a workout program all summer - it's easier to get a vet to return to form than it is to hope some random signing will be both cheaper and better.

And for everyone who thinks one of Weber or Diaz have to go, why is it automatically Weber?
The Habs defense is one of the softest in the NHL and one of the softest I have ever seen. But great idea, keep the entire defense on the team that was the worst Habs team ever, sounds like a good plan to get a high pick again next year.

I love the comment about putting Kabs on a workout program. The guy is 34 years old and you think all the sudden he's going to change his style or that he's going to work extra hard in the off-season?

As for Weber vs Diaz, we can not have both as regulars if we want to be a playoff bound team. Personally I think Diaz is much better but to each his own.

Quote:
Sign Grossman
too late

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
We don't have much cap space.
The Habs have over 18M in cap space and if Gomez goes to the AHL then they have over 25M in cap space.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:08 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Ideally we need a dman with a big shot from the point and another who is decent defensively.
Garrison of Florida ( 16 goals ) and Grossman of the Flyers. Both are big and 27 and both hit and block shots. The cost will be high for both and so Kaberles contract would have to go.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:13 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

How mad are you all about Ryan McDonaugh?

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:14 PM
yianik

too late

Grossman is still listed as a UFA after this season and I didnt see a signing on Floridas board.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:22 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
How mad are you all about Ryan McDonaugh?
Forget about the mad part for a minute, McDo is fine size wise, sound defensively, blocks shots, hits alright and generates points. Eats alot of minutes. Except for maybe a big scrappy guy as a 6th or 7th, our D would be looking real strong with him in the line-up. Its really unfortunate BG moved this kid, and for Gomez at that.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:25 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I'll give you a hint, don't look on the team board for a team he doesn't play for.
LOL, mixed up Grossman and Garrison, thanks for the tip. Should have known the Flyers would sign him.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Georges Subban
Markov Emelin
Diaz *******

I would unload Kaberle & Campoli. By Xmas time I would also decide between Weber & Diaz. They're basically the same type of player and we need to diversify our defence. AS you can see I lean towards Diaz because I see more upside with him. And I would keep St Denis in Hamilton or let him go. With Diaz there's just no place for him on the team. Diaz has a higher upside and we have a similar player in Nash. And I would go out and get a bruising tough stay at home dman for that 6th spot. Some one like Wideman or Allen.
Only 2 defenseman on that list will give you the minutes and play required to be a contending team. i'll leave it to you decide. Hint, one is a monster shot blocker and all heart and character guy, the other one is the most talented players to don the CH in many years......Hint Hint, the top 2 guys on the list. Everyone else "was" either good enough or never will be.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
A lot of you are way too eager to get rid of Kaberle, Diaz and Weber with the all-powerful "too soft!" argument. Never mind that they're the 2nd, 3rd and 4th scorers on this team from the blue line, so you lose a significant chunk of offense from the blue line. Never mind that they're all capable of playing the PP, at least on the 2nd unit, so to remove them is a hit to our 28th place power play. Never mind that buying out Kaberle would affect the cap for the next 4 years. The real question is, who do you replace them with?

If nothing else, these guys represent depth, and 2 of the 3 are very cheap. We had to use Fredric St-Denis in 17 games this season. He was the # 11 defenseman on our depth chart at the start of the year. 11th! And he had to come in to play 17 games.

Losing those 3 guys (plus Campoli) gives us this:

1-Markov
2-Subban
3-Gorges
4-Emelin
5-St-Denis
6-Bunch of AHL rookies (Ellis, Beaulieu, Tinordi)

This would require getting at least 3 NHL calibre D-men from somewhere, presumably from free agency, unless someone is actually suggesting we trade from our anemic forward group, or trade futures (draft picks or prospects) for some present help. Going into UFA season desperate to pick up guys to fill out the roster worked wonders in the past, didn't it?

Keep these guys. All of them. (Except Campoli, get rid of him). Get Kaberle on a workout program all summer - it's easier to get a vet to return to form than it is to hope some random signing will be both cheaper and better. Keep both Weber and Diaz, pencil them in as # 7 and # 8 if need be. They're cheap depth who will likely be needed at some point due to injuries, and they're both decent puck movers, even if claims of their "Too Soft!"ness are remotely important. To get rid of them for nothing or lose them on waivers would be ridiculous, and 2 years from now all the complaints about losing Beauchemin and Hainsey for nothing would be repeated for Weber and Diaz.

And for everyone who thinks one of Weber or Diaz have to go, why is it automatically Weber? The two are remarkably similar in size and stats. Diaz is 26 years old and apparently has a "higher ceiling". Weber is 23 years old apparently is crap. I don't get it. Weber is younger. Both played roughly 60 games, both had 16-18 points, both are 5'11" and around 194 pounds, both were a -7, both had 30 minutes in penalties, both had season-ending injuries. But Weber gets a cool nickname (Woe-ber, yuck yuck, congrats on the genious who came up with that) and is basically treated like a leper by fans.

Boston can ice Corvo for regular minutes. Ottawa can play Gonchar for 22 minutes a game. The Rangers have The Anton on the ice for 17 minutes a night and finished first overall. Chicago went out and acquired Oduya. Jersey traded a pile of assets for Marek friggin' Zidlicky. Phoenix got decent mileage out of Roszival. All of these guys aren't exactly in the Scott Stevens mold, and would be ostracized by Habs fans for being "Soft!". All are significant pieces on playoff teams.

To impose some kind of moronic rule around "Soft!"ness is ridiculous. Getting rid of all puck movers for slow useless guys who take a lot of penalties and cost three times as much as a Weber or Diaz will not help us.

I'll repeat it - we need one guy, relatively cheap, defensively minded, solid penalty killer, around $3 to $3.5 million to round out the D going forward.

Gorges-Subban
Markov-UFA
Kaberle-Emelin
Weber-Diaz

In Hamilton:
St-Denis
Nash
Beaulieu, Ellis, Tinordi, etc.
I may not be a genius for having coined Woe-ber but reading your post reassures me that at least one poster has a duller perception than I do.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:31 PM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
The Habs defense is one of the softest in the NHL and one of the softest I have ever seen. But great idea, keep the entire defense on the team that was the worst Habs team ever, sounds like a good plan to get a high pick again next year.

I love the comment about putting Kabs on a workout program. The guy is 34 years old and you think all the sudden he's going to change his style or that he's going to work extra hard in the off-season?

As for Weber vs Diaz, we can not have both as regulars if we want to be a playoff bound team. Personally I think Diaz is much better but to each his own.
It's not the same defense at all, not with Markov. That alone would make a mediocre defense good, and that's what we had this year, a mediocre defense. Not to mention all these young guys are one year older, one year more experienced. Isn't that the reason we want to go with young guys? 'Cuz they'll get better as they grow? And don't you think a real coach and some stability will account for some marginal improvement in team defense as well?

Take a step back here. The current D really isn't that bad. I know it's cool to make fun of them, but they put up the 11th best goals against record in the entire league. 4th best in the East. And they're really not that soft - any D with Gorges, Subban and Emelin getting over half the ice time can't possibly be labeled "soft". None of those guys are soft. Add in Healthy Markov, Kaberle, and yes, one big defensively responsible un-soft veteran at a reasonable price (say $3.5 million) and you're done.

Our D was not the reason we finished dead last in the East and 28th overall.

Why wouldn't Kaberle actually put some effort into it this summer? He must now realize that his grip on an NHL career is now somewhat tenuous. Why do we assume he'll sit around and do nothing all summer? I think he is a textbook case of the Stanley Cup hangover - won the cup, signed a rich UFA contract, turned around and the summer was over, then couldn't keep up once training camp hits since everyone else had a head start. Contrary to popular belief, I think he actually does give a **** and will bounce back to some degree. As recently as two years ago he was allegedly a top-15 defenseman in the whole league. That doesn't just disappear overnight at age 33.

Why do we assume every player we have will get worse, while every player currently on another team will only get better?

If you've read what I wrote, Weber and Diaz are basically the # 7 and # 8 guys on the team. I think we should keep them for valuable depth instead of moving them for a useless pick or on the waiver wire. They're far better than a lot of people give them credit for. Far more useful when injuries inevitably occur because they are good enough to be in the NHL, can make a first pass, can pitch in on the power play, are very cheap, will cost us nothing to acquire and have boatloads of experience compared to other options for fill-ins (like the trio of AHL rookies or St-Denis or expensive UFA depth signings).

Last edited by CGG: 04-10-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old
04-10-2012, 01:38 PM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueinmtl View Post
Kaberle might have some value on another team with much more experience and defensive acumen at the back, not on ours though. Plus he really doesn't seem to have the attitude (yes conditioning in pro athletes is largely down to attitude) we want for a relatively young roster.

I don't get people trying to promote him as even a good fit for our team. Our pp still sucked, the only times it looked competent at the end of the year was with Markov and PK at the points, while Kaberle was at home with his newborn / upper-body injury (surely a brain cramp?).
Hate to throw rain on your parade by pulling out actual numbers instead of biased perception, but here we go:

Power Play with Kaberle in the lineup = 26 for 151, for 17.2%
Power Play without Kaberle in the lineup = 17 for 150, for 11.3%

The 17.2% WITH Kaberle would have been good for roughly 14th place over a whole season, or middle of the road. Not great, but much better than our 28th place actual showing.

Kaberle played 43 games with Montreal, so roughly half the season. If the PP clicked at that same rate for the whole year that's an extra 9 goals. Sounds like peanuts, but 9 goals would have made a huge difference on the season. We would have been +2 in GF/GA instead of -7.

So yes, Kaberle did make a difference.

To your second point, that the PP only looked competent once Markov came back and Kaberle was hurt, well that's just nonsense.

Power Play with Markov in the lineup = 5 for 47, for 10.6%.

Awesome. He'll obviously get better and you can't read too much into that performance in 13 games. But it does prove that you see what you want to see. Montreal's PP was far better with Kaberle than without.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
You guys are too easilly putting Diaz and St-Denis outside of the lineup. Both are better players than Emelin imo, possibly a legetimate third pairing, and singing 1 or 2 good UFA dmen won't be easy to say the least. We don't have much cap space, and if they have the choice, players would rather sign with a good team.
Actually we'll have a lot of cap space by dumping Gomez(the only logical thing to do with him) through waivers.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:43 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
It's not the same defense at all, not with Markov. That alone would make a mediocre defense good, and that's what we had this year, a mediocre defense. Not to mention all these young guys are one year older, one year more experienced. Isn't that the reason we want to go with young guys? 'Cuz they'll get better as they grow?

Take a step back here. The current D really isn't that bad. I know it's cool to make fun of them, but they put up the 11th best goals against record in the entire league. 4th best in the East. And they're really not that soft - any D with Gorges, Subban and Emelin getting over half the ice time can't possibly be labeled "soft". None of those guys are soft. Add in Healthy Markov, Kaberle, and yes, one big defensively responsible un-soft veteran at a reasonable price (say $3.5 million) and you're done.

Why wouldn't Kaberle actually put some effort into it this summer? He must now realize that his grip on an NHL career is now somewhat tenuous. Why do we assume he'll sit around and do nothing all summer? I think he is a textbook case of the Stanley Cup hangover - won the cup, signed a rich UFA contract, turned around and the summer was over, then couldn't keep up once training camp hits since everyone else had a head start. Contrary to popular belief, I think he actually does give a **** and will bounce back to some degree. As recently as two years ago he was allegedly a top-15 defenseman in the whole league. That doesn't just disappear overnight at age 33.
Markov is the wild card since no one knows to what level he will be at next year. If he's anything close to what he was then that's going to be huge for us.

But I disagree with everything else you say. There's no way anyone could convince me that this D isn't one of the softest to ever don the Habs sweater. Also I think the defense is very bad, and if not for Price we would have been on par with the jackets for 30th in the NHL. I think the D is one of the main reasons why we just had the worst season I have ever seen from a Habs team.

As for Kabs, I think you are living in a fantasy world if you think at age 34 he's going to all the sudden work hard in the off-season. He has been a creampuff his entire career and now he looks like a shell of his former leaf days where he at least was a major threat on the PP with his passing. He'll put up some points but he plays like he's scared of his own shadow and I don't know why anyone could think he will all the sudden change.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
It's not the same defense at all, not with Markov. That alone would make a mediocre defense good, and that's what we had this year, a mediocre defense. Not to mention all these young guys are one year older, one year more experienced. Isn't that the reason we want to go with young guys? 'Cuz they'll get better as they grow?

Why do we assume every player we have will get worse, while every player currently on another team will only get better?

If you've read what I wrote, Weber and Diaz are basically the # 7 and # 8 guys on the team. I think we should keep them for valuable depth instead of moving them for a useless pick or on the waiver wire. They're far better than a lot of people give them credit for. Far more useful when injuries inevitably occur because they are good enough to be in the NHL, can make a first pass, can pitch in on the power play, are very cheap, will cost us nothing to acquire and have boatloads of experience compared to other options for fill-ins (like the trio of AHL rookies or St-Denis or expensive UFA depth signings).
The good goals against was because of excellent penalty kill work. 5 on 5 they were mediocre.

Basically it revolves arounding fixing the deficit in the 2nd pairing, which is where they fell down this year and a major reason why Plekanec had a terrible season because he had to cover for them so often instead of getting Gorges-Subban behind him like he needed. Markov goes a long ways to fixing that. Perhaps to the point were Emelin can be the 4th ES defender but that leaves them very vulnerable if one of the top 3 is out of the lineup.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Craig71

We all waited for Markov and many doubted if he would or could ever be the same guy after nearly 2 years of not playing hockey.......he is not the same guy. The hockey IQ is still the same but the body will not do what he needs it to in order to be a number 1 guy. It was cruel what happened to him and I always thought of him as our best player but sadly he is no longer that guy. I know he needs more time but he is not 25 anymore and time is now against him, at 33 years old he has alot to overcome to be what he once was. He would be great to keep for the PP but will not sustain top minutes, luckily we have Subban to fill that role. Many decisions and a very tough first off season for a new GM and coach. So many bad contracts to either buy out or bury in the minors....Gomez,Kaberleare obvious, but what do you do with Markov at at 5.5, ouch. In my opinion we will need at least on more non playoff year to try and fix this mess, like it or not, I fear that this is the reality.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote