HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gorges Preaches Patience

Old
04-10-2012, 01:21 PM
HomaridII

vCash: 500
Gorges Preaches Patience

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...550/story.html

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:37 PM
OneSharpMarble

Give him the C.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:41 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Give him the C.
Leave it to Gionta.

The C is just a letter on the jersey.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I agree with the captain. We underachieved badly, but we can turn things around with the right decisions.

http://grooveshark.com/s/Patience/4yImKx?src=5

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:44 PM
overlords
Hfboards

I love gorges

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:48 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Another awesome, eye-popping article by Dave Stubbs and the Gazette goons.

The media here isn't harsh, they're just withered old dinosaurs who can't be arsed to do any real journalism. Or even fake trying to.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:53 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post

The media here isn't harsh, they're just withered old dinosaurs who can't be arsed to do any real journalism. Or even fake trying to.
Real journalism? Yeah, he should start rumour about the darkest days in Habs history, that's real journalism. Do you know what an interview is? One ask questions, the other answers them. Since all the questions have been covered by other media, why not go with a more personal approach?

Nah, it's much better to ask him why he doesn't want to talk about PK, after all, people should know what goes in the locker room, right? It's our right to know. What happens in the room, doesn't stay in the room, right?

Get a grip.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Craig71

Josh Gorges is a major part of our so called core of players, It's true that Patches,Subban and Price are always talked about as the franchise players, but this guy deserves the same respect.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 02:03 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Real journalism? Yeah, he should start rumour about the darkest days in Habs history, that's real journalism. Do you know what an interview is? One ask questions, the other answers them. Since all the questions have been covered by other media, why not go with a more personal approach?

Nah, it's much better to ask him why he doesn't want to talk about PK, after all, people should know what goes in the locker room, right? It's our right to know. What happens in the room, doesn't stay in the room, right?

Get a grip.
You're acting indignant because to you the only two options are fluff pieces and garbage rumor mongering.

What about tactics, what about the putrid powerplay and why it was bad, what about asking about what Cunney did/does different than Jacques, what about asking legitimate hockey questions - about the organization and fans (without resorting to "the org. is professional and the fans are the best!!") and not taking up inches of daily column on **** like Gorges' "magnetic" ability to block a shot and what that does to Price's save percentage and what price and Budaj might think would be a fair compensation (a visit to Price's new Kelowna home or maybe some dinner in Montreal? I dunno Stubbs, you tell me!!)

Get your head out of the sand. Print media is beyond dead, these fools at the Gazette couldn't keep a crowd in a cemetery. Well, except Jack Todd but he doesn't even seem fully literate at this point.

Old
04-10-2012, 02:03 PM
MarkovsKnee

Cool that Price is his best friend on the team, and that their homes in Kelowna are close to each other. Looking forward to having the two buddies on the team for awhile, and I agree: I think the Habs are going to be better next year.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 02:09 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
I love Montreal, he said. Its become my home, having been here a number of years now. When I go back to Kelowna, it feels like Im going on a vacation.
That's awesome.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 02:11 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Leave it to Gionta.

The C is just a letter on the jersey.
Just general speaking, but I hate when ppl say that as if Gionta hasn't been an excellent Capitan, but Gorges will for sure in line to take the C when Gionta contract is done.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 02:11 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:

If you're not happy with Stubbs' articles I suggest you to read other people. There are plenty of journalists out there.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 02:16 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
If you're not happy with Stubbs' articles I suggest you to read other people. There are plenty of journalists out there.
Thanks for your suggestion, I never once thought of that but now that you bring it up I'll give it a try.

Old
04-10-2012, 02:35 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion, I never once thought of that but now that you bring it up I'll give it a try.
The "if you don't like it, don't read it" argument is so weak. It's the kind of argument you bring out when you know you're losing the argument.

Anyways, I get ya Whiskers. It was definitely a fluff article. But I'm guessing that the journalists are backing off a bit, just to let things cool down. We'll probably (hopefully) get more in depth analysis of the season as the summer moves forward and these guys ran out of fluff pieces to write about.

The n00b King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
You're acting indignant because to you the only two options are fluff pieces and garbage rumor mongering.

What about tactics, what about the putrid powerplay and why it was bad, what about asking about what Cunney did/does different than Jacques, what about asking legitimate hockey questions - about the organization and fans (without resorting to "the org. is professional and the fans are the best!!") and not taking up inches of daily column on **** like Gorges' "magnetic" ability to block a shot and what that does to Price's save percentage and what price and Budaj might think would be a fair compensation (a visit to Price's new Kelowna home or maybe some dinner in Montreal? I dunno Stubbs, you tell me!!)

Get your head out of the sand. Print media is beyond dead, these fools at the Gazette couldn't keep a crowd in a cemetery. Well, except Jack Todd but he doesn't even seem fully literate at this point.
Dude, the season is over. At this point, it's not even worth it to go back and do technical pieces on what went right/wrong. Sure, this is a fluff piece and Dave Stubbs sure loves those. However, it gives you a little insight into the type of person Gorges is and brings a positive light on a season that lacked any.

I'm not a big fan of the Gazette's work either, but this doesn't deserve your criticism. I'd like it as much as you do to see bigger questions tackled, and see journalists really try to write meaningful articles about the technical aspect of things. Sadly, the Gazette favours fluff pieces that are easy to write and show the human side of players. Because you know, they're humans and at the end of the day, it might be good for the overzealous and highly critical fans to remember that.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 02:47 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by The n00b King View Post
The "if you don't like it, don't read it" argument is so weak. It's the kind of argument you bring out when you know you're losing the argument.

Anyways, I get ya Whiskers. It was definitely a fluff article. But I'm guessing that the journalists are backing off a bit, just to let things cool down. We'll probably (hopefully) get more in depth analysis of the season as the summer moves forward and these guys ran out of fluff pieces to write about.
I'm not asking for the moon here, out of (the presumably) 100+ columns written between the hockey desk at the Gazette HQ, I want to see, say FIVE, that offer any on-ice hockey analysis OR reasonable pro-active insight into some previous moves/alternate moves/future moves. In the world of twitter, google news and hfboards we don't need David Stubbs repeating thirty times that Cammy was "bizarrely traded after the 2nd period", we saw it live, tweeted it, etc. Give something, anything substantial. Some prospect analysis.

Hell, I betcha they didn't even know the top 30 skaters overall and still won't until after the draft.

I'm bored to death by these old-media *******s who have so much sway in the league because they're contrasted against bigger, louder morons like Eklund. At least Eklund has a hockey opinion that sticks to the on-ice product and not some inane human detail about how they're all people with families. We, ****ing, get, it.

Old
04-10-2012, 02:57 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
Dude, the season is over. At this point, it's not even worth it to go back and do technical pieces on what went right/wrong. Sure, this is a fluff piece and Dave Stubbs sure loves those. However, it gives you a little insight into the type of person Gorges is and brings a positive light on a season that lacked any.

I'm not a big fan of the Gazette's work either, but this doesn't deserve your criticism. I'd like it as much as you do to see bigger questions tackled, and see journalists really try to write meaningful articles about the technical aspect of things. Sadly, the Gazette favours fluff pieces that are easy to write and show the human side of players. Because you know, they're humans and at the end of the day, it might be good for the overzealous and highly critical fans to remember that.
The problem here is that Stubbs & Co. [I'm setting aside the French media for this rant] are FEEDING THE MASSES THIS DISINFORMATION. All season they peddle this ****, and NEVER, EVER tackle the hard questions. I used to be a huge member on HabsInsideOut (under a different name) and I just got sick of the Gazette for their bland, insightless hockey reporting.

Hell I'd rather read Whitesnake's crazy wall-of-text rants than another Stubbs article. Double hell, I'd rather read LafleursGuy and MathMan bring up super-specific numbers/dates/facts to back up their arguments, at least they bring arguments to the table!!

The overzealous and highly critical fans would be way less overzealous to the players if they had some actual hockey to observe and not see 5 random skaters in Red jerseys give up the neutral zone after giving the puck away. Tactics! Xs and Os, analyze what went wrong with some goal, what went right, why a ref might've not called something because he missed an earlier call.

These guys are supposed to be professional sports journalists, beat reporters who live and breathe this sport. I can come up with sound arguments defending every single move Gauthier/Gainey made - and sound arguments attacking those same moves. Stubbs and his goons can't muster up one original thought or inference over an entire ********* season.

"The bizarre story of the 2011-2012 Montreal Canadiens took another turn as Owner and President Geoff Molson unceremoniously fired BLAH BLAH BLAH" Who gives a ****.

Old
04-10-2012, 03:05 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Its hilarious how like every thread around here turns into an argument that has nothing to do with what the actual thread is about. I feel bad for the mods.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
The problem here is that Stubbs & Co. [I'm setting aside the French media for this rant] are FEEDING THE MASSES THIS DISINFORMATION. All season they peddle this ****, and NEVER, EVER tackle the hard questions. I used to be a huge member on HabsInsideOut (under a different name) and I just got sick of the Gazette for their bland, insightless hockey reporting.

Hell I'd rather read Whitesnake's crazy wall-of-text rants than another Stubbs article. Double hell, I'd rather read LafleursGuy and MathMan bring up super-specific numbers/dates/facts to back up their arguments, at least they bring arguments to the table!!

The overzealous and highly critical fans would be way less overzealous to the players if they had some actual hockey to observe and not see 5 random skaters in Red jerseys give up the neutral zone after giving the puck away. Tactics! Xs and Os, analyze what went wrong with some goal, what went right, why a ref might've not called something because he missed an earlier call.

These guys are supposed to be professional sports journalists, beat reporters who live and breathe this sport. I can come up with sound arguments defending every single move Gauthier/Gainey made - and sound arguments attacking those same moves. Stubbs and his goons can't muster up one original thought or inference over an entire ********* season.

"The bizarre story of the 2011-2012 Montreal Canadiens took another turn as Owner and President Geoff Molson unceremoniously fired BLAH BLAH BLAH" Who gives a ****.
I agree with you 100%. All I'm saying is now is not the right time to complain about it. The season is over, there's no coach or GM to talk to even if they wanted to explore issues deeper.

But yeah, generally, I fully agree. I'm getting the feeling that they're scared to burn bridges with the organization after what happened with guys like Rejean Tremblay. That's a lazy excuse, and they should definitely try to get some factual analysis in their articles.

The only thing is, we don't know who asks for what article. Maybe Stubbs & co. have full editorial power and just are being lazy ***** about it. Or maybe, the Sports Editor at the Gazette is a hack who only wants simple, fluff pieces that are easy to read and don't add fuel to the fire. You also have to remember that we're on this site because we have love for hockey, and generally more knowledge than the normal person. Habs fans are known to be knowledgeable, but a big amount are also dumbasses. They don't wanna read about X's and O's, about defensive zone breakouts and forecheck tactics as bad as we do. They wanna read about their favourite players and what make them so great. So the Gazette has to cater to its audience. But as you noted, that does not excuse the fact that they NEVER go in deep on any subject, and forget any sort of opinionated analysis.

EDIT: Gorges is an awesome guy.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
Great, now Gorges is going to get traded...

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 04:19 PM
penopekoo

Love Gorges. He is one of our clear untouchables. That was such a good trade...

penopekoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 05:44 PM
SB164

Let's just get one thing straight though, whether he's in Montreal or especially Kelowna, Gorges ain't no captain, that's for damn sure!

@WhiskeySeven: I believe what the anglo media is severely missing these days is Arpon Basu's insightful column "The Daily Hab-It" I understand he couldn't decline an editorial role in LHN.com, but he's become largely insignificant nowawadays (and I say that as a big fan of Basu's earlier work). As Obi-Won would say, "you were the chosen one!"

Last edited by SB164: 04-10-2012 at 05:51 PM.
SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Seems like all the nhl players are buying summer property in kelowna. Can't blame them, I love it there too.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:51 AM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Let's just get one thing straight though, whether he's in Montreal or especially Kelowna, Gorges ain't no captain, that's for damn sure!

@WhiskeySeven: I believe what the anglo media is severely missing these days is Arpon Basu's insightful column "The Daily Hab-It" I understand he couldn't decline an editorial role in LHN.com, but he's become largely insignificant nowawadays (and I say that as a big fan of Basu's earlier work). As Obi-Won would say, "you were the chosen one!"
Reasons?

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote