Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Prokhorkin/Slepyshev

Old
04-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Dares

vCash: 500
Prokhorkin/Slepyshev

Prokhorkin/Slepyshev are they round 1 quality players? If yes are they early/mid/late round ? ISS had Prokhorkin at #19 at one stage then after his injury Slepyshev was always higher than him in rankings. Different rankings have them all over the place.
I presume those NA guys doing those lists just throw them in so people dont say they didnt put them down.

Dares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dares View Post
Prokhorkin/Slepyshev are they round 1 quality players? If yes are they early/mid/late round ? ISS had Prokhorkin at #19 at one stage then after his injury Slepyshev was always higher than him in rankings. Different rankings have them all over the place.
I presume those NA guys doing those lists just throw them in so people dont say they didnt put them down.
Both players are 1 round material. If we could forget the 'russian factor' they could go early-mid. Will prrobably both end up late 1st - mid 2nd.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Dares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
Both players are 1 round material. If we could forget the 'russian factor' they could go early-mid. Will prrobably both end up late 1st - mid 2nd.
Thats what i thought. No wonder ISS has Prokhorkin at #19 early during the year.
Slepyshev didnt do much at U18 to improve his ranking, well not like it was his fault.
I see them going late 2nd. They barely in top 10 Euro rankings. It just shows how poorly Russians are scounted. Late 1st- mid 2nd would be for someone like Zharkov whos in NA and less of a risk. Tampa Bay has 2 picks in 2nd , early/mid, i'd say they go for at least one of Gusev, Zharkov, Slepy, Prokhorkin.

Dares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
Rather than have all the best players drafted high in the NHL draft and going off to NA, I would love to see some of the best players stay in Russia and strengthen the quality of the KHL. If all the really good Russian players go off to the NHL, as it currently is, then the KHL will never substantially improve, and Russian hockey will exist solely for the purpose of feeding the NHL.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 03:32 AM
Hockeycritic

Quote:
Slepyshev didnt do much at U18 to improve his ranking, well not like it was his fault. I see them going late 2nd. They barely in top 10 Euro rankings. It just shows how poorly Russians are scounted.
Quite agree with you about NHL teams scouting in Russia! RUSSIA still has talents to offer... some senior KHL players get free agent status and NHL should know when to sign best ones willing to go and play in NHL. Examples PHI Bobrovsky before 10-11 and CAL signed Cervenka 12-13. Good players in right time and place chosen and signed without being drafted.

They NHL clubs have only 9 Russian scouts left with them (VAN,NYR,TOR,PHI,ANA,WPG,DET,CBJ,FLA... not sure OTW). Euro scouts come to Russia but still rare guests at the games. Year 2000 NHL had at least 22-24 scouts from Russia with NHL teams.

Now NHL so much not interested in Russia with its KHL(top for seniors)-VHL(farm teams)-MHL(junior league).

Even NHL Central Scouting Bureau doesn't keep in Russia 11-12 season scout who can make difference between Winger and Center forward hint at Prokhorkin. Who cares Center or Winger - just forward... Look at final CSB ranking list.

Montreal no Russians needed… Calgary Flames (Tod Button) just hired David Volek as their Czech/Slovak Area Scout. Volek’s brother works for JP Barry (CAA Agency) What on earth to scout in CZE/SVK when their best athletes after NHL go to KHL in Russia?

Hockeycritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Thats what i thought. No wonder ISS has Prokhorkin at #19 early during the year.
Slepyshev didnt do much at U18 to improve his ranking, well not like it was his fault.
I see them going late 2nd. They barely in top 10 Euro rankings. It just shows how poorly Russians are scounted. Late 1st- mid 2nd would be for someone like Zharkov whos in NA and less of a risk. Tampa Bay has 2 picks in 2nd , early/mid, i'd say they go for at least one of Gusev, Zharkov, Slepy, Prokhorkin.
You are right about Slepyshev underperforming at the U18, but so did most others as well. When a whole team pretty much underperforms, the coaching staff make good suspects.

Old
06-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Fulcrum

As a Russian fan I could care less what # they'll go in the draft. As long as they become good hockey players. Kuznetsov went 26- who cares now?! That's my point. #s are irrelevant, and people overfocus on this, I think.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
As a Russian fan I could care less what # they'll go in the draft. As long as they become good hockey players. Kuznetsov went 26- who cares now?! That's my point. #s are irrelevant, and people overfocus on this, I think.
I agree 100%. As a Russian fan, I only care what they do when they are wearing the red, white and blue. To be honest, as big a fan I am of the Russian NHL stars, I often don't watch them play for their NHL teams when they are on, because I could really care less about the NHL. I thought the KHL players played great in the WC, and that's all I really care about.

Old
06-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Zine

Quote:
Why do you think Slepyshev underperformed at U18? I thought he played very well.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:53 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Why do you think Slepyshev underperformed at U18? I thought he played very well.
He might have played well. But the way he played was not even close to the high scoring 1st line Russian wingers that we come to expect, like Kucherov, Yakupov, Kuznetsov. He's not that kind of player, he didn't "carry" the team on any level and might not ever be as good. So far we definitely haven't seen that.

Old
06-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Zine

Quote:
He might have played well. But the way he played was not even close to the high scoring 1st line Russian wingers that we come to expect, like Kucherov, Yakupov, Kuznetsov. He's not that kind of player, he didn't "carry" the team on any level and might not ever be as good. So far we definitely haven't seen that.
I don't know what you were expecting of him, but Slepyshev has never been considered a Kuznetsov/Kucherov level offensive player. He has some great skills, but his strength is smarts, versatility and 2-way play.

He reminds me of a more offensive, less physical version of Kulemin.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
I don't know what you were expecting of him, but Slepyshev has never been considered a Kuznetsov/Kucherov level offensive player. He has some great skills, but his strength is smarts, versatility and 2-way play.

He reminds me of a more offensive, less physical version of Kulemin.
I agree with you on Slepyshev. I don't expect much from him. But for a 1st line winger on team Russia, we should expect better than an average 2 way prospect.

Old
06-16-2012, 12:31 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
I agree with you on Slepyshev. I don't expect much from him. But for a 1st line winger on team Russia, we should expect better than an average 2 way prospect.
I think he is a 3rd or 4th line prospect. He falls below Yakupov, Grigorenko, Kosov, Khokhlachev, and Kucherov at a minimum. I agree that he is a good, sound player, but not one who seems capable of leading a team in big matches against teams like Canada, Sweden and the United States.

Old
06-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
I think he is a 3rd or 4th line prospect. He falls below Yakupov, Grigorenko, Kosov, Khokhlachev, and Kucherov at a minimum. I agree that he is a good, sound player, but not one who seems capable of leading a team in big matches against teams like Canada, Sweden and the United States.
U20 and in General - yes he is a 3rd 4th liner. I was just talking about the last U18 tournament, where he was supposed to be the leader on 1st line.

Old
06-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
U20 and in General - yes he is a 3rd 4th liner. I was just talking about the last U18 tournament, where he was supposed to be the leader on 1st line.
Yes, I understood the point you were making. Prior to the U20 tournament, Slepyshev was supposed to be a team leader, but he didn't fulfill those expectations during the tournament. His linemates Yakimov and Barabanov seemed to stir up more action.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Slapyshev's U18 performance is a unique case. Many ppl don't realize he played his first full season in the KHL at age 17. We see a lot of 20yr olds drop off the pace they set at their first season's start. It's all part of the learning curve. His performanca at U18 WC is no real indication. The fact he's gone undrafted is just part of the new trend. Only the few best guys who go to NA junior teams will be drafted. The others become more of the Bobrovsky case.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote