HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hawks @ Oilers - Nov 18th

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2003, 08:22 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOON63
Sorry LHMF!! I was preparing my luggages because my plane is at 5 AM tomorrow morning!!I'll be in edmonton around noon....pretty excited about that.
It's alright, just have a friend that likes to know what the defensive lineup is. Hope you enjoy our city!

Old
11-18-2003, 08:38 PM
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
It's alright, just have a friend that likes to know what the defensive lineup is. Hope you enjoy our city!

We have a defensive line-up? Is that where Brewer rips shots at you while you go off on a line change?

Old
11-18-2003, 08:43 PM
Allan

Jarrett Stoll doesn't look mean enough, so Eric was just helping him. You know, like Moe with the bus in Slap Shot. :p

Old
11-18-2003, 08:53 PM
Obsessed

I only got to listen to parts of the game but it sounded like Brewer had an off game. How did the rest of the D play?

Old
11-18-2003, 09:26 PM
OYLer

Bad video feed

Had to catch the game at the local watering hole because I am at my work hovel in E-Town. The sport bar I big screened at, used a Fox Comcast feed and we were forced to watch and listen to American commentary which was truly pathetic. They didn't know some of the Oilers' names and had York passing directly to Dvorak for the first goal not Hemsky. Took them a while to figure out who Stoll was which was kinda' embarrassing for them since he scored the 2nd goal.:p

They thought the refereeing was "very questionable" with the Refs making 2 or 3 "horrible" calls. They had penalties going go Edmonton until Hawks players started to enter the box. I was bummed that the sport bar didn't spring for the Pay-Per-View feed. Another sellout at Coliseum tonight which is good. I picked Dvo for the hat trick and he came close. A pretty entertaining end to end game played respectably well by most of the Oilers. Giving up 35 shoots on net is not so good but Conklin gets it done between the pipe and only gives up 2 goals. We were even 52% at the dot and scored on the PP even if it was a two man advantage.

I wonder if some pessimists out there are starting to see we have the makings of a pretty team here this year and finishing higher in the standings and going deep in the playoffs is well within reach of this years team. The future is now and we should expect more of this team. I think who will contribute more in their 1st season Conklin or Torres will I hope be hotly debated all year. 2nd & 3rd game Stars respectively show just how well both are playing.

Old
11-18-2003, 09:31 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed
I only got to listen to parts of the game but it sounded like Brewer had an off game. How did the rest of the D play?
Brewer made a couple of his patented boneheaded plays but was plus 2 and played almost 23 minutes of pretty good hockey I thought. I was a sloppy game defensively for both teams. Staios had a couple of nice plays defensively.

Old
11-18-2003, 09:59 PM
Hemmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Had to catch the game at the local watering hole because I am at my work hovel in E-Town. The sport bar I big screened at, used a Fox Comcast feed and we were forced to watch and listen to American commentary which was truly pathetic. They didn't know some of the Oilers' names and had York passing directly to Dvorak for the first goal not Hemsky. Took them a while to figure out who Stoll was which was kinda' embarrassing for them since he scored the 2nd goal.:p

They thought the refereeing was "very questionable" with the Refs making 2 or 3 "horrible" calls. They had penalties going go Edmonton until Hawks players started to enter the box. I was bummed that the sport bar didn't spring for the Pay-Per-View feed. Another sellout at Coliseum tonight which is good. I picked Dvo for the hat trick and he came close. A pretty entertaining end to end game played respectably well by most of the Oilers. Giving up 35 shoots on net is not so good but Conklin gets it done between the pipe and only gives up 2 goals. We were even 52% at the dot and scored on the PP even if it was a two man advantage.

I wonder if some pessimists out there are starting to see we have the makings of a pretty team here this year and finishing higher in the standings and going deep in the playoffs is well within reach of this years team. The future is now and we should expect more of this team. I think who will contribute more in their 1st season Conklin or Torres will I hope be hotly debated all year. 2nd & 3rd game Stars respectively show just how well both are playing.
Are you drunk? You're talking all normal...

:p

Old
11-18-2003, 10:43 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
Are you drunk? You're talking all normal...

:p
When interesting Oilers' events happen and ideas are abuzz on the boards, sometimes the very act of writing for me is intoxicating . But tonight I'm just tired and happy the Oilers have earned 2 more points winning a game they should have won. But that dreadful 2nd period exhausted me.

Old
11-19-2003, 02:25 AM
Yanner39

Good half game. Second period was brutal. Thank God Conklin didn't allow the third goal. He was pretty solid and came up with a big save in the third period.

A few notes:

The Oilers haven't been this scambly in a period for a while now. I guess they get up by 3 goals and start planning the parade themselves. ALOT of bone head plays in that period.

Chimera seems to be playing alot better recently. He's got his wheels going.

Horcoff. I can't help the feeling I have that he's being showcased for a trade. I mean, at one time last night, the York line was not, faceoff in the Oiler zone and MacT switches Torres with Horcoff, so that Horc can take the important faceoff. What the %$@&! Did he even win a faceoff last night? One thing I will give Horcoff is the energy he brings. He had the speed going last night, made a number of good rushes (that ended with bad decisions).

The PP: They look like a pee wee team out there. They have no strategy, players bobbling the puck. Oates will help, but they need a complete overhaul IMO.

On the Hemsky shooting issue, I think that Oates may help in this regard. Oates will find Hemsky and get him the puck in a position he'll have to shoot: in the slot, speed down the wing, etc. Maybe the fact that Oates is a passer but can score once in a while will rub off on Hemsky.

Old
11-19-2003, 07:31 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
Well no one has started one yet, so I will. Come on everyone, let get some predictions going!

I will say 5-2 Oilers

Isbister,Dvorak , Brewer, Torres and Moreau

PS- Can I get a sticky?
Hmm maybe I should start more game thread preditions. Not too far off.
Game notes, Dvorak York Torres were awesome again. Also I don't see the point in breaking up Smyth and hemsky. Smyth with moreau and pisani just isn't working for me.

Conks, great again. And we picked this kid up for nothing?

Old
11-19-2003, 01:01 PM
Hairball

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
wot else did he say hairball anything of note?

What I noticed first of all was when he was interviewing Ricky Ray. His last question went something like this: I know you're going to get asked about going to the NFL a lot in the next little while. How do you think you've developed in your time here in Edmonton.

It was a leading question to get him to discuss his future without seeming to pressure him into giving away his plans for next year and without the same angle as a lot of questions he's going to get asked.

I was impressed. That's all. He also did interviews with Simpson, Oates, Smith, and Conklin. I went to bed after that. He might have done more. I think it's indicative of his excellent rapport with the players that they always call him by his first name in front of the camera.

As for the game- I am so hyped. What a great time to be a sports fan in this blizzardy city of ours. Like they said on the ppv- the Oilers used their bend but not break mentality. I really enjoyed the game. And Ethan got the game winner. That's like three or four now isn't it?

Closed Thread