HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Sign Chris Kreider to ELC (First year of ELC active)

Old
04-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Your kidding right? Your defending keeping barely a 4th liner Mitchell in the lineup over a kid who is bigger, faster, and more offensively talented. Mitchell shouldve been in the press box the last three weeks. I guess you missed Boyle's comments today to reporters.

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Dubi-Boyle-Anisimov
You, just like everyone else on this board, have no idea if Kreider is ready for the NHL. Just because he was physically more gifted than his high school and college counterparts means he can just waltz right onto a top team in the best league in the world?

Personally, I dont think theres any way in hell he plays in game 1. The coaching staff is going to have to make the determination above, and its going to take more than 1 practice.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 06:46 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I can see Sather picking him up in a limo driver's uniform.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Someone needs to work some Photoshop magic. Use the "Boromir: One does not simply" meme about Kreider.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 06:49 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Your kidding right? Your defending keeping barely a 4th liner Mitchell in the lineup over a kid who is bigger, faster, and more offensively talented. Mitchell shouldve been in the press box the last three weeks. I guess you missed Boyle's comments today to reporters.
I'm not kidding at all. This team WON the Eastern Conf and every player in the locker room deserves to wear a Rangers sweater out onto the Garden Ice for game 1 of the playoffs. I think Torts will want Kreider to 'earn' his way into the lineup while making an 'example' out of someone who earned their way to the bench. So yea, if we win the next 16 games in a row (god willing), I don't expect to see Kreider in a Rangers sweater this season. More likely, Rupp or Mitchell or someone else will have a bad night and open the door for Kreider to 'get a shot' while Torts gets to send that player a message.

And yes, I agree that Kreider is a better player than our whole 4th line. So was Seguin last yr for the Bruins...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 06:54 PM
jskramer83

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
I can see Sather picking him up in a limo driver's uniform.
Wonder if Jeremy Lin is going to let him stay at derek lee's old place

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 06:58 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
I bet Torts rolls out the same lineup that won us the East, with Kreider in the press box. Every player knows that Kreider will be taking someones spot in the lineup and may never give it back so you don't want it to be yours. Torts will 1000% use THAT to his advantage while teaching the "kid" that you have to earn you spot. It won't just be handed to you...
The same lineup that got blown out the last two games of the regular season?

If he gels with the players and impresses in practice, it would be foolish to think he wont play. He's been put on the NHL roster for a reason. The organization believes, clearly, that he can make an immediate impact.

If he's ready, he's ready.

If not, then he's not.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 06:58 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
They'll probably have Kreider bunk up with Boyle, Stepan, or McDonagh. Whichever one has an extra bedroom.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Jim Ramsay

I am very excited for Kreider to grace the garden ice at some point, but the bottom line is he doesn't DESERVE to be a part of this team in the playoffs unless they look absolutely lifeless a few games in. This team deserves to be in the playoffs with the lineup that got them there.... Unfortunately too many people around here really underestimate the battle level and comradery that has been built with this team to get where they are.

Its good to have him in case an injury happens, but he in no way belongs in any starting lineup otherwise

Jim Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:00 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
You, just like everyone else on this board, have no idea if Kreider is ready for the NHL. Just because he was physically more gifted than his high school and college counterparts means he can just waltz right onto a top team in the best league in the world?

Personally, I dont think theres any way in hell he plays in game 1. The coaching staff is going to have to make the determination above, and its going to take more than 1 practice.
Youre right. I dont know. But no one will no until he gets a shot. And that was my point, he should be in that lineup over john mitchell plain and simple. If he cant handle it, you put mitchell back in. One player is not going to lose a game for us. The system in place and the players that abide by it are too good. You can afford to take a chance...because quite honestly the scoring was very inconsistent the last 2-3 weeks.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:01 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
Who is this?

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Jim Ramsay

and furthermore there is no way a coach like torts throws a guy out on the ice that hasn't earned his keep going through a training camp and the rigors of the season.... even if he would be replacing mitchell/rupp/feds

Old
04-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
I think he's a waste on the 4th line though. Move Feds down.

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Anisimov-Stepan-Callahan
Dubinsky-Boyle-Kreider
Fedotenko-Rupp-Prust
This is precisely what I would do.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:05 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ramsay View Post
and furthermore there is no way a coach like torts throws a guy out on the ice that hasn't earned his keep going through a training camp and the rigors of the season.... even if he would be replacing mitchell/rupp/feds
Like Stralman, Woywitka, Staal, Scott...

Old
04-10-2012, 07:06 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
The playoffs are different. He's here for a reason. If Torts believes Kreider can help this team more than Mitchell, he's not going let Mitchell's feelings get in the way of improving the Rangers' cup chances.

KingWantsCup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Jim Ramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Like Stralman, Woywitka, Staal, Scott...

Those have happened during the season, but post season is different. Torts has a feeling for the guys on the roster as it stands before today, feel free to call me out on this if Torts decides to play Kreider in the first round unless they are down 0-2. Its not gonna happen

Old
04-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Edge

All speculative at this point.

Personally, I have a feeling that Kreider plays.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Youre right. I dont know. But no one will no until he gets a shot. And that was my point, he should be in that lineup over john mitchell plain and simple. If he cant handle it, you put mitchell back in. One player is not going to lose a game for us. The system in place and the players that abide by it are too good. You can afford to take a chance...because quite honestly the scoring was very inconsistent the last 2-3 weeks.
What "shot?" I literally dont know what youre talking about. Kreider is 20 years old and just walked off a college campus.

This is about the natural progression of a prospect. College hockey game to NHL playoff game in the course of a few days ain't that.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:16 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The CBA does not specify when signing bonus can or can't be paid. Its not a salary. Brad Richards got a $10M signing bonus for signing with the Rangers. That was in July 2011. There was no season being played. Players weren't getting paid. The only restriction regarding signing bonuses is for entry level contracts which states the signing bonus can be 10% of the max. Dylan McIlrath signed in March 2011. He got a signing bonus and his contract doesn't begin until 12-13. I heard him interviewed after signing the ELC. He was thinking of buying a new car with some of the signing bonus money.

McKenzie said a few weeks ago,Kreider would wait to sign. Elliotte Friedman said Kreider needed to be signed before the regular season ended.

Kreider signed a 3 year ELC. $900,000 is the MAX for 2009 picks. $90,000 can be a signing bonus. $270,000.

He has a games played playoff bonus. Brooks wrote they don't pay bonuses in the playoffs but Toews got a $1.3M bonus for winning the Conn Smythe in 2010.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:19 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Those have happened during the season, but post season is different. Torts has a feeling for the guys on the roster as it stands before today, feel free to call me out on this if Torts decides to play Kreider in the first round unless they are down 0-2. Its not gonna happen
He's been put on the NHL roster for a reason. There's no guarantee either way. But the Rangers organization clearly believes he can contribute.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 04-10-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old
04-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
I am very excited for Kreider to grace the garden ice at some point, but the bottom line is he doesn't DESERVE to be a part of this team in the playoffs unless they look absolutely lifeless a few games in. This team deserves to be in the playoffs with the lineup that got them there.... Unfortunately too many people around here really underestimate the battle level and comradery that has been built with this team to get where they are.

Its good to have him in case an injury happens, but he in no way belongs in any starting lineup otherwise
He deserves a shot. Any Rangers player does.

On top of that, I'm not sure Mitchell has earned a spot in the playoffs. After his first dozen games maybe, but after his next 50 or so?

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Jim Ramsay

I'm not saying that any of the points people have said are wrong, but I just find it hard to believe a Torts coached team is going to let a college player walk on the team without earning his way. In a perfect world he comes on the third line right away and puts up points right away in the playoffs..... but my realistic world says thats not going to happen.

I am a big Kreider fan, I'm just trying to temper the expectations of some people on this board...AND also temper the fans that are going to call out Torts for not playing Kreider out of the gate, he simply hasn't earned it any kind of playing time yet.... I'm ready to eat a buffet of crow, believe me

Old
04-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I think it shows the Rangers are going for it this yr. Fact is if someone went down who was going to step in? Scott or a call up like Newbury, Wellman?...........Kreider is a risk but with Zuccarello hurt it could pay off
I agree Vitto. At worst, he's the best reserve player the organization has at their disposal. When you're serious and ready, you cover all your bases.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Baby Punisher

Excellent!

Looking forward to seeing play & develop. Good things ahead my HF friends, good things.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:43 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Nobody wants to talk about the prospects for injuries throughout the grueling playoffs... Even if the 'plan' wasn't to utilize Kreider immediately in the line-up, they'd need him on the roster in the event that we lose a forward, he's the 1st option.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Richter35

He plays after the first loss and no sooner is my guess. Will need some time to get up to speed with the system

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote