HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ottawa 2012 concerts/festivals

Old
04-01-2012, 07:39 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 10639
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
There hasn't been a decent band that's played at Barrymore's in 10+ years. The owner is more interested in bringing in tattooed guido ****** canoes to drink grey goose and listen to crappy DJs.
Haha. Well everybody has their own tastes in music. They've been bringing DJ's from all over the world almost every 2 weeks for the last 3 months and it's been great.

WAYYY more space than ritual...

mat_sens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Ohhh Franco

vCash: 500
Quote:
There hasn't been a decent band that's played at Barrymore's in 10+ years. The owner is more interested in bringing in tattooed guido ****** canoes to drink grey goose and listen to crappy DJs.
Im pretty sure that ********* George guy recently sold the place. He was way more interested in the party bar theme and ****ing 21 year old girls in his office.

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:54 PM
HarveySpecter

Quote:
Dirty South, sander van doorn and Laidback Luke are all crappy DJ's apparently..

HarveySpecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:55 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intangibles View Post
Dirty South, sander van doorn and Laidback Luke are all crappy DJ's apparently..
Thank you

Old
04-01-2012, 09:25 PM
DrEasy
Get well soon, BM!

vCash: 840
Have to agree though that Barrymore's is too good a venue to be used the way it is. I remember back in the late 90s (yup, I'm old) when bands like Guided by Voices, Suede or Tortoise played there. For some reason good shows gradually moved over to Babylon's, and potentially great concerts (Bonnie Prince Billy, Damon & Naomi, Yo La Tengo) were ruined because you either couldn't see the band (stuck behind a pillar or the obligatory gigantic dude) or hear them (all the loud conversations at the back).

Probably there just wasn't enough audience for those kinds of bands anymore, so it was only interesting for smaller venues to have them.

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Ohhh Franco

Looks like the Escapade Festival line up will be announced tomorrow afternoon.

https://twitter.com/#!/EscapadeMF

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 08:54 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco View Post
Looks like the Escapade Festival line up will be announced tomorrow afternoon.

https://twitter.com/#!/EscapadeMF
So it was announced today. INSANE LINEUP. Will definitely be the biggest EDM festival in Canada on Canada Day.

Includes Avicii, Afrojack, Alesso, Dada Life, Chuckie, Thomas GOld, Sander Van Doorn, r3hab, Gareth Emery, Tommy Trash and more...

I still can't believe it...

Old
04-06-2012, 09:41 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Here the poster :

Old
04-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 50
Chris De Burgh

Marvelous Manked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:55 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

So who's buying their Escapade Music Festival tickets tomorrow?

Old
04-10-2012, 10:31 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

@ the Canadian aviation Museum? How's that gonna work?

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intangibles View Post
Most of the DJs that play in clubs are wholly uninteresting to me.

I think the orignial post was meant more of as a "DJs blow". A bit harsh, but I can't say I disagree, Club DJs are a snore fest to me and a lot of other people.
A shame that so many unbelievably attractive and nice girls love them....

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:08 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Still no Metallica. Omni is disappoint.

OmniSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Upgrayedd

Any real music coming through Ottawa, you know the stuff played with musical instruments?

Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:46 AM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Most of the DJs that play in clubs are wholly uninteresting to me.

I think the orignial post was meant more of as a "DJs blow". A bit harsh, but I can't say I disagree, Club DJs are a snore fest to me and a lot of other people.
A shame that so many unbelievably attractive and nice girls love them....
Thing is, people don't understand that they aren't just ''DJ's''. They are the ones that create most of the music we hear these days. They do much more than pressing play, you have to understand it to enjoy it. Everybody has their own tastes and that's fine.

Classic music, country, etc. is a snore fest to me and a lot of other people as well.

Old
04-11-2012, 11:55 AM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Quote:
@ the Canadian aviation Museum? How's that gonna work?
Lot's of space, able to do Fireworks and curfew later than 11pm (compared to Bluesfest).

They are setting up shuttles and more OCTranspo buses for the event.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Smash88

vCash: 50
Did anyone hear what the concert announcement on the Bear this morning was?

I heard them say there was a concert announcement but I guess I missed the actual announcement.. LOL

Smash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
Thing is, people don't understand that they aren't just ''DJ's''. They are the ones that create most of the music we hear these days. They do much more than pressing play, you have to understand it to enjoy it. Everybody has their own tastes and that's fine.

Classic music, country, etc. is a snore fest to me and a lot of other people as well.
I'm pretty open minded when it comes to music really, except when it comes to techno, house, jungle, etc.... ie DJ music... the stuff gets dated so quickly, and there's very little to distinguish one computer programmer, sorry, DJ from another. However, I admit that that may have something to do with my dislike of the genre though.

In all honesty I think techno music (which is what I believe you are referring too), is simply just a more sophisticated version of boy bands in the sense that acts come and go fairly quickly, and relatively few remain relevant (note: becoming a novelty act does not count). Furthermore, it does not lead itself to crossing the generational gap, like most other forms of music can and do. While a Metallica or Neil Young concert will have 16 year olds and 60 year olds, or even an independent punk bands that come through town has people between 16 and late 30s....I just don't see alot of people outside of the 18-25 age bracket really caring about this kind of music. I think its too one-dimensional, and lacks any real message.

Is it successful? Yeah, not denying that. I went to an electronica festival in Australia with Chemical Brothers, and a bunch of others. I gave it a shot, and was pretty bored after half a set. I love seeing live music, but djs behind a computer makes for a pretty lame show. Throw lasers and lightshows, and crank the volume to 11, there's still no direct interaction with a crowd.

Big Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:40 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Papi View Post
I'm pretty open minded when it comes to music really, except when it comes to techno, house, jungle, etc.... ie DJ music... the stuff gets dated so quickly, and there's very little to distinguish one computer programmer, sorry, DJ from another. However, I admit that that may have something to do with my dislike of the genre though.

In all honesty I think techno music (which is what I believe you are referring too), is simply just a more sophisticated version of boy bands in the sense that acts come and go fairly quickly, and relatively few remain relevant (note: becoming a novelty act does not count). Furthermore, it does not lead itself to crossing the generational gap, like most other forms of music can and do. While a Metallica or Neil Young concert will have 16 year olds and 60 year olds, or even an independent punk bands that come through town has people between 16 and late 30s....I just don't see alot of people outside of the 18-25 age bracket really caring about this kind of music. I think its too one-dimensional, and lacks any real message.

Is it successful? Yeah, not denying that. I went to an electronica festival in Australia with Chemical Brothers, and a bunch of others. I gave it a shot, and was pretty bored after half a set. I love seeing live music, but djs behind a computer makes for a pretty lame show. Throw lasers and lightshows, and crank the volume to 11, there's still no direct interaction with a crowd.
EDM has actually been really popular in Europe way before. Having been to Ibiza, I must say that the genre is to a lot more than 25 year olds. EDM has been here for a long time, it's just now starting to grow.

As far as boy bands go, I have to disagree with this as well. It's normal that there's less ''vintage'' producers out there since EDM hasn't been here as long as rock and other genre. But there are still a lot of producers that had success in the past and still do. David Guetta, Benny Benassi, Daft Punk, Armin Van Buuren, Markus Shulz to name a few.

It all comes down to what you like though...I've been to Rock concerts, country and name it. Found it pretty boring because I'm not a big fan. But I've to ALOT of EDM events and loved them all. Again the thing people don't realize is that they don't ''play'' on their computer. That computer we are talking about is their instrument and can be compared to guitar, a piano, etc.

Old
04-11-2012, 03:19 PM
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?

Quote:
EDM has actually been really popular in Europe way before. Having been to Ibiza, I must say that the genre is to a lot more than 25 year olds. EDM has been here for a long time, it's just now starting to grow.

As far as boy bands go, I have to disagree with this as well. It's normal that there's less ''vintage'' producers out there since EDM hasn't been here as long as rock and other genre. But there are still a lot of producers that had success in the past and still do. David Guetta, Benny Benassi, Daft Punk, Armin Van Buuren, Markus Shulz to name a few.

It all comes down to what you like though...I've been to Rock concerts, country and name it. Found it pretty boring because I'm not a big fan. But I've to ALOT of EDM events and loved them all. Again the thing people don't realize is that they don't ''play'' on their computer. That computer we are talking about is their instrument and can be compared to guitar, a piano, etc.
damn Europe, first they infest North America with disease, then soccer, now techno.... I guess Alfie and Karlsson make up for it...

can a computer be an instrument? logically yes, but so can a rubber band. I just don't think you can compare a guitar and a computer. A person playing guitar in a live setting is generating 'new' sound in that moment. It is not prerecorded, like the majority of what comes out of a computer. Thats not to say that DJs are Ashlee Simpson ala SNL, and don't do anything live, other than press play, I know they are not limited in that sense. I think alot of it has to do with the type of music I like (ie stripped-down), but you can't replicate the look, feel or sound of a good guitar player, or a piano player on a computer. As limitless as digital may be, there is a huge difference in the sound, which IMO is way way to polished and pitch perfect. But thats straying from the topic, cause that issue is found in all the genres now...

I remember a guy at the Super Ex who would play hair metal songs as a one man band. It was entertaining, but not terribly exciting. It may just be that I am sold on what convention says a band should be, i.e. each member playing up to two instruments at a time. Whereas it seems a dj just fiddles with nobs to loop, sample and set...I'll give it up to them for multi-tasking, no doubt, but do you think djing is on par with playing a 'conventional' instrument like a piano or guitar?

As for the demographic of the genre, I didn't say that it was completely restricted to a young demographic, just that the vast majority of people who go to those festivals are young, and have certainly not been listening to it since the 80s, nor likely know who Kraftwerk is.

I'm not trying to be harsh, I just find the music gimmicky, repetitive and destined for TV car commercials. You probably feel the same way about the music I listen too, which is fine.

Old
04-11-2012, 06:41 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Ottawa Jazz Fest artists announced. A few headliners...

- Janelle MonŠe
- Esperanza Spalding
- Ziggy Marley
- Darryl Hall

June 21 to July 1 at Confederation Park. Full fest passes start at $175. Daily tickets are about $50.

http://ottawajazzfestival.com/

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:44 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:

Now now I never said DJs are talentless hacks.
I love a ton of electronic music (Four Tet, Aphex Twin, Bola, Boards of Canada, Gotan Project etc) but I'll be the first to admit I'm a bit of a snob: I'm a musician so I am very demanding when it comes to music. I find Club DJs to lack variety when it comes to rhythm: most of the songs all have the same 4/4 structure, the only thing that changes are the tones.
That's not a bad thing: I am a snob and not everyone listens to music for the same reasons or the same way; but I can't stand listening to the stuff for more than an hour at most.

Old
04-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEasy View Post
Have to agree though that Barrymore's is too good a venue to be used the way it is. I remember back in the late 90s (yup, I'm old) when bands like Guided by Voices, Suede or Tortoise played there. For some reason good shows gradually moved over to Babylon's, and potentially great concerts (Bonnie Prince Billy, Damon & Naomi, Yo La Tengo) were ruined because you either couldn't see the band (stuck behind a pillar or the obligatory gigantic dude) or hear them (all the loud conversations at the back).

Probably there just wasn't enough audience for those kinds of bands anymore, so it was only interesting for smaller venues to have them.
My understanding is back in the hey day of the 90s, it was co-owned by Eugene from Zaphods, and some other dude. They also co-owned Zaphods and the short lived Zaphods 2 on Bank. There was some sort of falling out, and Eugene got (and still has Zaphods) and the other dude got Barrymore's.

Also, a little time after that a bigger venue opened at the old RJ's/liqourdome (now torn down and condos), called Capital Music Hall (I think). They held about 1000, Barrymore's holds about 500. After that music hall got torn down, it moved to a smaller, ****** venue by York I think, and never reallly survived long.

Barrymore's was a great live venue, holding Radiohead, Headstones, Moist, Rusty, gob, U2, etc,etc.... what a shame!

Old
04-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Papi View Post
My understanding is back in the hey day of the 90s, it was co-owned by Eugene from Zaphods, and some other dude. They also co-owned Zaphods and the short lived Zaphods 2 on Bank. There was some sort of falling out, and Eugene got (and still has Zaphods) and the other dude got Barrymore's.

Also, a little time after that a bigger venue opened at the old RJ's/liqourdome (now torn down and condos), called Capital Music Hall (I think). They held about 1000, Barrymore's holds about 500. After that music hall got torn down, it moved to a smaller, ****** venue by York I think, and never reallly survived long.

Barrymore's was a great live venue, holding Radiohead, Headstones, Moist, Rusty, gob, U2, etc,etc.... what a shame!
Things change, DJs are in now. It isn't a shame: Barrymore's is still around and still making money. My friend played a show there not that long ago as a soul band and the place had plenty of people so it's not like it's all electro.
We're old, the new is coming in like it was when we were younger.

Old
04-11-2012, 08:46 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Things change, DJs are in now. It isn't a shame: Barrymore's is still around and still making money. My friend played a show there not that long ago as a soul band and the place had plenty of people so it's not like it's all electro.
We're old, the new is coming in like it was when we were younger.
Yeah it's definitely packed when a EDM event is on!