HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Benoit Pouliot: "happy to be out of there"

Old
04-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
and how was he playing before that? To stand up and say that when he's been off himself isn't a good thing.
that's ********. To speak up that you're ashamed that you and the rest of the team is underperforming IS the mark of a true leader and the fact he got traded for it is exactly why finished last this season.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:35 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
that's ********. To speak up that you're ashamed that you and the rest of the team is underperforming IS the mark of a true leader and the fact he got traded for it is exactly why finished last this season.
Thing is, cammalleri was talking for a while before those comments and still didn't deliver. It's completely different if he stepped up and didn't get a chance to show what he's got but he stepped up several times and said "we need to be better" and came out flat as hell while the others played well. I actually like cammy and wanted him as our captain at first but let's call it for what it is, he wasn't perfect and spoke too much at times without backing it up. He played the media and PR perfectly. "we need to be better" "not good enough" all the things that we want to hear, but rarely the things we want to see in the regular season.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:36 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I remember some of your fans burned cars and trashed store shops beating us .... in the first round.

Look seriously you can't claim that Boston's coach got Ryder to play well .... because he played just as well in Dallas this year and if he had not had all that pressure in Montreal would have played well there as well.

it is just my opinion, I'm no expert but it seems many players who were good before going to Montreal suck once there and after players leave they turn into great players. .... just saying what I see.
Another example of boston fans digging up some controversy from Montreal and making it bigger than it was.

Do you actually know what the story was behind those cop cars? No? Didn't think so.

As for Ryder, I was in no way taking anything away from him, just saying he had a slump in montreal.

One thing you have to understand is that when you're made a god in this city (and just accept it, no matter how much Lucic reminds people of Neely, he will never be revered like Subban or Price), it can affect you. That's why we have to get the right players with the right attitude. Guys like Pacioretty, Cole, Desharnais (pretty obvious), Pleks, Eller, Leblanc (guy has been all work not attitude), Gorges, Markov (btw both missing in last series) and Price seem to me to know how to beat the pressure cooker. Oh and Gionta, who btw is an excellent captain. PK lets stuff slide more than any player I can think of so as much controversy as he generates, I have no doubt his heart is in the right place and in fact his personality will help him here.

The people who left and were quoted did NOT have that same quality. They whined and were not the type to give 100% every game. They just weren't. So they went from being so highly regarded, to slumping, to feeling less appreciated, to blaming someone else and on and on.

Playing in Montreal is a double edged sword, everyone knows that. If you can take it, there is no better place to play. Attitude is everything.

Remember the seasons the bruins used to come first in the conf and get popped by us? That was not good locker room stuff IIRC. Losing sucks. I wonder what the Habs environment would be if we had the equivalent of Jack Edwards to brainwash fans into seeing stuff that wasn't there. No joke, he might be one of the biggest assets to the organization's marketing.

Also, aside from Leclair, this whole, players go elsewhere and only THEN are they good is misleading. They could have put up great numbers in Montreal too (see Micheal Ryder). I don't miss Ribs at all. Which players are you talking about who became amazing elsewhere but who were never good in Montreal and have they been consistent? I'll tell you if I'd take them on the Habs today.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:42 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Many people are retarded. Riots have happened in boston as well.

As for Ryder, like I said, he had some of his best years in montreal so not sure how it applies.
Ryder is STILL producing. .... riots in Boston, really? When was this??

When we lost the Stanley Cups we lost? When the Red Sox lost the World Series they lost?? Boston was burned to the ground this past winter when the patriots lost the Super Bowl?? We rioted when we won the Stanley Cups we won? World series? etc .... seriously please.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:43 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
yes, things have been crazy around the team for awhile (but actually not THAT long).

Find me another team whose media seek out former players of the cultural background controversially linked with political interests to the team and said media to such a ridiculous degree.

Things have also been good here. We've had some great times in the last few years, and we have more to come.

Spacek - loved the team, hated the French controversy (that's the media, not the team)

Lats - was perhaps sort of right about Carbo communication, but it was also his fault he didn't do a lot of things he does now that he's not the heir to the city

Laps - hasn't said anything too rotten, was disgruntled about ice time, fair enough

Ribs - total loser (and I really liked him when he was here before the end). The whole selfishness thing actually makes me forgive the Ninimaafication of the deal. Guy had to be shipped out ASAP and I gather Dallas feels the same

Boullion - don't think he really said anything too horrible, just that coming to the rink is easier in NSH. You think he wouldn't jump at the chance to wear the CH again?

The point is these guys all had people not only willing to listen, but seeking them out to elicit negativity and turn it into hyperbolic vitriol. Things aren't even that bad with this team. We ourselves make it out to be worse + the media and it's a constant feedback loop. I actually can't envision L'antichambre or JdM with the Habs playing great. I remember the Gazette articles when we were playing the Pens. So much awesomeness. Wasn't that long ago. The way I see it, with the Habs, there's so much reason to expect good things given the attitudes of the young core we have. Imagine if you're a Leaf fan after this season. Even drafting Yakupov and signing Nash...deep down you know you're missing the playoffs somehow.

I personally don't think Gauthier's moves were horrific. In fact I'm thankful for many of them. They will bear fruit in the near future, but he won't be credited (same with Gainey). That being said, I do agree that the way he handled things wasn't at the level expected of the Montreal Canadiens GM. He's gone, we're apparently looking for someone perfect, so reason to be happy. FTR, players during Gainey's tenure, if they had a problem, it was with Carbo, not Gainey.

The one thing that I heard in the last few days that made me very positive was how positive Carey was about this team and the direction he thinks it's headed. He probably has the best idea about all this AND if there's one person who should hate everything about this god-awful season, it's him.
Dude, there were issues from the top down and that included Gainey as well. Seriously, it is clear as day to see. The organization's reputation has really fallen off over the last number of years. It's odd when so many players complain about the same exact thing. Then you have the story about Robinson not even getting a call back, or not making room for Muller in Hamilton. Team was poorly run (especially under Gauthier)....Martin is a good coach but was not the right coach. Lack of communication which is something young players absolutely need.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:44 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Also, why in the hell are Bruins fans over here? We can't even so much as breathe on their board. GTFO?

Old
04-10-2012, 11:45 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Thing is, cammalleri was talking for a while before those comments and still didn't deliver. It's completely different if he stepped up and didn't get a chance to show what he's got but he stepped up several times and said "we need to be better" and came out flat as hell while the others played well. I actually like cammy and wanted him as our captain at first but let's call it for what it is, he wasn't perfect and spoke too much at times without backing it up. He played the media and PR perfectly. "we need to be better" "not good enough" all the things that we want to hear, but rarely the things we want to see in the regular season.
I love it. the guy rips it up in the playoffs 2 years in a row and then has a bad start to the season (which also saw him get hurt a few times) and then shows shame in losing and we drop him the first chance we get for the laziest sack of **** since Pouliot. That trade demonstrated perfectly why we suck. We needed more Cammalleris and fewer Bourques.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:46 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
I love it. the guy rips it up in the playoffs 2 years in a row and then has a bad start to the season (which also saw him get hurt a few times) and then shows shame in losing and we drop him the first chance we get for the laziest sack of **** since Pouliot. That trade demonstrated perfectly why we suck. We needed more Cammalleris and fewer Bourques.
Never said I like bourque and I never said I dislike cammy and that he wasn't a playoff beast.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:48 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Ryder is STILL producing. .... riots in Boston, really? Whan was this??
LOL this is actually worse

http://boston.sbnation.com/new-engla...-patriots-loss

also, how does a USA chant make ANY sense here???

yes, Ryder is still producing and he produced in Montreal too. You said players suck in Montreal then go elsewhere and are amazing! Players move around, get traded for various reasons even if they've been good. Ryder couldn't keep up his pace in Montreal. He was replaced. Cammy was great here for two seasons. He's gone. I'm sure he'll score more goals.

Would I want Ryder on the Habs now? No, because he needs to be a guy who is already on a good established team and when the chips are down, I wouldn't turn to him. We need guys who are ready to play for a rebuilding team and that takes more character than Ryder has. He's great for Dallas and good for him. I don't think he'd be good for us. A guy like Cole is the perfect example to contrast to someone like Bourque. Both have scored many goals before. One of them knows how to do it in Montreal...so far.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Never said I like bourque and I never said I dislike cammy and that he wasn't a playoff beast.
Cammalleri more than earned his right to criticize the team and its not like he was excluding himself from his own criticism.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:50 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Dude, I'm with you all the way. Cammy should have never been traded, IMO. I actually liked what he said.

Ryder was a 30 goal guy...he had a rough last year and was discarded like a piece of garbage while being scratched in the playoffs. Fans turned on him so quickly.

Also, Pouillot could have been easily used on the 3rd line but it was top 6 or bust for the Habs....so he was discarded... just over a year after trading a pretty decent player in Latendresse. This is why I'm so happy there was a house cleaning.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:53 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Dude, there were issues from the top down and that included Gainey as well. Seriously, it is clear as day to see. The organization's reputation has really fallen off over the last number of years. It's odd when so many players complain about the same exact thing. Then you have the story about Robinson not even getting a call back, or not making room for Muller in Hamilton. Team was poorly run (especially under Gauthier)....Martin is a good coach but was not the right coach. Lack of communication which is something young players absolutely need.
I don't disagree. Look where I said Gauthier handled things badly. The things you mention above are included. The MOVES he made, though, were not IMO horrible. Martin took us to the ECF. We were a team in transition and he was good for us. When Martin took over, it wasn't young players, that was this year and yeah, it didn't work out perfectly, hence the chance. It's a new stage and we're evolving.

People really forget about the good times under Gainey. Maybe 2 season at most weren't the best, but overall we emerged from massive suckitude.

I don't buy this whole reputation thing. It's still one of the proudest franchises, with such loyal fans and something to aspire to. Gauthier's folly with dealing with things was unfortunate, but whatever, it was a blip. No irreperable damage. We still have all the players I want going forward. My biggest disappointment was actually trading AK. I just don't get why people keep trying to devise trades for Getzlaf, but aren't super p'ssd we didn't re-sign AK (now THAT was a mistake...he was very good here, he'll be very good in NSH and elsewhere).

Old
04-10-2012, 11:53 PM
BBB24

Quote:
Another example of boston fans digging up some controversy from Montreal and making it bigger than it was.

Do you actually know what the story was behind those cop cars? No? Didn't think so.

As for Ryder, I was in no way taking anything away from him, just saying he had a slump in montreal.

One thing you have to understand is that when you're made a god in this city (and just accept it, no matter how much Lucic reminds people of Neely, he will never be revered like Subban or Price), it can affect you. That's why we have to get the right players with the right attitude. Guys like Pacioretty, Cole, Desharnais (pretty obvious), Pleks, Eller, Leblanc (guy has been all work not attitude), Gorges, Markov (btw both missing in last series) and Price seem to me to know how to beat the pressure cooker. Oh and Gionta, who btw is an excellent captain. PK lets stuff slide more than any player I can think of so as much controversy as he generates, I have no doubt his heart is in the right place and in fact his personality will help him here.

The people who left and were quoted did NOT have that same quality. They whined and were not the type to give 100% every game. They just weren't. So they went from being so highly regarded, to slumping, to feeling less appreciated, to blaming someone else and on and on.

Playing in Montreal is a double edged sword, everyone knows that. If you can take it, there is no better place to play. Attitude is everything.

Remember the seasons the bruins used to come first in the conf and get popped by us? That was not good locker room stuff IIRC. Losing sucks. I wonder what the Habs environment would be if we had the equivalent of Jack Edwards to brainwash fans into seeing stuff that wasn't there. No joke, he might be one of the biggest assets to the organization's marketing.

Also, aside from Leclair, this whole, players go elsewhere and only THEN are they good is misleading. They could have put up great numbers in Montreal too (see Micheal Ryder). I don't miss Ribs at all. Which players are you talking about who became amazing elsewhere but who were never good in Montreal and have they been consistent? I'll tell you if I'd take them on the Habs today.
Good god, do you listen to yourself, man, believe it or not the Habs are no where near as relevant to the NHL as you seem to believe they are. The league does not start and stop with them. Every team has players who are revered as much as your precious Price and Subban, Lucic is god in Boston, Iginla is God in Calgary, Lundquist is King in NY, see where I am going. Remember when the Bruins swept the habs 4-0 in their centennial year, lol, last year spotted them the first two games then won four of the next five, then the cup. 1993.

BBB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:54 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Ryder is STILL producing. .... riots in Boston, really? When was this??

When we lost the Stanley Cups we lost? When the Red Sox lost the World Series they lost?? Boston was burned to the ground this past winter when the patriots lost the Super Bowl?? We rioted when we won the Stanley Cups we won? World series? etc .... seriously please.
Again, Ryder is still producing and was in montreal. So...doesn't that defeat your argument?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1256472.html

http://youbeenblinded.com/boston-cel...r-victory/1316

http://amerika.nu/amerika.php?id=174

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMbi0...layer_embedded

It goes on.

Either way, I suppose those who did not get a chance to riot must've vented in another capacity considering the violent crime rate in boston is greater than all that of Quebec combined.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:56 PM
SonOfGom

Quote:

yes, Ryder is still producing and he produced in Montreal too. You said players suck in Montreal then go elsewhere and are amazing! Players move around, get traded for various reasons even if they've been good. Ryder couldn't keep up his pace in Montreal. He was replaced. Cammy was great here for two seasons. He's gone. I'm sure he'll score more goals.

Would I want Ryder on the Habs now? No, because he needs to be a guy who is already on a good established team and when the chips are down, I wouldn't turn to him. We need guys who are ready to play for a rebuilding team and that takes more character than Ryder has. He's great for Dallas and good for him. I don't think he'd be good for us. A guy like Cole is the perfect example to contrast to someone like Bourque. Both have scored many goals before. One of them knows how to do it in Montreal...so far.
LOL, U-S-A chant...
College kids, the future is in safe hands

And seeing the post above mine, I'm guessing the bruins fan won't say anything.

SonOfGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:57 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:

One riot vindicates your statement huh? I don't think so.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:57 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
I'm damned happy he plays for us. He's a great player .... it amazes me the pressures in Montreal and how so many players under perform and then say they were glad to get out of there. I think things should calm down there by the press mainly and let the boys play hockey. Who the hell wants to have 2 assists and then be grilled post game in the lockroom as to why they can't score goals???? Things like that happen and it's shameful, honestly a proud Montreal fanbase like that shouldn't put up with this any longer.

This goes back to so many great players "leaving" Montreal. Patrick Roy comes to mind ... one of the greatest tenders the league has seen and he was disrespected and he told them he was all done and left. Why does that stuff always seem to happen there?

Ryder was so awesome for us too .... I was so sad to see him go to Dallas.
Ryder had other issues... I'm glad he's put them behind him. But he had stuff to deal with before he could put his career back on track.
Quote:
Cammalleri more than earned his right to criticize the team and its not like he was excluding himself from his own criticism.
Cammy trade was terrible. And you're absolutely right on this. PG was such a tool.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:59 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Look, I don't disagree but his performances were getting worse and we weren't a playoff team. I would've rather traded gionta but he was injured. We needed to get bigger and do a retool. It came at the expense of cammy.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:01 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Look, I don't disagree but his performances were getting worse and we weren't a playoff team. I would've rather traded gionta but he was injured. We needed to get bigger and do a retool. It came at the expense of cammy.
By all means trade him. But don't dump him for nothing. And that's what we did.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:01 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
By all means trade him. But don't dump him for nothing. And that's what we did.
Not arguing that. Management sucked.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:02 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
I don't disagree. Look where I said Gauthier handled things badly. The things you mention above are included. The MOVES he made, though, were not IMO horrible. Martin took us to the ECF. We were a team in transition and he was good for us. When Martin took over, it wasn't young players, that was this year and yeah, it didn't work out perfectly, hence the chance. It's a new stage and we're evolving.

People really forget about the good times under Gainey. Maybe 2 season at most weren't the best, but overall we emerged from massive suckitude.

I don't buy this whole reputation thing. It's still one of the proudest franchises, with such loyal fans and something to aspire to. Gauthier's folly with dealing with things was unfortunate, but whatever, it was a blip. No irreperable damage. We still have all the players I want going forward. My biggest disappointment was actually trading AK. I just don't get why people keep trying to devise trades for Getzlaf, but aren't super p'ssd we didn't re-sign AK (now THAT was a mistake...he was very good here, he'll be very good in NSH and elsewhere).
It's not about forgetting the good times. We finished 28th in the league. C'mon.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:04 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Dude, I'm with you all the way. Cammy should have never been traded, IMO. I actually liked what he said.

Ryder was a 30 goal guy...he had a rough last year and was discarded like a piece of garbage while being scratched in the playoffs. Fans turned on him so quickly.

Also, Pouillot could have been easily used on the 3rd line but it was top 6 or bust for the Habs....so he was discarded... just over a year after trading a pretty decent player in Latendresse. This is why I'm so happy there was a house cleaning.
I'm with you on the fact that Cammy's comments were perfectly fine. I'm not sure that he was going to be an effective fwd for us at that price tag though. I loved Cammy. It was sad to see his decline.

I don't think the fans really turned on Ryder. He was visibly not caring and it was that year with all the injuries where you have to step up for your team (see my point about his character) and it was all caught up in that terrible end to the season, going into that series with Boston with a battered team and a young fragile Price (oh, and yeah our D sucked too....Komi without Markov). As I remember, Ryder didn't really give two ***** and my guess is that it wasn't appreciated by Gainey who was the interim coach at the time. Say what you want about the Gomez deal, but Gainey knows how to evaluate a player's commitment to the team.

Lats trade was meh. He wasn't doing much in a role he should have just accepted (and IMO did when he went to Minny). Personally, I liked Pouliot. If you go back, you'll see I used to post about him not getting enough ice time and that he did put up a decent number of points. Then again, he's definitely not the player you want around when times are tough, which could also be a rebuild (thus his comments recently...can't take the going when it gets tough).

Think of it more as a lot of things are happening right now that have to happen for us to truly move forward. I don't think we've been in a state of perpetual disarray like it's been made out to be. Two years ago we were in the ECF. In the process, we've developed in some younger players the understanding of what it takes to win. This year, more development that will help us if we stay the right course.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:06 AM
habtastic

Quote:
One riot vindicates your statement huh? I don't think so.
but it vindicates yours?

also did you read that? It mentioned multiple riots.

Also back to the cars burning, you still are unaware of the truth behind that.

What is your point? That riots occur in Montreal but not Boston. If so, you're quite incorrect.
YOU are the one who brought up rioting. It seems like there are more in Boston. Just sayin.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:13 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB24 View Post
Good god, do you listen to yourself, man, believe it or not the Habs are no where near as relevant to the NHL as you seem to believe they are. The league does not start and stop with them. Every team has players who are revered as much as your precious Price and Subban, Lucic is god in Boston, Iginla is God in Calgary, Lundquist is King in NY, see where I am going. Remember when the Bruins swept the habs 4-0 in their centennial year, lol, last year spotted them the first two games then won four of the next five, then the cup. 1993.
wow did you ever miss the point

revered IN Montreal (as in hockey players are granted god status on a far higher level in Montreal than any other city). The opposite can be true too.

The point was about how the local media reacts to them, not NHL.com.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:14 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
but it vindicates yours?

also did you read that? It mentioned multiple riots.

Also back to the cars burning, you still are unaware of the truth behind that.

What is your point? That riots occur in Montreal but not Boston. If so, you're quite incorrect.
YOU are the one who brought up rioting. It seems like there are more in Boston. Just sayin.
Doesn't know what he's talking about. I actually thought he was coming to talk hockey, was clearly mistaken. Seems like another bruins fan upset that the canadiens owned his team for their history.