HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Warmington: Burke tarnishing Leafs' brand

Old
04-11-2012, 03:33 AM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
Warmington: Burke tarnishing Leafs' brand

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/10...ng-leafs-brand

Quote:
The legendary Toronto Maple Leafs boss was a Sunday school teacher, an elder in his church, has his name on the Stanley Cup eight times and his tie was never seen publicly out of place. It might be time for current Maple Leafs boss to go back and study how a true sportsman, gentleman, statesman and professional acts.

This season’s Burke antics are just not helping the Leafs’ prestigious brand — everything from calling media “scum bags” and “bastards” to those who ask “gutless and ignorant” questions to his widely criticized “quietly and professionally” approaching the CBC over Don Cherry and Ron MacLean on Hockey Night in Canada.

Would Mayor Rob Ford be able to get up on a podium and take the Lord’s name in vain and get away with it? How about Cherry?

Burke did it Tuesday but it was tame compared to how he acted at a Rotman School of business seminar in January where he used phrases like “Jesus Murphy, Jesus Christ and you are out of your God damned mind” to illustrate his point.

That stuff may be acceptable in the dressing room but is better tolerated when there are playoff games.

But in Burke’s case what often comes out of his mouth seems boorish, uncouth — and just plain rude.
Quote:
Still with new ownership coming in, sources say, there is concern over the $1-billion franchise being used as Burke’s own personal stage show and that it might be time to consider replacing the conductor on this runaway train before it starts to affect people in current positions who will be replaced themselves for not reigning him in.

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:40 AM
Sonny21
Registerd User

vCash: 50
See the thing is, I get the Sun doesn't like Burke and vise verse and that's really fine. However when you let that influence the work you do, then they're just watering down they're own product.

I am very critical of Burke and don't mind anyone else being as well as they have every right to be, but it was hard reading that with all the bitterness that was written with.

Also; sources my ass.

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:45 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

Ridiculous.

This is just piling on, selling papers, etc…

And there is an obvious grudge in the writing...

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:49 AM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

Terrible article. Oh no, Burke used some words that aren't acceptable at church. Whoopdeedoo, he's pissed off as he should be, cause he ****ed up.

I seriously don't care who keeps their job at this point, I'm just tired of this team sucking.

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 04:18 AM
lovecat

With a thread title like this, OP must work for the sun
MLSE publicly endorsed Burke in their sorry letter, he is not going anywhere right now. Also, this article is just terrible wow

lovecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 05:03 AM
samwitch

Are they really making a big deal about saying "god damn"? People need to loosen up a bit...

samwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 05:32 AM
Yosho
Logic

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 05:43 AM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

What a tool he is.... "Perhaps Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Chair Larry Tanenbaum will have to take out another full-page, open-letter apology — this time not for his president’s failing hockey program but for his pathetic lack of basic respect and manners toward God fearing people and entry level etiquette?" ... Wow, really??

Burke did it Tuesday but it was tame compared to how he acted at a Rotman School of business seminar in January where he used phrases like “Jesus Murphy, Jesus Christ and you are out of your God damned mind” to illustrate his point.

That stuff may be acceptable in the dressing room but is better tolerated when there are playoff games.

But in Burke’s case what often comes out of his mouth seems boorish, uncouth — and just plain rude.

It's not how they died that made them heroes, it's how they lived, putting others safety 1st, each & every day. Thanks Toronto police for keeping us safe. -RIP Sgt. Ryan Russell, Const. Garrett Styles.

Last edited by crump: 04-11-2012 at 06:09 AM.
LeafsGuru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 06:46 AM
dubplatepressure

Not just that, but the Rotman thing was IMO a solid interview, and just another example of the philanthropic side of Burke.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 06:50 AM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 50

another butt hurt reporter upset that Burke didnt respond to his questions

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 06:52 AM
Tweekin
Too much Pressure!

Lord 'tunderin jesus what a stupid article

Tweekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 06:57 AM
K19*

I certainly wouldn't even entertain the thought of firing him over it, but I do agree it's a little unprofessional.

K19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 06:59 AM
OlderTimer*

This is getting pathetic, I can't imagine any person having to take this abuse on a daily basis for doing a job no matter what that job is. It seems to me that if Burke gets fired most of these reporters will have nothing to write about and be on the unemployment line.

Unbelievable.

OlderTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:00 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
See the thing is, I get the Sun doesn't like Burke and vise verse and that's really fine. However when you let that influence the work you do, then they're just watering down they're own product.

I am very critical of Burke and don't mind anyone else being as well as they have every right to be, but it was hard reading that with all the bitterness that was written with.

Also; sources my ass.
he took the lords name in vain during the news conference ....my wife didnt appreciate it ......id fire him if i was boss ..u talk about class?he is classy when he chooses ......NOT 1 gm in any other city gets away with this mediocrity ....id fire him

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:09 AM
MoeMoney

Ah yes the Sun really does set the standard for etiquette and integrity dont they? Give me a god damn break, Burke wipes my a$$ with what this amateur thinks, these media types are bitter Burke outsmarts them and counters their ridiculous questions not letting them apply their slimeball tactics to put words in his mouth. Burke is more honourable and respected than freeloader media hacks and nothing some chump writing for a comic book carries any weight other than the spare tire around this clowns waste.

MoeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:11 AM
rumman

I'm not personally offended by Burke's language choices, but it does illustrate how manners and public appearance have declined over the years. Conn Smythe wouldn't let you into the Gardens if you weren't wearing a suit (or dress for the ladies) and never would have wore his tie loose let alone draped around his neck like Burke does, he should just skip the tie, he'd look better than the drape he favours. That being said, Burke has bigger problems than the way he looks, talks.

rumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:15 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumman View Post
I'm not personally offended by Burke's language choices, but it does illustrate how manners and public appearance have declined over the years. Conn Smythe wouldn't let you into the Gardens if you weren't wearing a suit (or dress for the ladies) and never would have wore his tie loose let alone draped around his neck like Burke does, he should just skip the tie, he'd look better than the drape he favours. That being said, Burke has bigger problems than the way he looks, talks.
How old is Conn Smythe? Dress code isn't the only thing that's changed in the World in this time.

DirtyDion03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:24 AM
birddog*

What he is saying is that Burke's abrasive nature has rubbed fans, media and others in the sport (Cherry, Lowe +) the wrong way. It's hard to argue with that.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:25 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
What he is saying is that Burke's abrasive nature has rubbed fans, media and others in the sport (Cherry, Lowe +) the wrong way. It's hard to argue with that.
Lowe? He hasn't talked about Lowe in years.

DirtyDion03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:38 AM
rumman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
How old is Conn Smythe? Dress code isn't the only thing that's changed in the World in this time.
What's your point? I simply stated how things have changed, not that they should be the way they were. Now what was the point of your post?

rumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:39 AM
New Liskeard

Pathetic how the Toronto media will manipulate, fabricate and exagerate anything possible about the Leafs to sell a paper. As disapointing as the leafs have been, it speaks volumes of these writters and reporters scrambling around desperately to report anything abour the Leafs as apposed to using insight and knowledge. I guess there is a reason the National Enquirer has been around for so long.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:41 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Lowe? He hasn't talked about Lowe in years.
Lowe is an example. An obvious one. The point still stands. Burke has rubbed many fans, reporters, tv personalities and hockey people the wrong way. Really hard to dispute that with all the evidence.

I also agree with the articles that his verbal outbursts and language are unacceptable and do nothing to help the franchise.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:44 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

This is literally scraping the bottom of the barrel for absolutely anything to say about Burke.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:48 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Warmington isnt even a sports writer IIRC. I think Burke called him out on something else ridiculous he wrote and hes got revenge issues now.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:49 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
One thing ill say about Conn Smythe over MLSE over MLSE is that he won cups and was avisionary when it came to hockey and winning.

Maybe we need to return to his ways afterall

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote