HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tell me about Nail Yakupov

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2012, 05:11 AM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

vCash: 500
Tell me about Nail Yakupov

Never considered the Oilers would draft the kid, and frankly, I don't know much about him. TSN listed him as an LW, what wing does he play?

Is it safe to say he is similar to Hall, albeit with less physical force and more dangle-itis?

He had a concussion this year, any cause for concern?

Seems to be about average size, but plays bigger than he looks. Any chance he can play C? How good is his defense?

Old
04-11-2012, 05:28 AM
Soundwave

He is more physical than Taylor Hall. He shattered the glass checking some guy 2-3 inches taller than him and is already a rock solid 190+ pounds.

His shot is explosive. And accurate. Probably better than anyone on our team (Eberle included).

He is not tall.

He did suffer a concussion late in the season cutting to the inside of the offensive zone.

Very high end skills. Not quite as fast as Hall, but probably a better pure goal scorer.

I don't think he'd be comfortable playing C but you never know. He's a winger. Youtube some videos of him.

Old
04-11-2012, 06:09 AM
Perfect_Drug

With Yakupov in, and Omark out.

He turns HOPE into HYPE!!!

Old
04-11-2012, 06:15 AM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post

I like it!

PS: This thread and The Next One's Yakupov profile have some details if you don't know anything about him.

Last edited by JJTopper: 04-11-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old
04-11-2012, 06:29 AM
Hemsky4PM

This guy scores and he's a winner.

The Oilers might make a move at the draft to add Galchenyuk. He's rated highly, but could be passed over by a lot of teams due to injury. Could be this year's Couturier and fall far enough for the Oilers to make a deal to get him.

Old
04-11-2012, 06:39 AM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post

But wheres the NH

Old
04-11-2012, 07:14 AM
n00b1AnPr1nc355

Can people post all the videos and info possible about this guy here? I have been hoping a thread like this would pop up.

Old
04-11-2012, 07:17 AM
Ebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b1AnPr1nc355 View Post
Can people post all the videos and info possible about this guy here? I have been hoping a thread like this would pop up.

My favourite so far, seems to have a very nice combination of both Bryz and Ovi, no??

Old
04-11-2012, 07:18 AM
Soundwave

A little comment from the Sarnia asst. GM, keep in mind they had some guy named Steven Stamkos there a few years ago:

http://thehockeywriters.com/nail-yakupov-profile/

Quote:
THW’s Chris Ralph:

We know Nail is a dynamic and dangerous offensive force. What is he like off the ice in terms of preparation, work ethic and his relationships with coaches and teammates?

Mark Glavin:

Nail along with Alex Galchenyuk are two of the hardest working players off the ice I have seen in my 12 years with the Sting. He is constantly working on his game be it on the ice or in the gym constantly wanting to get better. In the dressing room he is a true character. Easily one of the more popular players among his teammates. He has two distinct sides to him. When it comes to hockey he is all business but outside of the game he is one of the more engaging personalities I have come across in my time in junior hockey.”
Boom. I am so sold on this kid. He is not some string bean either, 190+ pounds on a frame just a shade under 6 feet is a grown man's body.

Old
04-11-2012, 07:21 AM
Hockeysemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b1AnPr1nc355 View Post
My latest Yakupov video

Old
04-11-2012, 07:24 AM
Ebs

"Russia better Canada, so, see you next time." - Yakupov

Oh god, my sides, they're splitting. Absolutely cannot wait.

Old
04-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebusdriver View Post
but wheres the nh
hyphen???

:/

Old
04-11-2012, 08:25 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
This guy scores and he's a winner.

The Oilers might make a move at the draft to add Galchenyuk. He's rated highly, but could be passed over by a lot of teams due to injury. Could be this year's Couturier and fall far enough for the Oilers to make a deal to get him.
I highly doubt that Galchenyuk falls past Burkie's stubby fingers at 5 but i do agree that Tambellini should scrummage up anything that he can and try like mad to get that pick but i don't see anything outside of the Big 4 and possibly Klefbom++ that would intrigue Burke. Watching Yak's highlight videos last night, it was apparent to me that he and Galchenyuk have a great chemistry plus there is a possibility that Galchenyuk might even be better than Yakupov in the long run as hard as that is to believe, he's the real deal.

Old
04-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I highly doubt that Galchenyuk falls past Burkie's stubby fingers at 5 but i do agree that Tambellini should scrummage up anything that he can and try like mad to get that pick but i don't see anything outside of the Big 4 and possibly Klefbom++ that would intrigue Burke. Watching Yak's highlight videos last night, it was apparent to me that he and Galchenyuk have a great chemistry plus there is a possibility that Galchenyuk might even be better than Yakupov in the long run as hard as that is to believe, he's the real deal.
I honestly would not be that shocked if Columbus takes Galchenyuk at no.2. I think they will shy away from Grigo and perhaps pass on Murray too.

I think you very well could be looking at:

1. Yakupov - EDM
2. Galchenyuk - CLB
3. Grigorenko - MTL
4. Murray - NYI
5. Dumba/Forsberg - TOR

Old
04-11-2012, 08:42 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I honestly would not be that shocked if Columbus takes Galchenyuk at no.2. I think they will shy away from Grigo and perhaps pass on Murray too.

1. Yakupov - EDM
2. Galchenyuk - CLB
3. Grigorenko - MTL
4. Murray - NYI
5. Dumba/Forsberg - TOR
Man... Toronto has to go with BPA and if that happened I'd actually feel bad for Leafs fans. One more year without their potential first line center.

I'd seriously be scratching my head if Columbus drafted Galchenyuk. But hey, nobody said that Larsson or Landeskog were going to go as early as they did last year... well... very few people did.

Old
04-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

He seems to have a bloodthirst for the puck when it's by the net. I like it.

Old
04-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I personally thought when I saw this guy at last year's draft, as a 16 year old putting up 100+ points in the OHL, he was going to be even better than Taylor Hall and I stand by that. I think Hall is a great player with loads of potential, but I seriously see a 50 goal guy in Yakupov, where I don't in Hall.

Old
04-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Man... Toronto has to go with BPA and if that happened I'd actually feel bad for Leafs fans. One more year without their potential first line center.

I'd seriously be scratching my head if Columbus drafted Galchenyuk. But hey, nobody said that Larsson or Landeskog were going to go as early as they did last year... well... very few people did.
A lot of people were surprised with the Johansson pick too (he went probably 3-4 spots higher than most people thought) ... I could see this being a similar move.

Raw talent, he probably is second to Yakupov, maybe even close, he isn't "strictly" Russian as he was born technically in the USA and does play for the USA in international events I believe, he's an electric forward, Columbus already got Jack Johnson for Carter and may be able to land more NHL ready d-men for Nash too.

So I could see it, definitely.

Plus Both Yakupov and Galy are reportedly have very high end work ethics.

Old
04-11-2012, 08:56 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
A lot of people were surprised with the Johansson pick too (he went probably 3-4 spots higher than most people thought) ... I could see this being a similar move.

Raw talent, he probably is second to Yakupov, maybe even close, he isn't "strictly" Russian as he was born technically in the USA and does play for the USA in international events I believe, he's an electric forward, Columbus already got Jack Johnson for Carter and may be able to land more NHL ready d-men for Nash too.

So I could see it, definitely.

Plus Both Yakupov and Galy are reportedly have very high end work ethics.
If it weren't for that injury, Galchenyuk would go 2nd or 3rd overall for sure. Columbus might as well take a flyer on him. He's the biggest risk but probably has the highest upside after Yak.

Old
04-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
I personally thought when I saw this guy at last year's draft, as a 16 year old putting up 100+ points in the OHL, he was going to be even better than Taylor Hall and I stand by that. I think Hall is a great player with loads of potential, but I seriously see a 50 goal guy in Yakupov, where I don't in Hall.
We're in a situation where Hall could end up being our 3rd or 4th best player. That's pretty wild. I'll always have time for Hall even if he is passed on the depth chart though. There probably isn't a player under 22 that I'd rather have in the playoffs. That includes Stamkos(he's been a bit of a choke artist so far).

With that said...I've been tempering my expectations all year when it comes to Yakupov. Being 18 years old for your entire draft year is a pretty nice advantage. If I remember correctly, he's only a couple months younger than Huberdeau and missed the cut off for the 2011 draft by a couple weeks. Had he been slightly older, he likely would have been playing for Colorado this season. So of course he was going to put up very good numbers this year in junior. Can you imagine what RNH would have done in the OHL this year? I'd imagine his stats would have been a lot better than what Yakupov put up this year.

Last edited by Wheatking: 04-11-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old
04-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Quote:
Having 3 potential 50 goal scorers on our team is insane. Maybe even nuge could be in discussion.

Old
04-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
If it weren't for that injury, Galchenyuk would go 2nd or 3rd overall for sure. Columbus might as well take a flyer on him. He's the biggest risk but probably has the highest upside after Yak.
I have to agree here. The injury was definitely a setback. Not too mention the very type of injury you dont want to see a kid at that age experience. But at the same time it causes a lot of scouts to overlook his upside a d primarily focus on what he didn't do. He's the type of center a player like Nash, I think is looking for. Considering the recent acquisition of Johnson and the failed project of Carter, he fills a big void. Grigorenko should seriously be considered with them also.

Yak seems a lot less raw around the edges than Hall imo. Either way he solidifies our right wing in the top six. Making Omark that much more expendable.

Old
04-11-2012, 09:10 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Seems like Yakupov is a little more physical than Hall is. Will be very interesting to see if Edmonton takes him, or moves the pick before the draft.

Old
04-11-2012, 09:15 AM
CupofOil

Quote:

1. Yakupov - EDM
2. Galchenyuk - CLB
3. Grigorenko - MTL
4. Murray - NYI
5. Dumba/Forsberg - TOR
I would laugh pretty loudly if Burke missed out on Grigs and Gally although Forsberg or Dumba is a great consolation prize but i'm pretty sure that he will be there for the Leafs. I think there are too many questions surrounding Gally due to his lost year of development for Columbus to take that risk. I think that they will play it safe and take Murray unless the Oilers somehow trade down and take Murray which is a possibility IMO.

Old
04-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Ramrod
Happily outscoring

SOLI EDIT: Yeah I dunno about that one Car Ramrod.

Last edited by Soli: 04-11-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Closed Thread