HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Warmington: Burke tarnishing Leafs' brand

Old
04-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Stringer Bell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
You going to post one of these every day? Why do we give a crap about everyone with a blog?
Man, this is a hockey fan forum on the internet. Think about that for a second. What are you really expecting to be posted? If you don't like it, don't read it, or better yet, don't post complaining about it. Your act is growing tiresome.

Stringer Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 09:20 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
People complain about how Burke tries to get himself to be the centre of attention.

Not sure if anyone saw what Feaster had to say, but he tried hard to make himself the centre of attention for the Flames press conference yesterday. Didn't work as well though, that's for sure.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
Terrible article. Oh no, Burke used some words that aren't acceptable at church. Whoopdeedoo, he's pissed off as he should be, cause he ****ed up.

I seriously don't care who keeps their job at this point, I'm just tired of this team sucking.
Hilarious that he's using this against Burke considering that the Sun's front page on Sept 12/2001 was titled "********!" (Edit: The B word)

I hate the Toronto Sun and every journalist that works for that hypocritical POS rag company.

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 09:22 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Terrible article, the sun is gonna miss out on all the articles with burke when they make the playoffs at this rate.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 09:23 AM
GrizzLeaf

lol the Sun.

Fans are almost as bad as the Sun reporters. How many complaints did we see from posters about JFJ being too closed mouth. I can't confirm or deny it, but I think there were a lot of posts about it

Now Burke is the polar opposite of JFJ (in terms of talking to us fans) and people want him so ****. You guys should just look at it, like I do.

A part of the GM's job is being a politician. That means, he will spin things, draw attention away form some things and tell us only as much as he thinks is safe (you don't always want to tip your hand).

I really don't care if it's JFJ like silence or Burke-like info blitzes, that's just the mask we're seeing/hearing. It's what's being done and results that count.

Burke's job this summer is to right the ship. Talk all you want, or keep your cards close to your chest. I don't care. Just get the job done.

GrizzLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 09:34 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Burke has made the brand a laughing stock and swearing has nothing to do with it.
Kind of like what you did to Gatorade??

I like that Burke gets angry and pissed off and doesn;t take ****! That is what I want from this team and like everyone says it starts from the top.

Everyone gets angry that Burke puts reporters in their place if they cross lines. Seriously, what woudl you rather have?? SOme little fluff peice that does his job while clenching the media's nutsack?

He calls the media ******** and bastrards?? boohooo! Poor media members! I coudl give two ***** how he treats the media! They are ******** and ********! I commend Burke for not coming out of some interviews/pressers with a manslaughter charge!

You want to cry over the media feelings? You want some soft cuddly teddy bear as a GM who after a losing season is going to bring you a warm glass of milk and rub your tummy??? Nut up and shut up!! I want a GM who gets pissed and angry and swears! ****, I wish he chewed tobacco and hocked it over the podium!

I wish Schenn, phanuef and Kessel took a page from his book and told the occasinal reporter to replace the microphone with their head that's up their butt!

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post
Kind of like what you did to Gatorade??

I like that Burke gets angry and pissed off and doesn;t take ****! That is what I want from this team and like everyone says it starts from the top.

Everyone gets angry that Burke puts reporters in their place if they cross lines. Seriously, what woudl you rather have?? SOme little fluff peice that does his job while clenching the media's nutsack?

He calls the media ******** and bastrards?? boohooo! Poor media members! I coudl give two ***** how he treats the media! They are ******** and ********! I commend Burke for not coming out of some interviews/pressers with a manslaughter charge!

You want to cry over the media feelings? You want some soft cuddly teddy bear as a GM who after a losing season is going to bring you a warm glass of milk and rub your tummy??? Nut up and shut up!! I want a GM who gets pissed and angry and swears! ****, I wish he chewed tobacco and hocked it over the podium!

I wish Schenn, phanuef and Kessel took a page from his book and told the occasinal reporter to replace the microphone with their head that's up their butt!
I wasn't referring to the media. I said he has made a laughing stock of the brand because he is chief architect of the worst playoff drought in Maple Leaf history.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 09:46 AM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Jesus Christ, who gives a ****?

*******, Jesus Murphy butt muncher.

FishManSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 09:48 AM
samwitch

Quote:
I wasn't referring to the media. I said he has made a laughing stock of the brand because he is chief architect of the worst playoff drought in Maple Leaf history.
Powerade is better. What now?

samwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
Really???? Noone around me laughs at teh Leafs! You better double check what they're actually laughing at?

You can't take the odd snide remark from another fan of another team, you better switch from watching TSN to wathcing Treehouse!

Cheif architect eh?? So he is responsible also for the playoff misses prior to him starting here?

Old
04-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Really???? Noone around me laughs at teh Leafs! You better double check what they're actually laughing at?

You can't take the odd snide remark from another fan of another team, you better switch from watching TSN to wathcing Treehouse!

Cheif architect eh?? So he is responsible also for the playoff misses prior to him starting here?
Nope. Just the four he has been here for which is a club record.

Old
04-11-2012, 09:54 AM
birddog*

Quote:
You going to post one of these every day? Why do we give a crap about everyone with a blog?
It's a national newspaper. If you don't like the thread -- don't tell people not to post -- use your ability to ignore the thread. Freedom of speech.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Beleafer4

This remids me of some arguement I had with another poster who believed that the media merely reported the facts!

For sureeee

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 10:08 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer Bell View Post
Man, this is a hockey fan forum on the internet. Think about that for a second. What are you really expecting to be posted? If you don't like it, don't read it, or better yet, don't post complaining about it. Your act is growing tiresome.
Guess that you need to respond to everyone else who trashed the article. Chop, cop. Times a wasting.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 10:11 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
It's a national newspaper. If you don't like the thread -- don't tell people not to post -- use your ability to ignore the thread. Freedom of speech.
Stop treading on my freedom of speech.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

The Toronto media needs a rebuild. Sad bunch.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gatorade*

Quote:
Guess that you need to respond to everyone else who trashed the article. Chop, cop. Times a wasting.
You didn't trash the article. You got snarky with the guy who posted it.

Quote:

Old
04-11-2012, 10:12 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
The article was in The Toronto Sun.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 10:13 AM
LetzgoEggo

There were so many things wrong with BB reaction to the "Pittsburgh model" question. None were covered in this ridiculous article.

LetzgoEggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Oh I see! You go around sharing your opinion and making some noise and can't take someone calling you out!!! HHHHHmmmmm, can dish it out but can't take it! I swear I have heard you criticize someone else for that????
Personal attacks are not permitted. I do not dish out personal attacks.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:15 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander View Post
Imagine how many complainers we would have here if brian. Burke was doing a wonderful job

Do u see who is right behind the leafs in the draft ...Anahiem!
So lets see if I've got this straight, Burke has been in Toronto for 3 and a half years is totally responsible and Burke hasn't been in Anaheim for 3 and a half years and is also responsible, excellent logic

As far as getting back to the way things were when the Major was always so respectful of the poor poor media

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=1482

Quote:
In the 1930s, legendary hockey owner Conn Smythe was displeased by newspaper coverage of his Toronto Maple Leafs. Smythe's solution: He approached Toronto Star publisher Joe Atkinson with a promise to take out $20,000 in advertising annually. In exchange, Atkinson would raise his hockey writers' salaries by $20,000 -- as a reward for more "honest" reporting.

If owners of pro sports teams no longer engage in outright bribery, it's only because they no longer need to. No single topic -- not even presidential campaigns or wars -- receives the kind of day-in, day-out coverage that is devoted to sports by every daily media outlet in the nation. And the tone of all this coverage is, to put it mildly, uncritical. Sportswriters tend to assume that their readers and the local teams share the same goal: winning games

basically even way back when when all was honourable, there was always an attempt to control the message(which is why my dear departed father always told me not to believe half of what I read in newspapers/media and to be suspicious of the other half). Dr. Goebbels was a firm believer in controlling the message as well, as it directly effects public opinion/perception (see the Murdoch news conglomerate for the modern version of controlling the message).

Had a reporter back in those days had the affrontory to opinionate on Hap Day needing to get fired or questioning Conn' s operational day to day, that reporter would've found himself out of a job, and in the depression that was a very powerful tool to have at ones disposal

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer Bell View Post
Says the guy who read a post he didn't like and reposted complaining about it!

Old
04-11-2012, 10:31 AM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
So you have been a fan for 3 years?. Got news for you.... this brand has been a laughing stock way way way before Burke got here! Good thing Burke has the balls to stand up to the media.

Why don't you walk into MLSE, Tell them Burke is doing a lousy job, and you want to him fired! We all know you could have done a better job in the last 3 years than Burke.

Easy.

OlderTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

The best way to get MLSE Ownership attention is to make as much noise as possible, so there is a well planned method behind what some consider madness by the Toronto media. They have already drawn an apology letter out of ownership, in an effort to appease the masses using the media as the messenger to deliver it.

Every Anti-Burke article is another nail in his Leafs employment coffin so to speak, as things claiming to tarnish the "brand" like this article do get the attention of the desire audience and its not message board posters nor Leaf fans that its directed towards as its principle intent.

Burke delivering 2 bottom 5 overall finishes in the past 3 seasons speaks towards his job performance, but his actions and the way he conducts himself publicly by how he represents MLSE as an employee, extends to other issues like this one that has drawn more negative media attention in addition now.

04-11-2012, 10:38 AM
TheOneArmedMan

Soon as I saw this was from the Toronto Sun I didn't even read it. I just came in to laugh at this thread and people who post Sun articles.

As for Burke I'm giving him 1 more season and if we don't make the playoffs in 2013 I'll want him gone. Get us a good goaltender and we'll be set. This team is better than what Cliff Fletcher gave us but we need a good goalie.

TheOneArmedMan is offline   Reply With Quote