HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Blade Sharpening

Old
04-11-2012, 10:12 AM
severian

vCash: 500
Blade Sharpening

I just got into ice hockey and had my blades sharpened maybe a month ago. Since then I've been on the ice probably 10-15 times. Is it time to get them sharpened up?

severian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 10:26 AM
forbs02
Blergh

Look at your blades. Do you see any nicks or dull edges? How do they feel when you skate? Are they slipping or do they seem fine?

If you are slipping or if you see and long dull edges it is time to get them sharpened.

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 10:28 AM
severian

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbs02 View Post
Look at your blades. Do you see any nicks or dull edges? How do they feel when you skate? Are they slipping or do they seem fine?

If you are slipping or if you see and long dull edges it is time to get them sharpened.
I guess the problem is that I'm such a noob that I don't even know what I'm looking for on the blades.

severian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 10:34 AM
qmechanic

One rule of thumb I've heard is to get them sharpened every five ice times. This is for the average skater who is at a decent skill level. But it depends a lot on how hard you skate and how sharp the blades are to start with. If you go practice hockey stops for hours on end, you'll wear your blades down faster. If you get your blades sharpened to a small radius (i.e. sharper than average), then the blades will become duller more quickly.

qmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you have any big nicks or dents in the blades, or if you're falling more than usual on turns, get them sharpened.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Jive Time

It really depends on what you start with. A 5/8 cut will go pretty quick but a 7/16 will last longer. This does not apply to kids however. I swear my son must be walking on rocks by the way his skates get nicked up...

You may consider spending some time trying different cuts: 5/8, 1/2, 7/16. You will notice more "bite" with 7/16 but it can take some time getting used to how deep it is (makes it harder to stop if you are a beginner).

If you can't figure out when to get it done, just bring them in every 10-15 skates and try out the range of cuts. Eventually you will settle on what works for you.

For me, I now use 5/8 because it gives me the edge I want without the break-in period. Now I take them in about every 10 skates. If they get beat up, I'll take them in sooner.

Here are some old threads on the topic as well:

How many games between your sharpenings?

Preferred skate blade hollow?

Skate Sharpening Radius Advice

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:54 PM
neksys

The one thing I've learned as a relatively new player is that it is better to over-sharpen than under-sharpen.

I know its a matter of personal preference. Some people like going a whole season without sharpening - some sharpen after every game. I personally believe, however, that a beginner needs a good grippy edge while they are building confidence in turns etc.

There is nothing more discouraging than trying to get the hang of a tight hockey turn and losing your edge every single time. Even with full pads, falling all the time sucks.

On the other hand, a good skate edge means you get the technique, balance and weight transfer down first. You have no choice but to quickly understand how the dynamics of your edges work when they're cutting and not sliding.

Once your muscles "get" the movement, its much easier even on duller skates.

This is just my own experience, of course, and others may disagree, but personally I wouldn't go more than 10-15 skates without a sharpening until you develop more of a "feel" for when its time.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Uncle Slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by severian View Post
I guess the problem is that I'm such a noob that I don't even know what I'm looking for on the blades.
http://www.blade-tek.com/theLibrary.html
http://www.alienhockey.com/HollowGuide.pdf

Uncle Slick is offline   Reply With Quote