HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Hrdina on IR, Taffe recalled FINALLY

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2003, 11:20 AM

vCash: 500
Hrdina on IR, Taffe recalled FINALLY

Source
Quote:
Coyotes' Hrdina placed on IR
Sports Ticker
11/17/2003

SCOTTSDALE, Arizona (Ticker) - Phoenix Coyotes centre Jan Hrdina will be sidelined up to two weeks with a fractured toe, the team announced Monday.

Hrdina, who has two goals and seven assists in 17 games this season, suffered the injury in Sunday's 2-2 tie against the Columbus Blue Jackets.

The 27-year-old native of the Czech Republic was acquired from Pittsburgh with Francois Leroux for Ramzi Abid, Dan Focht and Guillaume Lefebvre on March 11. But after the trade he played in just four games for the Coyotes due to a hip flexor injury.

Phoenix also recalled center Jeff Taffe from the Springfield Falcons, the team's minor league affiliate in the American Hockey League. Taffe has scored 10 goals and has six assists in 15 games with Springfield this season.
The last game wasn't televised, and I only heard some of it on the radio. Too bad to see Hrdina go down just as he was starting to click with Branko & Nagy.

Can't say Taffe didn't earn his callup though.

Old
11-17-2003, 11:22 AM
winnipegjets4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
Source

The last game wasn't televised, and I only heard some of it on the radio. Too bad to see Hrdina go down just as he was starting to click with Branko & Nagy.

Can't say Taffe didn't earn his callup though.
I'm excited to see what he does with this chance.

Old
11-17-2003, 11:38 AM
PhoPhan

Rookie of the Year!!
Rookie of the Year!!

Old
11-17-2003, 12:01 PM
Plan 9

Sorry to see Hrdina go down. Good opportunity for Taffe though.

Old
11-17-2003, 12:54 PM
CoyoteBaloney

Taffe has about 5 games to show the Coyotes that he belongs and that Gratton or someone else should be traded.

I think Taffe will get sent back down even if he holds his own. If Taffe excells, he will remain with the team forcing a trade ... unless you are the Coyotes who seem to like a log jam of players at certain positions by not trading anyone.

Old
11-17-2003, 02:45 PM
Hoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteTony
Taffe has about 5 games to show the Coyotes that he belongs and that Gratton or someone else should be traded.

I think Taffe will get sent back down even if he holds his own. If Taffe excells, he will remain with the team forcing a trade ... unless you are the Coyotes who seem to like a log jam of players at certain positions by not trading anyone.
It really is time for Taffe to start making an impact at the NHL level. He is no longer a spring chicken.

Old
11-17-2003, 05:06 PM
Dancing Chicken

Gheez I am late.. I was comimg to post this new.. Really too bad about Hirdina and I REALLY hope I am wrong about Taffe..

Old
11-17-2003, 07:02 PM
CoyoteBaloney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot
It really is time for Taffe to start making an impact at the NHL level. He is no longer a spring chicken.
I agree with you but until the NHL knows for certain that they will be playing next it would be a mistake to keep Taffe on the Coyotes roster.

Old
11-17-2003, 08:17 PM
roadrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteTony
I agree with you but until the NHL knows for certain that they will be playing next it would be a mistake to keep Taffe on the Coyotes roster.
CT, would you mind breaking down the reasons why Taffe should be kept in Springy? Sorry to be mentally challenged, but if he exceeds rookie status by playing too many games with the parent club, why is it that he would not be able to rejoin Springfield again in a lockout situation?

Also, what about Taffe playing in the WHA if there is a lengthy lockout? That'd probably putz things up bigtime, eh?

Old
11-17-2003, 08:20 PM
CoyoteBaloney

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner
CT, would you mind breaking down the reasons why Taffe should be kept in Springy? Sorry to be mentally challenged, but if he exceeds rookie status by playing too many games with the parent club, why is it that he would not be able to rejoin Springfield again in a lockout situation?

Also, what about Taffe playing in the WHA if there is a lengthy lockout? That'd probably putz things up bigtime, eh?
Age and amount of NHL games played. Let me see if I can find out how many games he would have to play and the age factor.

The problem with Taffe playing in the WHA is that if he gets injured there is no NHLPA to defend him. They won't pay much and his career could end tragically with an injury.

Old
11-18-2003, 03:38 AM
hbk

Here's a dumb question.

Why would any NHL player go play in the WHA or any other league for about 10% of his current NHL paycheque. If they are willing to do that, isn't that a clear indication to the NHLPA to settle for whatever system the owners want. You might as well take out an ad that says "we agree we are overpaid and are willing to play hockey for less money". With European players I assume this is looked at as an opportunity to play in their home countries. Players like Naslund, Forsberg, etc. have talked openly about playing in the Swedish Elite League before hanging things up.

I think the players will for the most part though sit and wait. That's what the NHLPA will tell them to do. This will hurt the young kids like Taffe who haven't put away millions of dollars in the bank and lose valuable earning opportunities. Most NHL careers last less than 400 games and to lose 80-160 games worth of paycheques is going to significantly hurt a large number of players in the NHLPA. This strike/lockout will really test the power of Goodenow. How does he reach a compromise that doesn't appear as a one sided going over by the league. It's an indication as to how much Goodenow destroyed the NHL in previous negotiations but all those concessions they have won in the past, the league is asking back in spades. Ugly is the only way to describe it.

Old
11-18-2003, 04:05 AM

I can't recall how many NHL games Taffe has played, but I think it's 20'ish, and he is allowed to play in 80 NHL games total before losing his waiver exemption which is the issue right now. My estimated math puts that at 60 games this season, which should be easy to keep him under, but no guarantees as the new CBA could change those rules as well.

Old
11-18-2003, 06:08 AM
Reign Nateo

I played a franchise with the Coyotes on NHL 2K4 and I called up Taffe after a while and played him with Nagy and Doan. He got 4 GOALS in his first game! It was great, he didn't score in the next 5 but it was still cool. He ended up with 14 points in 20 games.

Anyway back to real hockey, this is a prospect that I have liked for a long time and who will make the Tkachuk trade look even better.

Old
11-18-2003, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
Anyway back to real hockey, this is a prospect that I have liked for a long time and who will make the Tkachuk trade look even better.
With injuries to Johnson, Hrdina, and Cleary -- it should give Taffe some real opportunities on a scoring line. It's be foolish to recall him and have someone like Wilson or Nash get the extra time with quality linemates.

LW seems to be where they want to see him, so what linemates does he draw?

Nagy-Langkow-Branko?
Savage-Gratton-Doan?
Taffe-Kolanos- who's left?
Nash-Sillinger-Wilson

I wouldn't mind seeing him on that top line in place of Branko, but Branko's play lately has earned him a spot, not a demotion. Maybe we'll see him with Doan somehow. Come on Francis, show us something good!

Old
11-18-2003, 07:06 AM
CoyoteBaloney

Quote:
With injuries to Johnson, Hrdina, and Cleary -- it should give Taffe some real opportunities on a scoring line. It's be foolish to recall him and have someone like Wilson or Nash get the extra time with quality linemates.
Considering the injuries, I agree. Play to Taffe's strengths, not his weaknesses.

Nagy-Langkow-Raddy
Taffe-Gratton-Doan
Savage-Kolanos-Nazarov
Nash-Sillinger-Wilson

Old
11-18-2003, 08:10 AM
Waldo

I'd be tempted to just replace Hrdina with Taffe centering Nagy and Branko. Taffe will not really be given much time. If Hrdina is out 2 weeks than Taffe has to produce right away. He can make a permanent place for himself if he produces points and the team wins games. He has to force them to keep him. I would be delighted if that happens.

Old
11-18-2003, 10:10 AM
ALA YotesPhan

I think that the
Savage - Langkow - Doan line should stay together
Next, let Kolanos move up
Nagy - Kolanos - Branko
Nash - Gratton - Naz
Taffe - Sillinger - Wilson

Old
11-18-2003, 10:18 AM
Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZyotesphan
I think that the
Savage - Langkow - Doan line should stay together
Next, let Kolanos move up
Nagy - Kolanos - Branko
Nash - Gratton - Naz
Taffe - Sillinger - Wilson
Taffe is quite worthless on the 4th line. He is not now or ever will be a 4th line checker. He has to be a goalscorer on a line with some talent or he's of no value to this team whatsoever.

Old
11-19-2003, 04:01 AM
ALA YotesPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo
Taffe is quite worthless on the 4th line. He is not now or ever will be a 4th line checker. He has to be a goalscorer on a line with some talent or he's of no value to this team whatsoever.
Sillinger is not a true 4th line type center he has some skill. That would be a solid line that gets more than typical 4th line time.

Looks like Kolanos gets moved up, and Taffe will play with Sillinger according to azcentral.com.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...tesnb1119.html

Old
11-19-2003, 04:08 AM

I heard Gambo & Ash talking to Taffe on the radio yesterday and he said he knew he wouldn't start out with the minutes, but he'd have to work his way up the lineup. Sounds like that is indeed the case.

Francis told Spiller to get a home, because he's staying. That's cool.

Old
11-19-2003, 04:09 AM
CoyoteBaloney

Francis is going to change the line anyway by the start of the 2nd period so why even speculate on who Taffe will be playing with?

As long as Taffe hustles and gives 100% effort he will recieve ice time and hopefully be able to show his talents.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:43 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Francis told Spiller to get a home, because he's staying. That's cool.
No no no, that is not cool. That is exactly what he told Abid.

Old
11-19-2003, 10:32 AM
ALA YotesPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
No no no, that is not cool. That is exactly what he told Abid.

I was thinking the same thing when I read it!!!

Old
11-19-2003, 12:14 PM
XX
... Waiting

Spiller IMO has never looked out of place this season. Its fun to watch him clear the net after the whistle, no one really wants to mess with him.

Old
11-19-2003, 01:43 PM
hbk

it's the kiss of death usually that's for sure.

if I were him I wouldn't be picking up a big mortgage unless he knows something we don't about how the cba negotiations are going.

Closed Thread