HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tell me about Nail Yakupov

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2012, 11:28 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Yakupov has a one time from the off wing that is better than Halls
he also creates space and gets into the slot to shoot better than eberle.

he is a dynamic player with excellent speed and instincts,

Old
04-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersrule14 View Post
Lots of talk about Yakupov being a prolific goal scorer, better than Hall or Eberle. My question is why? At the same age, Taylor Hall put up the same sort of goal numbers as Yakupov did. Eberle put up better goal numbers in his 19 year old season. I've only really seen highlights of Yakupov, and he's obviously got a great shot and one-timer. But how about the hockey smarts, garbage goals, cycling, and other things that help get you goals in the NHL? Those things aren't really shown in the highlights so that's a question for those who've seen him more. The fact that Hall and Yakupov put up the same sort of goal numbers makes me think that although Yakupov might be a better 'one shot' scorer, that Hall might be better at getting those greasy garbage goals or might identify and get to those goal scoring areas better. So is there a part of Yakupov's game not seen in the highlights that makes you think he'll put up more goals in the NHL than Hall or Eberle?
Yakupov as a 16yo scored as many goals as Eberle as a 19 yo ..
His production wasnt as good this season but was still 1.62PPG and tops in his team.
Scoring 100+ points and 49 goals as a 16yo is why Yakupov is expected to be more 'skilled scorer' then anyone on Oilers.

Old
04-11-2012, 11:46 AM
hfboardsuser

vCash: 500
Yakupov is just a different kind of player than any we've seen in an Oilers jersey since, perhaps, the 1980s. He doesn't spend a lot of time screwing around the offensive zone because he doesn't have to. This isn't RNH or Eberle on one of their extended possession sequences; Yaki attacks the net with a kind of efficiency only a Stamkos or Ovechkin does. He's very vocal in demanding the puck, and if he can't drill a shot home from feet inside the blueline, he'll post himself up in the high slot for his cannon of a one-timer.

In today's pro/major junior game- what with the pad sizes, speed, and training- Yakupov is one of those rare players that can just waltz into the zone and casually snap off a wrister as if it's no big deal... and he'll score.

Old
04-11-2012, 11:53 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
I'm definitely thinking he'll be a good fit with Hemsky on the left side of him. One guy that's always looking for the pass and trying to set up others... The other that always wants the puck and has a cannon of a one timer... Hello PPG Hemsky

Old
04-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
It was mentioned earlier that he's an extremely hard worker, and that seals the deal for me. It's always said when you're best players, Hall, Nuge, Eberle and (hopefully) Yakupov are your hardest workers, it makes the rest of the team have to live up to them. Worked for the Oilers back in the day, no reason it can't work now, so to speak.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:01 PM
pritz

For some reason I remembered this when my buddies and I were talking about Yak (yes I'm aging myself lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJfr8...e_gdata_player

Old
04-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Joseppi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Yakupov is just a different kind of player than any we've seen in an Oilers jersey since, perhaps, the 1980s. He doesn't spend a lot of time screwing around the offensive zone because he doesn't have to. This isn't RNH or Eberle on one of their extended possession sequences; Yaki attacks the net with a kind of efficiency only a Stamkos or Ovechkin does. He's very vocal in demanding the puck, and if he can't drill a shot home from feet inside the blueline, he'll post himself up in the high slot for his cannon of a one-timer.

In today's pro/major junior game- what with the pad sizes, speed, and training- Yakupov is one of those rare players that can just waltz into the zone and casually snap off a wrister as if it's no big deal... and he'll score.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:11 PM
OilerOlli*

Hope the concussion doesn't effect hom or his game.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:12 PM
hockeyaddict101

a scouting report. From NHL.com

Yakupov is a game breaker," the NHL scout said earlier this week. "He's got a lot of speed, agility and can make all his moves when going balls out. He's got a natural knack for scoring and is a threat to score every single time he's out there. The defense is only so-so, but when you're talking about a player as dangerous as he is, you can live with that."

An outstanding skater, he's got a very fast burst and not only the top speed you want in your skill forwards, but the shifty, elusive east-west movement that make him very tough for defenders to contain. Although only 5-10, he's so quick that the size isn't an issue. When you hear scouts and hockey people talk about small players needing certain skating chops to alleviate concerns about them at the NHL level, Yakupov is the prototype player they're referring to.

His quick hands, dazzling puck skills and the ability to dangle allow him to create space for himself, and he's got the creativity to score by himself or set teammates up for quality chances. He's one of those guys who makes everyone around him better. 35 goals and 69 points in 45 OHL games as a 17-year-old...that's all you really need to know. He and countryman Alex Galchenyuk have formed a dynamic duo for the Sting, with the centerman Galchenyuk a few weeks away from turning 17 himself, having more size but less pure skill and upside than Yakupov. Regardless, he looks like a solid 1st-rounder in 2012.

Obviously from last year but still accuarate. I will post all the scouting reports listed over this year from Red line later tonight.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:18 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedrich View Post
Hope the concussion doesn't effect hom or his game.
We get it, you're not a fan. I'm sure the team will do their due diligence on him

Old
04-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Dabomb

Nuge must be licking his chops with all these elite wingers at his disposal.

When i first saw that interview with Yakupov after beating Canada, I hated him. Thought he was arrogant and cocky... the kinda star player that you love to hate. But now that he's gonna be an Oiler (most likely)... I think his cocky attitude is just what is needed on our team. Hall, Nuge, and Eberle all have very laid back and professional-like demeanors. We need a lil more cockiness on our team.

Watching Yakupov highlights I see that he's very good at one timer shots on the same half board side as RNH dominates on the PP. He might be a great addition on our PP playing the right point. For some reason, I also see Hemsky clicking well with Yakupov.. two offensive European players. Maybe moving Hemmer to the left side next year is what is needed to fit Yakupov in our top6.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:22 PM
OilerOlli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
We get it, you're not a fan. I'm sure the team will do their due diligence on him
Oh I think he is an exciting player and a great prospect.
But wouldn't be the first one who have problems with concussions.
Many Players are effected negatively after concussions. Depends on how hard they were, too.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:25 PM
JustinCider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Yakupov as a 16yo scored as many goals as Eberle as a 19 yo ..
His production wasnt as good this season but was still 1.62PPG and tops in his team.
Scoring 100+ points and 49 goals as a 16yo is why Yakupov is expected to be more 'skilled scorer' then anyone on Oilers.
Not all players develop at the same time as others. Eberle is way better than he projected to be, so is a guy like Giroux. Nail looks deadly, he's dynamic and I'm assuming 10 out of 10 scouts would take him first overall, unlike the last couple years, where there was at least a little discussion (hall/seguin, rnh/landeskog), there is no debate this year. You have to take Yakupov unless someone offers the world for him. The deals Edmonton would make (pietrangelo straight up for him or E. Karlsson straight up for him) aren't out there. Here's a deal I would consider...

To BOS

Yakupov

To EDM

Hamilton
Marchand

Adresses two areas for the Oil. I'd do it, but I wanted Hamilton very badly last year. I'm not sure if the Bruins do it, but it does give them scoring and a dynamic winger for Seguin.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
From "The Next Ones" series (probably my favorite):

http://thehockeywriters.com/nail-yakupov-profile/

Quote:
“The passion and drive that Yakupov displays on a nightly basis is his most admirable quality. On nights where Yakupov has to earn every point and play through frustration he still competes with every inch he has. When Yakupov’s teammates score, he celebrates like he did the scoring. When Yakupov earns an assist, he celebrates like it was his first ever assist. And, when Yakupov does the scoring, he celebrates like he will never score again.”
Add that to Hall's drive, and we have a very good culture in our top players.

Instead of games like Van with a sub-par effort, we could have efforts that give 100% every night.

04-11-2012, 12:28 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
He might be a great addition on our PP playing the right point.
This is really where I think he could make the biggest difference. It sort of mitigates not having an elite PMD to have his shot and vision there for the moment. Long-term, that needs to be fixed to make the Oilers as good as they can be, but it'll do.

Quote:
For some reason, I also see Hemsky clicking well with Yakupov.. two offensive European players. Maybe moving Hemmer to the left side next year is what is needed to fit Yakupov in our top6.
By that same token, I'm wary of the experiment. Remember Hemsky-Kotalik? Ales seemed to forget anyone else was on the ice, to the team's detriment. He tried to feed Ales 2.0 all day long and he made himself- and Kotalik- look stupid for it. I recall precisely one great shot that made me think "wow, this is worth it" but the rest of the time was forgettable. Yes, Yakupov is a superior player by miles, but I don't trust Hemsky to utilize him responsibly.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:29 PM
JustinCider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
I personally thought when I saw this guy at last year's draft, as a 16 year old putting up 100+ points in the OHL, he was going to be even better than Taylor Hall and I stand by that. I think Hall is a great player with loads of potential, but I seriously see a 50 goal guy in Yakupov, where I don't in Hall.
I think Hall is a 50 goal guy someday. The kid was on pace for 40 this year, in his second season. He single handedly creates at least 2 or 3 scoring opportunities every game, eventually he will start converting more of them, and I believe he will easily hit 50 when this happens. It all comes down to health, if he plays 75 games plus next year, I'll guarantee 40, with an outside shot at 50.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Top 4 wingers: Hall, Yakupov, Eberle, Hartikanen.

Lot's of skill, some size and lot's of heart.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Qrispy

"Smaller version of Ovechkin" is a pretty fair comparison. I think being smaller is actually a good thing for the type of player Yakupov is. It allows him to be a lot more agile and evasive and I believe he will be much more difficult to shutdown as compared to Ovechkin (who seems to have been figured out by teams already). He's pretty physical too.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:33 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
I think Hall is a 50 goal guy someday. The kid was on pace for 40 this year, in his second season. He single handedly creates at least 2 or 3 scoring opportunities every game, eventually he will start converting more of them, and I believe he will easily hit 50 when this happens. It all comes down to health, if he plays 75 games plus next year, I'll guarantee 40, with an outside shot at 50.
The funny thing is, all of us have seen how hard he's had to work to get those goals. He's improved his shot and release over time, but many nights it's a second or third effort.

Nail doesn't need a second chance.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Smartguy

vCash: 580
If we do end up selecting yak will he make the team right out of camp, as well what will happen when ebs nuge hall and PRV possibly as well want more expansive contracts? It will make it hard to put in a good goaltender and defense

Old
04-11-2012, 12:41 PM
JustinCider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
The funny thing is, all of us have seen how hard he's had to work to get those goals. He's improved his shot and release over time, but many nights it's a second or third effort.

Nail doesn't need a second chance.
If we're arguing who has the better finish, then maybe you're right, but I'm just saying that Taylor is plenty good enough to score 50. He would of put up 40 this year if healthy, as a 19 year old with an injured shoulder, and no one on the back end to set him up. Hall is a great finisher, if he has an opening from a good pass, he usually scores. He needs to work on his breakaways, but the skill is there. I predict he will score 50 multiple times in his career. I'll guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Indian Stunna View Post
But didn't he pot nearly 50 goals and a 106 points as a 17 year old last season?
That's my point. As a 17 year old(the age of most players in their draft year) he was about on par with Hall, RNH, Stamkos, Tavares and Seguin(all in the 104-106 point range). So before the WJC when he had 21 goals/53 points in 26 games(a 55 goal/140 point pace over the same 69 games RNH played in his draft year), I wasn't getting caught up in the "generational talent" talk because he was just doing what he probably should be as an 18 year old of his skill level in junior.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:49 PM
JustinCider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartguy View Post
If we do end up selecting yak will he make the team right out of camp, as well what will happen when ebs nuge hall and PRV possibly as well want more expansive contracts? It will make it hard to put in a good goaltender and defense
You cross that bridge when to get it. If they are deserving of huge contracts, that's a good thing, it means they preformed and earned them. One day they might have to trade one or two of them. They will bring back solid returns, it's the cycle of being a professional hockey team. You don't pass on Yakupov just because someday he's gonna make a lot of money. Them earning large contracts is a good thing, it means they've had success.

Look at Pitt...

Malkin 8.7
Crosby 8.7
Neal 5
Staal 4
Fleury 5
Letang 3.5
Martin 5
Michalek 4
Orpik 3.75
Kunitx 3.75

They paid their better players money, and filled in the rest with cheaper young guys. Staal has one year left before he's a UFA, will they be able to sign him? My guess is no. It's all part of the cycle.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:51 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
If we're arguing who has the better finish, then maybe you're right, but I'm just saying that Taylor is plenty good enough to score 50.
I'm saying the same. I'm also saying I believe Yaki has the potential score more.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:52 PM
JustinCider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
That's my point. As a 17 year old(the age of most players in their draft year) he was about on par with Hall, RNH, Stamkos, Tavares and Seguin(all in the 104-106 point range). So before the WJC when he had 21 goals/53 points in 26 games(a 55 goal/140 point pace over the same 69 games RNH played in his draft year), I wasn't getting caught up in the "generational talent" talk because he was just doing what he probably should be as an 18 year old of his skill level in junior.
Yes, he would of been on par with those guys, but on par as the youngest out of all of them. You have to give him some credit for doing it as a rookie in the OHL as a 16/17 year old. Who knows what he would of produced this year if healthy, 115 - 130 points is my guess, pretty huge no matter when he was born.

Closed Thread