HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Montreal Canadiens Have Requested To Speak With Robitaille & Hextall for GM Position

Old
04-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Montreal Canadiens Have Requested To Speak With Robitaille & Hextall for GM Position

http://lakingsinsider.com/2012/04/11...n-not-skating/

Quote:
On an unrelated note, the Canadian network SportsNet reported this morning that the Montreal Canadiens are interested in talking to Luc Robitaille about their vacant general manager position. A Kings source said that the team is not yet giving permission for other teams to talk to their employees about positions for next season. Then, of course, there would have to be mutual interest as well.

[UPDATE: Tim Leiweke said in an email that the Canadiens ``have asked us for permission to talk to several executives with the Kings,'' but that such discussions won't take place now.]
https://twitter.com/#!/helenenothele...59495094222849

Quote:
Helene Elliott
‏ @helenenothelen
Canadiens are interested in talking to Kings asst GM Ron Hextall in addition to Luc Robitaille, their prez of business operations.
I can understand Hextall, but Luc? I think he has done an admirable job with business operations, but general manager? That's a mistake. They are purely forcing that French Canadian ideal to their doom.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Shellz

vCash: 500
Noooooo.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 02:54 PM
MynameisKing

Nooo Luc! Nooo!

MynameisKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Kings man 4 life

I just barfed in my mouth a little from reading that if Luc has any love for the Kings and pride as a player he'll give Montreal the finger. The concept of him running that franchise just makes my blood ****ing boil. Someobody post a You Tube vid of Obi'wan telling Luke to run.

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings man 4 life View Post
I just barfed in my mouth a little from reading that if Luc has any love for the Kings and pride as a player he'll give Montreal the finger. The concept of him running that franchise just makes my blood ****ing boil. Someobody post a You Tube vid of Obi'wan telling Luke to run.
He is a King for life, but if there is any team on the planet I could envision him leaving for, it is the Canadiens. He was born and raised in Montreal, grew up with the Habs as his favorite team, and is obviously fluent in French. The guy is a perfect match for them, French Canadien with no work experience or credentials

That said, I hope he stays. He belongs in Los Angeles. He's our treasure.

Old
04-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Capn Brown

Give them Luc!!! As long as Luc is never the GM here, I'll be happy. The guy has ZERO business sense!!!

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings man 4 life View Post

No, you've got it backwards. Luc will run that org into the ground!!! Then he'll be fired 6 years later with a basement-dwelling Montreal team. Won't that be nice?

Old
04-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
Give them Luc!!! As long as Luc is never the GM here, I'll be happy. The guy has ZERO business sense!!!
all i can do is... you make it sound so easy. what has Luc done that's so bad for the Kings?

Old
04-11-2012, 03:10 PM
SuperAlmeida

A "little bird" told me that Lombardi's job may be in jeopardy if we fail to proceed from the 1st round.

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
all i can do is... you make it sound so easy. what has Luc done that's so bad for the Kings?

On the business end, little things here and there. It's only hearsay, but some Canadian reporter suggested (2-3 seasons ago?) that there was some sort of power struggle between Luc & Lombardi. Something about Luc having an issue with Kopitar's contract, as if it was any of Luc's business.

And then Luc had the comments about "building around your captain". I don't know if this was regarding when Blake came back or Chris Pronger in Philly, but the implication was that if your captain was 36-years-old, then the GM needs to go out & get a bunch of other 36-year-olds to somehow compliment that aged leader.

Oh, and these boring black uniforms are because Luc was reminiscing about the Gretzky era.

Old
04-11-2012, 03:12 PM
jfont

Awards:
Luc I am your father!
Quote:
Noooooo.

04-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I doubt Luc would leave and if he did I don't think he'd be a good GM at all. Hextall I could see leaving and being a good GM. I just can't see the Kings giving permission while were in the playoffs.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Martyros

Quote:
On the business end, little things here and there. It's only hearsay, but some Canadian reporter suggested (2-3 seasons ago?) that there was some sort of power struggle between Luc & Lombardi. Something about Luc having an issue with Kopitar's contract, as if it was any of Luc's business.

And then Luc had the comments about "building around your captain". I don't know if this was regarding when Blake came back or Chris Pronger in Philly, but the implication was that if your captain was 36-years-old, then the GM needs to go out & get a bunch of other 36-year-olds to somehow compliment that aged leader.

Oh, and these boring black uniforms are because Luc was reminiscing about the Gretzky era.
Even Mike Milbury isn't dumb enough to get 36 year olds on the team just because your captain is 36 years old..... why in the world would Luc think like that? It's absurd.

Martyros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Shellz

Quote:

So, media said somehing that sounds like abunbch of horse crapl but you're going to believe it? Good call.

And what...? Why on earth do you think Luc would do that? Just because you build around an older captain doesn't mean all those players have to be older too.

As for those jerseys ....they sell. Have you been to a Kings game? They are everywhere. I would love to see them sell the forum blue and gold though.

I'm not saying he would make a good GM, but we really don't know. If I had to depend on your reasons on why he shouldn't be GM, I think I would rather take the chance

Old
04-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

I agree this is just pandering to the french Canadian crowd.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
A "little bird" told me that Lombardi's job may be in jeopardy if we fail to proceed from the 1st round.
Was it Woody Woodpecker? That ****er never shuts up.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:35 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Luc can go. Hextall stays.

Quote:
So far outside of the stupid black uniforms, not a thing. Let's keep it that way.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:38 PM
johnjm22

Hextall can speak French?

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:40 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
Consider the size of the bird's brain.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:50 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

I hope one/both of them get the job(s).

That said, I think it's very nieve of the Habs to be considering some of the names they have been for their GM spot. Hextall is a good choice for an interview I think, but Luc? Not nearly enough experience IMO.

They need to stand their ground with the fans and tell them we are going to hire who we think is the best person, and not give two ***** if the guy/gal is french, english, or speaks swahili.

Quebec accounts for roughly 2.5 per cent of the entire population of North American. Assuming you can push aside european candidates (which I'm surprised so many team do since there are some good cnadidates out there) you are still trying to staff the post of GM of the Montreal Canadiens, the most storied franchise in possibly the entire history of the spot, and are doing so by only considering one in every 50 possible candidates. It's absurd and unsustainable under the current NHL.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Luc can go. Hextall stays.

So far outside of the stupid black uniforms, not a thing. Let's keep it that way.
They can't be that stupid.

Old
04-11-2012, 03:55 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Luc just seems like too nice of a guy to be a good GM.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Pucknut50

Shame on everyone here. Just like the scouts who didn't think much of him back then its the same here now. Why do people here think he can't do the job? He's to nice a guy? Do we think all Ex-King players are losers? Well I love Luc and whatever he wants to do even if its being the Ducks GM I will always wish him well.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:56 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

I love Luc as a guy, but he would be a terrible GM.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Shame on everyone here. Just like the scouts who didn't think much of him back then its the same here now. Why do people here think he can't do the job? He's to nice a guy? Do we think all Ex-King players are losers? Well I love Luc and whatever he wants to do even if its being the Ducks GM I will always wish him well.
Luc has LA's eternal love and gratitude, but he has no experience, no formal education, little credentials. It isn't a knock on Luc, but they are thinking about making him GM, just because he has been around the game, there is a lot more to being a GM than just having first hand knowledge of the game. Would you want Sean Avery as a GM? Most hockey players don't go beyond to coaching or management, and when they do, they typically have to gather a good amount of experience on the sidelines or have had a good education and can use their status to get on the fast track. Luc obviously has tremendous status, but so does Gretzky, doesn't mean he can walk up and be a GM without any training or experience.