HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

Mathletic's April Mock Draft

Old
04-11-2012, 05:33 AM
Mathletic

vCash: 500
Mathletic's April Mock Draft

So, now knowing the top picks, I had to make a new mock

let me know what you think

Round 1

1 - Nail Yakupov, RW, Sarnia Sting, OHL

It remains to be seen what will happen with the pick, whether the Oils keep the pick or not. That said, Yakupov is comparable to a player like Stamkos coming out of the OHL. I like Murray, that said, as I mentionned in my previous mock, there's more value to picking a forward than there is to picking a defenseman.

Yakupov under cap control for quite some time is great value for Edmonton. Can't pass unless a monster deal is offered.

Alternate Pick: Ryan Murray

2 - Ryan Murray, D, Everett Silvertips, WHL

I see Murray as a Karl Alzner type with more upside. Btw, I like Alzner a lot. Possibly in the NHL as soon as next year. Even though Columbus is in much bigger need of forwards, Murray is money for them as they need good players.

Alternate Pick: Alex Galchenyuk

3 - Mikhail Grigorenko, C, Québec Remparts, LHJMQ

This pick comes down to how much upside you want from your pick. I think it comes down to Grigorenko or Galchenyuk for this pick. If it were up to me I'd go with Galchenyuk as I think he compares to players like Ryan Johansen, Logan Couture and Corey Perry. Players with good offensive upside, 2-way game and some grit to their game. That said, Grigorenko has shown more upside offensively and I'm sure it would be a more favorable pick for most Habs fans in the province than it would be for Galchenyuk.

Alternate Pick: Alex Galchenyuk

4 - Jacob Trouba, D, USA NTDP

Although the Isles haven't picked many d-men with their high picks, Trouba is a perfect fit for them. I think they already have good offensive players and depth with players like Rakhshani. They could use a bigger player on defense who plays a good 2-way game.

Alternate Pick: Filip Forsberg

5 - Alex Galchenyuk, C, Sarnia Sting, OHL

Galchenyuk fits the bill for both talent and "truculence". Though not a fighter and whatnot, still plays a good physical game. I compare Galchenyuk to players like Couture, Johansen and Perry.

Alternate Pick: Mathew Dumba

6 - Griffin Reinhart, D, Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL

No matter what happens with Schultz I'd still go with Reinhart. I think the Ducks have enough forwards also. Though they may want to add some depth in case players like Getzlaf and Perry don't sign long-term contracts. Reinhart would fit in as a replacement for Beauchemin some time down the road. I like Reinhart better than Dumba at that spot for his defensive game.

Alternate Pick: Mathew Dumba

7 - Mathew Dumba, D, Red Deer Rebels, WHL

Plenty of forwards in the system. Good defensive players with Brodin and Scandella. Dumba brings some offense to the table and fits in the pool of prospects for Minnesota.

Alternate Pick: Filip Forsberg

8 - Filip Forsberg, RW, Leksands IF, SuperElit, Sweden

Not sure if there's really a chance Forsberg falls that far but anyways. Fits the Hurricanes team. Hard-working guy, good on special teams. Protects the puck well and is a safe player.

Alternate Pick: Sebastian Collberg

9 - Sebastian Collberg, RW, Frölunda HC, SuperElit, Sweden

I could have gone Määttä here as he'd fit as a shutdown guy on the left side. Granted the Jets will need more offense and already have Yuen in the system, Collberg fills a need. Collberg also comes from the same organization as current prospect Klingberg.

Alternate Pick: Olli Määttä

10 - Morgan Rielly, D, Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL

Great potential offensively. For the time he played in the WHL, he was the top d-man this year I thought. That said, it's harder to make projections from a smaller sample of games, which ultimately hurts Rielly's chances to go higher for me.

Alternate Pick: Derrick Pouliot

11 - (from Colorado) Radek Faksa, C, Kitchener Rangers, OHL

Caps will need a 2nd centerman down the road. As soon as Backström went down, the whole offense went down. I like players like Eakin and Laich but they'll need more production from the 2nd line center position.

Alternate Pick: TomᚠHertl

12 - TomᚠHertl, C, HC Slavia Praha, Tipsport Extraliga, Czech Republic

I've been a fan of Hertl for some time. I don't think Ennis is the answer at center for Buffalo. With Adam playing left wing, there's still a spot for the 2nd line center position. Hertl is fairly big, good 2-way game and fits the bill for the organization.

Alternate Pick: Brendan Gaunce

13 - Brendan Gaunce, C, Belleville Bulls, OHL

Stars get bigger, add some skills and 2-way game. With Campbell coming in net they'll have to build a solid defensive game in front of him.

Alternate Pick: Phil Di Giuseppe

14 - Cody Ceci, D, Ottawa 67's OHL

Flames would like to add a centerman but it gets tougher at 14. Girgensons could fit though I don't think he's a n'1 in the making. Ceci has better value compared to other d-men than Girgensons does. Flames still need a top-end guy on the right side of their defense long-term. Could be ready as early as next year to make the jump to the NHL.

Alternate Pick: Zemgus Girgensons

15 - Olli Määttä, D, London Knights, OHL

Sens have tons of options. That said, Määttä would be a great fit next to Karlsson. More of a defensive player. Määttä has shown to be a great compliment on a good team in London playing a shutdown role.

Alternate Pick: Damon Severson

Last edited by Mathletic: 10-23-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 05:34 AM
Mathletic

16 - Colton Sissons, RW, Kelowna Rockets, WHL

Versatile player who can play both wing and center. Already captain of his team. Caps add some leadership for the future as well as a solid 2-way player.

17 - Derrick Pouliot, D, Portland Winterhawks, WHL

Tons of talent on offense. Defense is still good but could use more offense from the backend in the future. Pouliot could make a great duo with Gudbransson playing the offensive role. Has shown to be a great PP guy as well.

Alternate Pick: Jordan Schmaltz

18 - (from Los Angeles) Phil Di Giuseppe, LW, Michigan Wolverines, CCHA

Big kid, gives full effort all the time, 2-way game. Columbus would be better off with a more offensive player like Hudon but I doubt he goes that high with his size.

Alternate Pick: Charles Hudon

19 - Jordan Schmaltz, D, Green Bay Gamblers, USHL

Sharks need to add depth skills position. Schmaltz is a bit of a gamble. Not so great progression this year. Not the bigger guy either. That said, 3 years at UND should do him well and has tons of upside.

Alternate Pick: Teuvo Teräväinen

20 - Charles Hudon, LW, Chicoutimi Saguenéens, LHJMQ

One of my favorite players of the draft. I'm guessing Phoenix is coming over to Québec ... no disrespect to Coyotes fans ... that said, Hudon fills a need for the organization as they don't have tons of prospects on offense.

Alternate Pick: Martin Frk

21 - Andrei Vasilievski, G, Tolpar Ufa, MHL, Russia

Hawks can afford to take the BPA at any position. Big fan of Vasilievski for quite some time. Should go higher in the draft. That said, Russian factor and everything probably makes him fall. Wouldn't be surprised if he jumped to the AHL as soon as next year and NHL pretty soon ... not sure about his contract in Russia though, but I haven't heard he's signed long-term over in the KHL ...

22 - Martin Frk, RW, Halifax Mooseheads, LHJMQ

Devils could use some depth on the wing. Despite the injury, I still like the upside very much. He's coming along well since the slow comeback from the injury.

Alternate Pick: Teuvo Teräväinen

23 - (from Detroit) Timothé Bozon, LW, Kamloops Blazers, WHL

Bolts could use some more depth on the left side. Bozon has had a solid season. Produced well at ES, something the Bolts seem to value at the junior level.

Alternate Pick: Henrik Samuelsson

24 - Henrik Samuelsson, C, Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL

Boston doesn't have pressing needs. Samuelsson's stock rose for me with his play in Edmonton. Not a top line guy in the making but solid 2-way gritty game.

25 - Damon Severson, D, Kelowna Rockets, WHL

Big fan of Severson. One of the younger players of the draft. Still tons of room to grow for his game. Fills a need for Philly.

Alternate Pick: Slater Koekkoek

26 - (from Nashville) Carter Rigby, LW, Kelowna Rockets, WHL

I like both Rigby and Moroz much better than Tom Wilson. I think both have more offensive upside and still bring an edge. Rigby or Moroz may not be a 1st round pick ultimately but still great value for what they bring to the table.

Alternate Pick: Dalton Thrower

27 - Teuvo Teräväinen, RW, Jokerit, Jr. A SM-liiga, Finland

At first I was accused of having Teräväinen too high, now people have him in the top-10 That said, Pens have good depth on D. It still remains to be seen what will happen with Crosby, Malkin and Staal with their contracts and everything. So, Pens give themselves some leverage on offense.

Alternate Pick: Zemgus Girgensons

28 - Slater Koekkoek, D, Peterborough Petes, OHL

Good complement on the left side to players like Pietrangelo or Polak. Koekkoek probably ends up more of an offensive player.

Alternate Pick: Mitchell Moroz

29 - Malcolm Subban, G, Belleville, Bulls, OHL

No pressing needs for the Rangers in the organization. With Lundqvist not getting younger and no heir apparent in net, Subban could be ready for a backup role as Lundqvist nears 34 years old.

30 - Zemgus Girgensons, C, Dubuque Fighting Saints, USHL

Canucks can afford going for BPA. With Sedin and Kesler at C, Girgensons is better suited for the 3rd line role and Hodgson was. If need be, Zemgus could become a good 2nd line player down the road.

Alternate Pick: Anthony Mantha

Round 2

31 - Columbus: Pontus Åberg, W, Djurgårdens IF, Elitserien, Sweden
32 - Edmonton: Dalton Thrower, D, Saskatoon Blades, WHL
33 - Montréal: Stéfan Matteau, F, USA NTDP
34 - NY Islanders: Dylan Blujus, D, Brampton Battalion, OHL
35 - Toronto: Brady Skjei, D, USA NTDP
36 - Anaheim: Nicolas Kerdiles, F, USA NTDP
37 - Tampa Bay (from Minnesota via San Jose): Oscar Dansk, G, Brynäs IF, SuperElit, Sweden
38 - Carolina: Mike Winther, C, Prince Albert Raiders, WHL
39 - Winnipeg: Tanner Pearson, LW, Barrie Colts, OHL
40 - Tampa Bay: Mitchell Moroz, RW, Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL
41 - Colorado: Coda Gordon, LW, Swift Current Broncos, WHL
42 - Buffalo: Cody Corbett, D, Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL
43 - Dallas: Devin Shore, C, Whitby Fury, OJHL
44 - Buffalo (from Calgary): Scott Kosmachuk, RW, Guelph Storm, OHL
45 - Columbus (from Ottawa via Phoenix): Brandon Whitney, G, Victoriaville Tigres, LHJMQ
46 - Minnesota (from Washington via New Jersey): Matt Finn, D, Guelph Storm, OHL
47 - Tampa Bay (from Florida via Philadelphia): Ludvig Byström, D, MODO Hockey, Elitserien, Sweden
48 - Dallas (from Los Angeles via Philadelphia): Marcus McIvor, D, Brampton Battalion, OHL
49 - Carolina (from San Jose): Lukas Sutter, C, Saskatoon Blades, WHL
50 - Phoenix: Nikolai Prokhorkin, C, CSKA Moscow, KHL, Russia
51 - Chicago: Michael Matheson, D, Dubuque Fighting Saints, USHL
52 - New Jersey: Austin Cangelosi, F, Youngstown Phantoms, USHL
53 - Detroit: Adam Pelech, D, Erie Otters, OHL
54 - Colorado (from Boston via Toronto): Tom Wilson, RW, Plymouth Whalers, OHL
55 - San Jose (Compensatory Pick) - Troy Bourke, LW, Prince George Cougars, WHL
56 - Tampa Bay (from Philadelphia): Matia Marcantuoni, C, Kitchener Rangers, OHL
57 - Montréal (from Nashville): Brady Vail, LW, Windsor Spitfires, OHL
58 - Pittsburgh: Jarrod Maidens, C, Owen Sound Attack, OHL
59 - St. Louis: Scott Laughton, C, Oshawa Generals, OHL
60 - NY Rangers: Gemel Smith, C, Owen Sound Attack, OHL
61 - Vancouver: Raphaël Bussières, LW, Baie-Comeau Drakkar, LHJMQ

Last edited by Mathletic: 04-11-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old
04-11-2012, 07:12 AM
grits207

Good mock. Love it from a perspective. I'm sure a lot of people would complain about the Leafs taking Skjei in the 2nd round since he's American, but he could be a steal that late.

I'd be shocked if Girgensons fell that far. Stranger things have happened though.

grits207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:53 AM
DaaaaB's

As a Bruins fan, I like the Samuelsson pick but I doubt they pass on Koekkoek or Finn if they're available. I think you have Finn way too low, I could see him going as high as 15th. Pretty good mock though, most players are close to where I expect them to go.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 08:14 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Nice mock. Really hope the Wild don't pick Forsberg (we need either high end defense or elite offense, Forsberg is neither) though. In the second, I don't think the Wild will pass on Bystrom if he's available. Flahr loves his SEL defensemen.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grits207 View Post
Good mock. Love it from a perspective. I'm sure a lot of people would complain about the Leafs taking Skjei in the 2nd round since he's American, but he could be a steal that late.

I'd be shocked if Girgensons fell that far. Stranger things have happened though.
I had Girgensons fairly high to start the year. However, progress or lack thereof is pretty much what kills him in my rankings. Still like him though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
As a Bruins fan, I like the Samuelsson pick but I doubt they pass on Koekkoek or Finn if they're available. I think you have Finn way too low, I could see him going as high as 15th. Pretty good mock though, most players are close to where I expect them to go.
I was thinking of having Matt Finn to Philadelphia as they could use some more offense from the backend. That said, to me Finn kinda falls victim to the depth of the draft on defense. One of Mattheson, Finn, Koekkoek, Byström or others will fall to that reason and some forwards may be picked a little higher than they should. Only my feeling though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Nice mock. Really hope the Wild don't pick Forsberg (we need either high end defense or elite offense, Forsberg is neither) though. In the second, I don't think the Wild will pass on Bystrom if he's available. Flahr loves his SEL defensemen.
Good point on Byström. May be a better fit with the scouting staff than Finn is.

Old
04-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Scarecrow Boat

I like the mock draft simply cuz you have Galchenyuk to Toronto at #5. Makes all the sense in the world and still some people don't see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
21 - Andrei Vasilievski, G, Tolpar Ufa, MHL, Russia

Hawks can afford to take the BPA at any position. Big fan of Vasilievski for quite some time. Should go higher in the draft. That said, Russian factor and everything probably makes him fall. Wouldn't be surprised if he jumped to the AHL as soon as next year and NHL pretty soon

... not sure about his contract in Russia though, but I haven't heard he's signed long-term over in the KHL ...

Andrei Vasilevski. Two I's. Just thought a big fan of the kid would like to know

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
Andrei Vasilevski. Two I's. Just thought a big fan of the kid would like to know
Russian alphabet comes from Cyrillic writing system, so there's no one correct way to translate from russian writing to english writing. I write Vasilevski with a single i as eliteprospects has it that way. Not that eliteprospects is the ultimate source, it's just that sometimes people will want to check a guy's bio on eliteprospects and at times they won't retrieve the name because of accents and whatnot.

Also, if I'm not mistaken Andrei had his name written Vasilevskiy or yi ... can't remember ... at the U20 tournament.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:44 AM
arsmaster

I like your selections for Vancouver, what sucks about it...is I want Thrower too, and I dont want him to end up in Edmonton.

Girgensons is too good to pass up, especially at 30th

I like Busierres too, has some Burrows-esque qualities.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 10:50 AM
MPStoEberletoHall

Exactly what I want my oilers to do

MPStoEberletoHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 10:51 AM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Grigorenko compares to Corey perry? First time I've ever heard that one.

Like Kerdiles to the ducks though

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Grigorenko compares to Corey perry? First time I've ever heard that one.

Like Kerdiles to the ducks though
Galchenyuk that is. In the comments I wrote that if I were the Habs I'd go Galchenyuk over Grigorenko. Galchenyuk has a profile similar to players like Couture, Johansen and Perry among others. However, I believe the Habs will go Grigorenko over Galchenyuk.

Old
04-11-2012, 11:10 AM
herbst20

How can you say there is no lack of progress for Zemgus? He has put up 50 points in 47 games this year. He missed games due to Injury and playing at the WJC. Have you seen him play this year? He does it all for his team. Wow I am speechless!

herbst20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbst20 View Post
How can you say there is no lack of progress for Zemgus? He has put up 50 points in 47 games this year. He missed games due to Injury and playing at the WJC. Have you seen him play this year? He does it all for his team. Wow I am speechless!
yes I know he does it all on the ice. However, I would have liked to see more offense from him this year. His production totals haven't gone up much from last year. Improvements have come to the defensive part of his game, which is good, but I'd want more offense from that type of forward in order to go earlier in the draft.

Old
04-11-2012, 11:29 AM
herbst20

Of course your numbers are going to fall a bit when you lose wingers like Johnny Gaudreau and Vinny Saponari. But being a PPG guy is pretty good. I will be suprised if he falls past the Coyotes at 20.

herbst20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:41 AM
blueNwhite89

don't see forsberg falling that far at all.. if anything i think his stock is going to rise leading up to the draft

blueNwhite89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:47 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Teravainen is WAY too low. Someone will take him just so Pittsburgh won't be able to if he falls out of the top 15.

Like the Stars' picks, though.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLblue75 View Post
don't see forsberg falling that far at all.. if anything i think his stock is going to rise leading up to the draft
I'm sure he'll get considerable interest from top teams. However, unless someone trades up, I think the only team that might go for him would be the Islanders. Personally, I think they'd be better off with a solid defenseman over a forward.

Outside of that, I don't see Toronto passing on Galchenyuk if available. Ducks and Wild are pretty much loaded with top-6 players and have needs at other positions.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:19 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
I have no complaints. If the Leafs can get out of the first round with Galchenyuk that will be huge. Also like the Skjei pick. Balance things out with adding to the defence and the guy has good size.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:15 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

lol at Rakhshani being considered "offensive depth"

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZebra View Post
lol at Rakhshani being considered "offensive depth"
I know people barely consider him a prospect but will he ever have a shot at playing top line minutes? Kid has always done well wherever he's gone. Seems to me people expect him to work his way up the lineup when he's an offensive guy.

Old
04-11-2012, 04:25 PM
chunkbox

no way in hell Columbus does not draft a goalie in the first or second round

chunkbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkbox View Post
no way in hell Columbus does not draft a goalie in the first or second round
whether they pick a goalie in the first, second, or third doesn't change much for them. They have an immediate need at the position and it's very unlikely anyone in this draft will help them next year.

That said, funny you say that because last year I always had John Gibson either going to Anaheim or Columbus and almost all Jackets fans told me that Columbus didn't need a goalie with Mason coming back on track and depth with York and Corbeil.

Old
04-11-2012, 04:53 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

If Martin Frk, Pontus Aberg, Zemus Girgensons and Ludvig Bystrom are still on the board.. I don't think there's any chance Chicago takes a goaltender.

They do need a higher level goaltending prospect.. but with the unpredictability of the position via drafting.. I don't think he'd be the best player at that spot.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote