HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bonk...?

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2006, 11:53 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Bonk...?

I didn't see the game tonight,
but in looking at the stats from the game, Bonk played more minutes than any other habs foward by quite a bit...
He logged a ton of PK minutes and took the bulk of the face offs (21 of 60).

I haven't had a chance to see many habs games this year (living out west is brutal now that Radio-canada no longer broadcasts the games), but all year I've been hearing mostly negatives about his play...

My question is this, If Gainey giving him so much ice time to showcase him? or is he playing that well (in every area but putting up points) that he has earned Gainey's confidence, which indicates that he is a very valuable piece of our lineup (and maybe worth the considerable $$ that he's being paid)?

Comments from people who have watched the last few games would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old
03-05-2006, 12:14 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time
My question is this, If Gainey giving him so much ice time to showcase him? or is he playing that well (in every area but putting up points) that he has earned Gainey's confidence, which indicates that he is a very valuable piece of our lineup (and maybe worth the considerable $$ that he's being paid)?
It's not to showcase him...if Gainey has a good aoofer for him, he will probably trade him but I'm sure he likes to have him in his line-up.

He's playing well, good on the PK, can be good offensively but don't produce much...

Old
03-05-2006, 12:16 AM
Shabutie

He and Begin are the first wave PKers, they have been for a while now. Gainey came to the conclussion (3 weeks or so ago) that in order for Bonk to not suck, he had to log bottom pairing minutes in 5 on 5 and 1/2 of our PK time. It's worked rather well, he doesn't seem to be making the same stupid mistakes as he used to. In the first 2 periods I believe Kovalev saw 6 minutes of icetime, hehe. I believe that Gainey has really figured out what works for this team as all of; Komi, Bonk and Dandenault have been playing better then they were under Julien.

Old
03-05-2006, 12:37 AM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
He and Begin are the first wave PKers, they have been for a while now. Gainey came to the conclussion (3 weeks or so ago) that in order for Bonk to not suck, he had to log bottom pairing minutes in 5 on 5 and 1/2 of our PK time. It's worked rather well, he doesn't seem to be making the same stupid mistakes as he used to. In the first 2 periods I believe Kovalev saw 6 minutes of icetime, hehe. I believe that Gainey has really figured out what works for this team as all of; Komi, Bonk and Dandenault have been playing better then they were under Julien.
Agreed. With Bonk given minimal responsiblity 5 on 5 he does well and as a PKer he does an excellent job imo.

Agree about the last point as well. Pairing Komi with Markov has been great, he has been playing fantastic hockey of late. Bonk as well, he's by no means a superstar, but I can't really find much to fault him for. Even Dandy, I'm not complaining that much about him anymore.

Old
03-05-2006, 12:38 AM
Artyukhin*

bonk played a real good game tonight

11:23 of his 20 mins was played on the penealty kill
him and begin are gold together along with arron downey when he get mins on that line at even strength .

begin played 10:53 of his 18:36 on the penealty kill

next closet foward on the penealty kill was 4:05 chris higgins

bonk is earning his money just in a diffrent role . sure his 2.3 million salry seems high but it took the lighting 7 times on the power play before they scored one

this team is taking a ungodly amount of penealtys latley and there getting killed off thanks to the above 2 guys

i dont want to deal bonk i feel he is a pretty versitle option for the habs

looks like a bargin compared to peca ..

Old
03-05-2006, 08:29 AM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time
I didn't see the game tonight,
but in looking at the stats from the game, Bonk played more minutes than any other habs foward by quite a bit...
He logged a ton of PK minutes and took the bulk of the face offs (21 of 60).

I haven't had a chance to see many habs games this year (living out west is brutal now that Radio-canada no longer broadcasts the games), but all year I've been hearing mostly negatives about his play...

Comments from people who have watched the last few games would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
I always liked Bonk. He has had some trouble producing offensivly but he is our Best PKer in my opinion. Higgins and Plekanec are good too though. I think everyone would like bonk if he made a milion less but thats not the case. He is playing some solid hockey but right now he is playing on the fourth line with Downey and Begin so it's though for him to put up points. Most of his ice time comes from killing penalties which he does great.

Old
03-05-2006, 08:46 AM
RC51

Bonk is down to PK duties.
Until Gainey can find a better deal.

Clearly 2+mil for this is overpaying.

At least Bonk is responding with a good PK role, but Bonk must be seeing a sign in the sky from here to China.

I just think no other club wants him and although he might be a role player for a few more years ( not with the habs ) His next contract will be 500k somewhere else.
It just seems to me he is glad of his current contract and early retirement in on his mind at this point. He has made great money and is happy enough with what he has in his stock portfolio.

Last edited by RC51: 03-05-2006 at 08:51 AM.
Old
03-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Bonk did play a tad more 5 on 5 than he would as a 4th liner now than before the olympic break.

I didnt check the stats but i would suggest having a 5-3 lead and a 6-2 lead late in the Isles and Tampa games had something to do with it. Especially against the Isles, it was obvious Bonk was there frequently late so Gainey could give a break to the Olympians, especially Koivu.

+ pk time... the amount of penalties taken is ridiculous right now, this will have to be fixe.

Old
03-05-2006, 10:27 AM
plafleur10

Pk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51
Bonk is down to PK duties.
Until Gainey can find a better deal.

Clearly 2+mil for this is overpaying.

At least Bonk is responding with a good PK role, but Bonk must be seeing a sign in the sky from here to China.

I just think no other club wants him and although he might be a role player for a few more years ( not with the habs ) His next contract will be 500k somewhere else.
It just seems to me he is glad of his current contract and early retirement in on his mind at this point. He has made great money and is happy enough with what he has in his stock portfolio.
PK duties are turning out to be very important in the new NHL.

Old
03-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10
PK duties are turning out to be very important in the new NHL.
Especially when you've got Zednik on your team.

Closed Thread