HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Green Day to release 3 albums

Old
04-11-2012, 05:19 PM
josephwild123
Wild Idiot

vCash: 626
Green Day to release 3 albums

Billie Joe Armstrong's Twitter
Quote:
Ok. Here's the deal. We're making a 3 album trilogy. Not 1. Not 2. But 3 albums. Called ¡UNO! ¡DOS! ¡TRE! Coming September November January

From Idiot Club:

This is awesome. Any Green Day fans here?

Last edited by josephwild123: 04-11-2012 at 07:11 PM.
josephwild123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Unholy

vCash: 500
That seems like overkill. I know they have worked hard in the past on their albums but I hope they don't try and breeze through these.

I will be looking forward to the first one and see how that goes.

04-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Meh ,, Haven't been impressed with Green Day since Nimrod

Warning = Some decent songs but not that great of an album
American Idiot = Again some decent songs ,, Got too much airplay though on the hits
21st Century Breakdown = Total ####

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Brodeur

"Older" Green Day fan here. Their pre-Dookie songs remain amongst my favorites. Grew up listening to the songs driven by teen angst, but not a big fan of the quasi-political stuff of late. But they still put on a heck of a live show.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of theme they'll have with the three albums. Whether or not each album might be a standalone or if they'll try to tie it together.

I still find it funny that they essentially scrapped an entire album (Cigarettes and Valentines) in 2003 because they realized it wasn't good.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 06:51 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

I'd much rather have 1 good album then 3 mediocre ones. Hopefully they won't be mediocre.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:04 PM
ClicheGuevara

Sounds like it'll be Green Day's Sandinista!

ClicheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:08 PM
JackFr

Whatever. I'm sure they'll have at least 12 total good songs so I'll just compile one great album.

JackFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:13 PM
re5piration
'67 til

Hopefully it has quality songs like American Idiot. 2CB wasn't nearly as good as I anticipated it to be.

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:59 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
I'd much rather have 1 good album then 3 mediocre ones. Hopefully they won't be mediocre.
pretty much this

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Well their last two albums were pure garbage. They simply are not a 'grandiose' band. Linkin Park can pull it off, Green Day cannot.

I read somewhere that their new stuff would be like their old stuff.

Dookie and Nimrod were two of my favorite albums as a kid. Hard bass line, and hard to understand vocals

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Takeo

For all intents and purposes, Green Day ended after Nimrod.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 09:53 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Wow. I'll buy em for sure. Can't remember the last time a band I liked did this.

Could be interesting to see how a tour would play out and how many tracks would be on each record. Blink 182 only had 9 on Neighborhoods...doubt Green Day would do that though. Either way we can expect like 27-38 new GD songs.

I think all the older fans, the ones who grew up on Nimrod and Dookie would probably like these. They've stated numerous times that they're dropping the grandiose style from the last two and going back to the old punk sound. Don't know if it'll be exactly like the old days, might be closer to what they did with Foxboro Hot Tubs, but as long as they can mix the old with the new it should be interesting.

Last edited by DuckJet: 04-11-2012 at 10:07 PM.
DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 09:53 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulie View Post
Hopefully it has quality songs like American Idiot. 2CB wasn't nearly as good as I anticipated it to be.
I agree. I think it was made with the best intentions and a complete effort, but it was an effort to build on something like American Idiot, whose success I thought was a bit of an accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Well their last two albums were pure garbage. They simply are not a 'grandiose' band. Linkin Park can pull it off, Green Day cannot.

Dookie and Nimrod were two of my favorite albums as a kid. Hard bass line, and hard to understand vocals
I'd agree with you on 21stCB, but American Idiot was a pretty good album. Grandiose was semi-intentional with that one. They went for a more mature sound. 21stCB was practically operatic and they fell on their faces.

Last edited by DuckJet: 04-11-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old
04-11-2012, 10:15 PM
josephwild123
Wild Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post

I hate when people compare Green Day and Linkin Park. They aren't alike.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:19 PM
josephwild123
Wild Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Wow. I'll buy em for sure. Can't remember the last time a band I liked did this.

Could be interesting to see how a tour would play out and how many tracks would be on each record. Blink 182 only had 9 on Neighborhoods...doubt Green Day would do that though. Either way we can expect like 27-38 new GD songs.

I think all the older fans, the ones who grew up on Nimrod and Dookie would probably like these. They've stated numerous times that they're dropping the grandiose style from the last two and going back to the old punk sound. Don't know if it'll be exactly like the old days, might be closer to what they did with Foxboro Hot Tubs, but as long as they can mix the old with the new it should be interesting.
Now this is a guy that understands them. New Video

I don't think any other bands have done this.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:47 PM
Unholy

21st grew on me after a while. At least most of it did.

Mike singing a bit is just great.

Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:50 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
21st grew on me after a while. At least most of it did.

Mike singing a bit is just great.
Do not like that song. Probably my least favorite Green Day song. I can listen to some 21stCB songs when they come on (East Jesus, Murder City, Static Age, Enemy, Viva la Gloria 1 and 2) but this was terrible other Green Day songs y'know protested Republican politics on a subtle level...I'm independent so I don't care either way, I just can't stand it when politics gets nasty, and this song is pure unfiltered political spew. It doesn't have a place in this genre.

That said, despite 21cb being a disappointing album, they are REALLY good live these days. I see a lot of bands...and this isn't just a matter of talent. Lot's of bands go up, play their songs, maybe their frontman gives us something to look at, then they're gone...Green Day puts on a show. They do a great job of entertaining, and their performances have been almost flawless. And not much has changed since American Idiot (I only say that because in my opinion the live recording of Holiday on Bullet in a Bible was better than the studio version) but my first Green Day show was during the Dookie days, they've improved a LOT since then.

Last edited by DuckJet: 04-11-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old
04-12-2012, 12:00 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1429
Saw them in Milton Keyes here in the UK and loved them

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 12:32 AM
Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
Indeed. I have zero faith that they can pull this off.

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 12:34 AM
TTOMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
For all intents and purposes, Green Day ended after Nimrod.
Oh you know it. They don't even exist to me anymore.

TTOMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 01:52 AM
Sundance
You Can Never Get To

Can you say - pretentious.

Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:14 AM
SomeDude

Bush isn't in office anymore. How did they find material to write about?

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:40 AM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
Bush isn't in office anymore. How did they find material to write about?
They wrote about the aftermass of his presidency. Read it in MTV when the album came out.

Old
04-12-2012, 12:24 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
"Older" Green Day fan here. Their pre-Dookie songs remain amongst my favorites. Grew up listening to the songs driven by teen angst, but not a big fan of the quasi-political stuff of late. But they still put on a heck of a live show.
agreed.

So I guess this means 1-2-3 should produce about 6-8 songs total that are decent, with the rest of it being political garbage or old filler songs that didn't make previous CDs?

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 12:41 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
agreed.

So I guess this means 1-2-3 should produce about 6-8 songs total that are decent, with the rest of it being political garbage or old filler songs that didn't make previous CDs?
Well...you can never take a band's word for it 100% but when they did the secret show where they played 15 songs they announced that they had written 50 songs and counting since 21stCB dropped.

I mean it's safe to assume that most of them will be garbage since we say what happened when GD loaded their last album with more songs than we needed (some of their b-sides were better than some of the songs on the album) but Billie Joe wrote 21stCB LONG after American Idiot was over.

It can only be assumed that most of these songs were written on tour. And again I can only assume, but while you're on tour it's probably a great time to draw inspiration for new stuff.

The best hope for older fans is that
1.) 21stCB was in my mind a desperate Grammy grab. Can't see how a best rock album can be awarded to a 3 part album.

2.) Uno!Dos!Tre in itself. 21stCB was a very serious attempt at maturity, the albums they plan on releasing are already denoted
with a air of immaturity.

3.) Green Day promised a return to the old sound while using what they learned from the new sound to make something potentially better. Could clash into something ugly, but it could hit too.

4.) Lately from what I've seen Green Day has been going back to how they used to be in the 90's. I went to an American Idiot show, and a 21stCB show. The difference is stark. AI, Billie had a ton of energy, but he was there to rock. 21stCB, despite a more bold and mature album they were all goofing off on a huge level + the entire set-list was only like 25% AI-21stCB songs.

Just a thought. Still gotta give props to Green Day as a band though, 21stCB+it's b-sides came out to 21 songs that they had to remember. And I read a report that when writing 21stCB they had written 32 songs. We can expect at least that on the next album set. Or we could believe what they're saying and believe that they wrote 50 songs. That's 82 songs for two studio efforts. As mediocre as some of them might have been, that's quite a feat.