HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What should Gainey do?

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Alouette_19

vCash: 500
Zednik was supposed to be with Ryder the natural-scorer of this team....with less than 20 goals right now is a disappointement.....

Let's trade him (Zednik) for a goal scorer UFA....like I don't know Selanne for example

Maybe a guy like Keith Carney could be interesting for the depth in defence.....

BG has no excuses for not making a trade the team is playing well and the value of players like Ribeiro, Souray is good right now......I don't see a major deal but BG must do a trade for show the players that the team is planning for the playoff!

Old
03-05-2006, 10:12 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alouette_19
Zednik was supposed to be with Ryder the natural-scorer of this team....with less than 20 goals right now is a disappointement.....

Let's trade him (Zednik) for a goal scorer UFA....like I don't know Selanne for example

Maybe a guy like Keith Carney could be interesting for the depth in defence.....

BG has no excuses for not making a trade the team is playing well and the value of players like Ribeiro, Souray is good right now......I don't see a major deal but BG must do a trade for show the players that the team is planning for the playoff!
I agree. He still makes mistakes but I think he's a big part of our team chemistry. And he's still one tough mother.

Cap

Old
03-05-2006, 10:12 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano
He certainly has all the tools to be lethal, just never seems to put it together. Of course if he signs with Philly in the off-season he'll become a 50 goal man and score 4 against us every game.

In the end I like Jan and I hope we re-sign him, but I hope he's not greedy.

Cap
If an upgrade is found on the blueline and/or, one more quality forward, [3-4M range each], space has to be made, and it makes re-signing him doubtful. Of course, Gainey's evaluation may be different than mine, and probably of more value. Having him as GM certainly makes you an armchair GM as you have no idea what they're thinking is.

Old
03-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Habs13

Bonk played a great game yesterday vs. the Lightning. Nothing offensivly but he was solid on PK and with all the stupid penalties we're still taking, we still do need him. He and Begin form a great pair, as do Higgins and Plekanec. For now, I'd keep him and hope he regains his form and can actually start chipping in in the offensive zone.

As for trades, I'd move Sundstrom who isn't even playing with us right now and is UFA at seasons end, Zednik is taking too many stupid, lazy penalties and Ribeiro... well, actually I'd still hang onto Ribeiro and Zednik to see if they can regain their form from two years ago.

However, if the right player was offered, I'd let them go. And for some defensive help. We have good scoring forwards and good grinders... but we do lack defenceman on the team and on the farm.

Old
03-05-2006, 10:36 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by NhlGuy
I'm unsure but if they count against the cap if do wouldn't they be in the roster? they had to make cap space for whoever that injured player was to return, so if that's the case then Mogilny's salary does not count
From TSN.ca

New Jersey Devils - Unless they trade forward Alexander Mogilny and defenceman Vladimir Malakhov, the Devils will be in salary cap trouble next year. The team is going to have to eat up $7.1 million US in cap room for two players who quite likely will be retired. Mogilny's $3.5 million salary and Malakhov's $3.6 million are going to put the Devils behind the salary cap eight ball, even if they're not actually paying them. Their deals also gave the Devils little breathing room under this year's cap. So are the Devils going to be buyers on deadline day? Probably not.

By sending a player to the minors you cannot save the cap space. This would be to easy for teams.

Old
03-05-2006, 10:50 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf
From TSN.ca

New Jersey Devils - Unless they trade forward Alexander Mogilny and defenceman Vladimir Malakhov, the Devils will be in salary cap trouble next year. The team is going to have to eat up $7.1 million US in cap room for two players who quite likely will be retired. Mogilny's $3.5 million salary and Malakhov's $3.6 million are going to put the Devils behind the salary cap eight ball, even if they're not actually paying them. Their deals also gave the Devils little breathing room under this year's cap. So are the Devils going to be buyers on deadline day? Probably not.

By sending a player to the minors you cannot save the cap space. This would be to easy for teams.
I could never figure out what Lou Lams was doing with these 2 guys...big contracts from a team that doesn't want to pay its stars... Now they have to deal with this, makes Lou look bad IMO...

Old
03-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
If an upgrade is found on the blueline and/or, one more quality forward, [3-4M range each], space has to be made, and it makes re-signing him doubtful. Of course, Gainey's evaluation may be different than mine, and probably of more value. Having him as GM certainly makes you an armchair GM as you have no idea what they're thinking is.
Ya, I agree, Jan will be one of those question marks at the end of the year. A lot of hab fans are divided on him. I tend to see the negative side of arguments so I'll take the high road on Jan and say that he serves his purpose on our team. I'd rather have him than a guy like Nik Antropov. Jan is an unselfish player that seems like a genuine team guy, doesn't complain one way or the other. When he was supposed to be benched against the flyers that time, he said nothing negative to the media about it, and didn't gloat after his 4 goal performance.

So I like Jan, and I hope we sign him. But it's obvious or D needs more attention so I wouldn't be surprised to see Gainey let him sign elsewhere.

Cap

Old
03-05-2006, 11:56 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf
From TSN.ca

It doesn not count this year.
Here is why it will count next year
http://www.canuckscorner.com/weblog/...andy_andy.html
"There is a specific clause in the CBA that says if a player is 35 or older and signs a multi-year contract, his second year of the contract will count against the cap even if the player retires or is suspended. "

and this
http://www.canuckscorner.com/weblog/...bany_almo.html

Old
03-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Teufelsdreck

I think Bulis is a useful part of the tool kit. I wouldn't like to lose him as a UFA.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:50 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alouette_19

If he needs to give Higgins and Komisarek to get Selane and Salei , like it was said , Yes , Gainey has some excuse for not making a trade . A trade is something not so easy to do ; you don't get a Jokinen by giving a Ribeiro or a Zednik .

Gainey is rumourded to have try to get Jokinen , Witt, Carney, Salei, Kuba,Bell , Arnasson, Calder , Morisson , Selane, Lang , Richards , Sopel but he still doesn't make any trade . If other teams ask too much , you don't trade with them just to say '' i made a deal ''

Closed Thread