HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Briere's blatant offside goal ruling question

Old
04-11-2012, 11:30 PM
dan1el

vCash: 500
Briere's blatant offside goal ruling question

So I was watching the Flyers-Penguins and Briere scored a goal while he was about 2 feet offside.

My buddy told me that an offside goal was "non-reviewable", meaning that if a player scores a goal while going offisde, like Briere tonight, and it is called a goal on the ice, it cannot be reviewed.

Can somebody please explain what the NHL's logic is behind that? I racked my brain and couldn't think of anything.

dan1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:36 PM
ONTHEFLYGUY

it was definately a missed call and it sucks if your a pens fan but calls are missed all the time. you cant let one bad call cost you the game. the pens were out worked and it cost them

ONTHEFLYGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:37 PM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1el View Post
So I was watching the Flyers-Penguins and Briere scored a goal while he was about 2 feet offside.

My buddy told me that an offside goal was "non-reviewable", meaning that if a player scores a goal while going offisde, like Briere tonight, and it is called a goal on the ice, it cannot be reviewed.

Can somebody please explain what the NHL's logic is behind that? I racked my brain and couldn't think of anything.
As I was watching the replay I was like "that's not offside"...then I realized Philadelphia was on a breakaway, not Pittsburgh.

CpatainCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:38 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Just like they can't review the icing on the Pens third goal. BOTH team got away with one.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:38 PM
dan1el

Okay, I know it was a blown call, can you please actually read the question?
And no, I am not a pens fan.

Old
04-11-2012, 11:39 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:

Maybe because the referee didn't make the call? Or maybe because if the linesman misses an offside the play goes on. I don't really have a clear answer.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Snipeshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
Just like they can't review the icing on the Pens third goal. BOTH team got away with one.
The linesman waved that off..

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:42 PM
Robbler

I wonder how many people will disregard the fact the Penguins got a botched icing call in their favour.

Robbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:43 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
That was a horrible missed call. Yes, I am a Flyers fan.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

it was a missed call, but the penguins third goal happened because of a blown icing call. it goes both ways.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SebastianHornbuckle*

I don't feel bad for you

SebastianHornbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
There was miscommunication between two linesman. One linesman (the one farther away) said it was icing. The linesman near the Flyers zone waved it off.

How is Cobourn supposed to know if the icing is on or not if he's already past both linesman.

It was a late call to waive it off. Both teams got away with one.

Plus, the Pens have MUCH bigger issues than Briere's offside goal. 3-0 has to be the worst lead in hockey.

Players are probably thinking of going home and watching TV or going out after the first period and before you know it, it's 3-3 and then 4-3.

Bruins are very familiar with this.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

It seems pretty clear to me that the linesman had the previous blown call, the icing waived off on Penguins third, in the back of his mind.

He's on a bad angle, he's about to blow his whistle as you see he starts to raise his hand. At this moment I feel he isn't 100% sure because of the bad angle and makes the decision that he's going to give the benefit of the doubt to the Flyers and let's this one go their way.

Imagine if he'd blown it dead and it was onside? Linesman call helps score Pittsburgh third, Linesman call kills Briere's breakaway?

Seems clear to me the two plays, that basically voided each other, were very connected.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:46 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I don't believe that an onside/offside call is reviewable after a goal is scored.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:47 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
The linesman waved the offside off too.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Lutefisk

Quote:

Wild guess, but I would bet that questionable goals can be reviewed, but not questionable calls (or missed calls) that precede goals. The goal itself, in isolation, was fine. It was the missed call before it that can't be reviewed.

An analogy would be if a player high sticked somebody right before his team scores a goal. If the penalty was caught, then no goal. If the penalty was missed, you can't review the goal, because the goal itself was fine.

Again, just guessing. Wildly.

Lutefisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:49 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Okay, I know it was a blown call, can you please actually read the question?
And no, I am not a pens fan.
Only certain things are listed as reviewable. Offside is not one of them, probably because it's not usually that connected to the goal. Would you want the NHL going back 45 seconds to reverse a goal because the team was offside originally?

Old
04-11-2012, 11:51 PM
dan1el

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutefisk View Post
Wild guess, but I would bet that questionable goals can be reviewed, but not questionable calls (or missed calls) that precede goals. The goal itself, in isolation, was fine. It was the missed call before it that can't be reviewed.

An analogy would be if a player high sticked somebody right before his team scores a goal. If the penalty was caught, then no goal. If the penalty was missed, you can't review the goal, because the goal itself was fine.

Again, just guessing. Wildly.
Ah, I think your spot on with that. And thank you for being the only person who answered the question instead of trying to turn this into a Penguins-bashing thread.

Old
04-11-2012, 11:53 PM
bring back the jets

pens got screwed over pretty hard tonight imo but i dont really care who wins this series anways so meh

bring back the jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:59 PM
Stephen

I don't understand why there simply isn't a phone call from the video booth to negate plainly bad calls? Just seems like it would make too much sense: "Hey ref, that was offside, no goal. Ok bye." Just seems like that's the way to protect the integrity of the game the best way instead of having an arcane system of rules to mask incompetence. I'm not crying about the goal, I just mean in general.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 12:00 AM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I don't understand why there simply isn't a phone call from the video booth to negate plainly bad calls? Just seems like it would make too much sense: "Hey ref, that was offside, no goal. Ok bye." Just seems like that's the way to protect the integrity of the game the best way instead of having an arcane system of rules to mask incompetence. I'm not crying about the goal, I just mean in general.
Because that would slow the game down. What's the next step? Eliminating referees?

teegale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 12:02 AM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Are you going to go to review to determine where a faceoff should be because of a deflection or defensemen joining a scrum? Are you going to call a TMM penalty after 1:15 of game play due a review?

Officials calls aren't perfect ever, but it would slow the game down terribly to try to make it so.

Old
04-12-2012, 12:03 AM
SebastianHornbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCrosby View Post
If it was Crosby or Malkin offsides the call gets made.. Whats done is done.. Philly fans are probably happy with the tainted win but I guess they will take what they can get
You're definitely wrong, it's not just Philly fans that are happy

Old
04-12-2012, 12:08 AM
KingCrosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebastianHornbuckle View Post
You're definitely wrong, it's not just Philly fans that are happy
This proves my theory.. The NHL, officials and all other fans are against us.. We love your tears. We have the top 2 players in the NHL, a future multiple Norris winner in Letang, a future Selke winner in Staal and future Vezina in MAF and a few Richards by Crosby, Malkin and Neal.

KingCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 12:10 AM
SebastianHornbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCrosby View Post
This proves my theory.. The NHL, officials and all other fans are against us.. We love your tears. We have the top 2 players in the NHL, a future multiple Norris winner in Letang, a future Selke winner in Staal and future Vezina in MAF and a few Richards by Crosby, Malkin and Neal.
if only your future had a stanley cup in it