HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Briere's blatant offside goal ruling question

Old
04-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Avs44
Chicago? Chicago

vCash: 380
Human error is part of the game. If this was in favor of your team you wouldn't gave made this thread. Things happen. Suck it up.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:24 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCrosby View Post
This proves my theory.. The NHL, officials and all other fans are against us.. We love your tears. We have the top 2 players in the NHL, a future multiple Norris winner in Letang, a future Selke winner in Staal and future Vezina in MAF and a few Richards by Crosby, Malkin and Neal.
i invite you to rewatch the overtime game winner.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:30 PM
HeavyHammer
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post

HeavyHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:31 PM
VJ Rangerfan

Send a message via AIM to VJ Rangerfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
zzzzzinggggg

VJ Rangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:31 PM
missingchicklet

Every fan base thinks the refs are out to get them. Conclusion: refs make mistakes for every team.

missingchicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:39 PM
alcoraces

Let`s put it in terms most will understand:

In baseball a blown out call is not reviewable, even if it costs a team the game.

In football a missed holding call on the line that opens a hole and allows the running back to scamper in for the gw td is not reviewable.

In basketball a missed call on an obvious foul as the shooter is trying to lay in the game winning basket is not reviewable.

These are all judgmental calls, as was the blown off-side call tonight. None of this is reviewable, nor should any of them ever be reviewable. It's just part of the game and over the years, they usually even out.

alcoraces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:40 PM
ponder

Not many calls are reviewable, even goaltender interference isn't reviewable, and that's normally WAY more directly related to goals than offside calls.

This was a bad missed call by the refs, but these things happen. The Pens could have won the game regardless, and can still easily win the series, it's just game 1.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:42 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Maybe it's just me, but a missed icing call does not equal an offside that leads to a breakaway.

I mean, you still have to retrieve the puck. and the Pens had to battle for it. The off-side just led to a much greater chance.

Anyways, it happens. The linesmen make mistakes, but I bet they get a talk with whoever manages them.

EDIT: In the end, Pittsburgh lost because they didn't play well in Period 2, 3 and OT, and not because of that call.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:50 PM
5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Hopefully they change the rules to be like the NFL, where any scoring play can be reviewed. Although, even then, I doubt they'd include missed off-sides in the definition.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Fred Murtz

Just wow, how could they miss that offsides?

Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:54 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Murtz View Post
Just wow, how could they miss that offsides?

Linesman got caught like 20 feet up the ice, didn't have a good angle.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 12:00 AM
Oil Gauge
5+14+6+1=97

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1el View Post
Okay, I know it was a blown call, can you please actually read the question?
And no, I am not a pens fan.
The reason that it was not reviewed is because only goals are reviewable as mentioned previous. The reason why is because if you review that offside you have to review every offside for the duration of the play going back to the last whistle. If the play goes say 9 or 10 minutes without a whistle which can happen then you are stuck going through 9 or 10 minutes of video to review every offside opportunity that could have happened. If you do happen to find something that happened say 8 minutes ago you have to go back 8 minutes in the game and start playing again from there. If you decided that offsides can be reviewed like that you also have to review icing, high sticking, glove passes, puck out of play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
There was miscommunication between two linesman. One linesman (the one farther away) said it was icing. The linesman near the Flyers zone waved it off.

How is Cobourn supposed to know if the icing is on or not if he's already past both linesman.

It was a late call to waive it off. Both teams got away with one.

Plus, the Pens have MUCH bigger issues than Briere's offside goal. 3-0 has to be the worst lead in hockey.

Players are probably thinking of going home and watching TV or going out after the first period and before you know it, it's 3-3 and then 4-3.

Bruins are very familiar with this.
The back linesman is not saying that it is icing, he is indicating that it could be icing. Basically he is saying to the other linesman that the puck was shot from behind the red line and it could be icing, it is then up to the other ref to decide if it is still icing when it gets to the far end of the ice. He may choose to waive it off if he feels that a defensive player could have played the puck, or if he see's it tough a defensive player, or if he feels that the play was a pass and the receiving player just missed it but should have been able to accept the pass. The back linesman can also waive the icing off if he see's any of these things.

I didn't see this part of the game live but watching the TSN recap it doesn't look like that bad of a call if its a bad call at all. You can't see the puck in the play but it looks like there were 2 or 3 flyers who could have got to the puck before it reached the goal line. Would be nice to see a reverse angle if anyone has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I don't understand why there simply isn't a phone call from the video booth to negate plainly bad calls? Just seems like it would make too much sense: "Hey ref, that was offside, no goal. Ok bye." Just seems like that's the way to protect the integrity of the game the best way instead of having an arcane system of rules to mask incompetence. I'm not crying about the goal, I just mean in general.
I'd like to see a challenge flag for stuff like this that is involved immediately before the play, or for bad calls.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 12:09 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCrosby View Post
This proves my theory.. The NHL, officials and all other fans are against us.. We love your tears. We have the top 2 players in the NHL, a future multiple Norris winner in Letang, a future Selke winner in Staal and future Vezina in MAF and a few Richards by Crosby, Malkin and Neal.
All of us love Crosby's tears.

Just kidding. We hate them too.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 12:24 AM
JimmyStart*

Brutal non call. Brutal posts by kingcrosby stop embarassing yourself kid

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 12:51 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1el View Post
So I was watching the Flyers-Penguins and Briere scored a goal while he was about 2 feet offside.

My buddy told me that an offside goal was "non-reviewable", meaning that if a player scores a goal while going offisde, like Briere tonight, and it is called a goal on the ice, it cannot be reviewed.

Can somebody please explain what the NHL's logic is behind that? I racked my brain and couldn't think of anything.
You can't review everything. So it is cut down to important issues like goals. Even if an offside non-call results in a goal you have to draw a line somewhere or we'll have a bunch of those review sessions every game instead of the actual game. Anyway there were times when all calls were made by the refs on the ice, you know? and it worked.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 12:55 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
The linesman waved that off..
So? Sometimes refs wave off some icings that should most DEFINITELY be called. Usually results from a lack of effort by the other team to retrieve the puck.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:25 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Yeah that was a pretty bad missed call :/

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:34 AM
MessierII

Oh the NHL. Hopefully the linesman get it together so we don't see this in the later rounds. Sharks fans can relate to this.

MessierII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:40 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

meh, the habs lost game 4 against the Bruins in overtime last year on a botched offside. This is nothing. Get over it.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:12 AM
GeeoffBrown

Offside calls are blown in nearly every game. It's unfortunate that this one lead to a goal. How can you review something that happened before the goal?

GeeoffBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:13 AM
Oil Gauge
5+14+6+1=97

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeoffBrown View Post
Offside calls are blown in nearly every game. It's unfortunate that this one lead to a goal. How can review something that happened before the goal?
I dunno if you could say every game, the linesman do a pretty damn good job on most nights

Old
04-12-2012, 03:15 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcoraces View Post
Let`s put it in terms most will understand:

In baseball a blown out call is not reviewable, even if it costs a team the game.

In football a missed holding call on the line that opens a hole and allows the running back to scamper in for the gw td is not reviewable.

In basketball a missed call on an obvious foul as the shooter is trying to lay in the game winning basket is not reviewable.

These are all judgmental calls, as was the blown off-side call tonight. None of this is reviewable, nor should any of them ever be reviewable. It's just part of the game and over the years, they usually even out.
Offside isn't a judgmental call. Either the puck crossed before the player or it didn't.

Goaltender interference IS, since it's a matter of how you interpret the things that happen around the net. Same applies for most penalties, and icing as well, since the referee has to judge whether or not a player possibly could have reached the puck before it crossed the goal line.

Just like a high stick or the puck fully crossing the goal line is reviewable, so should an offside that directly results in a goal. They're calls that are based on fact. I'd also like to see them review the puck hitting the net above the glass. It's nothing drastic and would only be reviewable on a scoring play, just like the way we currently review high sticks.

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:25 AM
Oil Gauge
5+14+6+1=97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
Offside isn't a judgmental call. Either the puck crossed before the player or it didn't.

Goaltender interference IS, since it's a matter of how you interpret the things that happen around the net. Same applies for most penalties, and icing as well, since the referee has to judge whether or not a player possibly could have reached the puck before it crossed the goal line.

Just like a high stick or the puck fully crossing the goal line is reviewable, so should an offside that directly results in a goal. They're calls that are based on fact. I'd also like to see them review the puck hitting the net above the glass. It's nothing drastic and would only be reviewable on a scoring play, just like the way we currently review high sticks.
Offside is a judgmental call, the rule is just more cut and dry as to the set of rules that you use to judge an offside or not. A linesmen needs to use his judgment to judge if the puck entered the zone before the player did or not.

The linesmen also has to judge if a player has control of the puck or not when crossing the blue line, or he needs to judge if the defensive player carried or passed the puck back into the defensive zone which would negate an off-side.

There is lots of judgment when calling off-sides.

Old
04-12-2012, 03:32 AM
mizzoublues29
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Human error is part of the game. If this was in favor of your team you wouldn't gave made this thread. Things happen. Suck it up.
This.

Just like baseball with balls/strikes and base runners. Refs, linesmen, and umpires are human and will miss a call. It shouldn't be a difficult concept to grasp

mizzoublues29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 03:36 AM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Here is what the NHL is thinking IMO to try to answer the OP.

They want the games to be finished within a reasonable time-frame. Could you imagine if every possible offsides could be reviewed? If you start allowing offsides reviews, then you pretty much have to review icings too. It would open up other things being reviewed as well like the delay of game penalty (clearing the puck out of the rink). Games would take FOREVER to finish. Constant breaks would kill the flow and make the game almost unwatchable, much like baseball. Now you could say just to review important calls, but who is to say what is and isn't important? Every offsides or icing call has the potential to be game changing. You just can't review everything. Sometimes you have to leave it to the guys on the ice. This is one of those times IMO.

As has been mentioned, calls are botched a lot for both sides. It happened in this game for both sides; one on an icing and one on an offside. You have to overcome that adversity.

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote