HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Lowe is now in a great position

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2003, 11:43 AM
copperandblue

vCash: 500
Lowe is now in a great position

What a difference a couple days make.

This time last week the perception around town was that Lowe desperately needed to pull the trigger on a deal (Comrie or other wise) simply because of our situation at center and now not only has he solved the problem at that position but he has managed to free up another asset to possibly dangle if a real nice deal for Comrie does come along but needs a little extra to complete it.

Seems to me there all of a sudden all sorts of options available.

He no longer needs to necessarily trade Comrie for some roster players because Oates solves alot of our problems in that area.

The rumors have had alot of interesting names but many were dismissed because they weren't centers. Well now he doesn't need a center at all for this year.

He knows that he has two veteran Defence locked up for a few more years (granted Cross isn't exactly a guy you build around). By Staios signing, it basically frees up Smith for a possible trade should Lowe choose to because he knows at least one of them (Smith or Staios) will be around for a couple more years. Tome that's a huge trading chip to have. Smith seems to be regarded similar to Laraque in the sense that alot of teams seem to like him even though he isn't really the same player he was three years ago when every one was singing praises about him.

Finally he has an option to walk away from Salo's contract at the end of the year so he has some budget to play with going into the next season if he chooses to.

So with those factors, what should Lowe do?

Wait till the draft before doing anything with Comrie now? Some GM's tend to get a little silly at the draft when the idea of a deal comes up. Maybe that is the time that Lowe has the most leverage to dangle a 23 yr old 33 goal scorer and the rights to a hard nosed defenceman that has leadership ability. Not to mention that he would also know by then whether or not he is paying for a 3.9 mil goalie.

Or should he just wait till the trade deadline? This year more than any other teams amy be willing to sell the farm in order for one last shot at the cup before the CBA.

Or finally look to pull the trigger as soon as he can just to put the whole mess behind him and the team?

any thoughts

Old
11-19-2003, 12:11 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Mostly agree, but... I think Smith is returning to his form of 2-3 years ago this year. I don't know if the Oil will continue being able to afford all of Smith/Staios/Brewer/Cross plus another 3 NHL salaries though. Right now, it looks like Gator's the odd man out, being not as young as Brewer and not having signed a relatively long-term contract like Staios. Cross is probably safe too, as he's not terribly expensive and is fairly reliable, as well as not as valuable in a trade.

Old
11-19-2003, 12:41 PM
WFHACommish

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus
Mostly agree, but... I think Smith is returning to his form of 2-3 years ago this year. I don't know if the Oil will continue being able to afford all of Smith/Staios/Brewer/Cross plus another 3 NHL salaries though. Right now, it looks like Gator's the odd man out, being not as young as Brewer and not having signed a relatively long-term contract like Staios. Cross is probably safe too, as he's not terribly expensive and is fairly reliable, as well as not as valuable in a trade.
I think no matter what...comrie's going to be traded for a defenceman.

Old
11-19-2003, 12:44 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Smith is one of the top players in the league in plus/minus so I think he is playing pretty well right now. I dobut Lowe is looking to trade him. if he didin't like him, he wouldn't have signed Smith the the long contract.

I think the message Lowe is sending to Comrie is: Yes, you are holding out; no, I'm not spending every minute of every day trying to trade you. I don't feel i need to rush a deal just to please you and your agent. i'm not going to let the fact that you're holding out distract me from other important business i have.

to prove the point lowe went ahead and signed Oates and Staios. Comrie and Winter have to be getting frustrated now.

Old
11-19-2003, 01:18 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanryann
I dobut Lowe is looking to trade him. if he didin't like him, he wouldn't have signed Smith the the long contract.
I am not saying he doesn't like him or that he wants to trade him, just that if he chooses he can with out concerning himself about the possibility of Staios also leaving the team via free agency.

Smith was only signed to one year deal which means it is very possible that unless Smith has a change of approach from his previous contract negotiations, he will be priced off the team.

I would assume that Lowe makes a couple pitches to Smith over the course of the year to try and extend his contract, and if Smith doesn't agree then Lowe will move him as opposed to being bound by another arbitration hearing.

If he waits with Comrie until it is determined what he will do with Smith then by all accounts that is a very very nice package to offer some team.

Old
11-19-2003, 02:42 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
I am not saying he doesn't like him or that he wants to trade him, just that if he chooses he can with out concerning himself about the possibility of Staios also leaving the team via free agency.

Smith was only signed to one year deal which means it is very possible that unless Smith has a change of approach from his previous contract negotiations, he will be priced off the team.

I would assume that Lowe makes a couple pitches to Smith over the course of the year to try and extend his contract, and if Smith doesn't agree then Lowe will move him as opposed to being bound by another arbitration hearing.

If he waits with Comrie until it is determined what he will do with Smith then by all accounts that is a very very nice package to offer some team.
I hear you. I think Staios and Smith are comparable in terms of what they bring to the team.

Old
11-19-2003, 03:46 PM
jadeddog

i was about to post the exact same thread.... with staios signed long term and oates signed for this year, i dont think that lowe really needs to deal for anybody in particular in a comrie trade.... personally i think a center still needs to come back beacuse oates is gone next year and we will be in the exact same situation when he leaves (no number 1 centerman), and our young guys in the system arnt raedy to step into the #1 center role just yet..... BUT, that being said..... lowe has the opportunity to wait as long as he wants and do basically any deal that he wants now.... he is in a *much* better situation than he was 1 week ago

what i would like to see is lowe maybe wait until the draft or at least the deadline to get a deal done..... big names are always moved at the deadline and the draft, and i still think that the oilers should be after a top-2 centermen for comrie..... whats nice is, now that staios is signed, lowe could maybe put comrie and smith together to get back a LEGIT #1 center (depending if lowe can get smith signed long-term over the course of the year)

Old
11-19-2003, 04:08 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
whats nice is, now that staios is signed, lowe could maybe put comrie and smith together to get back a LEGIT #1 center (depending if lowe can get smith signed long-term over the course of the year)
Or some form of a Fischer/Pitkanen type of package. Despite their unwillingness to deal certain such players Det and Philly are NOW teams, they could be motivated to accept a reasonable offer whereas other small market teams couldn't.

On the other hand while a Smith/Comrie package looks promising, during the first week of the Oates acquisition I'll dare to dream a little bit about keeping the current team (with or without MC) together for a playoff run.

Closed Thread