HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Do you like winning more or hate losing more?

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2006, 12:54 AM
StealingSociety

vCash: 500
Do you like winning more or hate losing more?

You sometimes hear from coaches about how they're happy after a win a much shorter time than they're depressed after a loss. I'd have to say that I'm like that too. A loss can really linger and a win makes me happy but after a while I get used to it and don't really care anymore (it's kind of like "yeah, so?"). What about you guys?

Old
03-05-2006, 12:55 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealingSociety
You sometimes hear from coaches about how they're happy after a win a much shorter time than they're depressed after a loss. I'd have to say that I'm like that too. A loss can really linger and a win makes me happy but after a while I get used to it and don't really care anymore (it's kind of like "yeah, so?"). What about you guys?

Do I like Winning or Losing...hmmmm thats hard one, i'll have to sleep on it.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:16 AM
StealingSociety

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Do I like Winning or Losing...hmmmm thats hard one, i'll have to sleep on it.
Read the title of the thread. Do you like winning more or HATE losing more. How about reading the thread title before making a smart *** post? Ok by you?

Old
03-05-2006, 01:41 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Read the title of the thread. Do you like winning more or HATE losing more. How about reading the thread title before making a smart *** post? Ok by you?
Simmer down man.

But yeah I hate losing more than I like winning. When we lose I feel terrible -- wait maybe inferior is a better term. Like say we whoop Philly, I feel stoked and like I can brag the team up and we are invincible. If we lose to a team like Pitt I feel like the Rangers are the scum at the bottom of a shower drain.

Old
03-05-2006, 01:57 AM
StealingSociety

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken
Simmer down man.

But yeah I hate losing more than I like winning. When we lose I feel terrible -- wait maybe inferior is a better term. Like say we whoop Philly, I feel stoked and like I can brag the team up and we are invincible. If we lose to a team like Pitt I feel like the Rangers are the scum at the bottom of a shower drain.
The inferior comment is one thing that contributes to it a lot of the time. Not always, but I had such low expectations going into this season that till very recently I would feel like a loss was "showing our true colors". When we lost to the Blue Jackets, I was thinking how that was the type of game the rangers of old would lose and that we'd go into a nosedive. Today I don't feel that terribly. It had to come to an end some time. What worries me is that we have Carolina next and this can escalate. But otherwise I don't feel too disappointed. We played ok, not great but it wasn't something to be concerned about. Still if we lose a few in a row those feelings will come back. I still feel like this is too good to be true and a losing streak may reinforce that.

Old
03-05-2006, 02:05 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
It's different -- both when I'm playing sports or when I'm watching the Rangers play.

The euphoria of winnnig is addictive, and I've never been as upset after a loss as I've been happy after a win. The great feeling you get from winning will always be stronger than the nasty feeling of losing: that's why I'm a fan and why I compete. On the other hand, losing is a feeling that eats into you and lingers. It can only be wiped away by a good win.

Old
03-05-2006, 02:06 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Because of the attitude. It is now not ok by me.

Old
03-05-2006, 02:16 AM
StealingSociety

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
It's different -- both when I'm playing sports or when I'm watching the Rangers play.

The euphoria of winnnig is addictive, and I've never been as upset after a loss as I've been happy after a win. The great feeling you get from winning will always be stronger than the nasty feeling of losing: that's why I'm a fan and why I compete. On the other hand, losing is a feeling that eats into you and lingers. It can only be wiped away by a good win.
Well I think it has to do with the way you look at life. Maybe you're an optimist. I'm a pessimist by nature, so I can't enjoy a good win too much, or at much longer than the win, the losses however hurt until you win again and if particularly bad and will hurt positioning, it may hurt for a while (what happened with the NY Giants loss to Seattle).

Old
03-05-2006, 02:17 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Because of the attitude. It is now not ok by me.
It's not even ok by me either.

Anyway, a loss lasts much longer than a win lasts.

Old
03-05-2006, 02:18 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
This thread needs:

some of this

Old
03-05-2006, 02:19 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken
This thread needs:

some of this
That's what I tried doing with my last post.

Old
03-05-2006, 02:36 AM
Edge

Personally I hate losing more.

I think by and by it's a human reaction. When things go good you tend to take them for granted and when they don't you tend to thing the world is against you.

Old
03-05-2006, 05:55 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Personally I hate losing more.

I think by and by it's a human reaction. When things go good you tend to take them for granted and when they don't you tend to thing the world is against you.

Agreed. I think, for the most part, people in general are insecure. Losing reveals the flaws you've worked to overcome. You begin to start feeling that everyone will now know that your not what you claim to be.

Last edited by jas: 03-05-2006 at 08:48 AM.
Old
03-05-2006, 08:31 AM
shoothepuck

I hate losing, and I hate losing even more to NJ.

Old
03-05-2006, 09:44 AM
dedalus

I like winning more than I hate losing.

Good things can be taken from a loss; in fact there are probably few losses from which something can't be learned. That helps ease the potential hatred.

Old
03-05-2006, 11:29 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I'm pretty surprised to see the reactions of most folks on this board. If you hate losing so much, why bother being a fan? Isn't it just torture? (I'm not bringing your being fans in to question, I'm honestly curious).

I don't think that it's inherent in human nature to focus on the negative, it's just easier.

Old
03-05-2006, 12:58 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
If we win and play a good game, I'm happy. If we lose and play good, I'm still happy. Right now, we're pretty much assured a playoff spot, so as long as we keep playing hard, I'll be content. But if we were out of the playoffs by like 6 points, then losses would be agitating.

Old
03-05-2006, 02:15 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
I'm pretty surprised to see the reactions of most folks on this board. If you hate losing so much, why bother being a fan? Isn't it just torture? (I'm not bringing your being fans in to question, I'm honestly curious).

I don't think that it's inherent in human nature to focus on the negative, it's just easier.

The side affect is that winning or the ultimate winning tastes even sweeter.

Now while I hate losing more than I usually like winning, it doesn't keep me up nights by any stretch. I function as a human being, have a job, a wife and a child. All in all, it doesn't really matter "that" much in my life. I can live with or without sports.

My views on a lot that really started to change after 9/11. You kind of get to a point in your life when there are things more important that whiney millionaires playing what are essentially kid's games. I still enjoy sports, but I could never quite as impassioned about it anymore. I found there were more important things in my life, in the world then going nuts and being obnoxious about a sport.

Old
03-05-2006, 04:24 PM
StealingSociety

To the person that said, why be a fan? Well that's the problem, I think that being a fan CAN be torture, but hey it's in my blood. One thing that I can think of is that say we get to the finals and win in 7 games I'll be happy, maybe if I can go to the parade and then after that in the offseason, so what, if we lose I'll be thinking of what could've been and probably exaggerate the effects of what winning would've brought. I'd be crushed and it would take a while to overcome. And even when I do overcome it at times I'll be thinking of what could've been. Although, it also would depend on the team. This team it wouldn't hurt as much with because of the expectations before the season, I'd be proud that we just got there (although game 7 would be SO CLOSE). I strangely wasn't demoralized after the NY Giants blew that lead against the Niners in the playoffs, I didn't expect that much from that team and thought that the fact that we actually HAD a 24 point lead in SF was huge.

As far as the insecurity that's basically what I was saying, until I trust a team (and I haven't had that in a while) every loss makes me think that the team was exposed. Although not yesterday's, that much.

Closed Thread