HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Draft Thread II (CBJ to pick #2)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-11-2012, 05:02 PM
  #576
leafobserver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
I have mentioned Nash to the Caps a few times. Johansson is definitely one of the pieces I would require as the return. Based on what the Rangers supposedly offered (yeah, yeah, confirmed by a beat writer.....) the package to get Nash would have to be closer to Johansson, Galiev, Orlov and a 1st. I would certainly add Mayorov to that deal or a pick going the other way but I just don't see Johansson and Brouwer as enough especially with Brouwer's impending UFA status.
I think the deal offered by the Rangers and the deal we've put together hear speaks to how difficult it is to make a deal like this happen.

I think your proposal could happen if WASH goes deep this spring, but doesn't get adequate play from Semin, thus making WASH entertain upgrading him (ie: Nash). However, if they do go deep, you'd have to think that Johansson and Orlov have played a large part in that happening.

On the flipside, if WASH absolutely flops in the playoffs, you'd have to think they'll want to make changes (Semin, Hamrlik, Laich, etc) and replace these parts with a mini-rebuild. If that happens then why would they want to move so many quality assets for one piece?

I'm using WASH as an example, but you could really list any team in this scenario.

leafobserver is offline  
Old
04-11-2012, 05:08 PM
  #577
OldGoaltender
Registered User
 
OldGoaltender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Triad NC
Country: United States
Posts: 809
vCash: 500
I for one would like to see us trade Nash and LA's pick to the Bruins for Rask/Seguin and use the second pick of the draft on Murray.

OldGoaltender is offline  
Old
04-11-2012, 05:18 PM
  #578
Derby
Pilsners in Prague
 
Derby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post
you make that sound like a bad thing.. mackinnon would be the best! that would be such a nice and quick rebuild.
Nice and quick rebuild? Two first round picks later, Oil is still at the bottom. I don't see Mackinnon and whomever we get this draft equaling or bettering EDM's last several drafts.

Derby is offline  
Old
04-11-2012, 05:42 PM
  #579
Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,946
vCash: 500
I am interested in seeing how Holtby performs with the caps.

Matt is offline  
Old
04-11-2012, 05:46 PM
  #580
JacketsFanWest
Registered User
 
JacketsFanWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,747
vCash: 500
The 2013 draft is looking so much better than this group (but last year, no one thought that but injuries have taken a large toll). MacKinnon may not even go first. He just has the most hype due to the Crosby comparisons (which aren't exactly accurate). There's also Anthony Duclair, Elias Lindholm, Sasha Barkov, Hunter Shinkaruk. This could be one of the best crop of forwards in years and players that would go ahead of Yakupov is they were eligible this year.

The trade in 2002 to get Nash was Florida trading the 1st overall to Columbus for the 3rd overall and the option to switch first-round picks in 2003. That ended up for nothing since Florida ended up drafting higher than the Jackets in 2003. Atlanta also go something to keep them from taking Bouwmeester.

Would the Oilers consider a trade like that? Swap picks in 2012 with the option to swap picks again in 2013?

The Oilers would be betting that they do better than the Jackets in 2013.

If a team is going to tank, 2013 seems like a better year to do it in. Now, that could all change if all the top prospects end up injured again, but it's looking crazy good. That's why it would be stupid to use the LA pick in 2012.

JacketsFanWest is offline  
Old
04-11-2012, 06:14 PM
  #581
Nanabijou
Drop the puck
 
Nanabijou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,617
vCash: 500
I've really come to terms with picking #2. What's done is done. The most important thing now is for the Jackets to thoroughly vet each of the top 5 candidates.

If Nail is the best choice (and I'm not 100% convinced), we still have a chance to get him. If Edmonton really wants Murray, they don't have a lot of leverage. If they start inquiring about moving down, you make damn sure that it's leaked that you are taking Murray so they know they can't get him if they try to move back to #3 or #4. The goal is to force them to trade with us, and pick up an equitable asset, or go off the board and take him at #1.

I feel Edmonton pretty much has to take Nail, or they'll trade back and someone else will take him #1. So, if Nail doesn't top our list, we'll likely get who we want anyway.

Nanabijou is offline  
Old
04-11-2012, 06:44 PM
  #582
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
I've really come to terms with picking #2. What's done is done. The most important thing now is for the Jackets to thoroughly vet each of the top 5 candidates.

If Nail is the best choice (and I'm not 100% convinced), we still have a chance to get him. If Edmonton really wants Murray, they don't have a lot of leverage. If they start inquiring about moving down, you make damn sure that it's leaked that you are taking Murray so they know they can't get him if they try to move back to #3 or #4. The goal is to force them to trade with us, and pick up an equitable asset, or go off the board and take him at #1.

I feel Edmonton pretty much has to take Nail, or they'll trade back and someone else will take him #1. So, if Nail doesn't top our list, we'll likely get who we want anyway.
Very interesting, Nana.

pete goegan is offline  
Old
04-11-2012, 07:16 PM
  #583
ThisIsMyAlibi
Howson = Herminated
 
ThisIsMyAlibi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 535
vCash: 500
edit:wrong thread


Last edited by ThisIsMyAlibi: 04-11-2012 at 08:08 PM.
ThisIsMyAlibi is offline  
Old
04-11-2012, 10:13 PM
  #584
BlueJackets66
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 106
vCash: 500
With Murray being the #2 prospect overall it would not be a stretch for the Oilers to take him #1 overall and Nail would slide to us (think Houston passing on Bush to select Mario Williams). This is a legit scenario and potentially likely.

What I don't get is (a let me remind you I am not an NHL scout) when you look at Forsberg's stats it is more than stellar in Jr or in Tier 2 Swedish elite league (not even the top league) so even among his peers is he killing it. I mean that all the top prospects kill it at Jr. level and avg at least 1pt/game, but Forsberg is not even 0.5 pt/gm. If he can not dominate with guys his own age how can he dominate in the NHL? Perhaps in 3-4 years, but we won't/can't wait that long for a guy to develop. I think we take BPA, but who is that Grigs/Gal/Forsberg?? Who knows. I say take Grigs and hope he turns out to be Malkin! I can see in a season or 2 everybody on here saying oh I wish we drafted such and such!

BlueJackets66 is offline  
Old
04-11-2012, 10:33 PM
  #585
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drinking With Carts
Country: United States
Posts: 14,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
Nice and quick rebuild? Two first round picks later, Oil is still at the bottom. I don't see Mackinnon and whomever we get this draft equaling or bettering EDM's last several drafts.
I think its different, just b/c we have a symbolance of a defense where as EDM really doesn't...so our picks of Offense may have a bigger impact b/c of our Defense...and hopefully new Goalie

but I'm also on board with the REALLY out there idea of Johan and 16th for 1st overall, and Nash for 5th and Schenn and taking Nail, Galchenyuk, and Forsberg...I mean we can't bust on all three, can we??? lol

Fro is offline  
Old
04-11-2012, 11:16 PM
  #586
Mobil1fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
If Vancouver doesn't get their act together, LA's pick this year might not be worth much at all.

Mobil1fan is offline  
Old
04-11-2012, 11:43 PM
  #587
JacketsFanWest
Registered User
 
JacketsFanWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJackets66 View Post

What I don't get is (a let me remind you I am not an NHL scout) when you look at Forsberg's stats it is more than stellar in Jr or in Tier 2 Swedish elite league (not even the top league) so even among his peers is he killing it. I mean that all the top prospects kill it at Jr. level and avg at least 1pt/game, but Forsberg is not even 0.5 pt/gm. If he can not dominate with guys his own age how can he dominate in the NHL? Perhaps in 3-4 years, but we won't/can't wait that long for a guy to develop. I think we take BPA, but who is that Grigs/Gal/Forsberg?? Who knows. I say take Grigs and hope he turns out to be Malkin! I can see in a season or 2 everybody on here saying oh I wish we drafted such and such!
Forsberg is one of the youngest players in the draft. He's not NHL ready and you don't draft so you can add a player immediately to the roster. He likely won't be making an impact in the NHL for 2-3 years.

Last season playing for Leksand's U20 Junior team as a 16 year old, he had 21 goals and 19 assists in 36 games which is what really put him on the map. For Leksand's U18 team, he had a goal and 5 assists in 3 games. This season, he only filled in on the junior teams and saw limited ice time. It's seen as not fair when teams play their senior A-level players on junior teams.

Forsberg has dominated when playing in U18 tournaments. This season so far: 5 goals, 3 assists in 8 games. At the WJC (U20) he was seeing limited ice time and was the youngest player on Team Sweden.

He's held his own playing for Leksand in Allsvenskan (this is one of the top teams in the league and is battling to be promoted to the Elite League). It's also the same team that produced Oliver Ekman-Larsson.

Only 5 players in Allsvenskan this season averaged over 1 point per game. It's not a high scoring league (neither is the SEL). Scoring .5/game at age 17 is quite an accomplishment.

JacketsFanWest is offline  
Old
04-11-2012, 11:43 PM
  #588
georgiabluejacket
Registered User
 
georgiabluejacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Georgia
Posts: 696
vCash: 500
Curious as to a 3 team trade where the framework is TOR would get Nash, EDM would get #5 and #18(Our LA pick), we end up with #1, MPS, TOR 2013 1st. Once again this is a FRAMEWORK of a trade, so obviously more pieces would be moved around.

I just thing the fact we end up with the #1(Yakupov) and #2(Murray/Galchenyuk) pick would be our Sedin twins moment, plus we just upped our chances at #1 next year with TOR pick

EDM now could take Trouba/Reinhart at 5, maybe even Olli Matta at 18 so they now have young "elite" talent at the blue line to match what they have up front.

TOR once again gives up high picks for a player(gotta love Burke), but they bring the local boy home.

georgiabluejacket is offline  
Old
04-12-2012, 12:39 AM
  #589
BVBlue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiabluejacket View Post
Curious as to a 3 team trade where the framework is TOR would get Nash, EDM would get #5 and #18(Our LA pick), we end up with #1, MPS, TOR 2013 1st. Once again this is a FRAMEWORK of a trade, so obviously more pieces would be moved around.

I just thing the fact we end up with the #1(Yakupov) and #2(Murray/Galchenyuk) pick would be our Sedin twins moment, plus we just upped our chances at #1 next year with TOR pick

EDM now could take Trouba/Reinhart at 5, maybe even Olli Matta at 18 so they now have young "elite" talent at the blue line to match what they have up front.

TOR once again gives up high picks for a player(gotta love Burke), but they bring the local boy home.

I kinda like it. Would be cool to just get Galchenyuk and Yakupov together somehow

BVBlue is offline  
Old
04-12-2012, 01:13 AM
  #590
georgiabluejacket
Registered User
 
georgiabluejacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Georgia
Posts: 696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1492 View Post
I kinda like it. Would be cool to just get Galchenyuk and Yakupov together somehow
It would be nice to get the best offense and defenseman in the draft, but getting Yakupov & Galchenyuk would leave me

georgiabluejacket is offline  
Old
04-12-2012, 08:07 AM
  #591
cbj21
Registered User
 
cbj21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Shampoo land
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,533
vCash: 500
If we can't get Yakupov from Edmonton we should trade our #2 pick to them for RNH and they can get the 2 Russians.

cbj21 is offline  
Old
04-12-2012, 08:50 AM
  #592
Paisano*
Jury is still out...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 1,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbj21 View Post
If we can't get Yakupov from Edmonton we should trade our #2 pick to them for RNH and they can get the 2 Russians.
Don't think we should hold our breath waiting for that one!

Paisano* is offline  
Old
04-12-2012, 08:57 AM
  #593
Ludicrous Speed
Registered User
 
Ludicrous Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Killumbus
Country: Micronesia
Posts: 11,043
vCash: 500
After years of seeing posters disregard prospects from Scandinavia because of their stats, it gets rather annoying. Put things in perspective for a second: players are NOT handled the same way over there. There's a hierarchy of sorts. Hypothetically, imagine if Forsberg, as a 17 year old was playing in the AHL (just for the sake of argument). Scoring ~.5ppg would seem feasible, and he'd probably get more playing time in doing so. Look at how most Swedes or Finns are brought along and you won't notice many differences in the way they're treated. A fatal flaw among armchair scouts is stat watching. Scouting is more or less about observation – seeing how guys react in certain situations that relate to NHL play, not just their highlights (which is why youtube compilations are a dangerous way to judge a player... I could compile the highlights of a guy pegged to go in the 6th round, but if I told you he was slated to go in the first, the highlights would rub off on you in a deceiving way).

With that said, I'm not too sure if Forsberg is the right pick FOR US, even though I like the player a lot. The attractive thing about him is that he may have the highest ceiling in the draft, but he will need to be allowed to develop properly, which is not exactly our strong suit. He'd be my third choice behind Murray and Galchenyuk.

Ludicrous Speed is offline  
Old
04-12-2012, 09:21 AM
  #594
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
After years of seeing posters disregard prospects from Scandinavia because of their stats, it gets rather annoying. Put things in perspective for a second: players are NOT handled the same way over there. There's a hierarchy of sorts. Hypothetically, imagine if Forsberg, as a 17 year old was playing in the AHL (just for the sake of argument). Scoring ~.5ppg would seem feasible, and he'd probably get more playing time in doing so. Look at how most Swedes or Finns are brought along and you won't notice many differences in the way they're treated. A fatal flaw among armchair scouts is stat watching. Scouting is more or less about observation – seeing how guys react in certain situations that relate to NHL play, not just their highlights (which is why youtube compilations are a dangerous way to judge a player... I could compile the highlights of a guy pegged to go in the 6th round, but if I told you he was slated to go in the first, the highlights would rub off on you in a deceiving way).

With that said, I'm not too sure if Forsberg is the right pick FOR US, even though I like the player a lot. The attractive thing about him is that he may have the highest ceiling in the draft, but he will need to be allowed to develop properly, which is not exactly our strong suit. He'd be my third choice behind Murray and Galchenyuk.
Yeah, I agree. Look at the Europeans under MacLean and even those under Howson, Kubalik, as is a guy like Kirill Starkov under MacLean is a great example... This organization lacks the ability to properly develop the guys that actually come over here. Developing these players is more difficult than developing North Americans, and this organization is pretty bad at it. I'm starting to think unless we can swap with Edmonton for a reasonable price and take the only guy thats expected in Yakupov, I think we need to deal the pick.

KeithBWhittington is offline  
Old
04-12-2012, 09:47 AM
  #595
squarelaces
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 562
vCash: 500
Two questions:

1- Would Ryan Johansen be the #1 prospect if he were in this draft?

2- Assuming that the draft order was selected as presented on the broadcast, what were the odds between Edm and us before the final ball was picked?

squarelaces is offline  
Old
04-12-2012, 09:56 AM
  #596
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarelaces View Post
Two questions:

1- Would Ryan Johansen be the #1 prospect if he were in this draft?
I don't see how.

Quote:
2- Assuming that the draft order was selected as presented on the broadcast, what were the odds between Edm and us before the final ball was picked?
I think they just pick one "ball". There is only one selection, the winner.

blahblah is offline  
Old
04-12-2012, 10:47 AM
  #597
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Assuming Yakupov goes #1, what is the general consenus on who you guys will select? Grigorenko? Forsberg? Galchenyuk? Murray?

Trying to get a feel for hwo will be available when the Habs pick.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline  
Old
04-12-2012, 11:35 AM
  #598
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Assuming Yakupov goes #1, what is the general consenus on who you guys will select? Grigorenko? Forsberg? Galchenyuk? Murray?

Trying to get a feel for hwo will be available when the Habs pick.
Since our opinion matters little to Howson and Company, our consensus will mean little to your endeavor.

There is a growing sentiment towards Murray, however, I think I remember reading something about Howson and a rumored link to Forsberg (correct me I'm wrong people).

There is every possibility we don't pick #2.

Frankly I don't think you will get any clear direction based on our answers. Sorry.

blahblah is offline  
Old
04-12-2012, 11:37 AM
  #599
650X2
Registered User
 
650X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Assuming Yakupov goes #1, what is the general consenus on who you guys will select? Grigorenko? Forsberg? Galchenyuk? Murray?

Trying to get a feel for hwo will be available when the Habs pick.
Your guess is as good as ours. Half of us want Murray, Half of us want Grig, Half of us want Forsberg.

As for what that organization will do, probably the most illogical thing imaginable.

Yes 3 halves.

650X2 is offline  
Old
04-12-2012, 11:42 AM
  #600
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!
 
CBJ Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: In Hiding
Country: United States
Posts: 876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Yeah, I agree. Look at the Europeans under MacLean and even those under Howson, Kubalik, as is a guy like Kirill Starkov under MacLean is a great example... This organization lacks the ability to properly develop the guys that actually come over here. Developing these players is more difficult than developing North Americans, and this organization is pretty bad at it. I'm starting to think unless we can swap with Edmonton for a reasonable price and take the only guy thats expected in Yakupov, I think we need to deal the pick.
#2 overall AND the LA pick (15th?)

for

#1 overall AND #31 overall (their 2nd round pick)

Anymore than that would be overpayment.

CBJ Bob is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.