HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

2012 NHL Mock Draft

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-10-2012, 07:51 PM
  #1
spfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 855
vCash: 500
2012 NHL Mock Draft

1.EDM - RW Nail Yakupov
They need defense, but they have to go BPA here. Possilbility of trading down. 3 times in a row! Unimaginable! They got their LW then their C now they get a RW.

2.CBJ - D Ryan Murray
They could possibly go with Grigorenko, but i think they'll avoid THIS Russian since Murray and Grigorenko are a lot closer than either of them to Yakupov. This still fills a big need despite them losing out on the superstar forward.

3.MTL - C Mikhail Grigorenko
Exactly what they need. Great forward with size to boot.

4.NYI - D Matt Dumba
Like Edmonton, they have drafted forwards for a while now and finally draft a d-man.

5.TOR - C Alex Galchenyuk
They get their #1 center. See what happens when you don't trade your high 1st rounders away?

6.AHM - D Jacob Trouba
Need on defense and good value here. They'll be back on track in no time.

7.MIN - D Griffin Reinhart
Filling a need and getting good value here too. Brodin and Reinhart will look good.

8.CAR - LW Filip Forsberg
Staal and Skinner struggled this year and so they bring in some great help.

9.WPG - D Cody Ceci
Set with their forwards and now they add some defensive help.

10.TBL - D Morgan Rielly
Will be a great pairing with Hedman.

11.WSH(from COL) - C Radek Faksa
Another good piece added to a stacked team.

12.BUF - C Brendan Gaunce
Nice depth and fills a need.

13.DAL - RW Sebastian Collberg
Good value to a team lacking big time in the prospect pool, especially at forward.

14.CGY - D Olli Maatta
A very safe pick that will get some pressure off of Bouwmeester finally.

spfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:11 PM
  #2
YoSoGordo
Registered User
 
YoSoGordo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 470
vCash: 500
Yeah I will be very questioning if we don't take yakupov, good mock draft. Foresberg might be a bit low but good.

YoSoGordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:45 PM
  #3
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft
 
pooleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 5,643
vCash: 500
whenever the Leafs draft Galchenyuk im happy, therefore great mock

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:54 PM
  #4
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,226
vCash: 69
Love Trouba, but lately I've been leaning on Forsberg a bit. Murray loves Swedes and if the report that he can play C is true, then I think Anaheim picks him up.

One thing on FF's description, I wouldn't put any money on FF making the NHL next year.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:33 PM
  #5
spfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoSoGordo View Post
Yeah I will be very questioning if we don't take yakupov, good mock draft. Foresberg might be a bit low but good.
Thanks. I think Forsberg might be the one to fall a bit. He could go anywhere between 4-8. I wouldn't say he's ahead of the d-men i put ahead of him. They're all pretty equal, so the need is the tie-breaker.

spfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:37 PM
  #6
spfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Love Trouba, but lately I've been leaning on Forsberg a bit. Murray loves Swedes and if the report that he can play C is true, then I think Anaheim picks him up.

One thing on FF's description, I wouldn't put any money on FF making the NHL next year.
Well You know how i feel about Anaheim's forwards and defense. Tons of great prospects among forwards, especiallt at wing, but thin on the blue line. I think Trouba would be a bigger impact for them than Forsberg.

I mean he'll help Carolina in the future not necessarily next year.

spfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:40 PM
  #7
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 11,676
vCash: 746
Dallas won't pick a RW.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:56 PM
  #8
spfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Dallas won't pick a RW.
They need everything except a goalie. BPA all the way for them.

spfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:25 PM
  #9
catters078
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 3,051
vCash: 500
You probably havent looked at Dallas' prospect pool much..

I think its innaccurate to say "lacking big time in the prospect pool"

Our top 10 prospects are as good as most teams prospects in the league.

And with Alex Chiasson, Reilly Smith, and Tomas Vincour all RW prospects who will make the team next year (and the year after in chiassons case) added to current RW loui eriksson and Michael Ryder, they won be drafting a right wing.

They will pick the best available centre or D man

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 05:40 AM
  #10
spfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by catters078 View Post
You probably havent looked at Dallas' prospect pool much..

I think its innaccurate to say "lacking big time in the prospect pool"

Our top 10 prospects are as good as most teams prospects in the league.

And with Alex Chiasson, Reilly Smith, and Tomas Vincour all RW prospects who will make the team next year (and the year after in chiassons case) added to current RW loui eriksson and Michael Ryder, they won be drafting a right wing.

They will pick the best available centre or D man
In my opinion Dallas has a very weak prospect pool. Jack Campbell was probably a big mistake. Jamie Oleksiak is the only good one in my opinion. Scott Glennie looks like a real bust. This is really hurting them.

I think they go BPA no matter what, excluding goalies of course.

Ryder probably won't be a Dallas Star that long, he'll likely sign elsewhere when he's a UFA. He doesn't seem like the type to stick around long.

spfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 05:58 AM
  #11
catters078
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 3,051
vCash: 500
So you know 3 prospects names..and because you know no others you label it weak?

What about Reilly Smith (3rd rd pick in 09), 3rd in NCAA goal scoring this season, who went straight to the NHL after his college career ended..only 20 years old

Or Patrick Nemeth (2nd round pick in 10), Big Physical Shut down defenseman who has played top 4 minutes this year in the swedish elite league, and was one of Swedens best Defenseman in last years WJC (assisted on the championship winning goal)

Or Alex Chiasson (2nd round pick in 09) , over three years was a PPG winger for Boston University who will go pro next season

Richard Bachman is still Classified as prospect, yet we all saw how promising he can be as a future starter.

And I wont even mention Phillip Larsen and Tomas Vincour who made the step up and played all season in the NHL.

The Jury is still out on what Campbell and Glennie can do but I think Glennies second half of the season in the minors shows he will be on Dallas' roster next season and is finally ready.

That group I mention plus Oleksiak is as good a prospect pool as most.

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 06:27 AM
  #12
spfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by catters078 View Post
So you know 3 prospects names..and because you know no others you label it weak?

What about Reilly Smith (3rd rd pick in 09), 3rd in NCAA goal scoring this season, who went straight to the NHL after his college career ended..only 20 years old

Or Patrick Nemeth (2nd round pick in 10), Big Physical Shut down defenseman who has played top 4 minutes this year in the swedish elite league, and was one of Swedens best Defenseman in last years WJC (assisted on the championship winning goal)

Or Alex Chiasson (2nd round pick in 09) , over three years was a PPG winger for Boston University who will go pro next season

Richard Bachman is still Classified as prospect, yet we all saw how promising he can be as a future starter.

And I wont even mention Phillip Larsen and Tomas Vincour who made the step up and played all season in the NHL.

The Jury is still out on what Campbell and Glennie can do but I think Glennies second half of the season in the minors shows he will be on Dallas' roster next season and is finally ready.

That group I mention plus Oleksiak is as good a prospect pool as most.
I know them all. I research the players more if i don't know them already.

I questioned the Campbell pick at the time as i thought it was a reach and he's not playing well in the OHL at all and his last showing at the WJC which is pretty much where he has dominated, he didn't this time at all. You can blame the team, but he could of been better still. He should of been the top goalie again. Lehtonen will be the starter for a while anyways so i doubt Campbell gets a chance(if he makes it even) or Bachman(barring any injuries to Lehtonen again).

I thought Glennie would be a good pro. Skating,defense,goal scoring,playmaking, he had it all, but he can't seem to put all the tools together at the pro level. He'll definitely be needing another year in the AHL. I would be expecting a lot more from him considering how high he went and how much promise he had shortly ago.

Collberg brings more upside than Girgensons and i think they overall really need a top forward. They will have a lot of centers to pick from next year anyways.

Dallas' mediocrity has placed them here. Not a good-great team, but not bad, but also haven't been able to draft that great of prosects. Plus with Glennie and Campbell struggling that hurts.

spfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 08:18 AM
  #13
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
I know people keep saying "Forsberg won't go 8 or later" but when you really look at the teams picking, if the Islanders go defense (which they probably will) that leaves Toronto and Anaheim as potential targets because it's highly unlikely the Wild pick FF, and he's not going top 3. Neither Toronto nor Anaheim are really looking for a winger, so the only way I really see either of them picking him is if they are either completely blown away by his play, or think he can play center.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:41 AM
  #14
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 11,676
vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by spfan View Post
I know them all. I research the players more if i don't know them already.

I questioned the Campbell pick at the time as i thought it was a reach and he's not playing well in the OHL at all and his last showing at the WJC which is pretty much where he has dominated, he didn't this time at all. You can blame the team, but he could of been better still. He should of been the top goalie again. Lehtonen will be the starter for a while anyways so i doubt Campbell gets a chance(if he makes it even) or Bachman(barring any injuries to Lehtonen again).

I thought Glennie would be a good pro. Skating,defense,goal scoring,playmaking, he had it all, but he can't seem to put all the tools together at the pro level. He'll definitely be needing another year in the AHL. I would be expecting a lot more from him considering how high he went and how much promise he had shortly ago.

Collberg brings more upside than Girgensons and i think they overall really need a top forward. They will have a lot of centers to pick from next year anyways.

Dallas' mediocrity has placed them here. Not a good-great team, but not bad, but also haven't been able to draft that great of prosects. Plus with Glennie and Campbell struggling that hurts.
You didn't address cater's point at all. You're just talking about our 1st round picks when our organizational depth is at RW atm. Vincour, Smith and Chiasson will be NHL players in some form. It's also very debatable that Collberg is BPA at 13, and when considering our organizational need for Centers, I don't see us passing on the C or D options there.

Campbell has been lights out in the AHL so far btw. Small sample size, but judging goalies prospects on their junior numbers is just as flawed.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 01:46 AM
  #15
spfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
You didn't address cater's point at all. You're just talking about our 1st round picks when our organizational depth is at RW atm. Vincour, Smith and Chiasson will be NHL players in some form. It's also very debatable that Collberg is BPA at 13, and when considering our organizational need for Centers, I don't see us passing on the C or D options there.

Campbell has been lights out in the AHL so far btw. Small sample size, but judging goalies prospects on their junior numbers is just as flawed.
Also judging Campbell on his last WJC performance.

With Faksa and Gaunce gone, i see Dallas going Collberg. Teravainen is a possibility too, but again, he's a winger. Matt Finn, Olli Maatta and Zemgus Girgensons are possible too, but i think Collberg fills a need and has the most upside. Dallas isn't a team to really go for need that much too. They should go BPA really. They're not strong anywhere except in goal. So in my opinion BPA is Collberg and Dallas picks him.

spfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 01:59 AM
  #16
FlareKnight
Registered User
 
FlareKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,089
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I know people keep saying "Forsberg won't go 8 or later" but when you really look at the teams picking, if the Islanders go defense (which they probably will) that leaves Toronto and Anaheim as potential targets because it's highly unlikely the Wild pick FF, and he's not going top 3. Neither Toronto nor Anaheim are really looking for a winger, so the only way I really see either of them picking him is if they are either completely blown away by his play, or think he can play center.
I guess it really will depend on how things go 1-4. If Grigorenko and Galchenyuk are gone the Leafs might as well grab Forsberg. Ideally go after a center, but don't think they'll turn him down to reach for any center that is left. Leafs don't have a #1 center, but they do have some decent centers in the system. Nothing wrong with bolstering the wing and exploring the possibility of him moving to center.

But I suppose if a couple D go in the top 4 and the Leafs can get one of the centers then anything is possible for where Forsberg could end up.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.