HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Chris Kreider leads small group of NCAA prospects for New York Rangers

Old
04-11-2012, 06:45 AM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Chris Kreider leads small group of NCAA prospects for New York Rangers

With last Saturday's National Championship win, the 2011-12 NCAA season ended for Rangers' prospects.

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:06 PM
nafsregnar27

vCash: 50
Hopefully they sign the Swedes, didn't realize they had 2 months to do it.

nafsregnar27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Leslie,
You expect the Rangers to sign Fasth but not Lindberg?
And can you clarify something else,
Quote:
This season there were four skaters on the Rangers' reserve list that took the ice in Europe. Two of them, Jesper Fasth and Oscar Lindberg, must be signed to professional contracts by June 2012, or New York will lose their rights.
Is that June 1st or 30th?
There is a development camp in June, can they sign them after or it has to be before?

Thanks.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 02:09 PM
GAGLine

June 1st. If we don't sign them by then, they re-enter the draft.

That's what happened with Erixon last year. Calgary had to sign him by June 1st or he would have gone back into the draft. They couldn't get a deal done with him, so they traded him to us and we signed him by June 1st.

The rules are basically the same for Swedish players as they are for players drafted out of the CHL. The team holds the player's rights until June 1st of the year following the draft. If the team gives the player a bonafide offer and it is not accepted, then the rights extend for another year. After that, the player will go back into the draft if not signed. The only difference is the restriction on playing in the AHL. Players drafted out of Sweden can play in the AHL before they are 20.

The rules are different for Russian players because there is no transfer agreement between the NHL and Russia. I'm not sure about all the other countries, but I think the rules for them are the same as for Russia. Basically, the team holds the player's rights indefinitely. For example, Pashnin and Kveton. We still hold their rights despite never signing them to a contract.

Last edited by GAGLine: 04-11-2012 at 02:29 PM.
GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 02:25 PM
GAGLine

Relevant parts of the CBA:

Quote:
8.6 Reserve List-Exclusive Rights.

(a) Commencing with the 2005 Entry Draft, a Player selected by a Club in the Entry Draft shall be registered on the Reserve List of the selecting Club as an "Unsigned Draft Choice."

(i) Subject to the provisions of Sections (b), (c) and (d) below, such registration shall establish for such selecting Club the exclusive right of negotiation for the services of each Player selected and registered as against all other Clubs up to and including June 1 of the next calendar year following the date of his selection.

(ii) Subject to the provisions of subsection (iii) below and Sections (b) and (c) below, if, on or before June 1 of the calendar year next succeeding the Entry Draft, the claiming Club makes a Bona Fide Offer (as defined below) to its claimed Player of an SPC, the Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for the services of such Player up to and including the second June 1 following the date of his selection.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:43 PM
eco's bones

Lindberg and Erixon are cousins. Got to think if the Rangers make an offer to Lindberg he'll sign.

Most of us I think would agree that Fasth though is the more important one.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 02:57 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Lindberg and Erixon are cousins. Got to think if the Rangers make an offer to Lindberg he'll sign.

Most of us I think would agree that Fasth though is the more important one.
Not only are they cousins, they have the same agent whom the Rangers have a good relationship with.

Lindberg and Fasth are must signs! Hobbs is a lot of meh and Kveton's time has come and gone, he'll stay in Europe for every. Pashnin is only a few years behind Kveton and will likely follow a similar path staying in the KHL. A shame too, I had hopes for Pashnin but with V-tank not getting the love by the organization, you can't blame him.

vipernsx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:25 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
June 1st. If we don't sign them by then, they re-enter the draft.

That's what happened with Erixon last year. Calgary had to sign him by June 1st or he would have gone back into the draft. They couldn't get a deal done with him, so they traded him to us and we signed him by June 1st.

The rules are basically the same for Swedish players as they are for players drafted out of the CHL. The team holds the player's rights until June 1st of the year following the draft. If the team gives the player a bonafide offer and it is not accepted, then the rights extend for another year. After that, the player will go back into the draft if not signed. The only difference is the restriction on playing in the AHL. Players drafted out of Sweden can play in the AHL before they are 20.

The rules are different for Russian players because there is no transfer agreement between the NHL and Russia. I'm not sure about all the other countries, but I think the rules for them are the same as for Russia. Basically, the team holds the player's rights indefinitely. For example, Pashnin and Kveton. We still hold their rights despite never signing them to a contract.
Ok, that clears it up for me.
Thanks.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 04:03 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Get Fasth signed ASAP!

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 04:18 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The Rangers can sign them and loan them back to the teams in Sweden. Ottawa signed Jakob Silfverberg last spring and loaned him back to Brynas in Sweden. The 1st season of the SPC counted this season but they had the player signed.

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=2063

Quote:
Monday, 30.05.2011 / 2:08 PM / News
Ottawa Senators

OTTAWA - Ottawa Senators general manager Bryan Murray announced today that the club has signed forward Jakob Silfverberg to a three-year entry-level contract. Silfverberg recently concluded 2010-11 play by helping Team Sweden earn a silver medal at the 2011 IIHF World Championship in Slovakia.
http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=564181

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 04:24 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

They'll both be signed. The Rangers can't afford not to sign Fasth, he's one of the most talented offensive players in the system.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 04:52 PM
jmb9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
They'll both be signed. The Rangers can't afford not to sign Fasth, he's one of the most talented offensive players in the system.
Fasth had a terrible leg injury this year

jmb9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 04:58 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb9191 View Post
Fasth had a terrible leg injury this year
Yes, but he came back to play in the playoffs. The injury won't stop the Rangers from signing him.

Old
04-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

I know it's hard to get a read on Lindberg since he's in Sweden, but what's his ceiling at this point? Sjostrom with a little less speed? 3rd/4th liner with 10+ goal potential?

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I know it's hard to get a read on Lindberg since he's in Sweden, but what's his ceiling at this point? Sjostrom with a little less speed? 3rd/4th liner with 10+ goal potential?
Lindberg has some offensive upside, but they basically expect him to be a defensive forward. Maybe 10-15 goals per year.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Edge

Truth be told, I really like Lindberg. I don't think he will be a dynamic NHL scorer, but he kid of reminds me of a cross between Sundstrom and Betts. A guy who quietly does the little things as a bottom six forward.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
Lindberg has some offensive upside, but they basically expect him to be a defensive forward. Maybe 10-15 goals per year.
Love him as a faceoff guy. If he can bring, kill penalties and pop in 10-15 goals, I'd be thrilled.

He's an easy guy to overlook because he's just not a flashy offensive player, never will be.

At the very least, I like his odds better then I like Werek's.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Love him as a faceoff guy. If he can bring, kill penalties and pop in 10-15 goals, I'd be thrilled.

He's an easy guy to overlook because he's just not a flashy offensive player, never will be.

At the very least, I like his odds better then I like Werek's.
i think Lindberg will be a Sami Pahlsson type in his prime....

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Edge

Now that you mention him, that's a pretty good comparison. Although I think he might have s little more offensive upside.

Old
04-12-2012, 06:23 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Fasth is represented by Kurt Overhardt. Lindberg is a represented by Jay Grossman.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 06:38 AM
allrevvedup25

I really hope that Danny Hobbs gets a contract from the Rangers. I have a feeling that he will be an effective plugger (bottom 6 player) in the future. He just needs some time in the minors. I feel this way because we are from the same hometown

allrevvedup25 is offline   Reply With Quote