HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers interested in Justin Schultz as a free agent

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2012, 11:14 AM
dccuse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
it's going to be one hell of an interesting offseason.

last year everyone knew it was Richards or bust.

This year there is potentially...

Schultz
Yakupov
Nash
Ryan
Parise
and Suter

That's a whole lot of options to talk about lol.
Man if we signed this guy it would be smart to unload a d-man in exchange for a move-up in the draft. If we could go internal for the last scoring winger we needed, rather than big FA contract, we'd be in great shape to lock up all our younger pieces long term, as their contracts begin to expire.

I'd assume Erixon wouldn't be traded to Edmonton, despite not having a "say" he clearly didnt want to be in Calgary. But i would seriously consider staal or girardi and maybe our first in exchange for their first and a later rounder, if Schultz signed and was ready. I suppose thats based on my hope that Erixon at some point can step in and play competent D.

Yakupov would be a nice winger for Stepan and I cant fathom edmonton wants another forward piece, leaving the weakness on D, and not doing anything to bridge the gap to the competitive status they'll need to resign all these guys in a few years.

Would Edmonton do Mcilrath, Dubinsky and our first?

Draft day will be interesting - especially if Columbus wants out of their spot.

Old
04-11-2012, 11:55 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post
No way. Not even close. Yakupov is expected to be a franchise player. Dubinsky makes 4.2 mil and is coming off his worst year as a pro. McIlrath is entirely unproven. And our 1st will probably be somewhere in the 24-30 range. We'd have to give up more than that to get them to move down 20+ spots.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:26 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Not to be a Negative Nancy but I think he signs with Vancouver to be close to Mom and dad.

The Rangers and Canucks are both elite teams with a lot of good years ahead of them. i think he picks the team closest to where he grew up.

Just my opinion.

All the Rangers have (besides NYC being the greatest place in the world) is the Macdonagh/Stepan connection. You wonder what kind of friendship they had, if any.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:37 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
Not to be a Negative Nancy but I think he signs with Vancouver to be close to Mom and dad.

The Rangers and Canucks are both elite teams with a lot of good years ahead of them. i think he picks the team closest to where he grew up.

Just my opinion.

All the Rangers have (besides NYC being the greatest place in the world) is the Macdonagh/Stepan connection. You wonder what kind of friendship they had, if any.
What you say makes sense, but the interesting thing is the published articles that appear to give the Rangers the inside track. Those have to come from somewhere. Have we seen anything similar about Vancouver?

Old
04-11-2012, 12:39 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post
Man if we signed this guy it would be smart to unload a d-man in exchange for a move-up in the draft. If we could go internal for the last scoring winger we needed, rather than big FA contract, we'd be in great shape to lock up all our younger pieces long term, as their contracts begin to expire.

I'd assume Erixon wouldn't be traded to Edmonton, despite not having a "say" he clearly didnt want to be in Calgary. But i would seriously consider staal or girardi and maybe our first in exchange for their first and a later rounder, if Schultz signed and was ready. I suppose thats based on my hope that Erixon at some point can step in and play competent D.

Yakupov would be a nice winger for Stepan and I cant fathom edmonton wants another forward piece, leaving the weakness on D, and not doing anything to bridge the gap to the competitive status they'll need to resign all these guys in a few years.

Draft day will be interesting - especially if Columbus wants out of their spot.
LOL try Dubs, Artie, MDZ, and 2 firsts and they wont laugh at you

Old
04-11-2012, 12:45 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
What you say makes sense, but the interesting thing is the published articles that appear to give the Rangers the inside track. Those have to come from somewhere. Have we seen anything similar about Vancouver?
I'm sure the scribes in Vancouver are using the "hometown" rationale as well. I'm too lazy to look, though.

Vancouver is a beautiful city. The girls are smoking hot and the lifestyle is what everybody raves about. Sure, they dont know how to take a loss (LOL), but I think it's not a deterrent.

Unless he grew up hating his parents and wanting to get as far away from them as possible. I mean, that was my excuse at 17.

I'm speculating big time. But in all honesty I think Vancouver makes the most sense because their defense will have holes to fill while ours is technically set for the next 8-10 years.

Old
04-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Off topic, but still want to say this: Edmonton got 3 straight first overall picks. This is as n unbelievable bonanza. I dont think anyone ever drafted first overall three times in a row.

Together with their 2008 pick, their forwards swill be unbelievable for the next 12-20 years. And defense? They can always draft defensemen in the second this year, plus first and second round in the next couple of drafts.

They will be a great team for a long time.

Old
04-11-2012, 07:00 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Off topic, but still want to say this: Edmonton got 3 straight first overall picks. This is as n unbelievable bonanza. I dont think anyone ever drafted first overall three times in a row.

Together with their 2008 pick, their forwards swill be unbelievable for the next 12-20 years. And defense? They can always draft defensemen in the second this year, plus first and second round in the next couple of drafts.

They will be a great team for a long time.
Quebec Nordiques from 1989-1991 (Mats Sundin, Owen Nolan, and Eric Lindros).

Old
04-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Quebec Nordiques from 1989-1991 (Mats Sundin, Owen Nolan, and Eric Lindros).
And it's interesting to note that none were part of their championship teams. They did however get a boatload of talent for Lindros which helped. Says something for the argument that sometimes its better to have a bunch of talent.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
And it's interesting to note that none were part of their championship teams. They did however get a boatload of talent for Lindros which helped. Says something for the argument that sometimes its better to have a bunch of talent.

Forsberg alone had a better career than Lindros, so not only did Quebec get quantity, it turned out that it got the best player in the deal too.

Duchesne was also a good player, and Ricci was solid too. Hextall, Huffman, Simon and T-bo (drafted with the Philly first rounder) also came in useful. Arguably the biggest rip-off ever.

Our offer of Doug Weight, Tony Amonte, Alexei Kovalev, John Vanbiesbrouck, three first round draft picks (1993, 1994 & 1995) and $12 million was also terrible. Had we made this trade, everyone would still have chanted 1940. Our offer was actually worse than Philly's. Quebec/Colorado would have been a dynasty had they pulled this trade with us.

Old
04-12-2012, 06:42 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Yakupov is not a Rangers type of player. Franchise player? EJ Hradek spoke to a few scouts who saw Yakupov in the OHL playoffs and they were not impressed with him. The Sarnia coach apparently had a bad series. In 2001,Stanislav Chistov was the next Paul Kariya. Smallish player. Great skills. Excellent skater.

Chicago had Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook in place before Toews and Kane were drafted. The Oilers don't have a Keith or Seabrook on D. That Hawk team in 2010 was loaded. Edmonton needs an entire team. Its easy to finish last or 2nd to last every year.

Old
04-12-2012, 07:03 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I don't think there's any franchise players in this draft.

Im very comfortable holding onto all of our assets and drafting where ever we are slotted (hopefully #30).

Sign Schultz.

He can look at Stepan, McDonagh, Hagelin, Kreider and see the Rangers have a solid recent history of applying NCAA players to the NHL roster. While being a top team.

There are two spots to be won in camp on defense.

Staal, McDonagh, Girardi, Del Zotto are locks.

But the bottom pair is wide open. Especially with Sauer's uncertainty regarding his health (concussion).

Rangers have a lot to offer to a player like Schultz.

Old
04-12-2012, 07:29 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Yakupov is not a Rangers type of player.
Definitely (ridiculously) incorrect and one of the most common misunderstandings on this board is definitely in line with the above, in other words that there only is a distinct "type" of player that can play for us.

Quote:
Franchise player? EJ Hradek spoke to a few scouts who saw Yakupov in the OHL playoffs and they were not impressed with him. The Sarnia coach apparently had a bad series. In 2001,Stanislav Chistov was the next Paul Kariya. Smallish player. Great skills. Excellent skater.

Chicago had Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook in place before Toews and Kane were drafted. The Oilers don't have a Keith or Seabrook on D. That Hawk team in 2010 was loaded. Edmonton needs an entire team. Its easy to finish last or 2nd to last every year.
I definitely agree, from a 1st overall in the draft perspective. I've had little time to follow the undrafted kids lately, but from the players I have seen, it seems like a very weak top 10 draft. This kid Filip Forsberg from Sweden looks great on the ice for example, but has not been able to put it together against men in the 2nd tier league in Sweden -- and normally, a kid like that is glad to go in the top 20 and many have had him in the top 4.

Nail Yakubov is of course a great prospect, but I would definitely label his potential as more of a goto scorer then real franchise player (say a Dats/Toews/Malkin type).

Last edited by Ola: 04-12-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old
04-12-2012, 07:43 AM
McDunna with Fries

The addition of Schultz will be a PERFECT fit for the Rangers. Great pickup for a low cap hit for the next few years and a refined offensive defenceman which should greatly improve our powerplay struggles. DO IT.

Old
04-12-2012, 08:33 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

This isn't a Yakupov thread fellas, keep it on topic.

04-12-2012, 09:25 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The Rangers should be at the top of list of teams for Schultz. They have players in his age group. Other NCAA players. He played with McDonagh and Stepan in school. The team have a big need for an offensive D. Its a very good team. Excellent leadership. Great goaltender. Solid coaching. Some of the other rumored teams such Edmonton and Toronto stink. He can be paired w/Staal or McD to help his transition into the NHL. Does he want to play at home for the Canucks? That's not an easy thing. Wheeler signed with Boston and he's from Minnesota. Wheeler felt the best fit for him was Boston. Phil Kessel was also his buddy from Minny. Brendan Smith is in the AHL and the Wings have five D signed for next season. Lidstrom and Stuart are free agents. Either Lidstrom returns or the Wings sign Suter. No fit with the Wings.

Old
04-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Ola

Quote:
Edmonton needs an entire team. Its easy to finish last or 2nd to last every year.
I don't know if I agree with this...

Their two, supposedly "future", leaders (RNH and Hall) entered this season as just 18 and 19 y/o. Eberle is only 21 y/o and MPS (who some is calling a bust almost) is the exact same age as Kreider (both are born in April), IE 20 y/o... Gagner is what 22-23 y/o. For example.

That's one really young team.

On a team like that, when 2-3, and in this case probably more like 3-4, young players really takes off and establish themselfs as capable top 30 goto scorers or whatever -- many players around them gets alot "better".

D's like Ryan Whitney, Ladislav Smid or Cam Barker and co were in a horrible position this season. They or, probably more likely, guys like them, will in the coming 2-3 years all of a sudden get alot more support.

Qubeck/Colorado could build a team of all the assets they had. At a point they had like Sakic, Sundin, Forsberg, Sandis Ozolinsh, Deadmarsh, Scott Young, Kovalenko, Rucinsky and co on their depth chart. But if you look back at their 1996-2000 rosters, almost every name is recognized and respected. Take a player like Aaron Miller, I wouldn't hesitate to state that became the players he was at his prime because of playing for that team -- not the other way around. And to diffrent extent, that of course also applied to guys like Uwe Krupp, Adam Foote, Sylvian Lefebvre, Mike Keane, Stephan Yelle and co.

Its no given that EDM has a ton of work infront of them before they can compare themselfs to what Colorado became. And they could of course never get there. No doubt. But I actually don't doubt that they will find a somewhat winning identity just without making too many big changes.

Old
04-12-2012, 11:04 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The Oilers have a ton of work to do before that team becomes a legit playoff team. Steve Tambellini has been their GM since 2008. What significant move has he made to make that team better? All of his trades are lateral moves or soft deals for picks/prospects. Its not an attractive situation for Schultz or any free agent who has better options.

Old
04-12-2012, 12:47 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Wheeler's just one example.

Look at Gilroy and the decision he made. Multiple suitors, top-heavy d-man prospects. Stayed local.

Granted, what kid wouldnt want to be a young millionaire in Manhattan? I think Schultz is nuts if he turns down the chance to play for an organization like the Rangers.

But we really dont know what kind of kid he is. Eaves says he's "quiet". So was Kevin macreynolds and look how that fiasco turned out.

By no means is Vancouver a place like East Smallville, MT. Hockey players there get treated like Jeter does here.

Like I said, both Vancouver and New York City are enticing. I just think Vancouver makes more sense because he has less guys to leapfrog on the depth chart. Salo and Ballard are done. It's really only Bieksa, Edler and Hamhuis.

On the Rangers, it's Staal, Girardi, MDZ, Macdonagh and maybe Sauer. Those guys cant run a PP like Schultz, but no way he'll be a top-4 here anytime soon.

Old
04-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
The Oilers have a ton of work to do before that team becomes a legit playoff team. Steve Tambellini has been their GM since 2008. What significant move has he made to make that team better? All of his trades are lateral moves or soft deals for picks/prospects. Its not an attractive situation for Schultz or any free agent who has better options.

I will also disagree with this. The 2 things that the Oilers need are 1) another scoring threat; 2) another top-4 defenseman.

The additional scoring threat will be The Nail. With 3 first-overall picks, all forwards, plus others like Eberle, Gagner and Hemsky, and prospects like Lander, Omark, Hartikainen, Hamilton and Pitlick, that's a hell of a forward corps. They will be almost unfair in a couple of years.

On defense, they have Petry, Whitney, Smid, plus prospects Klefbom, Maricin and Mucil. That's a very good start. Add Schultz to the defense, and even the defense is suddenly looking terrific.

Other than the terrible weather in Edmonton, I see no reason why a young player wouldn't want to go there. Unless it is mismanaged, Edmonton will be the best team in the NHL over the next dozen years. Not every year, but nobody will be as consistently good as the Oilers.

Old
04-12-2012, 03:47 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
I will also disagree with this. The 2 things that the Oilers need are 1) another scoring threat; 2) another top-4 defenseman.

The additional scoring threat will be The Nail. With 3 first-overall picks, all forwards, plus others like Eberle, Gagner and Hemsky, and prospects like Lander, Omark, Hartikainen, Hamilton and Pitlick, that's a hell of a forward corps. They will be almost unfair in a couple of years.

On defense, they have Petry, Whitney, Smid, plus prospects Klefbom, Maricin and Mucil. That's a very good start. Add Schultz to the defense, and even the defense is suddenly looking terrific.

Other than the terrible weather in Edmonton, I see no reason why a young player wouldn't want to go there. Unless it is mismanaged, Edmonton will be the best team in the NHL over the next dozen years. Not every year, but nobody will be as consistently good as the Oilers.

It's a poorly run organization. They can do all the reality shows they want and hearken the glory days, but the truth is that they have terrible overall organizational depth, especially when you consider they are not a desired free agent destination.

Whitney stinks. Smid is average at best. All the other guys are young and unproven. Their goaltending is a disaster. Their front office is a disaster.

There are only a few teams who are trending downward in the West...Calgary, Columbus, maybe San Jose. The rest of the West will continue to make life difficult for the Oilers.

Sure, it might appeal to Schultz to go an organization built around offense and finesse. But there are winning teams already like that who will give him a chance to star, make a lot of money and give him a chance to be a champion.

Edmonton doesnt fit that bill at all.

Old
04-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
It's a poorly run organization. They can do all the reality shows they want and hearken the glory days, but the truth is that they have terrible overall organizational depth, especially when you consider they are not a desired free agent destination.

Whitney stinks. Smid is average at best. All the other guys are young and unproven. Their goaltending is a disaster. Their front office is a disaster.

There are only a few teams who are trending downward in the West...Calgary, Columbus, maybe San Jose. The rest of the West will continue to make life difficult for the Oilers.

Sure, it might appeal to Schultz to go an organization built around offense and finesse. But there are winning teams already like that who will give him a chance to star, make a lot of money and give him a chance to be a champion.

Edmonton doesnt fit that bill at all.

Other than goaltending, I don't see major problems with the Oilers. And goaltending can be acquired relatively inexpensively unless you are looking for a superstar. A quality starter becomes available every now and then for very low price.

Whitney doesn't suck, he's just not in the right position because they expect him to be the leader of their blueline corps. Put him on the second pair as the #4 defenseman and suddenly he'll look much better.

The fact that other guys are unproven isn't a big deal. I will take 3 first overall, but unproven guys over anything the Rangers have. Who are our top 3 guys? Richards, Gaborik and Callahan. Are you telling me you wouldn't trade them for Hall, RNH and The Nailer, proven or not?

Give it 2 years and Edmonton will be insane good.

As for other teams in the West, I definitely see Detroit trending down. I'm not at all excited about where Calgary is going. Winnipeg will be a weak team in the West. Dallas will probably get a little worse in the coming years. Vancouver will continue to be a good team, but probably not as good as they've been the last two seasons.

Old
04-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Other than goaltending, I don't see major problems with the Oilers.
The fact that Edmonton is a frigid ****hole isn't a "major problem" for you?

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Old
04-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I have no idea how someone who lives in Philly would consider Edmonton's temperature a turnoff for potential players

I'll take the cold.

04-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I have no idea how someone who lives in Philly would consider Edmonton's temperature a turnoff for potential players

I'll take the cold.
I lived in Philly for a while, but lived in a relatively nice area compared to the inner city. If you lived in the metro area, you'd just have nice suburbs in South Jersey or South Eastern PA. Both are great areas to live.

Edmonton is a frigid ****hole. A wasteland of epic proportions. A city where people go to die unnoticed and uncared about. They could film any given end of the world movie in Edmonton since living there would be the end of MY world. Unlike living in a city with a nice suburban area, you can't escape the complete frigid ****hole-ness that encompasses Edmonton.

Closed Thread