HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Montreal Canadiens Have Requested To Speak With Robitaille & Hextall for GM Position

Old
04-11-2012, 04:11 PM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

vCash: 500
Maybe they'll flip us Pacioretty for Richardson and the rights to Parse if they hire Lucky...

DoktorJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 04:30 PM
The Judge

I think what Luc has done for the Kings is tremendous. But if he wants to go, then go... "thank you."

Whether he will be a great GM or not no one can really know until he takes the job. Give the guy a chance.

Judging him already as a bad GM is sort of "disrespectful" IMO. Opinion or not, he means the world to the Kings and the community.

Hope I am not being too sensitive.

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 04:43 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
On the business end, little things here and there. It's only hearsay, but some Canadian reporter suggested (2-3 seasons ago?) that there was some sort of power struggle between Luc & Lombardi. Something about Luc having an issue with Kopitar's contract, as if it was any of Luc's business.

And then Luc had the comments about "building around your captain". I don't know if this was regarding when Blake came back or Chris Pronger in Philly, but the implication was that if your captain was 36-years-old, then the GM needs to go out & get a bunch of other 36-year-olds to somehow compliment that aged leader.

Oh, and these boring black uniforms are because Luc was reminiscing about the Gretzky era.
Unsubstantiated hearsay from media... check.

Taking a partial quote out of context... check.

False claim about the design of the new jersey...check.

Someone's hatin'. The first two don't need any explanation. About the new logo, Luc said the design was a mixture of three different designs the Kings used in the last. The shape of the patches the Kings wore in the 70s. The crown of the 2000s, and the colors of the Gretzky era.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 05:08 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Luc can do whatever the **** he wants. How annoying is it to read people's opinion on him being a ****** GM when the poor man has never even had the opportunity. Say that **** about Mike Milbury, but not Luc.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
I love Luc as a guy, but he would be a terrible GM.
Link?

I love GoKingsGoo as a poster, but he would be a terrible father.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 05:42 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Link?

He doesn't have any experience. Being President of Business Operations isn't so closely related to being the General Manager of an NHL team.

Of course we don't actually know whether Luc will be a good or bad GM until he tries it, but imo, he should stick to things like advising, developing players, and marketing the sport. I don't think being a GM is his thing.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 05:49 PM
yankeeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr irreverent View Post
luc can do whatever the **** he wants. How annoying is it to read people's opinion on him being a ****** gm when the poor man has never even had the opportunity. Say that **** about mike milbury, but not luc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr irreverent View Post
link?

I love gokingsgoo as a poster, but he would be a terrible father.
right on dude freaking amazing how people think,love it

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
I would rather see him GM in Montreal than hold a position that isn't as meaningful here. Hopefully Luc gets the job.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Hexy doesn't exactly have the best history with les Habitant

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Sybil227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Luc has LA's eternal love and gratitude, but he has no experience, no formal education, little credentials. It isn't a knock on Luc, but they are thinking about making him GM, just because he has been around the game, there is a lot more to being a GM than just having first hand knowledge of the game. Would you want Sean Avery as a GM? Most hockey players don't go beyond to coaching or management, and when they do, they typically have to gather a good amount of experience on the sidelines or have had a good education and can use their status to get on the fast track. Luc obviously has tremendous status, but so does Gretzky, doesn't mean he can walk up and be a GM without any training or experience.
Not a whole lot different from Dave Taylor, who was our GM for awhile. And while he made strides to improve the organization while he was GM - you can see there's a world of difference between him & what DL brought. That said, I really hope Luc becomes the Montreal GM..... and trades all their best prospects to us.

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 06:48 PM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Link?

To say Luc would be a terrible GM is unfair, as we don't actually know what he's capable of.

That being said, we don't know what he's capable of because he has no experience as a GM. I don't think it would be a wise choice for Montreal (especially if a guy like Hextall, who has been in management for years, is their other candidate).

redcard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Seeing Hextall as GM of Montreal would seem....weird. Considering the history between the two makes it a funny duo. Maybe he'd hire Chelios too. Same with Luc, just because he's been a King in my mind even when he was playing elsewhere

All the luck if one of the two goes to Montreal, best of luck. But even better if they stay

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Then he'll be fired 6 years later with a basement-dwelling Montreal team. Won't that be nice?
They're already there...

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:36 PM
blueinmtl

Think we are really after Hextall as Luc is more a cover for the rabid linguists here. Been too many times down the no-experience-necessary path recently. Plus marketing nous is unnecessary here.

Which is still shocking considering the past especially with Chelios and the Nords...though the only thing we care about the past now is how many retro jerseys we can sell through it.

Obviously setting up the talks for after the Kings win the Cup. Good luck, LA has always been my 2nd team, if nothing else eliminate the Canucks.

blueinmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 02:21 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings man 4 life View Post
I just barfed in my mouth a little from reading that if Luc has any love for the Kings and pride as a player he'll give Montreal the finger. The concept of him running that franchise just makes my blood ****ing boil. Someobody post a You Tube vid of Obi'wan telling Luke to run.
Really? Lucky Luc is a King, always will be. But this would be a great opportunity for him. I'd be happy for him.

Look at Steve Yzerman. He similarly learned the management style in a position that is strikingly similar to Luc's current position and eventually got his GM job with TBL and has really done a solid job there overall. I think Luc could have similar success as he has spent many years learning that part of the job here in LA. I'd be very happy if he got the job.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:15 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
Luc just seems like too nice of a guy to be a good GM.
Would've thought the same thing about Yzerman and look how that's turned out.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:21 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Don't see this happening. Montreal is just doing their due diligence.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
They're already there...

True, but I'm thinking absolute worst!

Hey, if the Habs want to do what the Pens did from 2003-2005 and what the Oilers did in 2010-2012 (that is, pick first overall for 3 straight years), then Luc Robitaille is their guy. Luc gets experience, the people of Montreal get their French-speaking, "perfect fit" GM, and the Habs get the BPA for 3 straight drafts. Everybody wins! That is, unless Luc is silly enough to trade those 1st rounders.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:54 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Luc would certainly be an upgrade over the gong show they've had in the front office in Montreal of late.

Hextall doesn't speak French does he?

Of the two, Hextall certainly has the stronger resume from a hockey operations perspective.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 10:47 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Shame on everyone here. Just like the scouts who didn't think much of him back then its the same here now. Why do people here think he can't do the job? He's to nice a guy? Do we think all Ex-King players are losers? Well I love Luc and whatever he wants to do even if its being the Ducks GM I will always wish him well.
Not really saying he can't, just saying of all the candidates likely to be out there, he's not the most qualified, at least IMO. I'd rather go with Hextall over Luc, and there's more candidates than that. I'd welcome letting Luc go to do the job and fully support him doing it, but he wouldn't be my first choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I would rather see him GM in Montreal than hold a position that isn't as meaningful here. Hopefully Luc gets the job.
This. While he's not my first choice, I'd drive him to Montreal myself just for him to have the chance. It just speaks volumes about the organization when people inside are candidates for other positions higher up in other organizations. When ws the alst time someone from inside this organization went on to become a GM elsewhere (jumping directly from the Kings to that GM post that is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Would've thought the same thing about Yzerman and look how that's turned out.
Yzerman also had Team Canada duties on his resume.

Quote:
True, but I'm thinking absolute worst!

Hey, if the Habs want to do what the Pens did from 2003-2005 and what the Oilers did in 2010-2012 (that is, pick first overall for 3 straight years), then Luc Robitaille is their guy. Luc gets experience, the people of Montreal get their French-speaking, "perfect fit" GM, and the Habs get the BPA for 3 straight drafts. Everybody wins! That is, unless Luc is silly enough to trade those 1st rounders.
Damn dude what's your hate. Many others have posted questions or just debunked your claims about Luc and you think he'll turn the Habs into a three time repeat basement dwellar? You are saying this based on absolutely nothing other than your own personal opinion, which to me is just sad considering Luc has been nothing but supportive and hardworking for this organization for much of the past 26 years. Respect your forefathers dude.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 10:51 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

If these rumors are true then I say that both of these guys have obviously done more than their fair share of heavy lifting for the team and deserve whatever opportunities that they are given to further their careers if they want.

Hope they stay but if they decide to go then go get em and all the best. Watching Luc lift the cup as a Wing still gave me a warm fuzzy. Rather he would have been a King obviously but still happy for him.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Respect your forefathers dude.

I respect what Luc did on the ice, moreso than the respect I have for what Gretzky did on the ice. But does that mean those dudes will have equally incredible careers as GMs or coaches, respectively? No, it does not. Nostalgia over how great certain players performed during their playing careers should NEVER be used as a gauge when assessing how said players will perform later in life. I mean, you could, but it's borderline nepotism. If that's your mindset, then so be it. Many of you people have blinders on. It's up to you to determine whether it's in your best interests to remove them.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 01:32 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
I respect what Luc did on the ice, moreso than the respect I have for what Gretzky did on the ice. But does that mean those dudes will have equally incredible careers as GMs or coaches, respectively? No, it does not. Nostalgia over how great certain players performed during their playing careers should NEVER be used as a gauge when assessing how said players will perform later in life. I mean, you could, but it's borderline nepotism. If that's your mindset, then so be it. Many of you people have blinders on. It's up to you to determine whether it's in your best interests to remove them.
My point is you are using NOTHING as a gauge for your dislike for him. Even if you feel it's a big jump to go from his current position to that of a GM (something another poster pointed out is a place Yzerman was in as well), that still is an unjust of a reason to say he'd run a team into the ground for 3 staight dead last seasons as it would be for me to say he'd be a great GM because he was a great player.

You are bashing the guy for no just reason, and that is where your lack of respect is showing.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 10:29 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

What difference does it make if either Luc or Hextal end up being a good or bad GM?

The fact is that they have both earned their shot at going out on their own and I for one hope they end up getting the chance to do so. I mean why is there even a discussion about rather or not they will succeed at being an NHL gm?

I wish both of them the best.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 10:41 PM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

I don't think luc will move his family. He loves his family and loves la. He is not going anywhere especially with the team la has right now.

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote