HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No Season ending Presser

Old
04-12-2012, 08:14 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I could not care less about this decision. If anything, I am tired of the talk and empty clichés--and that's all we'd be getting. I want actions not words.
This

I don't want a press conference. I want a better team on the ice in 2012-13.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:27 AM
Skelley

Well according to Harrington, they "got us", and by not having a boring, cliche filled presser they've let down every fan...

Quote:
Amazing how many fans don't get why it's a joke #Sabres aren't having a presser. They do what they want, you keep buying. They got you.
As others have said, who cares, put a better team on the ice next year. I dont think most fans happiness is derived from hearing management say the same things they always do, it comes from winning on the ice. And people keep buying because they love this team regardless, at least I do. But keep researching which non-playoff teams have already had pressers Mike... haha

Skelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:28 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

I'll spend my entertainment dollar on whatever I damn well please Mr. Harrington. But thanks.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:31 AM
HiddenInLight

Harrington is a disgrace, throwing a temper tantrum because nobody respects him and the team won't pander to his *****ing...

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:31 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Quote:
Given the current state of the relationship between TBN and the organization, I'd be shocked if this ownership holds one again. They're not going to give Sully, Gleason and Harrington the forum to air their grievances and pander. They're going to write what they're going to write regardless of what's said at a presser. What good would come from this? Catharsis? Some romanticized idea of facing the music.

I could not care less about this decision. If anything, I am tired of the talk and empty clichés--and that's all we'd be getting. I want actions not words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
This

I don't want a press conference. I want a better team on the ice in 2012-13.
This.

And if it's vitriol you want, you could always check out the video chat with Gleason, Harrington and Vogl at 10AM today on http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...-at-10-am.html.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:32 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
I am curious how much of this has to do with the fact that the Buffalo news was clearly trying to push the "divide between Lindy and the players" narrative during locker room clean out day. How many other teams players faced questions about their personal relationship with the coach at interviews? I mean, it's silly. They basically stood with Vanek and Roy for 15 minutes each asking them if it was Lindy's fault the team was where it is. Not asking about anything relevant to the season, but 15 minutes of "tell us where the bad man hurt you".

I wouldn't want to give them a press conference either.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:36 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

I feel like at this point anyone not affiliated with TBN could email Uncle Teddy and get a straight answer on pretty much anything before the unholy trinity of Gleason / Sullivan / Harrington.

Old
04-12-2012, 08:49 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
I feel bad for Vogl. He's the only true journalist employed by TBN that covers the Sabres. That he's the beat writer, and is being denied the, say "openness" of a presser, is unfair given the quality writing he's published this year.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle806442.ece

Vogl got Black on the phone and he put together a great article based off that conversation.

Here is the part on no presser:

Quote:
Early indications suggest there will not be a season-ending news conference for Ruff and Regier. In addition to the meetings looking ahead to next season, the duo has gone about their daily routines by traveling to Rochester on Tuesday night to watch the Amerks play.

They had little reason to stay in Buffalo because the Sabres cleaned out their lockers Monday.

Old
04-12-2012, 09:12 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
This.

And if it's vitriol you want, you could always check out the video chat with Gleason, Harrington and Vogl at 10AM today on http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...-at-10-am.html.
One question in 10 minutes at 10:06 AM. Its now 10:12 AM, no answer. Bet they're busy trolling on twitter.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:21 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProngersEyeball View Post
One question in 10 minutes at 10:06 AM. Its now 10:12 AM, no answer. Bet they're busy trolling on twitter.
Nevermind, lucky me the work web filter has decided to block TBN's video.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Can somebody let me know how long the relationship between the Sabres and the TBN guys has been this bad? I remember it really going south after Bucky's "GM for a Day" column leading into the Briere/Drury offseason but was it this contentious before that? I don't really remember.

I don't necessarily see the value in doing an end of the season press conference for an organization who's president and coach are on the radio every week, GM usually a couple times a month. What questions need to be asked now that couldn't be asked a couple weeks ago? To me, the News guys want this because it makes their jobs easier.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Clock

Meh, who cares. If they had one this thread would be filled with crap about how many soundbites we'd hear.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:34 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Meh, who cares. If they had one this thread would be filled with crap about how many soundbites we'd hear.
Which, in large part, was my point. What good was it going to do? It wasn't going to make anyone happy. It'd just be more fodder to ***** about.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:34 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

I don't really care about a season ending press conference either way. The only part I find lame is that my guess is they'd hold one had the team done well this season.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Clock

Quote:
Which, in large part, was my point. What good was it going to do? It wasn't going to make anyone happy. It'd just be more fodder to ***** about.
Yup, agreed. I think most of it has been said already.

Old
04-12-2012, 09:45 AM
DixonWard15

Quote:
Jeremy White ‏ @JeremyWGR
#Sabres should have a postseason presser. I want to hear from Darcy/Lindy/Terry. But not many teams do what Ted Black is doing now on WGR
Mike Harrington ‏ @BNHarrington
@JeremyWGR Doesn't count. Speaking on the flagship radio station with screened calls from fans is not speaking to the media. At all.
@JeremyWGR No time to be patting the president on the back for appearing on the station when the owner, GM, coach are kept hidden.
Harrington real mad y'all
Quote:
#Sabres absolutely missing the point. You connect to fans through media. Black always available. Should hold presser w/TPeg, Darcy, Lindy.
Harrington is missing the point, the Sabres can connect with fans however they want to. Print media is dead and insignificant. They got you all mad bro.

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:47 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post

Harrington is missing the point, the Sabres can connect with fans however they want to. Print media is dead and insignificant. They got you all mad bro.
I'm going to crack up if there is a blogger summit soon with Pegula, Regier, and Ruff.

Old
04-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Harrington is complaining solely because he is missing out on a professional opportunity. I am not saying he shouldn't be upset by it but that's his own problem. Trying to convince the fans that it should be a huge deal to us is laughable.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post

I can't believe anyone who listened to this morning's segment would believe these calls were screened. People were saying they weren't renewing season tickets until there was real change; one guy attacked Black and said he was only on to inflate his ego and then threatened that the blame was soon going to fall on them unless they got rid of Ruff and Regier; and, generally, he was taking some hits on the phone.

(I thoroughly enjoyed the guy who called after the guy who said he wasn't going to renew and essentially said, "Great, I'll take his tickets, we were looking for two more seasons." )

Old
04-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Harrington is complaining solely because he is missing out on a professional opportunity. I am not saying he shouldn't be upset by it but that's his own problem. Trying to convince the fans that it should be a huge deal to us is laughable.
That's about it.

Old
04-12-2012, 09:52 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Exactly.

They're not moaning about the Sabres not speaking to the media. They're moaning about the Sabre not speaking to THEIR media.

They'd much rather walk the block down Washington street and grandstand on a livestream asking 'tough questions' then have to make phone calls and write articles.

This crapshow of a 'video chat' is simply their substitute.

Old
04-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Of course that's what it is.

Old
04-12-2012, 09:54 AM
HiddenInLight

Kudos to Jeremy White for trolling Harrington...hilarious.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:54 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Exactly.

They're not moaning about the Sabres not speaking to the media. They're moaning about the Sabre not speaking to THEIR media.

They'd much rather walk the block down Washington street and grandstand on a livestream asking 'tough questions' then have to make phone calls and write articles.

This crapshow of a 'video chat' is simply their substitute.
Black talked to Vogl.

So, it's that specific people within the Sabres org (Pegula, Regier, and Ruff) weren't made available to all the various people at TBN.

https://twitter.com/#!/ByTimGraham/s...29454877724672

Quote:
Tim Graham
‏ @ByTimGraham

Dear media: Best way to get people disgusted with you is to whine about your jobs. Fans don't care how rough you got it. Never will.

Old
04-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Still, I'd like to hear from Regier and Ruff, in addition to Pegula and Black.
On one hand, I would too if for no other reason to see them face some scrutiny but.....

Quote:
If anything, I am tired of the talk and empty clichés--and that's all we'd be getting. I want actions not words.
...on the other hand, I'm also tired of the rehashed cliches, self-serving excuses and rose-colored glasses that Regier keeps repeating each year and see no value in another PC just to hit the "rewind" button on promises and excuses made in the past. Plus, we know all of the buttons that the WGR and TBN media would try to press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
They usually open it up to callers that will ask tougher questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
For what it's worth, White said that every call is unscreened.
Black said on the radio show this morning that when he first started doing the weekly appearance, Simon let him see the screen of upcoming callers - Black told WGR to take that away so he could respond openly and honestly to all callers on a spontaneous, 1-on-1 format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoo View Post
The majority of calls are people thanking him; pre-screened I'm sure. Who knows, either way guess let's see what happens moving forward.
In the first segment, the first caller ("Carl") got on Black right away by asking what he thinks Regier or Ruff will do differently going forward that they didn't do the past 15 seasons. In the second segment, another caller came on and blasted Black for pumping up his ego with the weekly radio show just to feed fans excuses.

Quote:
I feel bad for Vogl. He's the only true journalist employed by TBN that covers the Sabres. That he's the beat writer, and is being denied the, say "openness" of a presser, is unfair given the quality writing he's published this year.
Of the 3 TBN regulars, he's certainly the one that tries hardest to stay objective and not promote a personal agenda or campaign. However, he's never stepped up to the level that I thought Tim Graham elevated TBN's coverage to when he was the regular beat writer covering the Sabres.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote