HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Series Talk - WCQF - #4 Nashville Predators 4 vs #5 Detroit Red Wings 1

Old
04-12-2012, 06:57 AM
Pred303

vCash: 500
playoff hockey... is just so frigging sexy.

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 06:58 AM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

Congrats on the W, Nashville!

SixthSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 07:00 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1131
Congrats on the win last night. Didn't have a chance to watch the game, but when I was checking the box score from last night I noticed Tootoo was out of the lineup. Being a big fan of his since his junior days up here in Manitoba I thought I would drop by and ask about him. I haven't seen him listed on any injury reports, but things do get pretty secretive at this time of year. Good luck the rest of the way

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 07:46 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Bob McKenzie says he does not expect Weber to be suspended (per TSN)

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:06 AM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
Congrats on the win last night. Didn't have a chance to watch the game, but when I was checking the box score from last night I noticed Tootoo was out of the lineup. Being a big fan of his since his junior days up here in Manitoba I thought I would drop by and ask about him. I haven't seen him listed on any injury reports, but things do get pretty secretive at this time of year. Good luck the rest of the way
Tootoo has not been playing very well for most of the 2nd half of the season. He's been surpassed by younger guys who can bring the same energy but more skill (i.e. Borque and Smith). Many feel this will be the last season for Tootoo as a Predator.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:09 AM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

vCash: 50
GO NASHVILLE!!!!

I'm rooting for you guys in the West. Don't care for any team except you guys really.

start winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:11 AM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

At first glance, and the first replay it looked to me like Weber grabbed Z's head with his hand and smashed him face first into the glass... now on more replays, especially the one from above, I think it really shows that Weber used more arm and had him around the shoulders more than anything, his hand was closer to between Z's neck and shoulder pad. Once you see it a time or two, it really doesn't look nearly as bad as it first did.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:19 AM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman536 View Post
How do you see the situation? I've watch a lot of hockey over the years and have never seen a player grab another player's head and slam it into the glass. It was a deliberate attempt to injure, and regardless of the extent of the injury inflicted it deserves a lengthy suspension. You just can't do that. The excuses people are making are laughable. Zetterberg hit Weber first (irrelevant); Bertuzzi landed a shot on Paul Gaustad (per Trotz - this is even more irrelevant).

There is no question Weber is a great player, but he isn't worthy of any respect for such a gutless move. What kind of player is he that he could just snap like that and try to seriously injure another player? And Trotz's comments are ridiculous. I also lost respect for him, who I think (thought) was a great coach. He should shut his pie hole.

Weber will get a one game suspension, showing that Shanahan is just as big of a puss as Weber. Shanahan is already on record as saying the playoffs are different than the regular season. He's a moron, and the NHL will remain a second rate league as long as the league continues treating the playoffs as "different" from the regular season.
So if Shea Weber feels he was hit from behind, with his knee being targeted by Zetterberg (which is intent to injure), he should just take it like a man? Or perhaps say, "Gee, sorry Mr Redwing, I didn't mean to get into your way?"

You really think Weber thought, "Hey...I see an opening here to slam Zetterberg's head into the glass - let's see if we can get him out with a concussion?"

Weber got royally pissed and attempted to let Zetterberg know it. His reaction was over-the-top and I certainly won't cry "unfair" if he gets a game for it. However, I don't believe Weber was out to purposely concuss Zetterberg. He was out to bounce his face off the glass and let Zetterberg know he wasn't just going standby and let him hit him from behind.

But as I said, the reaction was too much and I won't argue if he gets a game. But the Detroit fans screaming that he should be gone for the playoffs or the series are being ridiculous. Weber does not have a history of dirty play. It was wrong and too much, but it doesn't make him a scum-bag.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:35 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
As someone who has taken many ref classes throughout the years (and certified in many sports at some - what i consider - relatively higher levels), refs are taught that the angle of vision greatly affects how you see a play. While in front of a guy going up for a rebound, you can be 100% another guy went over his back to get a rebound. But if you take a look from a different angle, the "over the back" guy was actually 6 inches away from the person in front of them, he just flat-out out-jumped him legally.

To me, same can be said of this instance. ALOT of bigger physical dman use their stick to sweep at the puck with one hand and then with their free hand, use physical force to slam the opponents into the boards. Zetterberg came in with a cheap shot by throwing his elbow into the back of Weber's head (which slammed Weber's head into the glass) and Weber retaliated. For me, Weber originally just shoved him into the boards with his free hand, and then (if you watch from different angles) wrapped his arms AROUND Zetterberg's head and threw him up against the boards. So basically, his bicep is the culprit here, not his hand as some cry-baby Wing fans would have you believe. Yes, I even doubted what I saw live with that 1 replay angle (from the corner from Weber's back-left side), but look at all the other angles... It tells a different story. Please tell me the difference between this and then wrapping your arms around Hornqvist (scrums around the net) and throwing him down to the ice. Oh wait, it is a hockey play, a 2 minute penalty, and has NEVER been suspension worthy.

Notice how McKenzie doesn't think it will be a suspension. Mike Modano (who has NOTORIOUSLY hated the Preds) has rescinded his statement that he thought Weber should be suspended. Jeremy Roenick doesn't think it was worth a suspension. I doubt Weber gets anything more than just a talk with Shanahan. At most, a scolding from Brendan.

My favorite part is how Zetterberg (who threw the first initial cheap-shot, btw) acts like a freaking ***** after he got hit by Weber. If you are going to throw them, you better learn to take them. I used to respect Zetterberg just as much as Datsyuk, but after last night's game... I've lost all respect for a guy that can dish out the cheap shots, but then act like he is dead after he gets hit. Take it like a man Z. Don't turn into Burrows on us.

Last edited by utmfisher19: 04-12-2012 at 01:22 PM.
utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:40 AM
preds1

vCash: 1548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
GO NASHVILLE!!!!

I'm rooting for you guys in the West. Don't care for any team except you guys really.
Thought Goose had a very solid game last night. Thanks.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:51 AM
iceman536
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
So if Shea Weber feels he was hit from behind, with his knee being targeted by Zetterberg (which is intent to injure), he should just take it like a man? Or perhaps say, "Gee, sorry Mr Redwing, I didn't mean to get into your way?"

You really think Weber thought, "Hey...I see an opening here to slam Zetterberg's head into the glass - let's see if we can get him out with a concussion?"

Weber got royally pissed and attempted to let Zetterberg know it. His reaction was over-the-top and I certainly won't cry "unfair" if he gets a game for it. However, I don't believe Weber was out to purposely concuss Zetterberg. He was out to bounce his face off the glass and let Zetterberg know he wasn't just going standby and let him hit him from behind.

But as I said, the reaction was too much and I won't argue if he gets a game. But the Detroit fans screaming that he should be gone for the playoffs or the series are being ridiculous. Weber does not have a history of dirty play. It was wrong and too much, but it doesn't make him a scum-bag.
C'mon, Zetterberg intended to injure Weber? You don't really believe that. I've watched it on my Tivo in slo-mo a bunch of times and I don't see what pissed Weber off. But let's say that Weber reacted to a "dirty hit" by Z. There is no way you can equate a hit in real time action that is, at most, borderline "dirty" with grabbing a guy's head and slamming it into the boards.

It was a blatant attempt to injure and amongst the dirtiest plays you'll see. I don't care much about his history. What is important is this guy snapped and went beyond what a reasonable reaction would be. Weber is dangerous. And it's not like Z has a history of dirty play!

I guess the NHL needs a new rule. If you feel you're a victim of a cheap shot you should get a freebie retaliation. They could grade the infraction by severity. A "1" allows you to spear the guy; a "2" allows you one two-handed baseball swing at the midsection of the offender; a "3" allows you to slam the guy's head into the boards.

Most likely Weber will not get suspended, and the best resolution would be settling it the old school way with one of the Wings giving Weber a face full of knuckles.

iceman536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:15 AM
maplepred

Is gill back for game two?

Also, get ellis in and hillen out trotz

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:30 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman536 View Post
How do you see the situation? I've watch a lot of hockey over the years and have never seen a player grab another player's head and slam it into the glass. It was a deliberate attempt to injure, and regardless of the extent of the injury inflicted it deserves a lengthy suspension. You just can't do that. The excuses people are making are laughable. Zetterberg hit Weber first (irrelevant); Bertuzzi landed a shot on Paul Gaustad (per Trotz - this is even more irrelevant).

There is no question Weber is a great player, but he isn't worthy of any respect for such a gutless move. What kind of player is he that he could just snap like that and try to seriously injure another player? And Trotz's comments are ridiculous. I also lost respect for him, who I think (thought) was a great coach. He should shut his pie hole.

Weber will get a one game suspension, showing that Shanahan is just as big of a puss as Weber. Shanahan is already on record as saying the playoffs are different than the regular season. He's a moron, and the NHL will remain a second rate league as long as the league continues treating the playoffs as "different" from the regular season.
Lets get something straight at the front. If Weber wanted to hurt Zetterberg, Zetterberg would have left the arena in route to the hospital and his hockey career would be over for awhile. Ask that guy who was out of hockey for over a year after testing Weber. That is a fact.

If you even saw the play Zetterberg took a cheap shot on Weber in which Weber's face also hit the glass. The only reason it was not worse is because Weber is twice his size and the little ***** Zetterberg is not man enough to board Weber to the ground. Zetterberg an expert at drawing penalties (like most of the red wings) he went to the ground and to one knee like the actor he is because he wanted to provoke something. He got exactly what he was trying to do with everybody whining about what happened and Weber possibly getting suspended. Zetterbaby is around 6'0 200lbs. If he cannot take his head being pushed into the boards while he is wearing a HELMET then he either needs to grow a set or get out of contact sports.

Bertuzzi punched Goose in the face after the refs were between them after the scrum was over. You talk about a weak/gutless move. Thats one from one of the biggest guys on the Redwings team. If people are going to cry about head shots then they need to cry about that as well.

The Red Wings deserved to be pounded from top to bottom with the crap they pulled last night. I hope the Preds come out even more aggressive on Friday and keep pounding the Red Wings cannot handle rough play on them.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:38 AM
maplepred

So is gill back for Friday guys??

Who cares about this iceman posted he is just trying to get a rise out of us. He knows he is wrong

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:53 AM
AEM6729

Looks like our bottom 6 used Babcock's dumb quotes for inspiration...great to see them step up. Take that, Babcock!

Now if we can just have the top 6 step up a little more we'll be set.

Anyone know if the Game 2 officials will be the same tools as last night? I know it's been said ad nauseum, but the officiating was totally ridiculous for both sides. It got to the point where they were giving us power plays and I didn't even want them b/c it was totally ruining the flow of the game. You knew it was gonna be bad when they opened the game with roughing calls...WTF?! When I hear that there are 17 penalties called in a game, I expect that there were some serious shenanigans going down...not the case last night. Leave the teams alone refs! Let em play!

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:56 AM
iceman536
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
So is gill back for Friday guys??

Who cares about this iceman posted he is just trying to get a rise out of us. He knows he is wrong
Nah just trying to see the other side. Seriously I do see how Z's initial hit could be a check from behind, and in the regular season worthy of a 1 game suspension. Weber's retaliation would be a 6-10 gamer in the regular season. We'll see what the "biased former Red Wing" Shanahan has to say!

iceman536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 10:18 AM
pekkaslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Is gill back for game two?

Also, get ellis in and hillen out trotz
Gill is a warrior, I thought for sure he'd grit it out and play game one and they were just being extra precautious with the old-timer. But I'm thinking now he might actually have a fractured ankle or something and we might not see him in this series at all. Just speculation on my part, but this is the playoffs and the fact he didn't play game one isn't a good sign to me.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 10:23 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

After watching the game I have come to this conclusion, the crowds just turned the noise up to 11. Jesus, I was giving out the warnings of earplugs when the crowd gets to 9, but last night was 11.

Watching Bourque and Halischuk I now understand why Wilson and Smith are on the bench. They simply skate you to death. When they are on the ice, it's no country for old men. Hustlechuk has motor that does not stop. If he can't skate through you, he will skate around you. I wouldn't be surprised if he does some John Woo **** if he can't do either. And my favorite last name in hockey that is not 'Belanger' is Bourque. i was happy when they drafted the kid. I was thrilled he made the team. Now, dig up Shakespeare to create a new word for the elation I feel.

Oh, and I think the Preds won the Arnott trade; Halischuk and Magnus Hellberg.

Another guy who looks like his fueled by something out of a car plant and not anything biological is Radulov. he's skating his ass off too.

Hey Babcock, you're right. The 3/4 line match ups are working out just great. And don't you love the Preds scored 3 Predators goals? Gaustad with the fluke, Bourque with the fluke deflection. Bourque with a second. 3rd and 4th lines scoring a lot.

Sadly, the top pairing had some brain farts, I mean like letting one rip in church level brain farts. the Suter slash was weak. I think the Red Wing was using a stick made of paper mache. But the Penalty during the kill was stupid.

As for WEBER SMASH! If you are going to get a suspension, as least have the common decency to fully push Z's head through the glass and give us a really cool youtube video.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Anyone else worried about Bertuzzi cheapshotting one of our guys?

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 10:36 AM
pekkaslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Anyone else worried about Bertuzzi cheapshotting one of our guys?
I expect it. He already did it once to Goose. Now after all these happenings the likelyhood has increased more.

Old
04-12-2012, 10:39 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I can see it now. Weber is not suspended. In Game 2 he will score the GWG, and Wings fans will complain about how he shouldn't have even been in the game while ignoring the possibility of anyone else scoring the GWG.

And the mods will hang their heads waiting for the worst

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 10:42 AM
pekkaslap

And for the record, Weber is not a dirty player. He's not known for doing that type of thing. He definately isn't someone to let it go though if someone crosses him. He took this incident too far, but it wasn't unprovoked.

Old
04-12-2012, 10:43 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I can see it now. Weber is not suspended. In Game 2 he will score the GWG, and Wings fans will complain about how he shouldn't have even been in the game while ignoring the possibility of anyone else scoring the GWG.

And the mods will hang their heads waiting for the worst

I hope you have a case of that 5 hour energy crap. It's going to get busy

For what it's worth, Cooper stated that a suspension is seeming unlikely.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

vCash: 50
Blues fan here,

Congrats on the win boys and girls.

I don't think the Weber hit was nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. It WAS definitely a penalty maybe even a major, but not worth any sort of suspension. I have a feeling this series is going to get real chippy and soon. That's how you can beat Detroit, get them off their game with physicality and pressure an they will make mistakes.

I'm rooting for you guys, I don't want to face you in the next round, but I really don't want to see Detroit advance.

Go Preds!

(I feel a little dirty saying that

Meatwagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 10:47 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

All I have to say about last night's stats.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote